Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: c sections and the posibilities for a natural birth after?

Mustang Guest

Default c sections and the posibilities for a natural birth after?

Hi there, (i posted this thread just before but in the wrong section)

I had to have an emergancey C section last year. I had dilated to ten centimentresand after three hours but wasnt comming down the canal. We are pretty sure it was because my babies cord was wrapped around his neck (thats what my finace heard during the operation) and maybe thats why he couldnt come down cause he was yo yoing each time i pushed.

I really wanted to have natural but i couldnt and wondered if other ladies out there if they had a c section with their first but then went on to having natural fine with the next?

Also if what my chances are with having natural with my next child after the c section. Is there anything i can do or try to improve my chances of having it natural next time? Or will i might have to just have c sections with the others when i choose to have them.

if people know anything or have experiences please, im very intersted to hear them!!

Thanks very much

This section is just for birth stories, so I will move this to labour and birth

Love

Mustang Guest

lol, this is the second time ive done this....hehehehehehehe...i must of left my brains in the labour ward!

Hi Mustang!

I too had a C/S last time, but am going for a natural birth this time. It is definitely possible!! There are some great stories on here from others who have had successful VBACs (vaginal birth after casearian section).

Depending on your OB & hospital, there are restrictions though. My OB (& most I think) won't induce, so if you go way over, it's straight to theatre. They also like to monitor the baby very closely.

My advice is to find an OB who is very supportive of VBACs, read & educate yourself as much as you possibly can, and look into getting a doula or other support person there for the labour.

All the best!!!!

I had an emergency ceasers with Mackenzie after pushing and forceps the whole nine yards! This time around my obs has said that the chance of me having a natural birth would be less then 15% due to the reasons she would budge! I'm no obs but my guess is it depends on why you couldn't deliver naturally previously. Sorry I can't shed any light.

Mustang Guest

I was just so scared when i had to have one and didnt want one so bad that i cried. They said it was a possibility, when i had only dilated to 3 cm and they wanted me to be at 5 cm....but then in 2 hours i jumped to the whole 10. The midwives that took over the shift (my one that was there most of labour was good) were no real help, they talked about their weekend and what they were up to when i was asking for help!!!!!... besides they used the drip to induce me and they had to up it so much that when i got into an estabished labour nobody turned it back down and my uterus was contracting for nearly two minutes, it wasnt relaxing and crushing Eamon.. then i when they realised three hours had passed then they decidied to get a doc, he tried the vaccum but it didnt work... i was so scared, for the both of us!

so when i get pregnant again all i will think about is how scared and hard it was the first time and the possibilty of having another c section...

Mustang, I had a c/sec with my first & 2 VBACs after that...both totally natural birth centre deliveries. You must have caregivers that support VBAC. What is your hospital's policy? Linda's advice above is perfect. Find out policies, have supportive people. I can tell you more later, need to feed the baby now!

There should be no reason why you couldn't attempt a VBAC. I would actually suggest that you ditch the OB and try and find a midwifery program that you can support for VBAC. Or if you choose to go with an OB, also hire a doula to support you in your journey to a natural birth.

I think the fact that your body labour and you dilated to 10 cms shows you that you can do that part of it

Come join us in the VBAC and EBAC discussion thread where others are trying for VBAC's and go for support.

I had an emergency c/s the first time around due to failure to progress, and had a successful VBAC in November. It is possible, and the most invaluable thing was to have supportive people around me who encouraged me for a VBAC.

Mustang Guest

Thanks guys, its great to hear that there are alot of mothers out there that have had to have a c section but then went on to having perfectly normal VB...I guess i just felt like i failed in some way, i really want to experience the whole birthing process.....people would say. why are you so keen to have a VB, and end up all streched and loose. I dont care about any of that, its just a process only us women get to have. Something that men cant do and to know that not only did you carry something precious through thoes nine months, and giving birth to life is incredible and an experience that ive always wanted. Dont get me wrong im glad Eamon and i came out of things fine and im greatful for care i recieved in hospital and the fact we are both alive....

like in hospital they were saying man you dont look like youve just done all that work....and the thing is i felt like i hadnt cause i didnt get to experience the last part. Does that make any sense?

mrmoo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
    people would say. why are you so keen to have a VB, and end up all streched and loose.
    Huh? Are these people for real??? You don't end up all stretched and loose. Gees if we did then none of us would have been pregnant again!!! Do your pelvic floors and you'll be tight enough to hold a pencil, lol!!!

mrmoo Guest

Not that Dh's is the size of a pencil, ofcourse... LOL!

And if they do their research tehy would discover its the weight of the baby that damages pelvic floors more than delivery!!!!

Mustang I had an emerg csec with #3 and then proceeded to have a vbac with #4 he turned out to be 4625 gms ( 10pd 3) It can definately be done . my biggest tip is to RESEARCH. soooo thoroughly, that when people ( including Ob's ) quote crap statitistics which they make up, you can throw back the TRUTH

Nikbrad - just a little question where the heck does your ob get odds like that??? How does he know you've only got a 15 % chance??????????????

PMSL mrmoo!!!!

It's funny, I'm beginning to realise that a lot of the things that are feared about birth, are actually more a result of pregnancy than of birth itself.

Mustang Guest

Lol, im starting to feel like hope is not all lossed!.....I felt crap because i would talk to woman and they say they want an ellective c, they like the idea of the baby being born on a certian date and time in their scedual!.. i can understand how that would seem nice, but i here i was wanting a vingial birth and they were eger not to...Which is completely their choice and not having a go at woman having elective c sections. But i was trying so hard to have it naturally but then had to have c section....i was just jelious at the thought that they might go on to have comlpetely natural and normal births but choose not too...life isnt fair...

Again not having a go at all to anyone who has chosen an elective c section

Mustang Guest

oh and mrmoo,

Yes they would complained about their streched peices as well as that no guy will want them again and husbands will stay cause your not tight enough and sex is boring...

im like your husband is utter sh** if thats the case

I have had 3 vag, and 1 csec, and my DH has no complaints, but i also know people who have had 3 csecs, and have problems, its all utter bulls%$t.
    Mustang I know how you feel, Its like you need to defend your choice to "fight" the system and deliver your baby the way nature intended, and as for upsetting those who have elec csecs' - thats their choice - but quite a lot seem to feel it's their right to disapprove of your choice KWIM???

Mustang Guest

Of course it is their choice and their right, no doubt about it!. Im not giving crap to anyone that chooses to have an elective C... Just expressing how much i wanted to have a natural brith and what was going through my head at the time, really not anymore. But im glad for the imformation and support from the girls here makes me feel like just cause i have had one c section doesnt mean that i can go on to having what i always wanted a natural birth. I mean all i have heard is that if you have a c section then your chances of having a natural birth after that is low and it got my hopes down thats all...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast