Thread: Headaches

Red face Headaches

DD2 is 3weeks old and for the last week i have had a really nasty headache everyday. I am Bfing and drinking 2-3L of water a day and eating constantly. I wake up in the mornings with a dull headache but by mid morning i'm in agony so have to take something for the pain. It takes away the headache but within 4-6 hours its back I know i am tired as i have a toddler to look after as well as a nb but dont noramally get headaches like this from tiredness and if i get headaches they dont normally go on for days. Any advice from anyone? could it be hormonal? Any suggestions? Im jsut sick of feeling yuk.

Could just be stress and tiredness, even though you do not normaly get that long a headache. This is a first time you are mommy to a todler AND a new born, maybe you are more tired than you think? :hugs: If it keeps up for more than two weeks, I would go see a dr.
    It could be heat also - don't know how hot it is where you are, but I usually get those 4 day headaches in mid- to late summer. I hate them and I hate getting up with a headache.

I clicked in this cus yesterday and today I woke with headaches and i have a small one now. I just took 2 panadol and did the same this morning.. It went straight away. I also drink gallons of water.

I wonder if it is from tiredness and the heat..

My heat-headaches usually starts with just a dull "thickness" when waking up and after taking some painkillers they are gone and then comes back with a vengence around 4pm'ish and then NOTHING I take makes it better. Only saving grace is bed, which with a bubba is not possible.

Nadine- what you are saying about waking with a thickness and then taking painkillers only to have it return with a vengence is just what this is like. I feel that bad that it has me in tears. I want to go to bed so badly but am waiting to feed DD. My head is just throbbing.
    Nic- sorry to hear you too have a headache. Its definately no fun feeling like this with little ones to look after. I was wondering if maybe it could be a hormonal thing? I too have just taken more panadol but i feel like i am taking them too often thats why i posted. Surely it isnt doing me any good to be popping pills daily, I have had to take at least 2 a day since last Sunday. If it is from been over tired i hope i get some more sleep tonight/tomo. My MIL has taking DD1 for a sleepover so i will try and sleep in tomo i only plan to wake to feed and then go to sleep again so i will see if that makes me feel anybetter.

Don't know about the hormones - it might be, but as I say if you don't feel comfy taking that much painkillers, I would seek medical attention. How are you reaction to painkillers? I mean, like me, I have to take about two/three STRONG painkillers (Ibibrufen) just to feel something. I even have some prescription meds from DH's last operation that helps - sometimes. Do you get migrains??
    So glad for you that MIL is going to come and help. Maybe you will feel better after having a "sleepy" day
    Just thought about this: We have this headachepowers (mix asprin, paracetamol and caffien - sounds potent) that sometimes helps me get through the last part of the day, because it works faster than the tablet. I take it when, like you, are close to tears, because I HATE the taste and usually I breath in and the powder gets in my nose and I gag. It's a sad sight

PS. It sounds like I am a painkiller popper I'm not. I just get headaches constantly (heat and stress related) and suffer the odd migrain every once in a while - for those I got some gooooooood *****

Hi Hoody,

My DD is 3 weeks old today & I have also had a headache (although not as bad as yours sounds, you poor thing) on and off over the last week. I put it down to a combination of being a bit tired + a change in hormone level.

I'm a migrainey type of person & AF always brings with her a headache for the first day or so.. Pregnancy was bliss because they stopped altogether!

I don't have any great suggestions for relief unfortunately - when my headaches hit, I have just taken two of the paracetamol tablets (500mg) I was prescribed to help with the easing the pain of the episiotomy (....which I didn't end up needing them for).

I sincerely hope they ease up for you really, really soon.

x
    AJ

I had the worst headache last night. I actually thought I was going to throw up. I was feeding bub at 12:30 and I heard DH up and I had to get him come and get her and put her in her bed. I felt so yuck. I feel fine this morning and I had semi decent sleep so I wonder if mine is just a tiredness thing

Thanks for that.. that was interesting

Hi Hoody, sorry you are having such bad headaches. It may well be hormonal, I think it is really hard to find the source of headaches. I get a really bad headache about once a week that starts off as a pressure feeling behind my right eye. As the day goes on it gets worse and by the end of the day it is throbbing and I can barely function. These headaches normally last a couple of days . I finally discovered that I get these headaches when I haven't been drinking as much the day (or couple of days) before. Now that I am breastfeeding I definitely get them more frequently.

I have been getting this same type of headache for a few years and found that no pain killer under the sun will get rid of it. What I have found that helps me is of course drinking loads while I have the headache, I bought some Gatorade the other day because it helps rehydrate you better than water and that really helped too. I also find going for a walk in the fresh air takes the edge off it or just keeping active around the house (seems strange I know!). I find just sitting or laying down agravates it, maybe keeping the blood moving helps? Sometimes a good strong cup of coffee helps too, I have no idea why!

I really hope your headache eases up for you soon. That's great that your MIL can take your DD, I hope you get some good sleep today.

Thanks everyone for your replies and caro thanks that was an interesting read. I had the best nights sleep i've had since DD2 came along last night (still feeding 3hrly but good sleep in between) and didnt get up til 9am and still have a headache. I am trying not to take anything though will do this arvo if it gets any worse.
    Nic- i really understand how you must have felt last night i keep bursting into tears and when DH ask whats wrong i sound like a broken record "Nothing my head just hurts and it's making me feel sick" I am so glad you are feeling better this morning i hope you stay that way.
    Trish- i thought it was all in my head when i sat or layed on the couch only to feel worse glad its not jsut me. Dh keeps telling me to go and have a rest but i know if i stop when i start again it will be worse.
    Aj- HOws your head today? Lucky you for not getting them when pg i had nasty ones til about 26 wks but then was fine for the last trimester. Hopefully we will all feel a bit better sooner rather than later.
    Nadine- You def sound like a pill popper lol. Thanks for the mental picture of you gagging on yuor Headachepowders made me smile I alternate between panadol and ibrufen.