Thread: Help with seperation anxiety

Default Help with seperation anxiety

I am attempting to go do aerobics 1 night a week. DH looks after DD (4mths) while I'm away, which is about 2 hours. I have only done this twice but both times has resulted in DD crying for all of the time I'm away. As soon as I return she stops crying. Do you have any suggestions for helping this situation. Last night DH even tried bathing her (which he always does) but that relieve the situation like we thought it would.

My thought at this stage is that each night I will leave the house for a short period of time, leaving DH with DD and build up the length of time I'm away.
    I also think a bit has to do with the fact whenever she is upset I will settle her, which I think I should let DH do this instead of me so she gets use to DH settling her. It's always just so much easier if I settle her.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Hi there, I just saw this.
    It sounds as though you are doing all the right things, getting your DH involved, and the short trips away sound like a good idea to me.
    Is it definitely seperation anxiety (does it happen if you do anywhere during the day, or just at night).

I have this with DS. And we just tough it out. But he's getting a lot better now, almost an hour with DH! Sorry, not that helpful.

Have you tried your DH wearing your old top/breastpads so he smells of you? Or when you are all together your DH being more actively involved? your DH can take your DD out for a walk, that calms DS down really well.

HTH

Thanks for your replies. We have worked out the significant problem was DH trying to feed her with EBM. She refused to drink from the bottle (even though she had previously done this without a problem). So each night DH is feeding her EBM. Things are getting much better. She is now happy to drink EBM from DH. And seperately happy to be with DH alone for 45mins. We will shortly try the combination of alone time with feeding. But things are certainly improving.

Great news, Bridee. I was going to suggest that your DH use one of your T shirts you've worn to wrap her, but sounds like she's comfortable with him now anyway! Enjoy your alone-time! (I'm a bit jealous, actually )