Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Babies born~September 16th-30th 2010 #1

Gees Belfie what an ordeal. Glad everything is ok now. Given a long stretch I bet you could sleep for days after that adrenalin rush!

Belfie -that is so scary! Glad you got through it ok. Hope X recovers well and you feel better soon and get some rest.

Wite - tired signs can be subtle..... don't beat yourself up ... I am sure I miss them at times.... many times.

Bec - thanks. We have a cot and are yet to use it - been using pram and bassinnette too.

Hiya to everyone else.... miss you... hope all is well.

I am not looking forward to the summer heat! Have a good weekend.

Hi mumma's and bubba's! Sorry i've been MIA, I am reading just not enough time to post...

We are going well here. Had a bad night with Isla a few days ago, not sure if it was reflux or colic but she was crying and screaming most of the night. DH & I were up from midnight till 5am, she just wouldn't let us put her down. Eventually we were both so exhausted we just had to let her scream it out, really hated seeing her in pain She had a couple of episodes the next day but now she's all fine. So hopefully no more of that.
    Apart from that night she's been sleeping very well, only feed her once a night she usually wakes at 2ish or 3ish then sleeps till 7ish. She's in Aldi nappies as we've ran out of huggies but finding the Aldi ones just as good. Have tried Smugglers but she's still a bit little for them yet. Fits into 000 clothes, i just love dressing her in cute things!

Belfie, that must of been terrifying for you & DH to see X like that! Bodie has vomited off a high temp before but never convulsed. Glad he's ok now.

Well better go as im typing with 1 hand whilst holding Isla.. hehe.

Hi everyone! xoxo

Wite - I didn't know the tired signs to look for either, so thanks, that should help.

Apes - hehe I'm getting better at the one handed typing too

dory - Summer is going to be awful. It's been in the 30's here for the last few days, today was supposed to get to 37! I think that's why Isaac has had trouble sleeping. I'm lucky I have air con, but I don't like using it much.

Isaac has had hardly any sleep today, except for an hour this morning on our walk and an hour or so in the sleepywrap this afternoon.. he cried every time I put him down, I think he might have had a belly ache or something by the way he was wriggling and lifting his legs. We just had a 3 hour sleep together (yay!), and I'm hoping for some better sleep tonight, I'm so tired.. missed out on a nap today. Sometimes I just wish there was someone else here to even just hold him and rock him to sleep for me, even though I love it, its just exhausting sometimes when I don't know what's wrong with him.

Oh and I enrolled in uni today!! Will be interesting to see if I can keep up with the study load. I thought I'd be able to make use of all the breastfeeding time, should be able to get a few hours reading in a day. I can't wait to start in two weeks, I'm doing BA Community Development, hoping it'll open up some really interesting work for when Isaac is at school age (seems so far away at the moment though!).

Quick whinge.. I still have carpel tunnel syndrome, I got it when I was pregnant. I thought it was supposed to go away after the birth, but its still sooo painful. I have constant pins and needles in my right hand, and when I lay with Isaac snuggled in my arm I wake up with my whole arm in pain, it happens both sides. I'm goinfg to ask at my 6 week check up about the procedure to fix it.
    Last edited by bec293; November 13th, 2010 at 12:48 AM.

Yikes Bec that doesnt sound nice at all. I hope the GP can fix it up for you. Thanks for the reminder about the 6 week check up. I skipped mine!

Apes -so jealous of Isla's sleep ability. Chloe goes down at 7:30-8pm then I dreamfeed her about 10:30-11 and she sleeps until 1:30 ish. Then she wakes at about 4 and then again at around 6. Not sure how to get her out of this habit or whether it will just improve on its own..

fuzzy - I keep forgetting to ask, are you still having problems getting Chloe's passport photo? I had an idea, not sure if it'll work but what if you did a video and then do a screen capture of the split second she (hopefully) does the right pose? About the sleeping, that sounds almost exactly how Isaac sleeps... From what I've been told its normal for most breastfed babies to wake like that during the night, and they will gradually go longer between feeds.. I just keep thinking its not forever, and every baby is different so when I hear about a fantastic sleeper I just go and read something about baby sleep/breastfeeding to remind me that Isaac is completely normal. If I get a nap during the day I'm not too tired usually. And anyway if he does sleep longer than that my boobs get sooo sore that I can't wait for him to wake up and drain them! Also I'd be worried that if I tried to make him sleep longer it'd do something to my milk supply.

Thats true Bec. I am getting enough sleep overall so I shouldnt really complain. And yes my boobs definately feel it at the 4 hour mark if she makes it that long! I managed to get a passport photo eventually and we should get it in the mail this week. I managed to hire a porta cot + car seat + car for 7 days in Bali and it cost me $210 all up! Gees the place is so cheap

awesome you got the photo eventually Wow what a bargain, I bet you can't wait to go. I have the travel bug pretty badly, hopefully I can find someone to travel with next year, I can't really just pack a backpack and go on my own anymore!

that reminds me, I should go have a nanna nap.

i have a little woo hoo to add tonight. Today I gave another lady some EBM for her baby. She's had lots of trouble with feeding - cracked nipples, thrush, supply issues. Anyway, long story short, I have about 5-6 litres in the freezer, and nothing to do with it... and she has a poor hungry little bubba! She's just started some medication to get her supply up, and she's doing everything she can... but in the interim, my EBM will help top her bubba up. I'm so pleased that someone can use the milk, and it's such a wonderful gift to be able to give someone - it feels like a gift to my soul as well.

Chuckie - nipple vasospasm... YOUCHIES! I've read about that and it sounds horribly hurty, you poor thing. Does warming them help? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

Dory - love the pic of HB!

Sorry out of time for the rest of the persies... but hope you're all going well. Annika has seemed much happier & more comfortable this week, I think the meds are really kicking in which is great. I can't believe she's 8 weeks already... time flies!

G'night, sending all the bubbas happy sleepy vibes!

Belfie - 5-6 litres! My gosh you have been busy. And you are right - that is so amazing to be able to do that for someone. You are not only helping her but REALLY helping her little bub too.

Has anyone who is BFing had any problems getting bubs on a bottle of EBM? Chloe was fine at first but over the past few weeks she wont have a bar of the bottle. Screams her head off when DH tries to give it to her. Any advice for how to get her to accept it again? We have tried different times of day and different levels of hunger. We are using the Medela small teat - which she used to take fine.

Fuzzy - can't really help with suggestions to get Chloe to accept the bottle of EBM...maybe try a different brand of bottle & teat? I know frustrating ..... or maybe the next flow level in the one you have? Glad you got your photos and that is cheap as chips to hire all that stuff in Bali - when do you go?

Apes - my heart goes out to you - that's what Hannah used to be like pretty much all of the time - it is truly a very hard aspect of parenting and I thought in my darkest moments that it was just pure torture. I hope Isla doesn't have a repeat of that too often - for both hers and your sake. But OMG - that is an amazing sleeping schedlue! Hannah sleeps more like Chloe in terms of feeds/waking schedule at night and I think it's good.

Belfie - That is awesome. I wish I had known someone who could have helped us out that way. I was sooooo disappointed to have to give Hannah formula but at the same time she needed nourishment and I just couldn't give her what she needed. I am getting better with expressing - I might get 140ml in one session now. Yay. I am giving Hannah at least two top ups per day of EBM ( which is two less formula feeds each day). We are lucky that Hannah accepts both forms of food the breat, EBM and formula and both the breast and bottle. I guess that can change, but I hope not. 5-6 litres is huge!

Hmm carpel tunnel - I just realised that mine has almost gone, some numbness in the fingers now but no pain!. Bec - sorry yours is still there. It is horrid.

Bec - I can only imagine what it's like going solo... I only have to do it during the day and on the hard days, the day seems very long. I suppose you'll just develop strategies that work for you - like your sleepywrap or sleeping together ( that has worked a few times for us when desperate). I am just in awe of you ... I wish I could help you out but it's long way between SA and QLD! Big cuddles to Isaac.

Well a bit sad here - I missed out on a family do yesterday because I was so tired I could hardly see, so there was no way I could drive 45 mins one way. But I had a great nap as did Hannah and I felt so much better last night. I just realised that I haven't been having a nanna nap during the day for ages. Guess it caught up on me? Oh well Her majesty calls - she's not settling - so better go see to her. Might be time for a song or to read a book or just a nurse.

Belfie - wow what a generous precious gift you gave, well done. And well done for having such a big stock of EBM in your freezer! Reminds me I should do some more expressing. Using other womens breast milk was in the media recently, I couldn't believe some women say that they would never use donated EBM, I heard of one lady who even stopped speaking to her good friend because she offered her baby her EBM.. it's so much better than formula, even if its from someone else! Well done again, your friend and her baby are very lucky.

Fuzzy - I haven't tried Isaac with a bottle yet. He won't take a dummy anyway so I don't think he'd go for it. When I was giving him EBM I used a syringe and finger, but he was smaller so not having a lot. What about cup feeding? I remember watching a video about it while I was in hospital, apparently it prevents nipple confusion. It looked easy with a little newborn, but I don't know how it'd go with a bigger wriggly bub. p.s. love the pic, so cute!

Dory- thanks, it is hard sometimes. The bad nights are the worst, like at 2am when its too late to call my mum and I'm super tired and can't think straight. I've been in tears a couple if times, saying why the hell am I on my own, but those desperate times have been thankfully brief. After I sleep I feel so much better. And the majority of nights are good, I'm lucky Isaac hardly cries normally. We do sleep together, usually he is in the 'my little bed' on my bed but usually after the 2/3am feed he sleeps beside me in my arm. Also he sleeps with me for my nanna nap. It's so much nicer to be woken up by him wriggling around searching for my boob for a feed instead of waking to cries and having to get up.
    I'm so lucky mum is just around the corner too, she visits most days and helps by doing housework or by settling Isaac for me, changing nappies, playing with him. It's nice to have a little break. Even though I do love being independent, I'm jealous of you guys who aren't alone at night time! Sorry that you missed out on your family do, but nice to hear you got some sleep

Ok Isaac has just fallen asleep on my boob, so now I get to go and make my dinner, yay
    Last edited by bec293; November 14th, 2010 at 07:40 PM.

Fuzzy- We had some problems getting Jett onto a bottle of EBM when he was a little bub and we switched brands of bottles to the Tommee Tippee ones and had better sucess because they are designed like a nipple/boob so they can put their whole mouth over it in the same way..Maybe worth buying one & seeing if you have sucess with it?

Dory – thanks for the tips, I tried the one where I nurse Blake on my chest and support his feet and he now loves it, falls asleep almost all the time in that position

Apes – Blake was the same but only during the day last Thursday and Friday. I was ready to pull my hair out. I couldn’t imagine it during the night, you poor thing

Dory – Im sorry to hear that you had to miss the family do, hopefully there will be another one soon for you

Sorry haven’t posted in a while again lol. Just finding time during the day to jump on and catch up is hard as Blake doesn’t sleep much during the day anymore and when he does go down in the arvo, I try to get house work done lol.
    Blake is doing very good, besides last Thursday and Friday, both days he screamed all day. Not sure if it was the sudden heat we have been getting, or if it is the Mylanta giving him an upset tummy or nappy rash. I stopped the Mylanta just in case, but also put nappy rash cream on his little red bum and he seems to be doing great again so not sure which one was the problem lol.
    Does anyone know how much water throughout the day I can give blake? I usually only give him about 10mls of warm water a day, but mum said on hot days to just make sure he doesn’t get dehydrated?
    For the past 3 nights, Blake has been sleeping through the night yay. I give him his last bottle at 8pm and he has been sleeping right till 5:30-6am. Hopefully it stays this way lol.

Bec - I used to love sleeping with ash under my arm. And loved him waking to find a boob rather crying. I know 100% how all that feels. Nights was always my hardest.. It was more so when ash was a little older and if he got sick and threw up, one time in particular all over me and his bed and himself and I had to consol a crying baby and clean it all up whilst holding him and leave myself to last THAT was a massive moment for me. It is very tough emotionally, but here's a good positive for you when you start getting sad at night.. Think how wonderful and amazing those feelings feel when your cuddling your little man in bed and think if you had a man in bed with you chances are he would winge about not getting attention or wanting sex and it would be easy at all sharing a bed with everyone. Then if he did have to be on his own bed you would have issues about who gets up to what and who's more tired etc....
    After rob started coming on the scene he always said get ash in his own bed cos it's not good for him to co-sleep. But he had NO idea how beautiful it was sleeping with him.
    And on my saddest days, waking every morning and looking down at him smiling back at me made nothing in the world matter!

Just a quick me post -
    I prob won't be on BB too much for a while. Tho I do read and try to keep updated. And for thoes who see the depressing posts on fb and wonder why..
    Rob and I are pretty much over after I found some dirty messages to girls on his phone from right after Isabella was born. I won't go into it but I'm a big time mess ATM and not really coping with it, but pls don't say anything on fb to why I'm upset as his family are on it too.

Hope everyones well xx

Oh buzzie that is so terrible! I am thinking of you. Just remember you mean the world to little isabella xx chat here/vent as much as u like

Wite - thanks i will try that brand out and see how i go

Deana - i dont think you should give babies water at all. They used to do that in the old days but its now accepted that bubs get everything they need in their BM and i am assuming formula too

Dory - keep up on those nanna naps! it is hard though isnt it

ok i have to wake chloe to go get her immunisations now. wish me/her luck!

Deana - you're welcome - just glad one worked. No idea about water... sorry. I am amazed at Blake's sleeping through.... I reckon we are way off that here..... but as long as I can get some sleep inbetween it's ok. I know what you mean about housework - it's constant and a constant balance.

Fuzzie - god like with those vaccinations - ours are Wednesday and I have been dreading them for ages... I am going to give Hannah some panadol beforehand - about 1 hour- and then some boobie soothing afterwards. Let us know how you go?

All ok here. Bit of a rough night - from the 3am feed through to about 6.30am, just wouldn't settle for more than about 15 mins, and at 7am I thought I could get some sleep but Hannah woke crying, a really heartbreaking little cry... mwahhhh, not screaming. She rarely cries on waking. But she had wind last night and I wonder if that is a hang over from that. A quick cuddle didn't work but the boobie soothing did, at least for an 1hour and half.

Buzzie - oh sweetie - that is so tough. But you will do what is right for you and your children. I hope you get through this tough time. Remember, you are a strong and powerful woman and a mother to two beautiful children. You will survive and you will do so with dignity and grace. Go gently.

Bec - I wanted to also say I am awe at you about uni. It's ok to cry! I do it heaps, when I am tired and strung out and just want Hannah to sleep. It IS so special to sleep together with bubs. I have a few times and it's just grand. Buzzie made a good point about having someone else in the bed... PITA....

Better go, trying to still organise my thankyou cards and also arrange a chirstening. Decided I wanted to try and have it done before 2010 draws to an end. I know crazy, but will see if I can pull it off. It's amazing how quickly the guest list adds up.... blimey, I am now crossing people off. Then the next thing to arrange is the wording on the plaques for Nick and Sophie - I think DH and I have finally agreed on a final version and will submit it next week, then we have to wait for them to be made and then we can arrange for a ceremony for Ameila, Nick and Sophie to be interred. Not sure if we'll have an open do and invite people or just have it DH, Hannah and me. Seems a bit weird in a way to have a ceremony so long after they died, but we weren't ready for it before now.

Buzzie, just popped in here to see how you were going as I saw on FB you were having a hard time. What an *******! Sorry but I can't imagine what your going through right now. *BIG HUGS* We are all here for you hun.

Fuzzy/Wite, We use Tommee Tippee bottles here too. I think they are great in that like Wite said the teets are like nipples and they have the valve near the teet that helps with Colic.

Belfie, That is awesome you could help a stressed mum & baby by giving bub your milk! Good on you

Bec, you poor thing having carpel tunnel, must be painful having pins & needles all the time. Do you just have to wait till it eventually goes away?

Deana, Yay for Blake sleeping through! Now can he come over to our place and tell that to Isla! hehe Nah I shouldn't complain she sleeps pretty well most of the time.

Just wanted to say your all superwomen for keeping up the breastfeeding when times are tough. I kind of felt like a failure when I didn't keep up the breastfeeding with both my children. They were both really slow at attaching etc, but I know if I kept expressing then they would of eventually got the hang of it. Oh well I don't really want to beat myself up about it because they are both healthy bubba's and formula wouldn't be on the market if it wasn't safe.

Isla has been going great lately, no more upset tummy screams which I am stoked about.

My poor DS was vomiting a couple of nights ago, think he caught it off this little cousin as he was sick aswell. Hate seeing him sick like that, poor thing was crying when he vomited as he didn't know what was going on. He's always been such a healthy child. Can't belive he'll be 3 in december! They grow up way too quickly!

Went to a baby & kids market on the weekend got some great bargains! They have stalls where most things are 2nd hand so got Isla some adorable little outfits all for like $2!

So close to Christmas! What is everyone getting their bubs for xmas... still not sure what to get Isla as she'll only going to be 3 months old?

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast