Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newborn - 1 Month, July '05

Jo,

I know how hard it must be with having all your family in the UK.

Hope things start to get better for you soon.
    If you ever want to talk please feel free to email.

Both ours live in the UK and somedays i wish they where here to help.
    But that was before MIL came not long after i had Alexander and it drove me mad as she was no real help at all. I was looking after three adults. one 2 year old and a newborn baby.

My MIL was due on the 28th June. But she got ill. Shame!! As you can see I was not looking forward to her joining us. She had no maternal bone in her body with her own kids so I knew she would be little help to me.

But roll on Sept when my mum will be here to help.

So far tonight Erykah has settled well. When she has woken with wind it has taken only 10 mins to get her back down. Fingers crossed we get a better night. Well hubby will as hes at work tomorrow so I do all the night time stuff.

I am at the Maternal Child health nurse tomorrow. Wonder what Erykah weighs. She is getting heavier though.

Off to bed now so night all

Jo

Yep - definitly happy medium required. Mum was great when she came over from NZ for the brith, but mainly cause she cooked for us, and would watch Jenna while I was in the shower, and of course made me get oout of the house for a walk much quicker. Also was probably good cause I couldn't malinger about with my sore spots too much!! And it made me concentrate on getting breast feeding right, cause i was doing it in the other room by myself as I was a little shy.....

As for showing off the baby - I hate to say it, but they actually get much more interesting in a few weeks time! People dont really know what to do with a baby that can't focus on them, and who's needs are really just food, warmth and sleep! At 6 weeks, they have a little more personality, and family get much better smiles and cuddles. Save yourselves til then I say!!!

Fi

Stormi Guest

Hi all,

I had a shocker of a night last night, barely got any sleep at all. Wondering if it was the cabanossi I ate yesterday. We went to DH's grandmother's family lunch thing for her birthday - there were so many people who of course wanted to hold Makenzie so she was probably overstimulated as well. Managed to catch up on some sleep this arvo for about 3 hours. DH went and did grocery shopping but he got his mum to come over to mind the 3 kids because he didn't want to take all three to the supermarket - don't blame him. I said maybe we should go back to doing online grocery shopping!

Wow, how exciting, Rachel and Linds have had their bubs. Seems like so long ago that I gave birth.

Heather - I burst into tears yesterday trying to find something to wear to that family get-together that actually fit me. DH said "Where what you have been wearing - what HAVE you been wearing?" and I blubbered "Track suit pants" and he's like "Wear those, you just had a baby, no-one expects you to be all dressed up". I ended up wearing my maternity jeans AGAIN. They aren't too bad, they are nice bootleg type ones but I am totally sick of them.

Anyway, better go have a shower, I feel all blah from sleeping this arvo. Need to wash these stupid compression stockings too. Hopefully only have to wear them another month. Really need to sit down and fill in all the paperwork for Makenzie too, like birth certificate form etc, still haven't done that and have a heap of bills that need to be paid etc.

Hope you're all doing okay

Forum Name: beckles
    State: vic
    Baby's DOB: 1st july 2005
    Baby's Stats: Weight - Length - Head Circ - 3.8kg, 51.5cm, 37cm
    Gender of Baby: boy
    Baby Name(s): Oscar
    Baby's Website:
    Health Concerns:
    Notes: emergency c/section brow presentation & posterier

hi all oscar is finally here. we got home from hospital on sunday the 3rd. couldn't stand it in there one minute longer so i have m/w visiting daily instead. i am exhausted but happy to finally have my bubba. hope to get to know you all soon

love beckles

Stormi Guest

Hi Beckles, welcome to the club!

Brooke - Awww. glad Maya's frenectomy went okay. She's probably used to the bottle now so might take a bit to get her onto the breast, good to know you are seeing a lactation person though.

Oh, Brooke - how much do you give Maya in her bottle? I expressed tonight as my boob was a bit engorged and I also wanted to try out my new pump (which works really well). I think I expressed just over 100mls - is this enough for one feed? In the booklet it says 2-4 oz, 100ml is 4oz.

I'm so annoyed. I went to bed about 9.30pm and Dh came in at midnight and said Miss M was awake for her feed. During this time he'd managed to get her to take the dummy. Anyway, by the time I rolled myself out of bed she'd gone back to sleep and is STILL asleep almost 1.5 hours later. Stupid me is sitting here waiting for her to wake up. If I'd gone back to bed at 12 she probably would have woken 10 minutes later. Now I don't know whether to go back to bed or not now. I would rather stay up than go back to bed, fall asleep, and be woken just after I fall asleep - I hate that more than anything lol.

Anyway, might go back to bed, if she wakes, she wakes.

Stormi Guest

I went back to bed after that post and of course she did wake up 10 minutes later lol. Had a pretty good night last night, probably due to the dummy. Was worried she'd just suck that instead of waking for feeds but she is still waking for feeds, not just so much in-between.

We are doing some spring cleaning today. Sort of lol. I just sat down to have a coffee and have lost my enthusiasm now.

Oh, for those who need to make claims etc at Medicare, there is a Medicare website and you can print out claim forms and also newborn enrolment forms. I have so many receipts/accounts, much easier to fill in those forms at home than stand in the office and do it.

Anyway, back to my stuff

Morning girls -

Brooke - i so agree with the pants issue. Ive lost most of my weight except for a little pouch but my hips have widened. I spoke to dad in tears (he is a gp) and he said it will go back but could take 3-6 months OMG. My jeans only pull to my upper thighs and thats it. So i think im going to go buy some pants today at a glue sale as i cant wear my preg clothes and trackkies any longer.

Im glad Mayas tongue tie has been fixed and hope that you ger BF underway today at the lactation consultation. xx

Lisa - i too had a weird night. in fact i had a weird night the night before as well. I have been going to bed around 9 and DH hangs out with Hendrix till his next feed which is usually about 11;30, i feed then he pretty much goes back to sleep. But the last two nights at around 2:30 he starts to make grunting restless noises which i ignore but they get louder and when i get up and get him up he is still pretty much asleep. I put him on the boob which he has for about 5-10 mins then he is asleep, but still wakes again an hour to an hour and a half later. I have not been able to sleep during these feeds. So im a bit dazed.

Welcome Beckles to the thread - look forward to getting to know you.

xx

Forum Name: LG
    State: SA
    Baby's DOB: 30 June 2005
    Baby's Stats: Weight - 3.52kg Length - 52cm Head Circ - 35cm
    Gender of Baby: boy
    Baby Name(s): Evan
    Baby's Website: www.babiesonline.com/n/nickandlinds

Hi!
    Wow I'm finally here!!!! It's been a big interesting week! Evan is one week old today. I can't believe that this time last week I was contracting and convincing myself that it wasn't real. I think i actually posted about this time last week saying i was wondering if "something" was happening! I had the perfect labour and delivery (exactly how I wanted it) but I will get around to posting my birth story later.

What a change in our lives! Of course i knew it would be, but it doesn't really hit you until it's all happening does it? No matter how many people tell you. We had 4 nights in hospital (which were great) and came home on Monday. It was exciting and a bit nerve-racking bringing him home for the first time. I liked the idea of being able to press a button and have someone come and tell us what to do! But we are actually coping quite well i think. Evan is feeding well and we have this BF thing sorted i think which makes a big difference as he is sleeping quite well too. It takes the longest to settle him when i want to go to bed of course! After all other feeds he seems to nod straight off. We seem to be wanting feeds at around 3am and then again at 6.30am-ish. So it's good if I can get him off to sleep by 11pm. Mind you, he has slept for 5 hours after he goes back to sleep at about 7.30am the last 2 days. I'm hoping his going to do that this morning too because I am planning on heading out to the shop soon (my first trip out in a week!) and I'll leave Evan and DH sleeping in the hopes that they will still be sleeping when i get home. I'll only be gone maybe half an hour.

My muscles seperated during pregnancy so i have to wear a support stocking thing around my tummy and do exercises. I'm having trouble finding things to wear too now. My normal clothes don't fit, but only my maternity trackies fit and that's fine, but i want to put something decent on and look (or at least feel) half - normal again.

I'm going to go now so i can get off to the shops (I've been waiting for 9am for them to open!), but there's so much more to post so i'll try to get on again later today or maybe tomorrow. Evan is just gorgeous and we are loving having him! My baby boy xxxxx

Linds

Welcome Linds and Evan!

Welcome Bec and Jonah!

Yesterday i rang the tresillian help line for some information regarding B/F as after reading Johs posts i realised that i was producing heaps of milk and that hendrix was often drowning under the amount (with milk coming out of his nose sometimes). The nurse i spoke to recommend that i express 30ml each feed yesterday and then reduce the amount i express each day by 5ml. Therefore hendrix wasnt only getting foremilk and she thougth this may help the wind pains that he has been getting. Hendrix has been so easy to settle except for when he gets these pained looks on his face which by early feeds were waking him a few times during the night at 1.5 hour intervals. I was putting him on the boob at these times to settle him. She recommend i only feed every 3 hours (2.5 if i have to) as prolactin levels are highest from midnight to dawn and this hormone creates more foremilk and therefore more pain.

I thought id give this a go - but wouldnt continue if it didnt seem to work for hendrix. But after expressing the foremilk off from yesterday arvo - he slept so well and seems to be in much less pain. He even did a 6.5 hours sleep through the night from 10:15 to 5:00 this morning. She also showed me a tummy massage to do at every nappy change.

So ill continue with this until we have some problems. I also have my first visit with the health nurse on monday so will check this with her and see what she thinks.

I forgot to say hello to linds and evan :smt039 :smt039 :smt039

Stormi Guest

Hi girls,

Just a quick post to say I JUST HAD 8.5 HOURS SLEEP STRAIGHT! WOOHOO!!!

I was sooooo tired this arvo and I had a migraine, and DH was busy and out most of the day...anyway, he came home and I was in tears from tiredness/migraine/naughty kids, so he said to feed Makenzie when she's due and he'd take them all to his mums for dinner, I gave him a bottle of EBM to take as well (she's never had a bottle). Anyway, I went to bed at like 6pm, and woke up about 2.30pm. Apparently DH gave her the EBM at 7.30pm so she went for 7 hours between feeds.

Apparently she took the bottle really well, MIL gave it to her. So that's good, we know we can escape for a few hours and leave her with MIL and know that she won't scream for a feed at least.

Hi Linds!

Heather - glad you are sorting out your milk probs. You wouldn't think there could be so many issues with BF.

Brooke - I've been really emotional lately too. I've found I've been crying about dad a lot lately (who passed away in January). Been crying over stupid things too. DH makes some innocent comment and I burst into tears.

Anyway, I'm off to bed for some more sleep. I won't know myself tomorrow (unless I feel cr*p from too much sleep lol)

Hey brooke - we are fairly lucky with settling hendrix. He falls straight to sleep after a feed at night and im able to put him straight into his cot so am only up for about 20 mins. Daytime he is up a little longer though and gets a little more grizzly from 9 to about midnight. He justs wants to be held at this time.

Wow at you losing 15kg - how much did you gain again?? i havent weighed myself yet, might do in the next few days as we dont have any scales here i will have to go to my mum and dads.

Hey Rach

How is little blake going??

How is everyone else??

Hope all is well and that you are enjoying your little ones.

xx

Hi everyone,

I have the thrill of typing one handed as I sit here holding Blake doing my first 'newborn' post.

The first couple of days home have been wonderful after spending 6 days in hospital. As I was GBS+ and had such a short labour, I didn't get enough antibiotics into me so it carried across to him in birth. Anyway, two courses of anti's later we're home.

Things have been pretty good with Blake feeding every 4-ish hours. Thursday night he was very unsettled and didn't sleep much however we're all surviving. And I'm estatic to say he's not a vomiter like my DD was. It's awesome. I don't have to carry around cloth nappies, read spew rags wherever I go. Just me and the boy; that's it!

I haven't caught up with anyone's news yet, but hope you'll all doing well. I'll write personals next time I'm on, but I'll just add a quick hi to Lisa and Brooke. I'm sure Kate and Gemma will be here too soon, if not already.

Hugs to all the new little babes.
    xx

hi everyone sorry for not posting for a while but i have been in and out of hospital and have been quite unwell. i am having a blood transfusion tomorrow and am hoping that i will feel heaps better after that! although my health is crap Oscar on the other hand is thriving it doesn't seem to bother him i was on deaths door! hope to catch up with you all soon, am pinning alot on the blood transfusion so i can stay out of bed for longer than 15 minutes!

love beckles

Goodluck with everything tomorrow Beckles.

Love

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast