Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help- nappy rash treatments? (over the counter or prescription)

Unhappy Help- nappy rash treatments? (over the counter or prescription)

Hey guys

I know this has probably been discussed a billion times before..sorry.

I feel like such a bad mummy at the moment I just don't know what to do.

I just CANNOT get rid of DD's nappy rash. It's been going on for the past few weeks now, some days I think it's getting better but now It's just not improving at all. I feel horrible. To me it looked like thrush, so I treated it that way. But even after 2 tubes of different thrush treatment it hasn't improved. I also quite like bepanthen, so have tried that but that doesn't help either. We try no nappy, cloth nappy, disp nappy..nothing helps.

So, can anyone tell me about what they have used (that maybe I haven't heard of)? Or has your doctor prescribed anything?..I just think over the counter ones aren't going to cut it anymore.

Thanks

we use daktozin which is behind the counter at the chemist. it has worked fine. otherwise i think you should go and see a GP so they can have a quick look at it, if it isnt going away it could be something else. i am thinking maybe an eczma thing, or maybe it has become infected. but i guess if it has been long lasting it would be a good idea to suss it out a bit more.

Hi there,

I usse paw paw cream, there are two brands the easy access one is avaliable at the chemist for around $10 a tub, i find it fantastic. The tub is red. The oitment coats the rash so there for the wee doesnt go throw it.

I also have used something call fake skin or second skin(sorry cant remeber the correct name, the use it on elderly people who are unable to use bandaids as they dont allow their skin to breath and are harsh. It is hard to find but avaliable at chemist aso. It is basically a second skin that is clear that breaths, no creme is needed under it. But again it stops wee and pooh from being in contact with it.

Hope i have helped

i second the daktozin but have you tried breastmilk yet????

Thanks guys. Yeh, we used Daktozin..I was sure that would work, but it didn't even touch it- so to speak.

Beatrix, maybe I should go have a hunt for the skin thing..thanks

AJP, na haven't tried breast milk! I'm not sure if I could express enough out to cover her little toosh! Worth a try though.

If you google "David Hoskings" you will find the best home-made nappy rash cream ever (IMO!) He is a pharmacist in Keilor Road, Niddrie, Victoria, and does mail order around Australia. His stuff is seriously good and doesn't contain "coal tar" (whatever that is). It works on everything.

Hi Lee. Could it be infected? I'd see a GP. Natty had a rash on her chest and on her bottom for months that nothing would get rid of. (She has pretty sensitive skin anyway, so like you I just kept trying different things.)
    Anyway, she ended up needing a course of antibiotics for something else and it, along with a topical cream cleared up both rashes. The cream we used was called Advanten which we only had to use for about 4 days, and both rashes were completely gone. I'd be careful with this stuff obviously, as who knows what scary magical chemicals are in there! But when you've tried everything, sometimes there's no alternative.
    Personally, I'd go see the doc and see what they have to say. GL with getting rid of it.
    And OMG, you are not a bad mummy at all!!!

Lee- you are a good mummy caring about your darling's bottom. Bad mummies wouldn't worry...
    I have been using Sudocrem and it actually hasn't been working (when it has in the past). I also use olive oil to create that barrier so wee can't get to it. Is the rash a red spotty one near the top of her genitals? Only asking as my DD has the same and it won't go away either.

bepanthem (sp?) has worked wonders for me always and also good for insect bites too!

Jen

~Belinda~ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ~Beatrix~ View Post
    Hi there,

I usse paw paw cream, there are two brands the easy access one is avaliable at the chemist for around $10 a tub, i find it fantastic. The tub is red. The oitment coats the rash so there for the wee doesnt go throw it.
    Never thought of that, I have a tube here. I have been using Bepanthen lately, my DD has been doing 4 poo's per day and her bott bott is so red! Might do the paw paw thing, thanks for the tip!!!!!

Just a note- Lucas Paw Paw (in the red tube/tub) is actually pawpaw extract in a Vaseline/petroleum jelly base. The other brand (and I can't remember the name) doesn't have the petroleum base and is just pawpaw. Interesting....

My DD had a nasty case of nappy rash and two days of consistent applications of COVITAL (you can get it from selected pharmacies - behind the counter) and it was gone. For extra protection, I used Curash powder over the Covital but only at night (and I never use powder!). The Covital stinks like fish (it has cod liver oil in it) but it works a treat. My mum worked at a pharmaceutical company and she assures me its the best nappy rash cream on the market.

THere is also a zinc and castor oil cream (Herron brand) that ive heard does wonders.

BOL hope her little bottom clears up soon

Lisa

I swear by Penaten for nappy rash. Earlier in the year we had baaaaaaaaaaaaadddddd nappy rash and it was the only thing that worked.

Hi hun!

Baxter has just completed a course of antibiotics for a UTI and this gave him diarrhea, poor little mite had a very red bottom and Nappy Mate Paste cleared it up in a couple of days. Active ingredient is zinc oxide (I think) which the paed at Attadale thought was most suitable.

Hope her botty clears up soon.

HTH!

xx

Thanks mummies Definitely given me some ideas..I was at a bit of a loss as to what to do next

Hey Diedre, she has some faint spots there but the main part of the rash is between her cute little bottom cheeks, so sounds a little different to Catherine's.

Hey Janie what's in Penaten?

Shoegal, aww poor little Baxter (Give him a little smooch from us btw)..Glad it's all cleared up now though. I have heard that nappy mate is good, we give that to parents at our work.

Hi Lisa, that Covital sounds very interesting. I'd like to try that. I have never heard of that.

Snacks, you know I think it could well be infected.. (oh the mummy guilt! ) Maybe it is like an impetigo infection or something, as it is slightly weepy at times. Gee I hope she doesn't need abs.

Hmm, anyway, thanks guys. Will go to the pharmacy 2moro.

I'm not sure what's in it hun, by the time we got to using it I was so depserate I didn't care DS rash was really bad, I hate to admit how bad it was Let's just say that he still has faint scarring from that episode , but has two shiny white teeth up the top to show for it! Like you, I tried everything, and nothing else worked. I rang my MCHN for suggestions, and she was helpful, but none of them worked. If the Penaten hadn't helped we would have been off to the Dr. I went to the chemist as a last ditch effort, and this really old pharmacist put me onto it.......I left thinking I'd been conned again, that it was some old-as-the-hills product that would do no good........but lo and behold it did the trick, and I use it now everytime DS's bum gets the tiniest bit red, lest it become as bad as it did previously.

That's my two cents worth If you would like to try it and have trouble finding some, I'm happy to pick a tub up and post it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Deirdre View Post
    Is the rash a red spotty one near the top of her genitals? Only asking as my DD has the same and it won't go away either.
    Do you think that could be thrush, Deirdre? I was told thrush can appear as a 'spotty', pimple-like rash. You can get it checked out and use an anti-fungal cream to get rid of that one. HTH a little...

ETA: Lee, pleeeeeease don't feel guilty We have levels of these bacteria on our skin aaaaaall the time, and every now and again, being the oportunists that they are, they break through our protective mechanisms and set up shop. It doesn't have anything to do with how clean or dirty we are - we just co-exist with these little buggers regardless. And hey, it may not be infected anyway. But particularly if it is a little weepy, it can't hurt to have someone look at it. (?)

And to the person who posted about poo-burn, I swear by the Herron Zinc & castor oil cream that someone else mentioned. Just make sure the bottom is dry and apply it EVERY nappy change and change nappy often - this is what we do when Natty goes on a poo spree. Honestly, some days that child will produce one at every nappy change! Like, every couple of hours! And they are done in total secret, lol. On those days I try to change her every couple of hours.

Thank you for the thread Lee. I need this thread topic right now too, and you are not a bad mummy.
    Steph is teething at the moment, and her poos are really feral and acidy, she is just so red! I was using some eczema cream for a day or two, as well as bepanthen, but have now switched over to just putting on slatherings of sorbolene (sp?). It seems to be helping a bit, last night she was jsut screaming in absolute agony. If it isn't any better later, I'll try something from this thread.
    Good luck, to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast