Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 3 things you didn't need for baby

Yep - couldn't live without our change table or monitor!!!
    I agree with booties and mittens - NEVER used them. The millions of powders and oils/creams...only need 1-2 max of each - i have plenty still left untouched after 1 yr. Stuffed toys - ok a couple of nice ones look lovely on display -but have absolutely no use to a baby - not stimulating (sorry - i studied early childhood and am an advocate for developmental/educational toys...not just pretty ones).

Gosh, I found some of those things completely useful!! Baby monitor definitely, since she slept in another room (no space in ours), swing is great (when tiny she slept in it at other ppl's places and now gives her somewhere to play without me needing to be watching her when I'm doing the dishes, etc), I use the change table on top of our drawers every change (better for my back than bending over) and the baby bath is only just about to be retired (sits on the kitchen bench for bathing, right height for DP).

The things I didn't need were:
    1. newborn clothes that were too summery (even though she was born in March it got cold way more quickly than I thought it would).
    2. stuffed toys (how many can a tiny baby use? None!)
    3. some of the parenting books I was loaned (OMG I can't believe what some ppl 'recommend' for a baby!)
    4. same as the other girls - lots of the nappy cream lotions and powder (that I got given or as samples). I got pawpaw ointment and sorbolene and she hasn't had nappy rash once.

Oh Gigi, I got a nappy bag that's a backpack and pretty plain (doesn't even look like a nappy bag) and I love that. It means I can have her in the HAB and the backpack on and I'm totally hands free! It's also pretty small, you don't really need to take that much out with you. Most of the stuff that's in mine (and I was pretty conservative) I haven't used yet! Enough room for a few nappies, change mat (included in the bag), wipes, a spare change of clothes, a spare washer (just in case) and cloth nappy for spews. That's about all I've used so far, even though I haven't taken anything else out! Oh, and I kept spare nursing pads in at the start when I leaked constantly.

NewmumLou Guest

Wow i cant believe some dont like the baby monitor.... i use mine all the time!
    1) BOTTLE WARMER this cost me $70 and i havent used it more than once, it takes to long.
    2) BABY BATH i only used this for the first few washes at home
    3) JOHNSON AND JOHNSON cremes and washes: they dried out Joshs skin!

We didn't actually have to buy much, fortunately. Just a nappy bag, stroller, monitor, mat, bath, Hugabub and some clothes. We use all of those things and they were perfect for our situation. There really isn't anything I thought that was a waste of money. I waited till after he was born to get anything else I needed so if I'm ever asked what is and isn't necessary, that's the only advice I give.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer13
    The things I didn't need were:
    2. stuffed toys (how many can a tiny baby use? None!)
    I was forewarned of this so made it very clear to all friends and family that we didn't need any thankyou. Of course still got a couple, but that was alright.

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

i am dreading all the fluffy toys - we're trying to creat a low allergy home but i suspect the people around us (who don't visit so don't know, or don't listen) will still buy our baby fluffy toys. I also don't want her chewing on them plus we simply don't have the space.

Can't think of a way to tell people this without upsetting them.

Fee Guest

1. Baby powder and most creams/lotions don't need them

2. Bedding sets we just use a bottom sheet and then a blanket

3. Avent Breastfeeding Essentials kit (sterliser, pump, bottles etc) I've just returned it no need as I don't have the urge to be away from Cooper. I'm happy with just BF-ing. Initially I thought I would have DH feed Cooper EBM but now that Cooper is here, I see that I don't want to do this.

PS. I love our baby monitor and change table! Also we have a baby bath and bouncer but these were gifts.

Geniebean Guest

1. Angelcare Baby Monitor - didn't use monitor or sensor pads EVER
    2. Swing - you know one of those chair swings that works on batteries? She HATES it!
    3. Baby powder

As for everything else - I love it all...including change table.

Jodie259 Guest

gosh... most things you girls hate - I couldn't live without. I've only got a 1 story home, but I love our monitor. I even bought a 2nd one! Then when DS is asleep, I can hear him wake when we are in the living room watching loud TV. And like one other... I have slept through his crying because I am so sleep deprived!
    Most things I've bought (mostly on eBay) have been terrrific...
    I've put some thought into things that I don't like/use/want:
    1. High chair that doesn't fold flat (bought one on eBay & sold it.)
    2. Hats. I have so many baby hats - and my DS hates them.
    3. ditto for mittens & booties.
    4. blankets & wraps that are too small. DS hated being wrapped, but when I did wrap him, I needed big ones to really tuck him in. He just wriggled out of the little ones.
    5. basinette linen. I used the basinette for 12 weeks which was a godsend.. but really didn't need much linen for it.

edit: just remembered the most useless thing I got - three of them actually!!!
    BREAST PUMPS. I bought one before I gave birth (so I had it ready). Then we realised in the hospital that I wasn't producing milk, so he went onto formula. But I hired an electric pump from the hospital ($10 a week) - (can also be hired from lactation clinics). Then I really tried to produce milk, so I bought two more pumps - as each of the manual pumps were uncomfortable. I barely got any use out of any of them. I would hire one first. And if you really needed to pump then either buy an electric one or a really good manual one.

This thread is awesome girls! So good to hear the good and the bad

Meant to mention that the change table we bought is in fact a wooden chest of draws that goes with her cot, with sides on the top - so we bought a thick foam change mat to go on it. That way i didn't have to take up anymore space in Ella's room and it's got great storage :top draw has her creams, powders, wipes...and the other 3 draws have her clothes. We hang the nappies on the side. It's great - and we'll be able to use it forever.

I also agree with not using baby hats and the baby dresses.

We have the same kind of thing, Rae, a chest of drawers and the change table mat goes on top. Figured when we no longer need the change mat we can put a nice mirror on a stand on it and it'll make a great dresser for her. It also matches the cot (which turns into a junior bed) and toy box and bookcase. We also have the nappies hanging in a hanger thingy beside it!

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

I never used:

The portacot - My sister gave hers to me coz she never used it with her DD, and I've never even got it out of my store room.

The Angelcare monitor - I thought I'd be a paranoid mum but coz Charlie slept next to me in his cradle, I didn't feel like I needed it. Once he moved to his own room, I could hear his every breath through the video monitor, so didn't use it then either. I sold it without ever opening it.

The baby hairbrush/baby soap and shampoo set (Lol!) Charlie just doesn't have enough hair to warrant a brush, and he's allergic to the soap and shampoo.

And I have one more!

The MILLIONS of wraps I bought for him. He hated being wrapped and I think I used 3 before I gave up. I have half a drawer full of them!

believe it or not my bassinet! my boys both outgrew theirs within a month so i just put them down the bottom of the cot. booties- these just got kicked off all the time and last would be nappy stacker. iw ent straight to disposables after a few days and put these on a shelf on the change table.

my wastes of money were -
    baby bath (hurt my back bending over)
    buying baby slings and carriers (kids hated them, Anneliese will only settle in the HAB)
    rocking chair in nursery.

but i loved
    my angelcare monitor - Anneliese had apnoea, so it was a lifesaver (literally)
    change table - got mine from the 2nd hand markets for $5 and love it - had itfor 3 children now!
    portacot - mostly used so i can give anneliese tummy time without the boys annoying her all the time
    cot blankets - although we didnt use them when the kids were smaller, as they get bigger they come in handy (Anneliese is 7.5 months and the weather has cooled down alot lately so i've put one on her bed.

OMG Simone - I couldn't live without my rocking chair in his room! LOL. Funny how everyone does things differently!

my wasters :

all the bed linen/wraps I never used - Flynn wasn't a chucker so didn't go through many
    baby swing - present from mum but Flynn was a settled bub so rarely used it
    all the changes of clothes - once again, Flynn wasn't a chucker so he wasn't changed much as a wee one

BUT ALL THAT SAID - my next two might be screaming hucking spewing machines so all these things are safely packed away. You just never know who is lurking under the next cabbage leaf....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast