Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourites on the BBQ

Default BBQ favourites

The BBQ season is here again . My favourite BBQed items are marinated lamb kebabs and seafood skewers but I'm looking for new ideas.
    Please inspire me - what do you like to chuck on the barbie?

here is my honey-soy marinade recipie
    1/3 cup honey
    1/2 cup soy sauce (I use salt reduced so if you use the saltier stuff you might want to use less)
    3 or 4 cloves crushed garlic
    1 tbsp fresh grated ginger.
    Mix everything up together and pour over the meat. Let it sit for at least an hour before cooking.
    Its delicious on chicken or lamb. If you brush a bit over the meat as its cooking it makes a really nice glaze.
    You can use it for chicken wings in the oven too (just spoon a tiny bit over each wing before baking in a medium oven for 30 minutes turning often then boost it to hot until the chicken is well glazed and tender)

I am a fan of BBQ pork ribs.......so the meat just falls off the bone and is all crispy and sticky on the outside.........

Debbie Lee Guest

I love BBQing veges like capsicum, zucchini etc. Sooo yummy (and healthy!!).

Another fave is chicken kebabs. Just make them up however you like with plain chicken thigh or breast then coat with lemon pepper seasoning... yummo!

Garlic and chilli prawns - soo soo yummy!

You get some shelled green prawns (1/2 - 1kg), and marinate them for a few hours or overnight in 2 tbs sweet chilli sauce, 2 tbs crushed garlic, 1/2 cup lemon juice and chopped fresh coriander. Except, don't add the lemon juice until about 1 hour before cooking as it will start to cook the prawns. Then just cook them on the barbie, or skewer them and cook.

I do BBQ garlic prawns similar to Bon.... but my favourite is BBQ lamb fillets which I serve over a salad.

1/2 cup OJ
    1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 tsp oregano chopped
    2 tbsp (or a good splash) red wine

Put lamb in marinade for an hour & pop on the BBQ, slice & serve over salad of spinach, BBQ'd veggies like capsicum, zucchini and tomato.

Thinly slice up a few SWEET POTATOES and chuck 'em on. Wow, they are ridiculously yummy.
    I have friends who do pancake bbq's in the park every few Saturdays......now that's a fantastic idea.

Debbie Lee Guest

MMM yum... sweet potato... I'll have to give that one a go!

oh yeah!!! BBQ sweet potato is beautiful!! We brush ours with olive oil....mmmm

Ooer I love sweet potato but haven't BBQed it before.

*TamaraP* Guest

I just love snags on the BBQ with potatoes!!

wow i never tried a lot of these things! Im happy with home made hamburgers...yum!

Although i do like chicken thigh skewers with onion and capsicum marinated in a honey soy dressing. My recipe is the same as above, but I add a bit of garlic and golden syrup

abs Guest

bbq'd ribs - yumm (either beef or pork) - best to wet roast em at about 150-180 degrees for 90-120mins ahead of time, then onto the bbq when ready. If doing Pork ones, stand em on the rind to cook that properly too

thinly sliced potato makes good chips too

I make skewers with chicken cherry tomatoes, pineapple & red oinio in turn on skewers & then make a home made Satay sauce!!!

I also marinate beef in teriyaki & add a bit of chilli too & skewer these up with onion, tomato, mushrooms etc... Yummy

Also thinly sliced sweet potato..... mmmm yummy!

Marinated steaks any sort & nay marinade I throw together...

I also make hommade burgers & sometimes pack surprises into the centres, like brie cheese, or mozzarella, or something & snags need to be burnt, not a par cooked snag, it's gotta be WELL done!!!

MMM I love BBQ's it's my favourite!!!

I love a good BBQ! We've been using ours heaps lately. I love;

Lamb steaks
    Fruit kebabs (can caramlise them by brushing with a little sugar before throwing them on)
    Fish
    Prawn skewers
    Corn on the cob (YUM!)
    Chicken wings
    Meat and Veg skewers (prefer pork or lamb)
    Yabbies
    Pork ribs - the real rib ones!

And of course you can't have a BBQ without potato (sweet potato is great!) or onions!

Well we just went all out and bought replacement grill plates for our BBQ got stainless steel as I was over the rusting flaking cast iron ones. And I am sooooo happy! Not only are they easier to clean but it tastes better I swear!

We had bbq ribs the other night and omg they were good, tonight we're having honey soy steak, and tomorrow I'm making honey mustard chicken to have with spring onion mash for lunch

I'm in a bbq'ing frenzy bought this AWESOME bbq book and I'm very happy!

So bring on the BBQ tips. I think I'll make this a sticky I'll post the chicken recipe later!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Hello, we get these huge zucchinis that we call lurkers (on account of how they lurk under the leaves until they're enormous) and we slice them into thick chunks, brush with olive oil and grill - yum!!

The other sooper dooper BBQ trick *looks around for culinary spies* is to bone out a leg of lamb , butterfly it out flat, then marinade and cook slowly on the grill. YUM - roast lamb in summer, it's always a hit!!
    :-)

mooshie Guest

yup bbq vegies are a favourite here to, we just roughly cut up capsicum red, green and yellow, zucchini, eggplant etc and just fry them in a bit of olive oil - very yummy

mmmm i think i will have to get dh to do the sweet potato sounds delicious

Honey Mustard Chicken:

1/2 cup honey
    2 tablespoons flat parsley
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons oil (vegetable olive oil can burn on bbq)
    1/4 cup dijon mustard (we do 1/8 wholegrain and 1/8 dijon)
    black pepper
    1kg chicken thighs or 1.8 kg pieces (we use thighs)

mix marinade together reserve 1/4 cup for basting, pour into bag with chicken seal and leave in fridge overnight (or for 4 hrs)

Preheat a covered or Kettle BBQ to medium indirect heat and cook for 20-30 minutes or until they are cooked through Baste the chicken with the reserved marinade for only the last 5-8 minutes otherwise it will burn.

Serve with Spring onion mash (or whatever you fancy).

*hugs*
    Cailin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast