Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding General Chatter #13

Me too em...

congrats on the milestones guys

We have reached 16 months so far

Em - i think at 4 months theres a big growth spurt? Maybe it will settle down soon.

Im hoping DS cuts out the night feeds soon :S

She didn't gain anything this week. Still 4.9kg

Do I panic now? I thought everything was going well

Don't panic! How old is she now? Is she still growing & developing? It's only 1 week - you have to average these thigns out over time. Look at her - does she look ok? The numbers on the scale are just one indicator, not themost importnt one.
    DD hasn't gained anything in the past 6 weeks. She's grown though, and doesn't look thinner. Weird.

Don't panic Mel does she look taller? Maybe she is just growing in that way. It is only one week, how is the bigger picture? Wet nappies? Contentment? I'm sure it is fine, babies do have spurts and slow periods.

She looks fine I think? I can still squeeze her into 000, but did have her in a 00 today just to try it on for size. I don't find that really reliable since baby clothes are all over the shop with their sizings though. Grrr.

Nappies are wet, averaging 3 poos a day.

Maybe I should measure her length?

Mad- thanks for the reassurance. Are you not concerned about her weight gain? I think because my last mchn was so stressed out about eden's weight that I'm stressed out. Anything less than 100g wasn't acceptable to her. And that makes me stress lol

yeah, but it's only 1 week. Their weight gains can vary enormously week to week, so unless there are other signs of immediate concern (floppy, listless, dehydrated, etc) then it's best to wait it out for another couple of weeks and see how it goes. She's over 2 months now, right? From the 3-month mark (or thereabouts) the weight gains do slow down a lot.
    At DD's age the weight can tend to plateau, so I'm not concerned. She seems fine to me. Also it was a different set of scales, so it may be that she's gained a little bit.

Just a quick one. I am currently giving DD her last feed as a one year old. In a few short hours she will turn 2.

When we started my aim was simply to breastfeed her. Then 3 months. Then six. Now I have no goals we just do it and will continue until we stop for whatever reason

That's gorgeous BG, what a fantastic achievement!

Congrats BG! and happy birthday to your little girl.

Day feeds are a bit wierd at the moment, my LO will come off and wipe her tongue and look up at me as if i have done something to the milk. She is on-off a lot more which is not so good cos i've got a bit of nipple sensitivity happening too. Night feeds are fine though. We were kinda cutting them down (mutually) but if she is not getting as much during the day i don't want nights to stop. Just going with the flow and seeing what happens

Hey Mel, don't panic. DD didn't put on ANY weight between 2 and 5 months, but she grew in head and length. We had to see a dietician and she told me that the focus (on slow to gain babies) is on length first and weight second. It's easier to put the weight on later than it is to grow taller! So sometimes when there is a slow week or so in weight gains, it just means they are growing longer or their little bodies are doing other things like working out how to move, etc. Hope that makes sense!

DD has gone on a feeding frenzy at nights now. She's teething and just wants to mostly comfort suck ALL night long. I don't mind it except that she HAS to tweak my other nipple and it annoys the crap out of me! She gets shirty if I try and hold her hand, so I lay there with her feeding and me holding my boob with my free hand!

7 months and 4 days
    shes starting to get a bit distracted at feed times any tips? she stops if Jamie screams and he likes to do this every time she eats sigh

i hate tweaking! I just refused to let DS do it.

HotI, DS did that a lot when I was pregnant and he wasn't geting milk. You've still got milk, but maybe there's a bit less? Also could be a change in taste maybe?

J, I have to set DS up with something, then tell him I'm going to the bedroom to feed DD or get her to sleep and will he please play nicely out here and not interrupt, then we can do something. It often works ok.

BG go you!! Awesome achievement. Just curious did you have a supportive extended family? Just that I've already encountered negativity about bfeeding from my own family and baby is only 4.5 months!

Girls, I FF my first so I am paving the way with my second as I go. Do BF babies ever sleep through the night in the first yr? Is it reasonable to expect this?

Quote Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
    Girls, I FF my first so I am paving the way with my second as I go. Do BF babies ever sleep through the night in the first yr? Is it reasonable to expect this?
    How many hours do you consider through the night? DD slept 9 hours from birth till about 6 months, would feed and back to sleep for another 3-4. At 6 months so many other developmental things happened with her and it went down hill. From 7- 12 months we were up 7 times a night but it wasnt for feeds. I dont think its unreasonable to expect it but I think its more about the child not the feeding iykwim? i also think perhaps sometimes mums dont tell the full truth about babies sleeping patterns for fear of criticism, but thats just my opinion!

Many do Isadora. It's just one of those things. There's plenty of ff babies that don't too, you know?
    I slept through from 3.5 weeks and never had a drop of formula. My babies on the other hand...
    It is totally normal for babies & young children to wake in the night though, most do at least some of the time.

DD has been breastfeeding for just over 4 weeks now - how time has flown! She must have had a spurt yesterday, as she was feeding every 1.5 hours for most of the day - I felt glued to the couch. Today she seems to be back to her usual 2-3 hourly feeds though.
    I took DD to be weighed this afternoon and she is now 4.94kg, which means she's gained 1.09kg since birth, 670g of which were in the past two weeks! I can't believe how well she's doing!

So true girls. There have been nights where I have topped up with formula at her dream feed and yet she still wakes 3 hours later. I dont bother anymore. You are so right ladies thanks for reminding me, it comes down to the baby not how they are fed.

Sterla - So well done thats a fantastic gain!!

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast