Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies born~September 16th-30th 2010 #1

Hi all, quiet day in here.. Hope it's cos u all got this lovely weather and making the most of it!

Had isabellas 2 week check today - this is what I put on her facebook - Had her 2 week health check today - grown 1cm (51cm) - head is 1cm bigger (37cm) and put on 400g (4kgs) Everything else is perfect too! *

Her nappy rash is so sore tho I have completely gone off wipes now and was told to treat it as thrush so got some creme for her. Feel so bad for her, tho as far as I can tell it doesn't seem to bother her a whole lot. Just need lots of warm
    Weather for nappy free time!

Well better stop playing on the phone, DS is at his grandparents so I'm enjoying some quiet on the couch... Only got an hour left so time for quick nap I think.

Hope ur all well

We had the worst night last night - George just wouldnt settle from 9pm-12am, even when we held him.
    He woke at 2:30am for a feed, and then woke again at 4:45, and from 6-7am.
    I am soooo exhausted!! I havent been able to nap all day, because we are having people over for dinner tonight - bad move!
    I figured I could sleep from 5-6 before they come... nope, G is going nuts again! And DH is still at work.

I'm back!! After 8 nights in hospital it's going to be so nice to be sleeping in my own bed.. I'll update you all on the marathon birth story tomorrow. Isaac is doing really well, very contented little bub despite some breastfeeding attachment problems that hopefully should be sorted out soon after a lactation consultant coming out to see me, and a bit of work. Anyway, I hope everyone and your babies are well, and I'll catch up on personals soon.

Oh and congrats Wite!!!!!!! Your profile was the first one I checked on fb haha! Your little girl is just gorgeous

Fuzzy- I LOVE YOU!!!!! The Hyrdogel breastdisks I bought today and have had them on fo ronly HALF a day and my breasts are happy again and I fed with VERY minimal pain tonight!!!!! Thankyou!!

Bec- I been thinking of you non stop LOL, Been wondering how you are going & checking in on your FB!!! SO excited Isaac is finally here

Bec- 8 nights in hospital?????? What happened? Usually they boot you out as soon as they can!

Bec - great to see you back online can't wait to hear the details. GL with the feeding, I'm glad to hear you're getting an LC. Flat nipples can be such a PITA!!

Well my DH was out all day AND evening yesterday (work do) and OMG it was foul. The day was ok and I thought I can do this 2 kid thing. But then Annika decided to feed or cry from 5.30 onwards till 9pm!! So right over the time I needed to feed Xander and get him ready for bed. So in the end I txted DH to come home asap. He cuddled her for a bit and she finally went to sleep! Crazy! Hope tomorrow is better.

Belfie, I have absolutely no idea how you do it with 2... 1 is killing me!

George seems to have gone backwards in terms of sleep - I have a feeling that while he was premature he was better, not that he is past his due date, he wont sleep for more than an hour and a half at a time. People say to co-sleep if that makes it easier, well it doesn't. Last night I tried it, and he just screamed in my face instead of from the other room.

Sorry, still haven't caught up with reading yet!

Belfie - yes they suck. It's so frustrating, but hopefully the LC helps. We had some progress last night though, I was holding Isaac walking around and he opened his mouth and started to look for the nipple himself! I took my top off just to see what he did, and without my help he found it and started sucking. I was so proud of him, but he only did it for a couple of minutes then got too frustrated.

Kirsten - yep, 8 long nights..

Here is what happened.
    I went in last Monday afternoon for CGT monitoring, and stayed that night so I could be rested before being induced early Tuesday morning. Even though I'd been getting lots of contreactions I hadn't dilated any more since the Monday before (still 1cm) so got the gels to make my cervix more ready, and had contractions between 2-5 mins apart all day. By the evening I think I had dilated another 2cm so we let it go until the next day to see if labour would progress overnight. Next morning I still hadn't dilated further, so my membranes were ruptured. It's all a bit hazy but mum wrote down everything that happened so I'll read that when I find it, but I think the contractions got more intense and regular, and went on for ages. By Wednesday afternoon I'd dilated to 5cm. Only 4cm in two days. The next step was syntocinon (?) drip, which I really didn't want as I'd be stuck flat on the bed, and couldn't use all the upright positions I'd been using so far. The contractions got really intense very quickly, and as I couldn't use the active labour techniques I really wanted to, and couldn't justify being given this pain artificially with no relief so I asked for pethidine. That didn't do much at all, and the pain was getting worse every 30 minutes when the dose was increased. I still hadn't dilated further. I then asked for an epidural, which the dr said might relax everything enough to dilate further. After checking later I was still 5-6cm. Dr recommended c-section, as I'd been labouring for so long, and he said at 41+5weeks there was more risk letting me go on than there was for a c-section. So I agreed and went into theatre vomiting and shaking. Such a different birth experience than I wanted. But soon I heard little Isaac give two big screams as soon as he was out, and then mum brought him over to me and laid him on my chest while I was stitched up. He was breastfeeding within 20 minutes after being born after some lovely skin to skin in recovery. He's had feeding problems though, at first it was great but because of the c-section my milk was a day or two late coming in. Poor little Isaac wasn't getting enough, and lost over 500g. He then either wouldn't atttach at all, he would get too frustrated and start crying or he would attach and suck for ages (up to an hour and a half). So I started expressing and finger/syringe feeding. Since my milk has come in, with expressing he has thrived and is almost back to his birth weight already. Now he's searching for my nipple and attaching by himself with skin to skin time, and sucking longer each go, but not for long enough. An LC is coming around today to hopefully give me better advice than the last one I seen. Anyway as he had lost too much weight, was a bit dehydrated, had low blood sugar, and passed urates (sp?) more than once and the feeding probs, even though he has turned a corner and is thriving, the dr suggested instead of leaving on Monday (5 days after birth) I stayed in an extra day.

I think that's roughly it, I'm sure I've left something out though. So I didn't get my natural active birth experience I wanted, but I don't regret it. Afterwards the dr said Isaacs head was pointed direct to my left, and was not rotating. His head was not on my cervix hence the no dilating. Dr said I could have gone on for another 12 hours and still not have progressed, and that I was too determined and that most people would have opted for c-section earlier. Isaac was obviously overcooked, very dry skin and long fingernails. He has lanugo (sp?) the fine hairs on his face, ears, shoulders and lower back, which the African midwife said is normal in dark skinned babies (he has light skin now though, most dark skinned babies are born very light and the colour builds over time) and the tiny hairs will fall out soon. So now we are home, and I just can't stop looking at him.. I am so in love!! I can't believe he is a week old today!

Bec - wow u poor thing! I thibknif I had to be induced I would just go straight to a c/sect anyway.
    I totally understand how u feel not getting ur type of birth, hence why I didn't want to do a birth plan, you just never know what will happen. Even so getting my VBAC after fighting so much for it, I still can't see myself doing it again.. Maybe it's still early days but it's just funny how ur mind works.
    So glad he found ur boob on his own! What a good boy. Hope he starts feeding properly soon.

Wow ive missed so much, so everyone but will catch up on personals soon, just writing quickly to say hi before Blake wakes up. Ive missed you all.

Nothing new here, besides my little man is growing so fast. He was born 46 cms now he is 54 cms and he weighed 3.18kgs now he is just over 4kgs. Fatty lol. We went to Wollongong on the weekend and he didn’t sleep to well, but on Monday night, he managed to sleep the whole night from 8pm to 4:30am, but last night he woke up at his usual 2:30 but didn’t get up until 6:30.

How is everyone going? Bubs?

I am sooo jealous of all these bubs sleeping well. Since G had the operation he has been an absolute nightmare. I spoke to a paed today (his guy wasnt on duty) and he thinks G is overtired - yeah well that sounds right because he doesnt sleep more than 1.5 hours at a time! I have spent all day today noting down how long he sleeps and just getting him to sleep any way I can. I really hope it helps him sleep better at night.
    His bedtime has been 8pm, but I am going to try bringing it forward tonight because he is always grumpy for about 30-45mins when we put him down at that time.

Any suggestions??

How annoying - just lost a post while I was halfway through typing!!

Will try to remember:

Bec - sounds like you and Isaac did really well to make it through the marathon what a mission! What a great job you did bringing your little man safely into the world. Like you I was determined to have a natural, active birth but I was lucky enough to find out I would need a c-sec long before I went into labour - it sounds like you have come to terms with it though. The LC should be able to help with your feeding - it still hurts but gradually gets more comfortable as time goes on. I hope you are not overdoing it while at home alone - you need about a month for your c-sec to heal enough that you start feeling more like yourself (well I did anyway!)

Buzzie - how were your c-sec and VBAC experiences different? I am also interested in why you can't see yourself doing it again? I reckon you said something on fb about natural birth not being how you thought it would be - can you expand? I was curious at the time but thought I would wait for everyone to have their bubs before I asked. Re nappy rash - we have basically been using water and tissues from day one on the recommendation of the middie - initally she said warm water but that was a pita and I figure wipes are cold so I now keep water in the change table - Pearl still seems to get a bit of a rash that comes and goes though - nothing major.

Kirsten - I reckon us country girls are lucky in that they usually don't kick us out of hossie in too much of a hurry.

Connie - maybe George is going through a wonder week or maybe a growth spurt - that's what they often say when bubs go backwards.

Belfie - hopefully your DH doesn't have to work in the evenings too much and A's timing improves - sounds like a busy night!

AFM - well we had our first unsettled night last night - Pearl was basically up and either feeding or crying from 6pm - 10pm then cried in patches until 12:40am when I fed her and she crashed until 6am!! hopefully just the week 5 wonder week. I also reckon that DH is soo excited to see her when he comes home that he gets her all riled up and she struggles to settle again. the two nights before last night she slept from about 11pm - 6am with only one feed which I was pretty happy about. I have started feeding her as much as poss in the evenings (ie if she wakes up and is willing to feed I try to get it into her every 2 hrs) but am yet to master the dream feed.

Apart from last night she seems to be a really easy baby (or maybe that is just compared to looking after several kids at once which is what I normally do when I am nannying) and I am really enjoying being able to spend time at home with her.

I am going nuts cleaning out all the cupboards in the house - which I planned to do before she was born but didn't ge the time when she came early - and have started sorting through my clothes - which can be slightly depressing as I still don't fit any pre preggo trousers!! I know I shouldn't be thinking about it yet but I still have about 6kg of preggo weight to lose and then about 5kg of other weight to drop am hoping the bf will help but am trying to eat well at the same time.

Just quickly as I'm trying to organise to go to the hospital, we think G has an infection where he has his surgery. There is pus oozing from the incisions... This would explain the irritability.

I hope he's okay Connie

oh Connie! I hope he's ok, poor li'l tacker has been through so much! *hugs* for you darl, stay strong and we're all thinking of you and George.

Connie - thinking of little George! hope its not an infection or easily treatable.

Chuckie - i know it sounds silly to say i cant see myself doing it again, but i guess as much as i was in labour with DS, this time was just very intense especially towards the end and the pushing was just ridiculously painful. Also i guess the tearing put me off a little as i really didnt have that many issues recovering from a c/sect, and this recovery has been very tough! (saying that i know anything can still go wrong next time with either) but maybe its all too fresh in my mind atm.
    Im DEFINATLY not done having kids DP wants 3 i want 4 (his theory is 3 fit in a car LOL) so i will just have to wait and see what i decide at the time if ill go for natural or not.
    Im still glad i did have a VBAC otherwise i know i would be going INSANE wondering what a natural feels like if i had another c/sect. Tho now im absolutely pertrified to DTD any time soon cos of all the surgery that went on in there!

Anyone got there babybonus yet? how long did it take? i think it took 3-4 week with DS. So hoping it starts by my next payment! Mums waiting for me to move out and shes decided to move back to Adelaide now!!!

Thoes with little ones.... are ur kids starting to be very babyish atm? Ds is starting to do LOTS of silly baby cries - really fake ones too! i know he is definatly copying isabella when hes near her and she cries!

Connie - poor little George (and you) hope he's all ok or as Buzzie said, easily treated and on the mend asap

Buzzie - definitely some babyish going on here. DS imitates her cry so well that my LC (on the phone) thought it was Annika waking! And the other night he wanted some "mook" and "mummy". He then proceeded to sit on my lap (facing me), fiddle with my bra straps, cuddle me and drink his milk!!! Very out of character for him! He's also much more into cuddles and kisses than he was (but it's very cute I must admit). Re VBAC versus C/S, a friend of mine just had a vbac too, and she said tbh she wasn't sure which she'd do if she went back again... i think she was surprised at the healing time involved (and she didn't have as much tearing as you) and realised that for her the c/s wasn't that bad. She said at the 6hr labour mark it occurred to her that the baby would have been out long before if she'd had the c/s lol! For me, having had both the other way around, I think there's definitely pros & cons to both, but the c/s wasn't nearly as bad as I probably expected (so saying, my healing was REALLY good from the c/s), but in the last week I think I overdid it a bit and have had some funny symptoms/soreness but it seems to be settling now, but had an u/s yesterday to check out everything was actually ok. The downside is definitely the length of time healing with the c/s... but then I had to have a episiotomy repair 4 mths later after my vag birth, so not exactly textbook healing from my first delivery anyway!

AFM, my DH is being a PITA atm, just a big grumpy pants. Ah men hey. On the bright side, DS was soooo sweet and helpful yesterday, itw as really cute. And A gave us a good night and day... then a crap evening again... then good again overnight! I swear in the evenings she is just glued to my boobie, ah well, it's doable provided DH is home and i'm catching up on lots of tv.

Connie - oh poor George, I hope all is ok with him, and you too, it must be awful when there's something not right with bub. What kind of surgery did he have to have? Sorry I still haven't caught up yet, there's a lot of reading to do!

Buzzie - that's not good about having to move soon, sounds like there's a bit of pressure to get it organised pretty soon with your mum moving. Have you found a place yet? I'd like to know too how long it takes to get the baby bonus, and also parenting payment.. I'm going to have to start to use my savings just to pay the rent if it doesn't happen soon. I just sent the form yesterday though.

It was our second night at home yesterday, and I'm exhausted! So jealous of all of you who don't live alone, it's so much harder than I thought already. Lucky mum is popping in a couple of times a day, making me a healthy lunch and doing washing etc, she stayed here last night and the night before, but as she was sleeping in the lounge room I was just worried about waking her when I got up for Isaacs feeds (I feed him in there usually), and there wasn't much she could do in the middle of the night anyway. But it was nice to know she was there, and to be able to ask her what she thinks the crying coiuld be etc.. even just her making me a cup of tea or milo was great, simple things seem hard to do at 5am when I just want to sleep but having to feed.

Isaac has been great during the day, feeding then sleeping until he wakes up for his next one, but hard to settle at night time.. I don't know why. He wakes up 20 or 30 minutes after falling asleep during the night, and just cries.. the only way I can get him back to sleep is to feed him a little bit again even though he seemed full from the feed he just had. do you think it could be that he's just getting used to being somewhere different after being in hospital for his first 6 nights with all the noises etc? It's making me totally exhausted all day, but that's probably normal. any ideas on settling???
    Last edited by bec293; October 14th, 2010 at 01:51 PM.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast