Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waiting For The Cord To Stop Pulsating Before Cutting

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

From ABC website:

Better not clamp the umbilical cord
    25 July 2006

One medical tradition that maybe heading for the dustbin of history is clamping the umbilical cord immediately after a baby is born. It may be depriving infants of lots of good things, especially iron. The reasons relate to fears that the mother might be at increased risk of haemorrhage. And then there’s the desire to put the baby on the mother’s abdomen as soon as possible.

But more and more research is showing that in un-distressed babies, leaving the cord open for a couple of minutes with the baby on the bed rather than up on the tummy improves iron stores in the first six months – which in turn could mean better brain development. The babies are no more likely to become jaundiced or have too much blood on board and the risk of bleeding in the mother seems unaffected.

A lot of the research in this area is in poorer countries where babies are more at risk, but there’s little reason to suspect that delaying cord clamping won’t benefit all infants.

For reference
    Chaparro CM et al. Effect of timing of umbilical cord clamping on iron status in Mexican infants: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2006;367:1997-2004
    Mercer J and Erickson-Owens D. Delayed cord clamping increases iron stores. (Editorial) Lancet 2006;367:1956-1958
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Can't they put the babies on the mothers tummies unclamped Geeeezze! Thats what we did... sillllly!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Yeah, that bit confuses me...? I think I'd find it really hard not to pick up my child straight away..
    Oh and thanks Trish and Natalie for the 'plop' info lol.. I'm not so worried now..

This is sooooo interesting. I had absolutely no idea about the cord pulsating etc. I feel terrible depriving my son of these things having had a cs.

I have heard of some caesareans where they have let the cord stop pulsating. You just have to choose the right Ob. Unfortunately not many women are informed about the cord stuff before they have the baby or that they have the option to have this happen. There are hospital *policies*, but no laws... remember that when you are making decisions for your baby's birth
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Thanks Kelly. I really need to read more, and aim to be much more prepared for my next preg/birth. Do you know of any educational preg/birth type videos that explains everything that happens to your body and baby during the birth process?
    With my first preg/birth, we werent taught much at all at the ante natal classes, which only went for 3 nights. And i figured the less i knew, the less i would worry. I am thinking the opposite now.

Yes unfortunately the way things are these days that if you want something specific, you have to ask or fight for it, which is not something you want to do in labour hence the need for good birth support people. I see dad's reduced to tears all the time, because it is so hard sometimes to understand and be able to know what to do and say for their partner. Like I always say to everyone, it's up to you to inform yourself and get that birth you want - it's often not going to be served on a plate for you and often it's the strong who survive!!! So start with a carer you trust and acknowledges and supports your birth intentions (get them to sign it!), a place of birth which has good birth philosophies, GREAT pre-natal education - forget the hospital, it's only going to be based around their need for management, and great support. I am not sure of some pre-natal education in Adelaide, will see what I can find out.

For birth videos, if you just want to see births, there is a huge collection on the ACE Graphics website, Capers website etc but if you mean something else let me know. I think just seeing lots of homebirth/waterbirth DVD's are great as it gives you all that power and confidence that it can be done without interventions and it can be done well when things are undisturbed.

Consider having a Doula / Birth Attendant. After every birth I have been to, they all say to me that they couldn't have done it without me. And while I always reply, 'Hey, you were the star of the show - it was all you,' it just goes to show you how much that extra support has meant and been helpful - plus you get the benefits of the things a Doula brings including all that lowered rates of interventions and the little things that she can remind the doctors - e.g. 'Wait - she's asked that you wait before cutting the cord,' when mum and dad are so exhausted and overwhelmed with emotion holding their baby, and they just don't notice what else is going on. I also love taking those 'right-after-birth' photos that dad can't take because he is getting to know his new baby
    Last edited by BellyBelly; July 29th, 2006 at 08:41 AM.
    Kelly xx

I'm in Adelaide and just had my intensive ante-natal class at Modbury Public. I found it really good - the midwife was clearly pro active-labor and we talked a lot about the positions which help relieve labor pain, we even watched a video about these positions. The only time we talked about drugs were after we'd passed around clip-boards with words like 'epidural', 'pethidine', 'gas' etc. and written what we knew about them, and when they were collected the midwife went through refuting or confirming what we'd written. Nothing more was said about drugs, which I thought was AWESOME!
    In saying that, at my last visit (24 weeks) I mentioned I would like the cord to stop pulsating before it was clamped and the midwife I had immediately set about telling me how it wasn't that great....which was annoying. I'll just take in a printout of its benefits next time and get them to write me a paper in response to it, would be easier!
    PS: we also watched a birth video (first time mum having a natural birth) and it was really encouraging....she did so well!

Thanks for your Info Kelly, and great advice You are totally right in what you say. I was naive in the sense that i did think that the Drs were in control of the birth, but in the end, it is my birth, my body and my baby. I think watching some birth dvd's may help put my mind at ease. As i have always feared birth, and i know that this is not a healthy way of thinking. A doula definately sounds like a great idea too, my DH was too busy looking after me during my cs, and missed out on the birth/photos/video etc.

Quote Originally Posted by EllyBoo72
    I was naive in the sense that i did think that the Drs were in control of the birth
    Ally - I felt that way with #1 as well, so your not alone. I`ve learnt a lot with this pregnancy, hence different OB.

Kelly - thanks for the info, I`ve decided to go ahead with no cord clamping until it stops pulsating Just need to tell this boy to get a move on out into the big wide world, everyone`s waiting to meet him.

Take Care

Dee

Dee, good to hear that you've made a decision. Does your OB support this??

I think it's time your little man started paying board hey. Come on little man, mummy and daddy are waiting for you

Birthinghands Guest

HI All,
    It is so true that the cord should be left to cease pulsating until severance. Their is at least one exception I don't think has been mentioned yet however and that is during a waterbirth. The ambient temp approx 37 celsius delays cord ceasation and we used to severe after a reasonable time a min or two.
    Another consideration is the babies position in relation to the placenta to assist or inhibit bloodflow too and from baby (important when considering Bilirubin breakdown etc later on.

Blessings to all

Nigel

Nigel, my last birth was a homewaterbirth and we left the cord attached until it stopped pulsing roughly 20 minutes or maybe more. We had no problems at all with this. ALso Tehya did have slight jaundice for about 2 weeks but again nothing that isn't out of the norm anyway.

Found one of the articles, I will re-post it here:

Trial finds delay in cord clamping protects babies
    (as reported in the Courier Mail recently)

A 30 second delay in clamping a premature newborn's umbilical cord protects against bleeding in the brain and infection, groundbreaking new research shows.

The study, which involved 72 babies, could prompt a reassessment of the standard practice of clamping the cord immediately after birth.

Delayed clamping has been shown to increase the volume of blood transferred to the baby from the placenta.

Researchers from the University of Rhode Island, in the US, followed 36 babies assigned to immediate cord clamping and 36 assigned to delayed cord clamping.

All were less than 32 weeks gestation and their prematurity meant they were at increased risk of brain haemorrhage and infection.

In the weeks after birth, 36 percent of the immediate group had suffered bleeding into the brain, compared with 14 per cent of the delayed group.

Nine of the immediate group but none of the delayed group developed infections while in the intensive care.

"It may be that the small amounts of additional blood preterm infants obtain by delaying cord clamping helps to stablise cerebral blood flow and provide additional stem cells to establish adequate immunocompetence" says the report in this month's America Pediatrics journal.
    Kelly xx

I know this is a really old thread but,

I have already agreed to donate the cord blood as i was unaware of this information.. I had no idea that the cord clamping could be delayed or of its benifits. Am I able to change my mind now or is it set in stone now that ive agreed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12