Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Newborn - 1 Month, July '05

Lots of healthy vibes coming to you beckles. I hope the blood transfusion gives you what you need to make a full recovery.

mama mel Guest

Hi everyone! I'm so happy to be in the newborn thread now!!

Thought I'd pop in while both babies were asleep but Adara's up now, knew it was too good to last! #-o

Sorry to hear you haven't been well Beckles. Lots of recovery vibes to you..

Haven't had a chance to catch up on how you're all doing & your posts yet, I'll try to come back in here tonight. We're all doing wonderfully, I'll post more later!

Morning all,

My boy's asleep, my daughter's at school and my DH's at work. It's quiet in the the house and I'm enjoying it.

I'm loving my boy and he's still sleeping pretty good with last night even sleeping for a 5 hour spell. That extra hour sleep for me made the world of goodness. We even managed to get DD to school on time and of course I had to show him off to everyone as when school holidays started I was pregnant.

BF is going well. Our attachment problems have finally sorted themselves out and it no longer feels like he's sucking out broken glass whenever he feeds. I had to use Marcalan nipple cream for a few days but boy was it good. No more scabs, no more grazes. Mummy can smile again. I've also realised that my rocking chair is great to feed in - I didn't remember that I used to use it for my DD until I started using it again for Blake.

Welcome Mel! Hope Ryan's being an angel and everything is going well for you.

Beckles, I hope your blood transfusion goes well for you today and makes all the difference to your health. I'm glad that it hasn't affected Oscar at all.

Brooke, good for you in making the decision to give Maya EBM. As you said, it doesn't matter how she gets it, it's that she does get it. And I'm glad that the bottle is helping her with her colic/reflux pain. My DD was the same and took ages to settle. She'd also vomit from one feed to the next. At least you don't have that problem. Hopefully the doctor will have some answers for you.

Hi Heather. Hope little Hendrix is well and behaving for you. Our 'witching hour' with Blake is usually between 7-10pm. I wish - as I'm sure you do - they didn't have that upset time but I guess that's just how it is. Hopefully they will outgrow it soon.

I'm going to do my 'physio' exercises now for my separated tummy muscles while Blake's still asleep.

Hope everyone has a good day.
    xx

Good afternoon ladies

Boy does time fly with a bubby..... We had to be at a hearing test at the hosp. hendrix was born at, at 9 this morning which is on the other side of town through peak hour. All is fine in that domain. This arvo we have our first appoint with the health nurse which im looking forward to and hendrix is currently sound asleep on my chest. He is such a cuddle bug. At what stage are you guys (or are you already) leaving bubby to fall asleep themselves?? hendrix is so easy to settle but he has to be in our arms or in his carrier, or in the car. I dont mind this (in fact enjoy it very much as i know that this stage is going to go by so quickly) but when do you start routine??

Brooke - im so proud of you and your bottlefeeding your EBM. You guys are doing so much for Maya so that she is getting the best she possibly can, its awesome.

Rach - im so glad that everything is going so well with Blake and that you have sorted your BF probs. He sounds like he is sleeping well. For the past two nights hendrix hasnt had his freak out in the evening i have been able to get him to sleep with lots of cuddles and he is sleeping till 1am which ends up being his 6-7 hour sleep. I am loving this but if i was living in a perfect world he would do this through the night haha.....

Mel look forward to hearing about your birth.

xx

I'm envious too, Heather. 6-7 hours! Wow! Blake has had a couple of 5 hour sleeps but other than that he's clockwork to 4 hours.

He pretty much self settles apart from in the evening during witching hour. I tend to find that he generally falls asleep at the breast, or gets so "Boozy Drunk" that by the time I sit him up to burp him he's got his sleepy eyes rolling around in his head and that he's ready to sleep. When I wrap him and put him in his bassinet, he might squeak a few times however he generally does it all by himself. I do feel pretty lucky this time around because my DD was SUCH hard work, feeding, settling, sleeping. It helps having my second child well settled as at least its easier to drag him around to school pick up/drop offs and other activities.

I'm contemplating grocery shopping and working out when to plan it for. I think probably after he's had a feed so he's pretty sleepy and will last happily for the hour long expedition. That might be Wednesday (or not) or else the lovely people at coles online will hear from me.

Don't feel bad about saying no, Brooke . We had my cousin over from Perth with his daughter, and there was a big lunch at my mum's yesterday with all the Melbourne cousins and aunts and uncles etc. All along I said that we would try to go, but after my DD having two sleep overs in a row and it being the very first day we were home as a family, we decided not to go, and went for our first walk to the park. Far more valuable and a whole lot less stressful. As much as I missed seeing everyone, and again showing Blake off, it was a better choice to not go.

Heather, how did your/Hendrix's hearing test go? We have our booked for the 1st August, which I thought seemed ages away but it's really only a couple of weeks. How exciting too to have your health centre check. I've got our health nurse doing the first visit as a home visit this Thursday or Friday. I cant' wait to get into the routine of taking Blake to see her. I'm just disappointed the local centre which was in walking distance closed, and we now have to drive to the closest one. It's not far, but too far for a walk

Well I'm going to pick up DD now from school. I contemplated walking but I think it will rain before too long, and I'm getting a bit tired. I haven't had a sleep today and maybe it's catching up on me.

Have a good afternoon.

Brooke - yeah my boobs have settled down thankfully, they are still massive but not rock hard. How did your doctors appoint go??

Rach - hendrix's hearing appoint was all clear and the appoint with the health nurse was good too. He is a healthy little guy which is great news and such a relief.

I also have to learn to say no. Tomorrow we have no appoints and no chores to do and im looking forward to staying in my pjs all day and also spending some time with my son. Im feeling pretty exhausted after today running from one appoint to the next didnt get my usual morning sleep from 7-10am as we had to go to 9am appoint and god do those few hours make my day bearable.

Early night tonight i hope. Fingers crossed.

*Megan* Guest

Hello girls! Just poppinge in to say hello - don't have much time to post these days so won't be around much....

Brooke - sorry to hear about your breastfeeding issues. I had them as well in the first 2-3 weeks, but we are good now. But I can sympathesize (sp)with you as it was the worst pain I had ever felt in my life initally! You have given Maya a great start and will continue to be great with whatever decision you decide....

All is well here, except that I have mastisis!! Yuck!

Better dash - off to an appointment soon...

Love to you all

Megan

Stormi Guest

Hi all,

Nothing much to report here, really. Had a fairly decent night with Makenzie last night and that makes so much difference to my mood during the following day! I was even dressed by 10am!

Now I have to try to remember to reply to everyone...

Beckles - Hope the blood transfusion went well. What happened that you needed that, if you don't mind me asking. Hope everything is fine now.

Megan - Ick, mastitis! I had that so bad with Riley, I didn't know what was wrong with me, I was so sick. Hope it clears up soon.

Hi Rach, hi Mel!

Brooke - Don't feel bad that you may have to use a bottle for Maya, she is still getting EBM so don't worry. Even if you change to formula now, you've still given her the best start in life you can anyway. Some days I just feel like giving up breastfeeding, sometimes I worry she's not getting enough etc - boobs should be clear with millilitre markings on them so you can see how much you've fed them.

Heather - I usually put Makenzie down to settle herself to sleep most times. But she goes by "Number 3 parenting rules" lol. They raise themselves lol. Nah, during the day we usually put her in her bassinet to go to sleep on her own, usually she doesn't cry though. In the night if she's unsettled I often cuddle her to sleep. It's hard though, coz I want to cuddle her all the time.

I hope I haven't missed anyone.

Makenzie had a hearing test in hospital, they have this program called SWISH which is a newborn hearing thing they do now, they came around to my room and asked if I wanted it done. Unfortunately DH wasn't there at the time and he'd taken the cameras home, because Makenzie looked like a little spaceman with the things stuck on her forehead and these little clear headphones on each ear, one with a big blue light, the other with a red light lol.

Still haven't been to the baby clinic yet lol. I'm slowly getting through my "things to do" pile. Filled out the birth certificate form today, then picked up the one for the maternity payment etc and there's like 100 pages to fill in so I put it away again lol.

Anyway, better go and eat, I'm constantly hungry - it's hard not to grab junk food all the time though.

Lisa - im so with you on the clear boobs situation haha - that would be fantastic!!! We had the same hearing equipment on hendrix he looked like a little test pilot. Im just going to mix it up with the settling situation. Ive just put him in his bassinet and he is staring into space which indicates he should put himself to sleep (he did last night at dinnertime). Then if i feel like cuddling him to sleep (which i do want to do always also) then i will, i feel that as long as they are put to sleep in different ways all will be good. But i wont let him cry himself to sleep that is one thing that i am going to stick to.

Brooke - i havent been out by myself yet either as mike is still off work (this is his last week). I went shopping with my sister and i last weekend and that was hard enough - she was able to help push the pram but just organising to get out of the car takes half an hour, you almost need a check-list to check off as you go along.

Megan - hope the mastitis clears up - how come you wont be on so much??

Well his stirring so there goes that plan!!

Just a quick post with no personals - sorry girls. Had a pretty tough night with Blake. He did the endless vomit from hell thing last night as I was feeding him at 10pm. He threw up the WHOLE feed with endless milk coming from both his mouth and nose. What a mess!!! Settled him down, cleaned him up and just cuddled him for about an hour. Then of course he was hungry and because he was just about finished feeding when he vomited, I was low on milk. He had enough of a feed, but wouldn't really settle. Gave him some more an hour later but we didn't get a good night's sleep.

When he went down for his sleep this morning I curled up in bed, but then the sparkie came to install a dimmer in Blake's room and also fix the dimmer in our family room. So much for a sleep then.

Blake's just woken, had a feed and now he's gone back to bed. I've done the dishes, had lunch and expressed some milk as last night has played havoc with my supply for some reason. I would have thought it would have produced heaps extra, but it's not. Anyway I'm off for a sleep before the school pick up. It's certainly different having number 2 child. *How does my sister in law do it with 3 and #4 on the way?*

Hope you're all having a good day.

There must be something in the air as Hendrix had his first really unsettled moment from 10am till 1:30 i could not get him to settle. I think he has really bad wind as he did three pooey nappies in this time. But everytime i would relax him he would wake up screaming. Anyway he is down now and im trying to get onto the tresillian helpline to ask some expressing advice and its engaged so ill just have to keep trying. I've had a few tears this morning and arvo as its really hard to feel confident at times like this - makes me realise how much we really are winging it.

*Megan* Guest

Hugs Heather!! I think I had several breakdowns when little Finlay was 2 weeks old...it does get better though.....hope that you are feeling OK now!

Life is just a little hectic at the moment, so am finding it hard to log on....

Hope that everyone else is managing OK with the ups and downs of being a new mum!

Megan

belmarks Guest

Hi girls, I just wanted to drop in and say hi, I am new to this thread, as I've been slack and haven't been on here much in the last month. I've been busy with my little man, trying to get to know each other, its a wonderful time isn't it!

Hope you are all well and hopefully we can all get to know each other better!!

Hi mums!

My little man is 2 days old and he is still namelss...poor little thing. He doesn't seem to mind! But how hopeless are we, we just don't know what we're going to call him yet. But hopefully in the next couple of days it will come. DH was saying, 'we have months to decide' as here everyone is given a number at birth anyway, so you don't need to officiallly register a name for 6 months. But I am insisting we have to come up with it soon..like in the next day or so.

Other than that, I am finding it overwhelming to be a new mum. Who knew it would be so amazing? Heather you are totally right when you say we are winging it! My god I am flying by the seat of my pants every moment!

My boobs have also grown into mountains this afternoon and 'Chico' is now drugged out after a small feed. He's right into them so far, i hope he doesn't change his mind suddenly!

Thursday, mum arrives then we are off to spend a couple of weeks in the countryside with all the grannys. Should be good to be able to pass him over to the experts.

I'll sort out my 'registration' into this thread when we have a name. And try and find some time now and again to chat with you. But for now just a post to say hi! And its so great to not be pregnant anymore and to have bub in my arms. Will share the birth story soon with you ... DH took notes so its just got to be typed out.

Welcome Deb - so glad you are here. i love that we have continued with each other through our amazing journey's. Have a great time in the countryside and cant wait to hear of his name!!

mama mel Guest

I'm feeding Ryan & typing 1 handed, only way I'll get on these days! I've updated Ryan's site now if you wanna see some pics of him..

I LOVE having 2 munchkins!! I didn't realise having him would make me love Andrew n Adara even more but it has. And I was so worried about the adjustment period this time but I'm finding it sooo much easier the 2nd time around than I did as a 1st time mum. Of course I'm A LOT busier n often have to BF Ryan while doing stuff with Adara but I'm so much happier...

Adara absolutely loves him and is doing so much better than I ever hoped for! She gave him a big kiss & hug when she met him & there's been no jealousy at all. She's really happy when he's awake. When he cries it upsets her b/c she's worried about him & she used to cry too but now she's ok with it & gives him her baby chou chou's mini teddy or a bunny rug to make him feel better! She's even been less demanding, like she understands she has to wait sometimes now.. She really is amazing me with how good she is! I wish I had've known how well this would go when I was pg, it would've saved me a lot of worry & guilt!!

He's a great baby He did want to snack every 2hrs but I managed to stretch it out to a bigger feed 4-5hrly the last few days. Usually easy to settle, except he's up & down btn 11pm & 4am, when he used to kick like mad in my tummy.

I'm in a G cup now, up 4 cup sizes again! Had hoped my boobs wouldn't go as crazy this time.. Oh well! Lucky I have piggies of babies! I thought about putting Adara on to help with the engorgement but then I saw her 8 front teeth and 4 molars.. [-X

Oh I'm sorry, I could babble on for hrs about how we are! I wish I could bottle this time and be able to come back to it years down the track, they're both at such beautiful stages! (I've thought that about every age so far though LOL)

Brooke - Sorry you had a few probs BFing.. It really doesn't matter how she gets fed though, whatever works best for you both. Hope she gets easier to settle for you soon, that can be so hard. You're doing so well coping ATM.

Rachel - Glad you're settling in so well & have sorted out the BFing.. OUCH you poor thing!

Hi Deb! Hope you find the perfect name for Chicco soon!

Heather - Sounds like things are going wonderfully for you. They all have their times when things get a bit more trying but you sound like you're doing a great job with him. Ryan's usually asleep everytime I put him down being so young but I will make it a point to let him drift off by himself in bed early on b/c I left it a bit late with Adara. I'm with you in the no controlled crying too. The most I did with Adara is let her sook (not cry) for a min or 2 when she went through a rough patch at about 8-9mths old.. I also picked her up every time she wanted me & never left her waiting or wanting for anything (even though everyone around me told me I was crazy) and I'm sure that's the reason she's taken to Ryan so well, she knows she's loved.. They say no controlled crying under 6mths anyway though, otherwise their too young to understand..

I cried almost every day for the 1st 2wks after Adara was born and was so overwhelmed and doubting myself. All you new mums are doing so well.. It does get a whole lot easier soon.

*Megan* Guest

Just popping in quickly to say to Mel that Ryan is Gorgeous!!! You sound like you are doing great......

Have updated my website also if you would like to have a look...

Congrats Deb on the birth of bubs! Can't wait to hear what you decide to call him.

Finlay is calling for a feed - must dash!

Megan

Stormi Guest

Just a quick "me" thread for now, can't really think much at this time of the morning. I've updated my website too.

I think I'm getting mastitis or at the very least I've got blocked ducts - talk about painful!

DH and I went out for dinner tonight - of course Makenzie slept the whole time for MIL.

I bought some Colic Relief today, she's been unsettled the last couple of nights and doing this pained cry like she's got a belly ache or something. She seems okay tonight though, she's being cuddled while I type.

anyway, will catch up with personals tomorrow.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast