Thread: Hypothetical - Do you think I would have gone into labour naturally?

Question Hypothetical - Do you think I would have gone into labour naturally?

This is a purely hypothetical question - just wanted to see what peoples opinions are

DS was due on the 16th January - but was born by elective c-section on the 10th. I'm now wondering if I would have had him before his due date of the 16th, had I not elected to go with the c-section.

I started losing my plug on Christmas day - so 16 days before c-section, 22 days before due date. When the doc took him out, his head was down really far (doc had to use forceps to pull him out cos he was lodged in there pretty good apparently) and the top of his head looked a little cone-ish.

So I'm wondering, had I let nature take its course, would I have gone into labour naturally before his due date or would I have gone overdue??

I guess I'm wondering this, mainly because my mum was overdue with my brother and sister, and then induced for me, and I'm a little ... concerned... that I may go overdue with this one, and since I'm having a VBAC, my OB has already told me that she doesn't want me to go too far overdue (she wasn't specific as to how long over).

So I'm just wondering if anyone had any opinions as to whether I would have gone into labour before the 16th January for Aricyn, (I know its pretty much asking how long is a piece of string, but I'm interested in peoples stories I guess) and then do you think if I had gone early, would I go overdue with the second one? What is the usual flow of things, do second babies usually come later than due or pretty much whenever they want? (I'm pretty sure everyone will say whenever they want!!! )

Just thought I would put the question out there cos I've been thinking about it for a bit now...

All opinions welcome and respected of course!!!!

Ta

As you say, there is no way of knowing. But it sounds as if you well might have him very close to your due date. My first was two days late and my second 4 weeks early, but of course there is no way of predicting what will happen each time.

The thing is though, there is no greater risk as far as I am aware, with going past your due date with a VBAC than any other situation. The difference is that induction is riskier, so not really an option, but there is no reason why you can't let nature take it's course if bub doesn't arrive on the due date. Hopefully Christy will pop in, her second was a VBAC 2 weeks over due and she has a very healthy 18 month old now - going past dates caused no complications other than to cause lots of people to worry unnecessarily. If your ob is already talking c-section for post-dates, it would be worthwhile doing some reading about it now, to inform yourself, and I would strongly recommend a doula who will be able to advocate for you when pressure to do something you don't want to is applied. Best of luck to you, if a VBAC is what you want, go for it and I hope it all goes well for you.

Thanks MR. I haven't spoken to my OB since my first appointment about going over my date, but its just stuck in my mind thats all.... In all appointments since that she always asks where my mindset is at, how I feel about my ability to go for the VBAC (and which I assure her that I CAN DO THIS... and WILL ROCK AT IT.. haha) and in turn, she assures me every time that I CAN do this, and more over that I WILL do it, so I know she is supportive (as much as OB's can be ).

And I have a doula lined up, my SIL is a student doula who has had 2 VBAC's herself, which is very empowering and motivating for me to know that I will have someone there who has BTDT, not just read it in a book somewhere IYKWIM?

Thanks for your reply (and for your good luck wishes!!)

paradise lost Guest

There's no way of knowing. If you had not had a section i am confident that eventually you'd have gone into labour, but it might not have been before the (TBH pretty arbitrary) EDD. If you read the IVF threads you can see many times when sperm meet egg division can be slower in some embies than others - if that were the case for normally concieved babies the EDD would be even LESS accurate. I have known women POSITIVE they are 8weeks PG being scanned as 6weeks PG but all is well and bubs is born whole and healthy somewhere around their EDD, but the actual date itself is not so helpful.

The rupture rate for VBAC women is the same as the rupture rate for non-VBAC chemical (prostaglandin) inductions for post-dates. If your Ob is willing to "risk" the rupture in a first-time mum because she is 14 days past her EDD, they should be willing to "risk" you going at LEAST the same number of days overdue before sectioning, right?

Remember that it is Your Body, Your Baby, Your Birth. If you are comfortable going to full term (EDD+14) then do so. You can have scans and foetal monitoring to make sure all is well - you won't be in the dark. You can say to your Ob, look, i will allow a section when it is medically required - so diminishing amniotic fluid or foetal distress, but not because of a pre-decided arbitrary number of days passing. Know your stuff and keep your sense of humour and tact and you will only be respected for your intelligence and knowledge. You pay them, you make the choices, they just give you the information and options.

Bx

From the sound of it, I have no dobut that you would have gone into labour naturally at some stage, but how close to your EDD that would have been is anyone's guess. What was the reason for your c/s? Also what was the reason for your own induced birth? Maybe there was a reason you mum had to have it instead of waiting. But bare in mind too that even though you mum went overdue with her pg,s you wont necessarily follow the same pattern.

I have to say about your ob though, as supportive as she appears to be, she is still putting you on a time limit by not letting you go too far over - you need to establish just how far over she will let you go, considering that you may need a full 42wk gestation.

I love that you are so positive and completely certain this is what you want to do - good luck to you Mel

Thanks Hoobley you are always so supportive and give excellent advice in posts.

Trillian - thanks for the good luck - I am trying to be positive - I know I can do it so its not hard to be positive - even with all negativity coming from my family!!!!! From what my mum has told me, she was induced with me because she went overdue with my brother and sister, and they didn't want her to go over with me. Needless to say, there is a reason why I was the last child, most horrible birth for her - most painful I think I remember her saying... but this was the 70's!!!!

I had a c-section mainly because I was uneducated about my ability to give birth naturally, which is stupid I know, and I only have myself to blame. I was told when younger that my pelvis was at a weird angle (not just that but my hoo hah too) so didn't have the confidence to even try to give birth naturally. Plus, my sister (who has had 4 c-sections in 4 years) was telling me that I would be STUPID if I would try it naturally as the first birth for my mum had nearly killed her. So armed with all this "advice" I told my OB I wanted an elective c-section - for no medical reason - and he agreed to go with whatever I wanted.

I have now changed my OB's, and done my research and realise what a complete freakin idiot I was (I so wish I had known about belly belly before Aricyn was born!!) and I know that I was made to do this because the guilt that I felt after having a c-section was HORRIBLE. It felt soooo wrong and that I did a really really really wrong thing against my bodies natural abilities... IYKWIM??

Sorry for rambling!!!

paradise lost Guest

Mel it is great you realise that you made a mistake with your model of care with your first birth but don't take on all the guilt yourself. You might have been naive and not known what you do now, but do you think if you went to the doctor and asked for some insulin to take (you don't need it, you just want it) or some methadone or an operation to have one leg made longer they would be so quick to grant that wish? No, they would not.

Only in obstetrics do doctors allow those who do not KNOW what they need to choose the option they really DO NOT need.

Bx

Mel, please don't feel guilty. You can only make a decision with the information you have at the time. I too wish I had found bellybelly earlier. My situation is not the same at all, but I had an epidural with DS1 as I didn't know any better. That led to longer labour, foetal distress, forceps, tear and episiotomy, and recurring haemorrhoids (ok, maybe this would have happened anyway but I'll blame the epi!!). Now having birthed without an epidural, I know two things. One is that I can birth without an epidural. And the second is how much better it feels afterwards and how much more quickly you recover (bascially instantly LOL!). I try not to feel too regretful or guilty about having the intervention first time, because I could only do what I knew at the time. But thank goodness that so many women do find bellybelly or another good source of info first and not have to go through that.

I wish for you the birth of your dreams this time around. It is the most empowering, invigorating feeling you will ever have.

Thanks guys... you'll make me cry!!!!! Already getting teared up, which isn't a good look cos I'm at work!!!!
    Thank you, as always, for your empowering words and continued support

Oh Mel, please don't think that you were stupid or anything of the sort - your Dr should have TOLD you that you could give birth naturally, not book you in without even blinking an eye at your request. Hindsight is a wonderful thing hun and Im sure that if any of us could go back there are things that we would change. All that matters now is that you have educated yourself and you are going to make sure things are different this time.

Trillian - thanks for your support It means a lot to me that I have this support behind me!! Watch out for my birth announcement in 10 (or so) weeks time!!!
    And I agree - hindsight is a wonderful thing....

I will be keeping a keen eye on the Birth Announcements thread for sure! If you do need a boost in the coming weeks, just let us know and we will be there to cheer you on - support, whether IRL or online is so important.

Yeah I might need a cheer squad like Sarah...

Go Mel! Go Mel!!

And I'll be the first on it Mel

As you know I'm going for a VBAC as well & I will admit that I'm already "overdue" now. So far no-one has put any pressure on me but they do keep talking about that magical 10 days post dates where they start thinking of inducing in a non-VBAC birth, so I'm not sure what they'll talk about for me....

One thing I know that they can do, which is a relatively new thing for inductions as far as I know is a balloon induction. Basically they put a foley's cathetar into the cervix & blow up the balloon to dilate the cervix to 3-4cm & leave it there for a few hours in the hope that it will kickstart things. It is an induction yes, but one that they can do for a VBAC. Do a google search on it & ask at your next appointment if your hospital would be willing to do one for you if you go post dates. Hopefully though you won't need it

Haha thanks MR - I'll come back for more cheers in 10 weeks!!!! pmsl

I'm waiting on yours to pop out Sarah - you're my inspiration (no pressure of course!!) lol

and ewwww on the catheter... doesn't sound very pleasant at all!!!! Less hands in my hoo har the better I think!!!!!

I've got a midwife appointment tomorrow, so will ask then what will happen in that case (although they will probably just refer me to the OB for further information.. haha!)

paradise lost Guest

Just popping back to say - Foley's cath induction = AMAZING! It has a miniscule rupture rate (same as random chance), and the best it of all IT IS REVERSIBLE! Unlike ANY other method it is both safe and reversible (prosto gels can cause rupture/uterine dytonia, once the waters are broken (AROM) or the sintocin is begun there is no going back, if it doesn't work, you get a section). If the Induction fails with a foleys cath they remove it and try again a few days later.

And don't worry Mel - it is LESS hands up the whoohaa than the gels are! They only have to put it in once...

Bx