Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Newborn - 1 Month, May '05

Dee - I really hope you are feeling better soon.

Lesley - Hope you and Chloe are doing okay.

Alex finally took 60mls for his last 2 feeds but then he was sick both times. Poor little thing just wants a cuddle he will not settle in his bed. He is falling asleep in my arms and as soon as i put him to bed he gets upset.

Michelle, you might've said already, but have you tried raising his bed head? I found that if Alexzander is laid flat he won't settle & just cries, but if he is on an incline he is pretty good....

Hi Sarah,

Alex's head is raised just a little.
    Trouble is he wants feeding again already he last feed at 7.30p.m and threw most of it up. I am going to try and leave him until he should feed again next then try him back in his bed. I did try giving him a dummy but he just does not like them.

That's a shame that he doesn't like his dummy, cos they are supposed to help reflux bubs - I was told it works like chewing gum getting the stomach acids to work so the food is digested faster. Zander sometimes wants his next bottle earlier if he has had a big chuck & I usually give it to him when he wants it - not sure if I should wait, but he is adamant he wants it IYKWIM!

I gave in and got Alex a bottle he too 20mls and is now asleep in his bed.
    Just glad this little bit has stayed down this time.

What kind of dummy do you use ??
    I have 3 kinds and he does not like any of them.
    Avent, Happy Baby and Nuk.

Thank you so much for your help Sarah.

You would think i would know what to do with already having Kimberley.

Hi Everyone! It's kinda late (early?).....am up with Hannah as usual. She's a real night owl. Sleeps like an angel during the day, and is a little devil all night.

Have just spent 1 hr 20 mins feeding her (my milk was really slow coming in, and I'm still not sure it's adequate for her). Anyhow, she's not in the least bit sleepy. Have tried everything - burping, massage, changed nappy, beethoven, rocking her bassinette, walking around the house with the pram. Am a walking zombie and at my wits end!!! This is my third night at home with her, and I'm finding it really full on. I didn't have a single night in hospital where they didn't have to take her to the nursery and away from me. Had the baby blues something shocking. Poor kid ended up covered in tears and snot most nights (mine). Pretty picture.

I have her in the sling now with a dummy....she's still managing an ear peircing scream...and I have no idea what to try next! I wonder if she's hungry due to insufficient milk supply, or if it's just wind.

Has anyone tried infacol for wind? Any idea if it works?

Anyhow....that's where I'm at. This whole motherhood thing is much trickier than it looks. I can't help but wonder if I'm up to the task.

Oh well...we'll take it one day at a time.

Hope everyone else and bubs are doing well! I will go back in the thread a little and try to catch up on where everyone is at....

Chow for now.

Hi Juliette,

I thought i was the only one up this late.
    I used infacol with Kimberley and it worked. Give it a try and see what happens.
    Really hope you are able to get some sleep at night soon.
    Not sure what else you can do to get Hannah to sleep.
    The only other thing i would say try is formula milk if you don't think you have enough milk for Hannah. That could help.

You are doing a good job and you are a great mother.
    Hope you are resting during the day when Hannah is asleep.

I should really go and see if Kimberley has fallen back alseep in our bed and if i can get her back into her own. I hate nights like this when one hour it's Alex awake then the next it's Kimberley i guess it's the joy of having two kids now. Also i think i am getting a sore throat.

hey,
    my turn to be up now, been up for half hour..silly babies but we love em

bit annoyed shes falling asleep and only taken half her bottle trying to get her to take a lil more else ill be back up in an hr..

well all family have left now so i should be on a lil bit more often

hope everyones having a good night

take care
    Lesley

We have a Tommy Tippee dummy for Zander Michelle. He wasn't too keen on the Nuk one & that's the only other we've tried.

Juliette - I felt exactly the same as you after a week - I never spent a night with the baby in hospital either, and having mum and Shane around, I really didn't learn how to settle her until a couple of weeks old.

Those first few weeks are a killer - just do everything you can to get through it! I used to give myself a 90min limit at night, and if I couldn't get her down, I would wake up shane for help. Most nights for the first 3-4 weeks took about 90mins to 2hrs to get her back to sleep. Believe it or not, now its back to about 45mins most nights.

Without fail, the best way I found of getting her to sleep is on the breast - there is something about it. The next best thing was wrapped up, and lying face down on my chest. I would sit up in bed doing it for sometimes 30mins. So important to wrap them before they get toooooo sleepy, otherwise you wake them up again!!!

Keep your chin up! You'll get there! And try not to do anything like being on the computer at night. I watch telly, and believe it or not, the noise helps her get back to sleep again!!!

Fi

Hope you where able to get some sleep or rest today Lesley.

It's always the way they only take half a bottle then they are asleep and you are wide awake.

New pictures of Chloe are great she is just so beautiful

Shannon,

I am sitting here crying for you both.
    Sending you both lots of

You sound so brave and strong. I know deap down it must be so hard for you all right now.

Please keep us upto date on how Jessalyn is doing.
    You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Anytime you need to talk i am here for you.

Big hugs for you all Shannon. Just letting you know that you are in our thoughts.

Love

Hey Shannon...big hugs from us here too. We'll all be thinking of you and your precious little girl through this.

Shannon - I am so very sorry to read about your darling little girl Jessalyn. Your all going through such a tough time but you sound so positive and strong. Your all in my thoughts, please keep us up to date with Jessalyn`s progress.

Nell - Yes it gets very cold out here in the winter then summer is opposite, gets so hot, guess you get that when you live inland in the country.

Juliette - I have also found the first few weeks so tough. When Matthew got his flu at 11 days old I was getting up to him every 30 minutes throughout the night and at times I would be up 10 times in 10 minutes, I was exhausted that I got to a point where I was beginning to loose my patience, I am normally an extremely patient person but when your totally exhausted with a baby who will not sleep it takes it`s toll. I would have just loved to hand him over to someone in the middle of the night even for just 5 minutes break. In the end I just piled him into bed with me, put him back onto the breast and we both fell asleep. Now he`s over his cold but when he wakes at night I still feed him in bed where he drops off to sleep feeding then I put him straight back to his bed, he is always wrapped when feeding so all I have to do is put him straight to bed otherwise like Fi says if you leave wrapping too late he`ll wake up.

You girls are lucky getting a day sleep, something I haven`t done at all, no wonder I`m exhausted by early afternoon, I find that there is too much to do to sleep, I suppose even if I had a rest would be of some benefit but I don`t even seem to do that.

Take Care

Deeanne

Shannon just popping into send you our love and to let you know that we are here for you.

Shannon - *hugs* for you dear. So sorry to hear about Jessalyn, you sound very brave and I want to let you know, if there is anything I can do, please let me know. You have my mobile number, even if just for coffee and a chat. I am sure everything will be fine. Am thinking of you.

Juliette - you sound like a normal mother! it does seem like that poor bubs won't go to sleep sometimes, but imagine how big of a shock it is out here for them? She was nice and cozy inside and now it's not! Wrapping is the best thing. Even just handing her to someone else may help. Does she have lots of wet nappies? Then she'll be getting enough milk. It will get better and please don't judge yourself - of course you are a good mother!

Dee - how is Matthew, Mark and yourself now? If you need to rest during the day then please do it. You have to recover as not only have you had a baby but major surgery as well! Leave that housework and get Mark to cook dinner.

Hope Michelle and Lesley and bubs are fine.

Debbie Lee Guest

Awww Shannon! So sorry to hear about little Jessalyn and everything that she is going to have to go through. :hugs: I can't even begin to imagine how scared you must be.
    On a more positive note, I had a look at your website and your bathroom looks so much like ours (except ours is pink.. urrgh!) and we have almost the same cradle! Uncanny!!

Dee - they say that even just laying down during the day can help (and it's great for your BM). Mind you, I haven't really rested during the day either. I do try to sit down on the couch for part of the day tho and not do anything much (just watch the bold and the beautiful ).

Hope you are all getting some good sleeps over night (well, better than the other night n e way!).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast