Thread: Natural remedies for coughing?

Question Natural remedies for coughing?

Hi all, my DS has got a really bad cough, was coughing his little lungs out last night, and has been this morning (I can hear him from his bedroom). It is interrupting his sleep (and believe me, he doesn't get enough!!). I know honey and lemon is good for adults, but what can I use to make his cough a little better? I really didn't want to go and get more drugs for him, he's just come off antibiotics for an ear infection (I think the cough is related cos I've got the same thing after having an ear infection - which he gave to me). So since we've just suffered through giving him that medicine, I am hesitant to give him more. Does anyone have any suggestions on natural things that I can use for him? He's almost 1.
    TIA!!!

I use Onion Syrup. It works well, and no heavy pharmaceuticals.

You layer onions with honey over and over again in a jar till it's full press it down and leave it covered for a few hours in a dark cupboard.

Feed them a spoonful as needed.

You can google onion syrup and you should be right.

Can they have honey under the age of 2? I was under the impression that they couldn't?

I've not heard of that one, maybe if there are allergies the family (which in fact we do!)?

i am sure i seen something in brauers range for coughs.

Yeah, I've heard no honey under 2.. something to do with bacteria in the honey. The onion & honey thing tho... blerk! (sorry! LOL) What does it taste like??

I just looked up Brauers.. it's not for under 2's.

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions. Perhaps a steam/vapouriser type thing might help? I would just ask a pharmacist. There must be some kind of cough mixture for bubs under 2.. even if you only use it for 1 night..sometimes getting that extra sleep can help get on top of it.

Hope your little man feels better soon!

Thanks Liz. We went down to the chemist last night (after suffering the night before with hardly any sleep). They couldn't give us any cough medication - all to do with SIDS, they don't actually make any decongestant for under 2's. The suggested a vaporiser thing so my DH is picking one up today. We lasted 3 hours last night before the screaming started!!!! We are using demazin, panadol any eucy bear rub at the moment to try and break it up off his chest a little.. don't know how successful we are cos he is wayyyy grumpy and cranky and whingy today!!!!!! Doing my head in I tell ya!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post

I just looked up Brauers.. it's not for under 2's.
    Thanks Liz for checking that one - i knew some of them are not to be used for under 2's, but can never remember which ones.

It makes it so hard when they are sick, as we are limited in what we can use.

Actually Liz, Belle said you can hardly taste the onion, and picky little ds takes it, so it must be ok!

You use rather large amounts of honey, maybe the sweetness overrides anything else?
    Onion, garlic and horseradish can help enormously with a cough.