Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1yo with temp of 39.4

Question 1yo with temp of 39.4

As my title suggests my ds has a temp of 39.4. I have given him a cool bath, panadol/nurofen, taken him to the drs twice, he started vomiting and has a cough. He is not the best at sleeping in, as we are normally up at 5.30am and it is 8.15 and he is still IN BED!! I am starting to stress out a bit here... Need some help..
    Thanks,
    Jenni

I don't have a lot of advice on how to bring the temp down, but the only thing I'd say is call 13 HEALTH and get their advice, or just take him straight to an ER.

Hope your little one is better really soon!!!

When my ds has a temp that high I just go to the ER or to the doctor. Also, our doctor said it's better to give a baby with a temp a warm bath rather than a col one, as the cool water makes their body think it needs to increase it's temp to compensate for the cold surroundings so can make the fever worse.

Seeing as he's vomiting and has had a continued fever, I would be going straight to the er if I were you. Also, have a close check of his body for any signs of any rashes as ds often gets on in conjunction with a fever.

Please go straight to the doctor/ER

do not give a cool bath - this can lead to convulsions (as i learnt in First Aid course)

get a cool facecloth and pat him over while getting to the doctor. (grab a neighbour or someone to come with you if you can to wipe him down with the facecloth while you are travelling there)

if it was my DD i would go to the childrens emergency at the hospital. even though you will probably just sit around waiting for a few hours and then they wont have much to say to you (in my experience DD has always had a virus which is not treatable) at least you will feel like you are doing something, and getting the best help possible.

i agree dont give a cool bath., use a luke warm wash cloth and dab it over his head and neck. continue with panadol or sometimes nurofen can work a little better, put him in a singlet and nappy (but try not to get him overly cool as witht the cold bath it can lead to convulsions) and keep offering water.

if he isnt eating it isnt so much of a problem as if he isnt drinking.

try to relax and not worry if it gets too high, the doctors always tell me that a temp is a good sign because it means his body is fighting the infection.

but yep, i would go and see the hospital.

let us know how it all goes!

oh yeah, i dont recommend 131 health, because all they do is ask a series of many many questions and then say you should go to the doctor. i have called them a couple of times and i feel it is a waste of time.

my dd had a high temp a few weeks ago that resulted in her having a febrile convulsion ( a bit scary). She was vomiting therefore couldn't keep panadol in her systom long enough to work. At the hospital they gave her panadol suppoitories which you can get at the chemist. Is your child still having wet nappies. You need to also be careful of dehydration. Ring your doctor or go to the ER.

Hey ladies thanks for your replies. I havent taken him to the ER yet as i went to the chemist and spoke to them. I have given him some hydrolight, filled his prescription, going to see how he goes for a few hours. I am just going to go to a ECHC and see the nurse there as i think he may have a rash and i dunno if its heat or what will let you know!!

whats his temp now?

Take him to your doctor, my son had a 39.8 degree temperature and it turned out to be tonsillitis, on his first birthday of all days to happen. Best to get him checked out, just to be on the safe side.

I hope this helps:

Body temperature of 36-37C: Normal body temperature of babies and children.

Body temperature of above 37C: Can indicate fever in babies and young children; at this temperature monitoring is required but it is not harmful.

Body temperature of 36-38 C: Normal body temperature of adults.

Body temperature of 39C or above: Indicates fever in babies and children. Requires medical attention.

Body temperature of 40C or above: Indicates fever in adults and children. This temperature can be very dangerous; medical attention is required.

Rashes

Chickenpox: A rash of small blisters is the main symptom. The disease is usually more serious in adults. A doctor should be consulted; itching can be relieved by applying calamine lotion.

Measles: The main symptom is a red mottled-and-blotchy rash. It can occur after immunisation. Call the doctor within 24 hours.

Meningitis: The main warning sign is a non-fading rash consisting of dark red and purple blotches that do not disappear when a glass tumbler is pressed against them. It may also be accompanied by vomiting. Call an ambulance immediately.

Hey Chicky,

You said you got his script filled - is he already sick? The fever could be related to that. Keep in mind that a fever on it's own is nothing to be concerned about as it is the body's way of fighting whatever is happening. Even that high. If it doesn't come down after two consecutive doses of panadol (so that is 8 hours because you have to give it 4 hourly), then seek medical attention. If he is not easily rouasble (easy to wake up), go straight to the hospital. Vomiting is not uncommon with a fever - the body is doing whatever it can to cool down. Keeping hydration up if very important because he will be sweating (and also if he's vomiting) you need to replace what he is excreting. He should still be having wet nappies - if he then he isn't getting enough fluid. If he won't take the hydralight then try diluted cordial or lemonade... anything he will take.
    If he has a rash, consider where it is and what it looks like. Rashes are caused by many things including heat (which can be a fever) but feel free to get it checked out. THe pharmacist would be able to tell you if it is a simple heat rash.
    A tepid bath is a great way to cool him down if he is struggling. Yes, a COLD bath can cause a convulsion if you go from one extreme to the other (if the temp is very high and the water is very very cold, you drop the temp too quickly). A tepid bath is fine. You can pop him infront of a fan but not if he is wet (will cause shivering which will increase the temp).

Anyway, HTH and keep up the good work.

Love MG

In my St Johns Ambulance first aid for kids course we were told not to put them in a bath at all - just to wipe them over with a damp facewasher. Not even in tepid water.

His temp is 39.1 after nurofen. i gave that to him a while ago. before i left for the ECHN. She said if he gets no better by tonight to call an ambo, if he gets worse before then call one anyways. She also said he is teething (which i knew) and said it can cause fever but honestly i dont see it causing this much drama. She said if im not happy with the service in the illawarra than go to randwick childrens hospital.

I have just been wiping him down with a cool washer, not putting him in baths, got all doors and windows open and put the fan on him when he is sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt3n View Post
    In my St Johns Ambulance first aid for kids course we were told not to put them in a bath at all - just to wipe them over with a damp facewasher. Not even in tepid water.

Yeah - I used to teach that course. There is a lot of contradictory advice between First Aid and Health Care professionals. I wouldn't hesitate to pop a child into a tepid bath if they had a fever but you have to do what you're comfortable with.

Jen - you sound really worried hon. Instead of stressing over it, call the dr and make an appointment for this afternoon. If he picks up you can cancel it, otherwise you have an appointment to get him checked. If you leave it until later you might not get an appointment for today. Better to get some peace of mind that stress about it.

Hang in their gorg. I'm off to bed - I'm on nights - YUCK!

MG

Mother Goose is a nurse

Thanks MG I am worried only coz of the hosp stint we did in nov for the same thing. He seems to be stable at the moment, i took him to the drs yesterday and tuesday both with the same outcome and with different drs! So i will keep a close eye on him and see how he goes and if he gets worse i will take him straight to the hospital.

Thanks for your help also Kitten. And to everyone else. Just stressing as i am a stress head mum. (i know its not too bad to stress its every mothers job).

Jenni,
    I hope your DS is feeling better soon. Big hugs to you both... we have all been ill here over the last few weeks, so I know what it is like to be a stressed out mum with ill children.
    All the best

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast