Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to make a 2yr old wear shoes??

Default how to make a 2yr old wear shoes??

and a hat?

I suppose we have left Jacob to get away with this for too long but it was easier then fighting!

This morning we went walking and I didn't feel like digging out the twin pram so I got Jacob to walk. I told him he needed to wear shoes and actually managed to get them on only to have him scream and take them off while I was taking bub downstairs..

So I put them back on and he screamed and yelled and carried on for 2-3 blocks before I finally yanked his shoes off and made him walk. of course he was happy and toddled along beside me quite happily..

he also won't wear a hat. We have tried and tried but he just yanks it off. now the funny part about all this is that he wears shoes and hats inside the house when playing games.

things we have tried

1, buying him a special pair of shoes. he screamed the shop down while trying them on

2. buying a special hat which is now lost

3. Buying him some special socks which have never been worn

4. Bribery, you can have a milky way....

So I am lost.. help???

Maybe try some of the soft-soled leather slippers that are OK for light outdoor use? I've had robeez for all my girls, and loved them. They might be a good "in-between" sort of thing to ease him into wearing the dreaded shoes! I can imagine that after running around free and bare for as long as he can remember, shoes feel pretty lousy. Robeez are really soft and flexible, but offer a little more protection than just socks! (you can get them on e-bay.)
    Otherwise, I've seen here shoes called "Little Squeaky Feet." They are shoes for little one that have a squeaker in the heel, which kids get a kick out of, and it teaches them to walk properly (rolling from heel to toe.) The squeaker is removeable for when he is used to the shoes, or when it is driving you crazy. They are also fairly soft and flexible, but definitely a shoe, not a slipper.
    One other thing he might like is the shoes that have the little flashing light in the heel that light up when you take a step. I'm assuming they sell those in Australia - they're all over here. That might be enough of a thrill/distraction that he'll keep them on.
    As far as the hat goes, I have no help. Sorry. My kids won't wear theirs either.

i don't think he would wear Robeez as he won't even wear socks!!

We own a pair of flashing shoes.. but they were a no go..

I am so frustrated by it.. but I wonder if I should just leave it till I can reason with him a bit more

Seth isn't 2 yet and he can be reasoned with. I would simply state that if he can't wear shoes we can't go for a walk and if he had a spack attack I'd calmly say "Ok well we have to go home if you can't wear your shoes, because your shoes will protect your feet." Then if he still was upset I'd turn around and go home. And I'd do this a few over a week (maybe even daily) and I'm telling you he will get the idea, and he will be fine with shoes. Its a matter of safety so its ok to set boundaries. If he were to cut his foot on some glass or get stung by a bee or something he would be even more upset.

Nic - let him go barefoot. If the path or whatever gets too hot, that might be incentive for him to put some shoes on. Barefoot is so much better, and important, for the development of the feet anyway.

btw.. walking heel to toe is the wrong way of walking. Here is some interesting reading that I posted a while ago http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=50209

As for hat.. can't help with that one, Tallon is pretty good with his hat, and actually asks for it if he's going to play outside lol. It doesn't always stay on the entire time, but I must admit he's pretty good with it.

Niliac: while I would like to try thsat idea of going home if he doesn't wear shoes I can't as I have the other kids to deal with.. He is almost the most stubborn child you will meet... But I might give it a go when Dh is out walking with us..

Liz: We always let him go barefoot. I just thought it was time to make him start. We rarely bring the subject up. If we are going somewhere like the markets or something we give a choice.. shoes or stroller and well he always chooses the stroller and when he whines to get out we remind him he needs shoes and quickly shuush's. I do know going without shoes is better thats why I don't force the issue. The other boys were so easy.. They wore shoes when we went out and we all take them off as soon as we get to the car.. I guess it is hard for him when we don't like wearing shoes either.. Both DH and i only wear them cus we need to rather then want to. heck sometimes we duck into the shops with no shoes ( I live in a beach town, girls shops in bikini tops I can shop barefoot)

anyways i will keep asking him and perservering for when we go walking but i won't worry at the shops ect. Is certainly going to make winter fun.. We bought him an all in one for last winter even though he looked ridiculous lol.. He simply won't wear socks. good thing we don't get cold here hey

Keep the suggesstions coming though guys. I will try each of them and see how we go

"btw.. walking heel to toe is the wrong way of walking. "

Heel to toe is wrong? How then?

Tell hIm he can't, or isn't allowed to??

I know Cricket, I thought it was wierd too LOL. it's only slightly heel to toe, it should be almost the whole foot touching the ground at once, so that the foot can adjust to what it is walking on. Look at how kids who go bare foot a lot walk on their feet. They don't strike the ground with their heel. That was only brought about by the stiff soled shoes that we wear, and is also the cause of a lot of injuries in the feet.

Lulu - reverse psychology! I like it! hehehe.

We had the same problems, until I got ds a pair of those rubbery sandals everyone raves about atm. I got them from Pumpkin Patch and ds loves them. he wears them round the house!!

With a hat, we let him choose his own at the shop (he chose a Wiggles cap) and because he chose it he likes wearing it.

Have you tried to give him the choice between two pairs of shoes. ie " you have to wear shoes.. which pair do you want". He feels like he has had some choice and when he cracks it you can tell him he chose them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu2 View Post
    Tell hIm he can't, or isn't allowed to??
    yup try that with just about everything with him i tell ya he is stubborn

Quote Originally Posted by dee73 View Post
    We had the same problems, until I got ds a pair of those rubbery sandals everyone raves about atm. I got them from Pumpkin Patch and ds loves them. he wears them round the house!!

With a hat, we let him choose his own at the shop (he chose a Wiggles cap) and because he chose it he likes wearing it.
    he won't even look at a hat.. I have tried this too,,

Quote Originally Posted by indie24 View Post
    Have you tried to give him the choice between two pairs of shoes. ie " you have to wear shoes.. which pair do you want". He feels like he has had some choice and when he cracks it you can tell him he chose them.
    Yup done this too I might try this one again though.. It seems to work with his clothes when he starts having issues about what clothes I pick for him.. mainly Pj's. odd odd child

Just a word of warning... please don't let him go bare foot.

My DS is 20 months and a few months ago walked bare foot on pavers. They were hot, extremely hot. So hot they burnt and blistered his poor little feet and he had to have them dressed and bandaged for days. He barely stepped on them as well...

I find even at 20 months my DS understands options. I always give him pre warning for things. Ie if you're going for a walk say so half an hour before "We're going for a walk and you need to wear your shoes." Give him the choice like someone else suggested and ease him into the idea slowly rather then pouncing it on him IYKWIM. If he says no then like Cailin suggested, don't go for the walk. He will understand and he will put them on.

Do the same with the hat. Does he like any particular show? Could you get a Thomas hat or a Wiggles hat he might like? Do you wear a hat when you're out as well? Can you put your hats on together?

Good luck with it. I hope you find the solution soon.

I don't let him walk on the path when he won't wear his shoes he has to walk on the grass.. and if it is to hot I simply carry him..

Tomorrow well today now ( awake baby) I am going to remind him we are walking today and he needs his shoes on or he won't be able to come. Unfortunatly today that is an empty threat as he has to come with me but I hope it works.. And ry as I might he doesn't like tv lol. He follows his older brothers and likes what they like. He loves Moss ( thomas) but won't wear the hat or shoes lol. I will let you all know how I go when we get ready this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by aussienic View Post
    Unfortunately today that is an empty threat as he has to come with me but I hope it works...
    I wouldn't say it then, if you can't follow through. He has to have consistency and know that you mean what you say.

If he has to come with you today, try another tack rather than the threat of him not coming. (he gets something he likes if he wears them, or he has to sit in stroller if he doesn't)

Good luck,

Kate

Well I tried the come on lets pick out some shoes for you to wear today and he ran away from me. It was abit hard to be forceful today trying to get 4 kids and myself ready to get out of the house before 5 to 8. so I tried to put shoes on and said fine go without and we went. He stood in *****les within 5 mins and I made him hold my hand while he walked which he didn't like. and on the way home he asked to wear his brothers shoes ( he wasn't wearing any at the time) So I quickly got them out and put them on but they were just slip on sandal things and he couldn't walk in them but the point is he asked. So Tomorrow I will have a pair of shoes for him... I forgot to put his back in the pram this morning.. doh!!

my 13mth old wont wear at hat whichwill make it hard @ playgroup..

its hard making them put anything on lol

My DD was the same from 10 months, SCREAMED and cried until she got the shoes off. Socks were as much as a problem as shoes. This eventually turned into a clothes thing too.
    For almost 5 years I treated it as a tantrum and yelled and smacked her when she wouldn't get dressed or leave clothes on or wear certain shoes and socks. She would cry and say it hurts it hurts it hurts. I said there is no way in hell it can hurt you, its a sock.
    Well, finally at the age of 5 DD was diagnosed with Sensory Processing disorder - Tactile defensivness.
    Basically, the feeling of certain things on her skin/feet etc actually sent her nervious system through the roof to the point she really couldn't tolerate the feel or sensation. With her it was partically socks, anything with lace, ribbon, 3/4 pants, frills etc and the biggest one was denim. She also hated hats, head bands, clips etc
    She has gotten better with age, but at 6 its still almost impossible to get her to wear denim. In rare cases, there is more to it than just kids not wanting to wear shoes and socks. She is fine with shoes and socks now but she has to try them all on and find ones that 'feel right' to her.
    PM me or email me if you want to know anything else about it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast