Thread: Tummy bug - when to worry?

Default Tummy bug - when to worry?

You'd think I'd know by know, but this is the first time we've had this. Tom (18 months) vomitted yesterday morning but was then fine all day. Then he vomitted twice this morning, is totally off his food (ie hasn't eaten anything and he is usually a very big eater) and seems to have a sore tummy, be out of sorts and have a slight temp. He seems to be keeping enough bm and water down to not be dehydrated. Should I be worried?

I wouldn't worry yet Melanie just keep an eye on him for dehydration (dry eyes, mouth, lips/skin etc, no wee or dark wee).
    It sounds like he's coping with it as well as can be expected poor little man.

It's going around at the moment, when I dropped Emily at kindy this morning they had the big "We Have Gastro" sign at the front door My boss has had it, and I've been feeling a bit off in the tummy for about 24 hours too.

Hope he's feeling better tomorrow.

Yep, it certainly is going around. My DD#1 has had a temperature since midnight on saturday - it reached 40 at one stage. Shes on antibiotics now....
    Keep up the fluids, not having an appetite is quite normal, more important that they are drinking, even little sips every 20 mins or so. Ensure you lil one has a restful few days, and keep checking temp.

has he had a 'runny bottom.'
    My GP said the runs with or without vomiting is very often gastro, but vomiting without the runs is not and should be followed up earlier.

Thanks for the info girls. If he's no better in the morning I think we might see a doctor just to be sure! I wonder if he's predisposed - I had vomitting without the runs several times while pg with him - including for 4 days up until his birth!!