Thread: Sudden bright red bleeding?

Default Sudden bright red bleeding?

First off - apologies if this is the wrong section, I'm pretty sure it is. Just wasn't sure of the right one so picked the closest I could. Please move if necessary.

Warning - Possible TMI incoming

I just finished putting Savannah down and came out to the computer again to feel a pain of sorts in my stomach. I had just eaten a few sausage rolls, so thought it was that, but within a minute or two felt like I was wetting my pants so went to the toilet. This is where I discovered my pad was completely soaked in bright fresh blood. All day today I was commenting to DH how it appeared everything was drying up, so this was a surprise.

I finished going to the toilet, came back out to the computer, and once again felt like I was 'leaking'. I went back into the toilet and as soon as I sat down heard a noise - I had just lost a relatively decent sized clot. I spent the next 5 minutes sitting there dripping blood - bright fresh blood.

Now I'm only two weeks into the six week period the midwives told me the bleeding could go for, but it seems a bit strange to all of a sudden have a big loss like this after the past few days have seen it appearing to all stop.

Should I be making my way to the emergency room? I assume since I have been discharged from the birth center I can no longer ring them...

A little nervous/scared at the moment.

are you breastfeeding??? have you just feed bubs??

paradise lost Guest

Have you just had a breastfeed? BFing makes the uterus contract hard which can bring on a spate of bleeding as it pushes all the blood and clots in there out. For me this became more obvious when the bleeding was slowing down (previously i was bleeding all the time but later i bled less and had a bit of bleeding after every feed, which was more noticeable). If you feel otherwise ok (no nausea or fever) and your clot was the size of your palm or smaller then don't worry, it is all pretty normal.

Bx

Yes b/fing and yup, had not long fed, well, sort of. 8:30 through till about 9:30 was spend feeding. She woke after trying to move her to her own bed from the main one, so I put her back there and gave her a couple of mouthfuls more to put her to sleep - it was standing up after that, that I had the bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by hoobley View Post
    If you feel otherwise ok (no nausea or fever) and your clot was the size of your palm or smaller then don't worry, it is all pretty normal.
    Yup feel fine, no nausea. Last night I had what DH describes as 'chills'. I was really really cold, shaking uncontrollably. I jumped into a 100 degree shower and the only reason I could even tell the water was warm was because it was stinging my body. I didn't actually feel any heat from it and stood under there shivering. Ended up jumping straight into bed with the electric blanket on where I proceeded to burn up and get all sweaty.

I also woke at 7am to feed noticing I was covered in sweat and the sheets, pillow case and doona cover were damp.

Have felt fine all day since then though.

Clot was about the size of a 50c piece - maybe just a bit bigger. Although size may have been distorted through water, it was certainly no where near the size of my palm...

I was able to ring the hospital for about 4 weeks I think after having the baby. I had a few clots and fresh bleeding the first few days at home, but it wasn't anything to worry about, but I did ring them for some reassurance! If you're concerned, definitely ring, or get yourself off to a hospital. There's no harm in getting checked out.

I think there is a way of massaging your belly too to help reduce bleeding. Perhaps someone else can help with that.

The breastfeeding thing makes sense too.. altho I don't recall mine being related to breastfeeding. *shrug*.

Good luck - I'm sure it's nothing to worry about

i would go and see a gp. the 'chills' is a little alarming. you probably had a fever which is a sign of infection... it might be totally unrelated but i would go get checked out.

paradise lost Guest

In the days and weeks following birth your hormone levels are crazy. Just before birth your progesterone levels will be up around 400mg. Within a few days they drop to normal (about 1-30mg), hence the day 3 or 4 baby blues. That's just ONE of the hormones at work. Prolactin and oxytocin (the BFing hormones) help to regulate you as all the sudden shifts happen so BFing is your friend. In addition you have a lot of extra fluid in your cells (water retention) and a 50% increase in blood volume at the end of PG, and your body has to rid itself of all of this. So you pee alot, you sweat a lot, your liver is busy busy busy.

The combination of the hormone seesaw and the chemical and physical changes can mean you feel a bit all over the place. If you are shivery but have a temperature or feel sick or have a bad headache etc. then have a GP check you out. But th hot and cold flashes, cramps and bleeding after feeds and moderate clotting is all normal stuff and good signs that your body is returning to it's non-pregnant state.

Bx

Quote Originally Posted by hoobley View Post
    But the hot and cold flashes, cramps and bleeding after feeds and moderate clotting is all normal stuff and good signs that your body is returning to it's non-pregnant state.
    Ok, so the cold shivering and the hot sweating last night sound pretty normal then?

I just gave the birth center a call and the midwife there was really helpful. She told me to feel my belly for my uterus, which I couldn't feel and she said that was good - because it's all the way back in then. And there was no tenderness or pain. She's told me to keep an eye on it overnight, if it dies down then stay at home, if it picks back up or I have another clot then to ring her and head on in to the emergency room.

I guess we'll just sit tight for now. How scary though - the first experiences aren't just related to learning how to fold a nappy.

paradise lost Guest

I HEAR you - there were so many things i was unprepared for. Clots. Spraying people 6 or more feet away with milk during letdown. Projectile poo.

Oops, must go, DD is loading all our cuttlery into the washing machine!

Bx

I was told if it was the size of a 50c piece or more to go get checked by your GP. I had a few clots drop and some bright red bleeding. They gave me 10days worth of antibiotics just to make sure I didn't get an infection and said to see if my body expells and clears itself out and if it doesn't then may need a curette. Definately go see your Dr, they'll be able to feel if theres any hard lumps or soreness that may need attending to and may give you some antibiotics just to be on the safe side