Thread: do you get AF on the Mini Pill?

Default do you get AF on the Mini Pill?

Hi all
    have been taking mini pill for nearly a month - and I am BF.
    Should i expect to get AF?
    I seem to have a v small amount of bleeding today..

TIA

I think everybody is different. I was only on the mini pill for a short time, but I did get AF back. I was exclusively b/f as well.

I got AF as normal on minipill, but this will depend on your bf and when af was going to return anyway. Oh, and don't rely only on mini pill as a contraceptive as I know lots of women who have ovulated and even fallen preg while taking it. It's not really very effective!

The mini pill wasn't for me, I was fully BF and taking it ,but I only started taking it once my AF had come back on it's own. I found that if I didn't take it as regular as clock work that I would get AF even if I had only had it 2weeks before

hmm interesting so would this mean i am ovulating??? or it is a 'fake' AF like when on the normal pill??
    oh i am v confused i half expected not to get AF when BF (exclusively and DS is only 9 weeks)and I thought the mini pill would more than make sure that didnt happen...

paradise lost Guest

It is your real AF but should be lighter as the minipill is supposed to thin your lining out. It does not (and is not supposed to) prevent ovulation. It prevents fertilisation by thickening your cervical mucus and making it hostile to sperm and it prevents implantation by thinning the uterine lining so the egg can't get stuck in to it. Some women don't bleed because the lining is so reduced barely anything sheds off at AF time. I was fully BFing DD every 3 hours or less around the clock and my AF returned at 6 weeks, 2 weeks after i ovulated again for the first time, 4 wks PP.

When i took the minipill i waited 54 days for a period (and did about 20 HPTs) and then bled every couple of weeks, once when my period was due anyway and once just after i ovulated. I now use a Mirena coil which is the same hormone (though only 10% of what is in the minipill) and i still have the same effect. My period is now so light i basically spot twice a month for a couple of days.

Bx

Thanks Bec - this makes sense as it was a v light bleed and just for a day...
    I thought I asked my OB all the important q's but then realised i know NOTHING about this pill ha ha.
    All i asked about was if it would make my skin break out LOL!! I am vainer than i thought...