Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Newborn to 1 Month, March '05

Aww I love the name Violet Crystal, Tanya. LOL at naming her Amethyst!!

That sleep technique sounds like it'd work pretty good. Luckly I don't need to use it.

Tanya, just looked at the photos of Violet. She's gorgeous!

Awwww thanx Tegan . Alecia, my 1st, never had any prob with sleep, so when I had Em, I was in for a biiig shock! You are very lucky, I think good sleepers are few and far between!

Tanya

Debbie Lee Guest

Trish - oh no! You poor thing! And poor little Tehya with thrush (and everything else!). Like you said, these things happen in 3's so that's gotta be it for your little pumpkin!

Tanya - Violet Crystal is just a beautiful name! LOL @ calling her Amythist. Maybe you could call her "Ammy" as a nick-name?? Where are the photos? I keep going to your site and it's the same as before.

Fi - don't worry, you will be experiencing all of this verrrrrrry soon! And I dunno about it being worse or better than the pregnancy stuff. I guess I would say better because at least we get to see their cute little faces and melt once in a while Won't be long missy!!!

Sarah - you are not alone. I found it very difficult to get to sleep yesterday when she went down for a couple of hours. My mind was racing. Even though I was very tired with only a couple of hours from the night before, I just couldn't nod off. Then the neighbour knocked on the door, the dog went spak and that was the end of that! LOL I reckon it takes a good hour to actually drift off to sleep cos you are constantly waiting to hear bubs cry or wake up. I hope it gets easier for you!

Wow! What a night!
    I think I underestimated my little girl.
    I was sitting in the loungeroom last night organising for Gabby to have a bath when i decided to check the answering machine. There were a few messages that we didn't pick up on because I had it turned right down. N E way, Neil's aunty had called (on his Mum's side of the family) and said that she had heard we had the baby but was waiting to hear from us. I thought Neil had already called them!
    So, I got on the phone and called them straight away. His Uncle answered (his mum's brother) so I told him all about it and apologised profusely. I told him that we intended on visiting his Mum (Neil's grandma) today and he said that would be wonderful. Then I mentioned something about getting a generational photo only to remind myself that one of the generations (Neil's Mum) will be missing. WELL, I hung up the phone after the convo ended and burst into tears! The realisation that Gabby doesn't have any grandparents on Neil's side of the family hit me like a tonne of bricks! I just looked into my little girl's eyes and cried for her loss that she doesn't even know about!
    I got Neil to come inside and wailed like a baby. How silly am I?? He just hugged me and let me cry. I am not sure he knew what to do.
    We filled the bath (cranked up the heater cos it's getting cold here too) and Neil moved one of the lounge chairs into the nursery for me so I can BF in there and have a little "station" set up for my water and phone etc. It was just getting too cluttered out in the loungeroom/make-shift kitchen.
    She screamed through her bath then I gave her a good feed (lasted probably an hour) then she zonked it!
    Neil had offered to have her out in the shed where he had the pot-belly going while I got some sleep but she seemed to be out on her own in the cradle.
    I went to sleep and woke when Neil came to bed at about 1am!! So she had slept for 3 hours! I didn't want to wake her so I went back to sleep and woke again at 3:30am. Still asleep! And - no dummy! I went in and turned off the heater (which was on low heat just to take the chill off the air) and music and slowly she stirred but didn't cry. I got her up and gave her another good feed and watched some TV. I put her back to bed at 4:30am and she slept until 8:30am!!! OMG! It was wonderful! So I have had 2 really nice, solid sleeps. I hope this is a sign of things to come.
    So we are definitely gonna do the bath thing. If we have the heater going full blast and warm the place up heaps then do the bath on the coffee table, the cold doesn't seem to matter. I reckon give it a go, Sarah. It may just wear Zander out enough to get him to sleep at least for a full 4 or 5 hours at night.
    Actually, I was going to ask - how long would you let bubs sleep at night before waking them for a feed?? I was contemplating on waking her earlier than what I did but I figure if she was hungry she would wake up on her own?? Hmmmm

Debbie Lee Guest

Tanya - never mind. Just had to refresh the page. Violet is just beauuuutiful!! What a cutey. That photo of her and Alecia is lovely. She must just love having her new little sister around. Is it handy having the eldest being old enough to help out with the younger ones? I imagine it would be an extra hand sometimes.

Hiya girls!!! WOW you are all doing so well!!

Just a bit of memory lane for me Matilda co-slept so we didn't have any day/night confusion for the first 8 weeks. When she went into her cot, we had a few problems with it, and we did a few things to sort it out. The bath was always at night, DH did every bath for the first 6 weeks while my scar healed and did them when he got home from work, we'd have a bath time, feed up and then we would take her into a darkened room and read her stories and cuddle her until she was tired and then we would pat her/rock her or cuddle her/even sometimes feed her to sleep....whatever worked the first 6 weeks

Have any of you girls read any of Pinky McKay's books? I found "100 Ways to Calm the Crying and "Parenting by the Hearth" to be invaluable resources to me during the first few months.

Hey Debbie

My theory has always been to never wake a sleeping baby. If they are asleep let them sleep IMO. If they are hungry they will wake. Even now if Lachlan is asleep and we have to do stuff we put it off or just rock up late, but if we must do stuff we trying to plan it out of nap times

Love

I agree that you shouldn't wake a sleeping baby, especially at night. My thinking is if you wake them at night it mucks up their sleep pattern so they probably won't sleep through the night. We never wake Lily. She wakes when shes hungry. At night she sleeps between 8-12 hours. During the day she has two naps which last about an hour each. Sorry i am not much help with the sleep issue as Lily has slept through since day 4. I have '100 way the calm the crying' and when she is really restless i find that book really helps.

Melinda Guest

Just sticking my head in

Sarah - I didn't EVER sleep once during the day when Jacob was asleep. I just couldn't do it as I had too many things whirling through my mind. I struggled with sleep at night as well, but it got better over time. I know it can be really hard.

Debbie - we never woke Jacob for a feed either as we figured that if he was asleep, that's what he needed right then, and that he would wake when he was hungry.

Hey Ladies,

So great to see you all here!

A couple of things... I never wake Matthew either, just let him sleep and let him wake up and let me know if he needs a feed.

I find that I can't sleep during the day at all and I found it hard to drop off at night as well.. especially the last couple of nights as we have put Matthew in his cot in his room now. You just lay there all tense waiting for him to cry out.

I must get those Pinky books myself as well, they will come in handy.

Love the pictures too Tanya, Colleen, Debbie and Sarah, just beautiful little ones... gosh Tanya, Alecia looks so much like you!

Oh the babies are just beautiful! Well done, everyone.

Things are going okay here. I have had my good days and my bad days. My worst day was when DH went back to work after a week. I was terrified of being left alone with the little baby. No doubt that was due to hormones and lack of sleep so I went to my mum's the next day and she looked after Charlotte whilst I slept. Mum was most upset when Charlotte slept for the entire time that I slept.

I am still breastfeeding but my nipples are a little tender, they were awful when I got home from hospital but have improved no end since then. I had one day of having bowling ball breasts which I foolishly told my sister about. She got off the phone to me and rang mum to tell her that it was because the baby had been put into the nursery the night that she was born. Aah families.

Tanya, I love the name Violet Crystal. It sounds otherworldly.

Trish, poor little Tehya is in the wars. Hopefully she will get better soon.

Sarah, Charlotte hates the bath and screams through it so it doesn't relax her at all. I think that all babies must be different. Charlotte has been crying whenever she is awake which distresses me but in the last 2 days we have an hour or two of play in the morning. I love happy babies.

I want to say that my DH is lovely as well. He told me to go out yesterday by myself just for a break. And the other night he sent me to bed and Charlotte fell asleep on him so he kept her there until she woke up for her next feed which was at 2:45am. He is lovely.

Debbie Lee Guest

Maryann - Gabby hates the bath too but I do it at night to wear her out more than relax her. At the hospital, the midwives said that if bubs needed a big feed, doing it after a bath is not a good idea because they are so worn out and don't have the strength for all that sucking. Mind you, they could have just been talking about the days where there is just colostrum cos that must be a killer to have to suck out!!

Thanks for the advice re. the sleeping. I guess because Gabby was in special care for that little bit because of her blood sugar, I am just a little worried about leaving her for too long without a feed. Still, like you all say, she will let me know when she is hungry. If we have another good night tonight, I won't wake her. I will let her wake me!

Christy, I haven't read the Pinky McKay books. I won them as part of the 5000 member competition but never got them Will have to hassle poor Kelly again I think. Either that or just go and buy them. They sound good.

My midwife has suggested to me that I attend the maternal day-stay program that Barwon Health has just for an educational perspective. She said that even if you feel that you have everything all together, it can still help to get some more advice. Apparently it's a program where you stay for the whole day and they teach you sleeping techniques, help solve feeding issues and various other baby related stuff. She said there is a bit of a list to get in so it's a good idea to put your name down early. I am sure other regions have similar programs. Unfortunately, ours is way out in Corio (the scummiest suburb in Geelong) and, because I can't drive atm, I would have to go on a day where someone else could drive me in. The maxalon makes me way too dizzy to even contemplate walking any great distance let alone drive (which I would never do with Gabby in the car while I am on these tablets!). Ah well... perhaps I won't get in for a few weeks n e way and it won't be an issue!

My sister, Hanna, has organised with a friend of hers to get some photos done of Gabby. She is studying photography and does a really good job. I want to get some black and whites of Neil holding Gabby in the nude. Neil has a tattoo on his arm so I would like to incorporate that too. I want to do them while Gabby is still so little. I reckon they will look awesome. Only problem is, she howls when she is naked! Hopefully she will calm down when cuddled.

Hi Girls,

I must be the only one who baths their bub in the morning, I like Tehya to start the day off nice and fresh and smelling nice I did have a bath with her the other night though and she had a feed while she was in there. Killed 2 birds with the one stone I reckon. She seems to be getting better, thankfully, her mouth is slowly clearing up just need my nipples to do the same.

Tanya, just had a look at Violet's page, she is a real cutey. Good to see that you got your way with her name too

Deb, sounds like little Gabby is sleeping fantastically for you, lucky girl. You got a great sleep there, even Noah still doesn't sleep that good.

Maryann, lucky you DH giving you a break. It's amazing how much difference it makes when you get abit of decent sleep hey. Ouchie on the sore nipples too, I'm hearing you atm.

Fi, all too soon you will be in here with us. Hopefully I will still be around in here anyway. Hope all is going well for you and that you are taking it easy.

Sarah, how are you guys settling in? Hows Zander going on the boob? Hopefully all is going great for you and the little man or should I say men

Take care
    Trish

Deb, Just checked out Gabby's page. How cute is she!!! Well done, she is a little beauty

Also, just updated Tehya's page with a few more pics.

Take care
    Trish

Debbie Lee Guest

Ooops! Have to add my stuff.

Forum Name: Bieleemorris
    State: Victoria
    Baby's DOB: 21 March 2005
    Baby's Stats: Weight - 8lbs Length 50.5cm- Head Circ - TBA
    Gender of Baby: Girl
    Baby Name(s): Gabrielle Lee
    Baby's Website: http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/l/littlenobba/
    Health Concerns: (e.g. eczema, reflux, colic)
    Notes: (e.g. 9 days early, breech etc.) Emergency C-Section after baby showed signs of distress. The cord was wrapped around her neck!!

Debbie Lee Guest

Trish - just checked out the photos! What gorgeous, big eyes! That one of her in the bath is just priceless. Does she grip onto the face washer?? Gabby holds onto it for dear life when I am bathing her. It's like it's her way of getting to freedom or something, LOL. I agree with you - Gabby is pretty damn cute! I keep telling Neil that i feel like she is a far greater achievement than my 2 degrees, LOL. He agrees

Colleen - sounds like it is rather full-on at your place atm. Still, it sounds like you are cruising along ok. Hope that little James starts feeling better and that the mustard poos go away soon.

Speaking of poo, Gabby did her first "at home" poo today. It was just as I was taking her old nappy off. Lucky it was still there to catch it! Was quite runny and smelly but a poo none-the-less so we were pretty rapt! It all just means she is getting the fluids that she needs. She is feeding like a trooper now which is grrreat!

We've had a pretty full on day today. My sisters and Mum came over today for a BBQ. They brought everything and prepared it and Mum even did the dishes (woo hoo!!). They all took turns holding Gabby so I have hardly seen her all day. Unfortunately she slept a lot so I hope that doesn't mean that she is going to be awake all night. Am going to give her a bath at about 9pm and try to do the same stuff as last night. Hopefully we will get a good sleep. This time I won't wake her earlier than she needs. Mum agrees with you guys - no need to wake her. She will let me know when she is hungry. I have the domicillary nurse coming again tomorrow. I have to get her to take the steri-strips off my wound because I just can't bring myself to do it! I have tried bathing first to soften them but they are stuck fast. Just trying to peel them off makes me wanna hurl! I am just best to not be able to see it. Neil isn't interested in trying either so it looks like she is gonna have to earn her $$ tomorrow!
    We also have to go and see Neil's grandmother. He didn't want to go today because we had too much to do. gabby met her great-great uncle today but that was because he was at his daughter's place across the road. His grandmother is in a retirement home across town so it will be Gab's first car ride apart from coming home from hospital. Just walking across the road was enough for me so I imagine I am going to be pretty tired after tomorrow's efforts. It's funny, I feel fine most of the time but I realise I have to take it easy. It hasn't even been a week yet and I have had major surgery - I just have to remind myself!! LOL

Trish, the photos of Tehya are gorgeous!

Colleen, i hope little James gets better soon, poor bub.

Oh geez, where to start?! You guys seem to be online as much as ever & Im struggling to make it here once a day!

We had a great night last night, Zander slept from 11.15pm - 4.30am where he had a whinge every 15mins or so for his dummy. Had a feed at 5.30am then we all got up at 9.00am - can I just say I felt like a new person! We changed a few things - as in he slept in the car capsule attached to the pram in our room rather than his cot. He then had a sleep today from 11am - 6.30pm, now why can't he do that at night

Deb, I had my last visit with the domicillary midwife today & she said to leave my steri strips on until they came off themselves.... Weird.

It's funny Colleen, the hospital told us that with Zander's size he would only need 000 clothes - yeah right! Some of the 0000's mum bought yesterday are too loong in the arms & legs!

No boob for Mr Alexzander Trish. I was desperatley trying to express & was lucky to get 20ml out of each boob. The midwife today said that sometimes with c-sections the milk never comes in properly & she thinks it might be the case here. My boobs are the same size as during the pregnancy, no hardness or anything, so it's quite obvious that there's nothing going on in there. It's cool though, he's happy with the formula & has almost regained his birthweight. Ouchies on the thrush, hope it goes quickly.

Glad I'm not the only one having troubles sleeping during the day. I suppose I could use that time to catch up on here more often

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast