Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: They are concerned about my 3 yo development

you've basically just described my dd who's almost four.
    her speech when she turned 3 was shocking but in the space of a year has improved dramatically, all on her own.
    she can count to ten but only when she chooses but struggles with, how many apples are there? IYKWIM
    she also doesnt really know colours or her abc's.
    we read to her every night and let her point things out ect, but she goes though phases of only wanting to read one book.
    my CC hasnt said anything about her to me and to be honest im not all that worried, kids develop differently .

This place ROCKS! Terrific support and great advice from everyone

The only thing I wanted to add was that ONE person/opinion/whatever isn't the be all and end all -but you know that. It's just the amount of different things I have been told over the years with my little dude and so much of it was wrong/over analysed...

My gut was always right though and I know your is.

My DS refuses to write and won't pick up a pencil (oooh - bad!!) even though he is six. I don't mind too much, he knows how to wire a lightbulb, how hydraulics work, can pick various instruments out of an orchestra and is starting to pick up phrases in French. So pfft to the world.

Argh, I just did a big post and lost it.

A stranger left a book called Reading Magic by Mem Fox on my desk 18mths ago. I am grateful to that stranger. DD's reading / recognition skils are now amazing. In one month she could point and say the names of 11 different animals on the last page of the 'Brown Bear Brown Bear What do you See?' book - whereas previously she didn't say or be able to recognise any.

I have always been concerned due to her prem factor that she was 'behind' (behind what or who I don't know lol).....So I took on Mem's advice, one familiar, one unfamilar and one favourite book - I (or DH) read each and every day.

FWIW - you are doing a great job Mumma!

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu View Post
    This place ROCKS! Terrific support and great advice from everyone
    Lulu I couldn't have said it any better myself - I just can't thank anyone enough!!!

I spoke to my health nurse this morning and she is fantastic!! She was really curious as to what testing they were using etc etc but was more than happy to assess DD for me. She used the 3 1/2 year old screen but it can be scored for a 3 year old. A pass is anything over 52 and DD scored 70. She did do poorly on her speech aspects such as what is your name, age, surname and saying 6 and 8 syambol sentences. She would shorten it to 4. So I have a speechie referral for DD to get her assessed so we make sure there isn't a reason her speech is slower. And then we'll see if she needs some one on one, group work or activities that DH and I can do with her. So it's just a waiting game until her assessment. But the health nurse gave us some pointers on where to start with her speech and counting so we can start helping her. I'm feeling much better today especially after the amazing support from everyone!!!

sounds like you have an awesome health nurse. so glad she was able to provide reassurance & some help

That's great Liviam - your nurse sounds like a good 'un.
    I was recently shocked at what I heard is apparently expected of pre-primary kids these days - counting, alphabet, etc...!!!
    I'm with you - let's let them be kids! If you talk with them, interact, read (all those thigns you do naturally) then you're doing your job.

So glad you are feeling better hun, your MCHN sounds like a gem. Hopefully the referral will set your mind even more at ease. xoxo

I have only just seen this but all of the posts above are very helpful.

I think it is wise to follow up by booking her into se a speech therapist but only for your peace of mind. It wont hurt her and then if she needs help you can get it, but if not, you can bereassured that she is fine.

I am a primary school teacher. In all fairness I have never taught preschool but did teach kindy for 3 years. I second MrsMac that quite a few children do come to school not knowing the things CC mentioned to you. In kindy, they learn about the colours, counting, numbers, shapes, size, measurement. All of those things are outcomes for the END of their first year of formal school kindergarten (5 and 6yr olds). So she has plenty of time to learn them.

I also recently got DD's report from CC. I actually found it really weird that they would be giving a 15mth old a report but can see that the concept of it is to inform parents of different things their child is achieiving or they are working with them to achieve. I thnk some of it is to cover their backs TBH so that if a parent were to come back and say my child has a speech problem or something else, they can say well we informed you IYKWIM. We do the same thing at primary school. Some things in the report I thought were ridiculous. If I wasnt so chilled out about DD's development I probably would have gone into a massive panic as I can imagine many parents would instead I jsut had to read between the lines so to speak.

An example of one of DD's (16mths) current goals for gross motor is to refine her balance skills eg. walk unassisted on a balance beam WTF! I know she can balance but they aim high at CC dont they!

Another for cognitive & thinking skills was to complete a 6 piece knob puzzle! I'd be lucky if she didnt eat the pieces (as everything is still going int he mouth) and if she doesnt eat the puzzle, then my dogs probably would (they like chewing up her toys).

They were the main ones that stood out, but reading between the lines, I see they are just aiming high and Ido like that they expose her to all this stuff but also know that she willd evelop it all in her own time. You are so right that they are still so young and should have the opportunity to be little.

My last bit of advice is to just keep playing with her. So much is learnt throguh play.

You are doing a great job

ETA- Missed the last page of updates. Awesome MCHN!!! Glad you are feeling so much better
    Last edited by AliBaby; July 9th, 2010 at 03:12 PM. Reason: typos & adding more

That's fantastic that you have a plan and are feeling better! Good on your little missy for scoring so highly on that test too!

Sue x

That's fantastic Dan! What a great MCHN

Quote Originally Posted by marcellus View Post
    If you talk with them, interact, read (all those thigns you do naturally) then you're doing your job.
    I totally agree! It sounds like you are doing an amazing job in helping your DD develop into a confident child by giving her time and affection when she needs it, and just being with her!

In regards to what is expected of pre-schoolers, I sometimes wonder if some mums get a tad too competitive and this is driving force (can't believe cc are giving reports)! I know a few who like to boast at what their child is up to constantly whereas I rarely mention something (unless I'm really proud of her!). One mum, the first thing she says when I see/talk to her is "oh X is doing this now, is A?" She even compared how much bigger her son was than DS, forgetting that he's 4months older!

So much of their learning is incidental at this age - it shouldn't be a formal thing, plenty of time for that later. Its great that you are getting that referral but def don't stress about it. Maybe just keep an eye on it for now, and if she's still having problems when she starts school, then act on it (its so much better and quicker to deal with it in year 1/2, rather than as they get older) but otherwise, keep doing what you're doing.

Hey, I am just jumping on quickly at work. I read your original post yesterday and it's been bugging me ever since. I just can't believe the childcare centre made you feel like you were reading to your baby THE WRONG WAY! There is no wrong way.

I haven't read all the replies but for what it's worth - my two cents -- if there is some kind of delay it probably is best to catch it early. If there is a delay, don't despair! My cousin was diagnosed as developmentally delayed when he was about 8. He had to repeat a year of school but by the time he hit high school he was up with his peers and now's he's at university studying economics.

Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12