Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies born~September 16th-30th 2010 #1

Catherine - dont leave! I agree with Belfie and Connie, its so good to hear the different way people are doing things. Can you tell us what routine you are using, i.e. times?

Connie - how did you go with little George's hernia? Chloe wakes up at 6 too - sometimes 5:30 am. arrrrh

As for boobs - you can have some of mine they are SO sore. lol

We had a terrible night last night. I *think* Chloe had a belly ache as she refused to sleep and made these horrible 'arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrh' noises when I put her down and wriggled around a lot. Needless to say we got no sleep last night! We couldnt get a burp out of her either but this morning she did 5 big farts then fell asleep. Although now she is really restless again. Hoping its just something that goes away really quickly.

Belfie - could you pls add isabellas details - Born 29/9/10 4.32am ~ 7lbs 15oz ~ 50cm long
    Thankyou

Catherine - Must of been something in the air last night as Blake was the same, He took so long to go to sleep and also today he is so restless. He hasnt slept much at all today maybe an hour and half tops. I dont know whats wrong with him. I hate not knowing what his sounds are yet. Wish I could help him. He isnt crying though which is a good thing but does make alot of sounds.

Thanks girls. But understand, it's nothing that any of you have said - I just remember what it was like to be a first time mum and the last thing a new mum needs is to feel as though they should routine because it's working so well for someone else.

Connie, are you swaddling George? Some babies hate it, but some babies seem to settle much better being swaddled especially at the end of the day when they are a bit over stimulated from the day. You know what I've even found stimulates Ava? A black and grey striped shirt I wear!! I've been wondering about George and whether because he was premie will he smile earlier than our babies or whether it will be closer to his corrected age? Does he still have a startle reflex? Sorry, I was just curious whether those were things that developed with environmental exposure or just when the brain develops with age. Don't be too concerned if every now and then you let George sleep on your chest because it's the only way to settle him. Do what works, but just remember to try to settle him in his bed next time. Since his self settling mostly during the day, it's not so much of an issue and I 'think' he'll outgrow the night tine thing (sounds like a witching hour thing maybe). I remember with Ro if she was ever a bit unsettled at bed time, I'd pat the side of the cot like a heartbeat and she'd go very quite and just listen. As long as she was tired - but not over tired - her eyes would start to flutter but I could see her fighting it trying to listen to the sound, so I'd just taper off (as quickly as I could) then leave. If any of my babies have gotten over tired (I've always tried to not let it happen too often, but it did happen) I'd have to cuddle or help them to sleep, it was impossible to get them to self settle when they are over tired... Little babies just don't seem to cope well over tired. Another thing you could try to help him settle (it'll only work if he's quiet) in his bed, starting from the crownof his head, with your finger tips brush down over his head down over his eyes, do it a couple of times. Sometimes it just relaxes them enough to help them get themselves off to sleep.

Fuzzy, I follow three hourly routine. 7, 10, 1, 4, 7 and dreamfeed. I feed if bub genuinely wants a feed before three hours, if it's close to three hours, I'll just feed that bit earlier and if there is still more than 45mins till the due feed, I'll top up at the regular feed time. I just don't let any more time pass than three hourly between feeds. Funnily enough, I didn't dreamfeed last night because Ava woke up early wanting a feed at 9pm. So I fed her and went to bed thinking I'll just let her wake up when she wants her next feed. She woke at 2 am and then I had to wake her at 7am... 2 x 5 hour stints! Think I might just see when she wakes between 7pm and 7am for a few nights!

Well I stayed up thinking Ava would feed soon, but she hasn't woken since her 7pm feed. Think I might just go to bed and see when she decides to wake. Hope your all enjoying your beautiful babies.

Btw, Deanna - you can get different flow teats. I think there is one for thicker formula. I've heard of a fast flow teat for thick reflux formula.
    Last edited by CatherineL; October 5th, 2010 at 10:54 PM.

Catherine - thanks for the advice! I haven't swaddled him for a few weeks now because he gates it, he is just one of those babies - he wants his arms to be free.
    We had a really good night last night. We fed him at 7, then put him into his sleeping bag, then I took him into a dark and quiet room and sang a song to him. I then put him into his cradle... By then it was 8pm, he took 25mins to self-settle, but ge did it!! He then slept till dh got him up for his 11pm feed, which for the first time was a dreamfeed because he slept through it. He then slept till 2:30, had a feed and went back to sleep after taking 10mins to self settle. He woke at 5 and 6am, but was able to self settle, then woke at 6:45 in preparation for his 7am feed. I was sooo proud!! Fingers crossed this continues, but I think the problem has been overstimulation and just going into a dark room to calm down before bedtime helped.
    We live in a 1 bedroom apartment, so he doesn't get much quiet/dark time.
    Anyway, I am following a 4 hour routine and it's been working well for us, but I am flexible if he wakes up hungry say 30mins early.
    As for his development... We don't really know what to expect, apparently he will do things closer to his adjusted age, e.g. He is 8.5 weeks old now and hasn't smiled as yet and still has that newborn cry and doesn't really follow a toy above his head with his eyes as yet. He is very strong, so has been able to hold his head up and push off his feet for quite a while now though, so it's hard to say.

Fuzzy - George is booked in for surgery on Friday morning I am a little scared because the doc said prem babies have a high risk of stopping breathing after anaesthetic. They will monitor him and if I'm not comfortable taking him home right away, he can stay the night.

Deana - how did you go last night?

(copied from otheer thread) hoping someone can help me with why Blake cannot sleep while im feeding him and also how to get him to sleep without feeding him?

Dory – Im having the same trouble with Blake. His sleeping pattens are all over the joint and during the day its very hard to settle him down to go to sleep. I have tried starting a routine but he doesn’t want a bar of it. Blake also gets a lot of wind which unsettles him. I have tried everything to help him but nothing seems to work.

As for the nurse saying not to let her sleep while she is feeding, how come? The only time I can settle Blake and get him to sleep is by feeding him. He falls asleep mostly all the time, I always burp him as well but he stay asleep through this. I don’t know how else to make him sleep. When we cuddle him, he is really good but still wont sleep, so I don’t know how else to make him sleep.

Also Blake has changed sleeping pattens and also wont sleep during the day, he may go down for about an hour max all day. Mummy wants a sleep to

deana - u poor thing,, an hour for the whole day!! what a very alert bub u must have! Isabella had terrible wind last night so was our first unsettled night here. God i have flashbacks of DS. It horrible hey! Hope blake gets some strong tummy muscles soon!

Connie - isabella doesnt like to be swaddled either.. cracks it till her arms are out. Tho she LOVEs sucking her hands so thats prob why lol

Had isabella weighed today, 210g !! in 5 days. the midwife goes, i would of been happy with 100g LOL so now shes back to her birth weight already.
    Shes such a boobie baby! I love it LOL

Hope your all well. DS is at the 'inlaws' again so i have a wonderful quiet house. They had him tuesday too and i came home and slept for 2 1/2 hours with isabella.. was WONDERFUL!! so lucky to have there help and DS loves going there! gonna make going to all my apts with isabella MUCH easier!

Im still is SO much pain from my surgery. The tear i think is only just starting to feel a tad better, but my god i cant even sit upright/ barely on at all, a chair, and i grit my teeth climbing in and out of bed ohhh well.... i got isabella out of it!

Ooooh Buzzie - sorry about the pain! That sounds terrible. I didnt tear but I swear an elephant has kicked me up the behind as I struggle to sit, walk etc too. Yay for isabella being such a guzzler! Thats great

Catherine - my gosh I am so jealous that Ava sleeps from a dreamfeed right through to 7 am!! Chloe sounds more like George - she goes to bed at 7:30 then up at 10 for a feed then 2am then 5 am.. If she could drop one of those feeds that would be amazing. FX. I still cant do the dreamfeed thing. There is no way I can get her to feed in her sleep. Sure she often falls asleep and continues to feed but I cant get her to start sucking if she is already asleep!

George has been doing well, he's been waking approx 15 mins before each feed, so 11, 3 & 7. He's also getting better at self settling, so didn't wake at 5 last night! Yay!!!

We struggle to dreamfeed aswell, as soon as we get him up, he cries and wakes himself up.
    Last edited by CoNNiE_Melb; October 7th, 2010 at 08:10 PM.

The girls who had natural births - did u also feel sore after? And for how long.?
    I wa kept awake so long last night cos the pain and think I've popped a couple stitches but made me wonder as fuzzy said she was sore if u do even without stitches......
    Going to see my gp this morning.

I had a natural birth with no stitches, and I was uncomfortable for at least a month afterwards. Getting out of bed and sitting is certain positions was just yuck! The swelling was pretty full on. The midwives at the time told it can actually sting more if you don't tear. But if you think you've popped stitches, definitely go see the doc.

I should add, the pain was never so bad I couldn't sleep.

Buzzie - how did you get on at the doctor? I had 'grazing' and 6 random stitches in different places. They sting like hell overnight especially. Other than that the pain I have is all tail-bone related and its most sore to sit, i.e. breastfeed!

Connie - good on George!! He is doing much better than Chloe then, ha ha. She was up at 9:30pm for a feed then 1am then 2:30 am than 5:30am.. I cant settle her after the 5:30am feed either. She is WIDE awake. Hoping she extends the times overnight soon. I may be expecting a bit much though.. she is only 2 and a bit weeks old he he.

DH is a teacher and has been on school hols for the last 2 weeks (timed that one well I know!). He goes back on Monday then it is just me and Chloe. I have gotten so used to calling him to bring me things, do the dishes, settle her and help me when she has a vomit/poo explosion! I dont know how those of you do it with more than one child too!

Well I haven't pulled any stitches, she gave me cream to help it heal quicker but I can't get it till Monday now. Tho (TMI) I got another pregnancy hemorrhoid. Now both pregnancies have given me one, so I stuff forthat too and I'm feeling pretty crappy about myself like I can't get a break!
    Tho I've been told sitting in a salt water bath will be really good so I hope DP can handle Isabella long enough for me to do that. He's been so good but she has terrible wind and he struggles to settle her but he tries and that's what counts I guess.

Re feeding - Isabella is all over the place too.. She is up every couple hours. But settles pretty quick after - tho I've given in to co-sleeping again cos I'm just too sore to keep climbing in and out of bed ATM

Buzzie - oh no you poor thing!! Hang in there until Monday.. Have you tried Infacol or Infants friend or whatever that wind medicine stuff is called? Not sure whether it is effective but I think its pretty cheap ~$15 and you can get it at most pharmacies. If her wind is really bad it could be worth a try. Maybe also avoid eating 'windy' foods like cabbage etc

Hey everyone,

Have been reading everything but just haven't had time to post! It's been a crazy week with DH going back to work on tuesday. I've been going pretty well with both kids on my own so it's not as bad as I first thought. Even ventured out to the shops with both of them and got to buy myself some clothes (even though I couldn't try them on) hehe. Bodie was very good and held onto the pram or my hand most of the time.
    Isla is going good, she feeds every 4 hours still on formula. Some nights she'll wake up more but usually settles. Im still so buggered during the day from getting up at night but hey that's how it is with newborns! lol

Here's hoping Wite can join us soon... I wonder if tonight is the night!

Buzzie, sorry to hear your in so much pain from the stitches. I remember mine wasn't that bad I couldn't sleep, it was mainly just really uncomfortable when I sat down. Sounds like most of the pain is from the hemorrhoid. Sounds like DP is supportive and helping you so that's good. I couldn't imagine not having anyone helping for those first couple of weeks especially when your in pain and with 2 or more kids!

Fuzzy, you'll be fine! I remember being nervous when DH went back to work when I just had DS, it's totally normal to feel like that

Deana, does Blake use a dummy? I feel this helps Isla alot when self settling, although it does take a while for her to actually keep it in her mouth as she tends to spit it out. Wow, 1 hour sleep during the day that must take it out of you, you must be buggered!

Connie, thinking of you & George today. Hope the surgery went well. *hugs*

Bec, hope your going well with your gorgeous chocolate bubba Isaac!

Hi to everyone else! xo

Just on our way to the beach today an thought I would pop on to say hope little George is recovering well.

Fuzzy - I tried infants friend with DS don't think it did anything for him but he could have been other issues too, I will have to see how she goes, ATM
    She seems to get it out reasonably quick after getting upset.

Apes - I hear u on buying clothes and not trying them on! Hope they fit u! Nothing worse than having to take things back!

Hi girls! Good to hear everyone is doing so beautifully!!

Buzzie - I wasn't sore with any of my babies not even my 9+ lb bub. After each bub I've said to my husband at the end of the day that apart from the bleeding I didn't even feel like I had a baby! Wasn't sore at all (except for my coccyx bone with DD1) and I felt amazing with heaps of energy, no different really though. Mind you, I had no stitches or tearing. I'm sure you could expect to feel sore from stitches as there has obviously been damage.

Sounds like some great weight gains! I had Ava weighed on Monday and she had put on 810grams in the fortnight... 405grams each week. Nothing next to the 500-600grams Ro was putting on a week! None the less I'm very proud of what a great job my boobs and Ava are doing. She was about 2.8 kgs at birth, went down to 2.4 something before we left hospital and she was almost 4kgs at 4 weeks! I'd say she is over 4kgs now because she feels really heavy the last few days and I used tp be able to put my hands around her chest and touch my fingers together, but now she WAY too thick to do that. I agree with someone from the pregnancy thread - I'm so inlove with her I can't stop kissing and staring her. You'd think you wouldn't be so consumed after you've done it a couple of times, but having a baby never gets old. I'm constantly surprised how much love a heart is capable. Just when I thought I couldn't love more, I do. Love my girls so much and I'm so grateful!

On the sleep front - I've been getting some great sleep (apart from last night as I stayed up to make Rochelle's Hoot the owl birthday invitations), but the last two nights I haven't bothered doing the dreamfeed and Ava has slept from 7pm till 2 am (7 hours) and then a bit after 6.30am (4.5 hours). Hope she keeps it up! I don't think I'll bother doing the dreamfeed if she continues as she is.

No offence intended to anyone, but we have had quite a few csections in our group haven't we? 6 csections and 5 vaginal births I think? Quite a few needing to be induced too... not meaning Wite and Bec - but because waters have broken and labour not progressed. It's all very interesting!

Better go, I have to pack to go away with the girls tomorrow. We have an engagement party next Saturday 13 hours away, so the girls and I are going to start driving tomorrow. Still not sure if Dan is going to meet us there for the engagement party, it depends on his work! Wish me luck for the drive though!!! Have a great weekend girls.

Connie - thinking of you and George - how did he go?

Buzzie - how are you holding up?

Catherine - again, so jealous of Ava's ability to sleep so long! In your opinion what is the secret to achieving it? Routine? Just an awesome baby? Bit of both? ha ha

Hi Pantha, Wite, Deana, Belfie, Apes, Bec, Chuckie and everyone I have missed!

We had a rough night last night. Chloe was up every 2 hours or less for a feed and was VERY noisy inbetween. I think wind again or an upset tummy. She wasnt crying just making a horrible shouting kind of noise. Hoping for a better night tonight. I have moved my feeding chair and changing station into her nursery and out of our bedroom so DH can get some more sleep. See how that goes.

Looking forward to going clothes shopping this week. I have nothing to wear at all! On a positive front I am back to pre-preggers weight which is kind of amazing seeings how 'squidgy' I am around the belly too. I think its because I had a lot of muscle tone before and that contributed to weight whereas now I have no muscles at all ha ha. Cant wait for my coccyx to get better so I can so some proper exercise rather than just these boring pelvic floor ones - *yawn*.

Any advice on seeing a chiro? I am booked in for Thurs and I am scared as I have heard horror stories about them. Hoping they can fix my coccyx without (TMI warning) having to insert the finger and pull it into place- cringe!

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast