Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Newborn - 1 Month, May '05

Hey Dee - hopefully Michelle and Lesley join in with you soon! And Min and all the other May girls who are due to drop their bits.

As for the hospital - liek Deb says, partners were allowed 9-9, but I dont think they cared all that much. My Mum spent most of the day there, and because she was quiet, noone really minded. The second day there (I only had two...) she looked after Jenna the whole "rest period" between 2:30 and 4, and I was able to sleep. Its all very well having a hospital policy of having babies in the room, but hard to get some sleep in those first days. If I only knew then what I know now. Man I would have slept, and slept and slept, and not worried about her at all.

The spots you are talking do sound liek Gabby's spots that she had - and like deb said, just a staph infection that cleaned up fairly easily from what I understand. Hopefully are you seeing any more midwives? Hopefully if you get to see one in the next couple of days they will help you out.

Fi

hey girls,
    sorry its taken me ages to post. Chloe has been making me very tired, also have an allergy rash which is quite painful and stopped me from breast feeding so I can take anti histamine's..

other then the no sleep, shes doing well, she was weighed on friday and is 210 gms over her birth weight, she lost 400 gms in the first few days so shes put all that back on plus a lil more in a week and a half, thats when I was breast feeding though, we've now put her onto bottles and i feel like a failure really, now she seems to be constipated and in alot of pain somewhere and I blame myself for the rash and not standing it and taking her off the breast, anthony says its not my fault, i wouldnt of been able to breast feed if i was ill anyway..The rash is extremly itchy still but i think the anti histamines are starting to work..

chloe had those spots too, the staff infection, all we did was put betadine (sp?) on them at every nappy changed and they've all cleared now..

anthony stayed over night with me in hopsital when chloe was born, then i went home the next day anyway

well off to get some sleep... wishful thinking there..gotta go for a drive in the morning to meet anthonys parents as they arrive.. my mum is being a right pain in the bum.. but ill explain about that more later...

take care
    Lesley

Debbie Lee Guest

Lesley - sorry to hear about your rash and having to give up breast feeding. Anthony is right tho - you can't let yourself feel guilty about it. You did what you needed to do at the time. You can't change it so try not to stress about it because little Chloe will pick up on that stress. Gosh, I almost gave up breast feeding 1000 times in the first few weeks and I didn't have anything near like what you have to push me over the edge. I think if I did have something major, it wouldn't have taken much convincing to get me to bottle-feed her. I hope things start settling down for you soon. Great to hear the wonderful weight-gain that Chloe had! Sorry to hear your Mum is being a pain. Hope you got some sleep!

Can someone please add our details

Forum Name: Tatty Teddy
    State: SA
    Baby's DOB: 11/05/05
    Baby's Stats: Weight 2.660 5 lb 14oz Length 46.5cm Head Circ 35cm
    Gender of Baby: Boy
    Baby Name(s): Alexander Edward
    Baby's Website:
    Health Concerns: None
    Notes: Was born at 36wks 6days by emergency c/section.

Debbie Lee Guest

Welcome Michelle! Hope you and Alexander are doing well. What does Kimberley think of her little bro?

Kimberley does not mind Alexander at all. When i am feeding him she says baby juice and sits next to us. She can even say Alex. I did worry at first as she took no notice in the hospital but has done since we have been home.

Details all added Michelle

Hope you get over your rash quickly Lesley.

Love

For the life of me i can not get Alexander to wind for me other than out of his bum. They have said he needs to feed more as is has lost weight not sure how i am going to get more milk into him. He is on about 40mls a feed has done 50 before.

He sleeps well during the day goes 4-5 hrs between feeds but at night he wakes after 3 hrs. Kimberley was just the same.

Got the midwife coming tomorrow again so hopefully he has out some weight on.

Thanks Deb for the tip re the staff infection, it`s seems like it`s quite common amongst newborns.

Welcome Lesley and Michelle.

Lesley - Don`t blame yourself for not being able to BF, sometimes things don`t go as we plan them to.

Michelle - Lol at the baby juice, glad all is well with you and Kimberley is loving her brother.

Shannon - I`m sure you`ll be in here very soon, sending labour vibes your way.

Well what an eventful few days we`ve had here, hence why I haven`t posted for a few days. Mark came down with a flu towards end of last week and he`s still trying to get rid of it, then Matthew came down with it on Saturday and our nights have been absolutely shocking, to the point where I`m getting up to him at least every 30 minutes. Poor little man can`t breath he`s so blocked up, sneezing, coughing, watery red eyes and has been bringing up mucus for the last couple of days, took him to the Dr yesterday as we were really worried about him as he also wasn`t feeding like he was and wet nappies were down compared to normal. Dr put him onto antibiotics which will help both his staff infection and flu, I didn`t want him started on antibiotics so early but don`t have too many options when he`s not well. Dr said to bring him back today if he`s no better or if he gets any worse take him straight to Hospital. Today he is slightly better, feeding better then he has been in the last few days, poor little man is so tired but can`t get to sleep.

Mark`s got to the stage now where he`s sleeping through Matthew crying but poor Mummy is totally exhausted, hopefully he`ll be better very soon and we can get some better sleep patterns happening.

Take Care

Deeanne

Debbie Lee Guest

Michelle - good to hear that Kimberley approves of her little bro. Gotta be so cute to watch her watching him Hope that Alexander has put on some weight for you. As for the wind thing, I have tried all different ways with Gabby. Sometimes she will burp, others she won't. I just sit her up now and lightly pat and rub but don't keep going if nothing comes up after a few moments. I have found her to be more settled now that I am not so worried about it. Maybe he just prefers to push his windies out of his bum? How long did it take Kimberly to sleep longer than 3 hours? I hope you can get more sleep out of him soon!

Dee - OMG sounds like you guys have had a rotten time. That sucks that Matthew got Mark's cold! BM is meant to protect him from that! You must feel like a zombie. I hope he gets better soon (and Mark too cos he is no good to you while he is sick). It must be so scary. Gabby hasn't been sick yet and I dread the day she does get sick cos I will freak, I reckon! N E way, hope you can get some rest soon matey.

Dee - so sorry to hear about Mark and Matthew - I hope that you don't catch the flu yourself! Hopefully little Matthew will be well soon.

Leslie - great to see to see you and hope that Chole is going well. Try not to worry about giving up breastfeeding, whats best for you is best for Chole.

Michelle - hope that Alexanders wind goes away for you soon.

Debbie - I was told by the midwife yesterday if Alex does not wind and he seems happy then don't worry about it. I think i have found the problem with his sleeping at night as he is in our room everytime i stirs i wake up and think right you want feeding well that is not the case he will take a little them be asleep again. I watched myself nearly do it first thing i have to learn to let him cry for his feed. I was the same with Kimberley.

Debbie Lee Guest

It's hard, isn't it Michelle?
    When Gabby was just a couple of weeks old, every time she cried I fed her. Any wonder I was so over it! The midwife said she was probably getting a sore tummy because she was getting so much fore-milk (she would only feed a little because she wasn't hungry).
    Figuring out what they want is so hard sometimes but I am finding it a little easier as she gets older. Good to hear it can be just as difficult even with your second baby!

Dee - sounds like a tough time of things. Shane had a cold when we got back from hospital, and I was so pleased we didn't catch it too!! When we fly back to NZ in June, I'm sure I'll pick up something. I always seem to on planes. Hopefulyl Jenna will be OK - I'm getting her vacc's done 3 days before we go.

Michelle - we are only just learning that her first whimper doesn't mean she needs feeding at night. We take her into bed with us usually and let her whimper in there, she usually goes for at least another hour before she cracks it. Problem is, I dont sleep cause I'm listening to her. I'm sure I'll get better at this mummy thing!

Fi

I thought i would know better not to wake with this being my second child but no. Going to try tonight and not jump out of bed until he screams the house down.

One the plus side today he took nearly 60mls of milk in one feed so i am pleased if the midwife says anything tomorrow that upsets me again i will stop letting her in.

How long does a midwife come round for after you get home ??

Lyell Mc Midwifes come 3 or 4 times. Usually 3 ... I had 4 with lachlan cause I went home on the 2nd day.

Love

Thanks Kathryn.

That means last visit tomorrow i hope

Might be different with people that have had c-sects too. Just ask when you see her tomorrow, she will tell you.

I loved all the ones that came and saw me, pity you are having such a rough time with them.

Love

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast