Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you do it?

Question Would you do it?

I know, I know, its super early

But - I have a problem - I always wanted Azarias for a boys name, and now DH informs me that he doesn't like it that much anymore, it seems too "long" to scream at them when they are being naughty apparently.

So we do like another name, BUT, its not an English name, and every single person he meets will pronounce it wrong, OR, never be able to spell it correctly.

Would you do that to your child? I know I've sorta done it with the others, but the worst that happens with Aricyn is that people call him Harrison and he usually corrects them himself now... and Mehkelti is just prounounced how its spelt, so thats not that difficult, and Eden is easy peasy (even though sometimes people call her a boy)

So would you give a child a name you both really like and think is awesome, if you know for sure that nobody will be able to pronounce it or spell it?

I would, if I really loved it. I wouldn't do it just to have an unusual name, iykwim, but if I couldn't get it out of my head I would consider it fate that I used it.

I personally wouldn't cause I have seen the frustration some kids go through at school when they have to constantly explain how to say their name, but its a personal decision and people get used to whatever name you decide eventually.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

I wouldn't if it was always going to be spelt or pronounced wrong, could you adapt spelling to make it easier???

Quote Originally Posted by feeb View Post
    I wouldn't if it was always going to be spelt or pronounced wrong, could you adapt spelling to make it easier???
    Ummm... probably but then it would just look silly.

We got it from a kid's show on the ABC, its such an unusual name and we just really like it (and not cos its unusual, cos it seems unusual names is just our type )

I'm dying to know what it is now

all the important ppl in that childs life will learn to say and spell it, we get funny sounds and names for our two kids as for chakotay its said cha ko tay ppl say it as sha ko te or shi ka te or sha co tay or chic kit te, as for josiah and i know u can pronounce that mel ppl say joshuah or jesuah.

as long as the important ppl can say it thats all that matters. I would use it

Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    I'm dying to know what it is now
    Bahahaha!! I think its on ABC2 or something - round lunch time?

Its Yo Yo Gabba isn't it??? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmac View Post
    Its Yo Yo Gabba isn't it??? LOL
    BAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!!! Yeah its Plex..

ROFL

Azarias is great to yell out all angry like i just tried it
    Im dying to know what the other name is too

Oh that one. I love it! I like the spelling too. Won't say it on you though.
    I really do think its a pretty awesome name & would use it.
    Have you tried writing it down different ways to see how it looks?

oooo I think I know what it might be!

ETA: if it's what I think it is...I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by ~clover~ View Post
    Have you tried writing it down different ways to see how it looks?
    Yeah it just looks weird. I mean, I don't mind the traditional spelling - its french-canadian so of course its different.. lol

I mean, we have a scandinavian name for DS....

C-mooooonnnnnnnn just share!!

Personally, Im not sure I would do it if you don't think anyone would ever get it right. I would always get annoyed being called Julie and having to correct people....and that is just 1 letter wrong - It's JuliA people!!

I think I know what it is! And I love it, and think you should definitely use it

I agree spelling it differently would look too clumsy. I reckon it's one of those names the first time you see/hear it you're like wtf but it's not so out there that you will keep forgetting how to pronounce it...if that makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by allycat06 View Post
    I agree spelling it differently would look too clumsy. I reckon it's one of those names the first time you see/hear it you're like wtf but it's not so out there that you will keep forgetting how to pronounce it...if that makes sense?
    Totally!!! I know I was like.. wtf is that name.. and then I listened to the song.. (and it got freakin stuck in my head) and now its like second nature to say it yeah?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast