Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding General Chatter #13

Gorgeous post TK

I have recently found my ABA group and been to a couple of meetings now. I am enjoying it, and now going to be the person for my area who puts posters and stuff up at the local health services.

I love that little sucking smile... too gorgeous.

My little treasure was sleeping through the night before that hot spell, but is now waking again. Bummer. I *think* I can snap her out of it though, by offering extra day feeds now that it's a bit cooler.

Baby listened to my bloody ILs! She learned to tell the time and put herself on a regular feeding schedule. She feeds every two and a half to three hours. She's 2 months old now and I already miss that all day feeding frenzy.

DD has discovered the joys of feeding to sleep....

Lovely post TK.

HotI, that's great, my local group meets at the same time as playgroup so we never make it but I have helped out a few times by being a breastfeeding demonstrator at their classes. It's nice to help out.

Audax, hope she sleeps through again, DD did the same thing. Sometimes those 2am feeds are nice and quiet though, just us but a full nights sleep would also be nice.

DD is past 13 months now and we are still feeding she has about 4 feeds during the day and a couple overnight and she feeds to sleep as well. Some days it just seems like a lot but other days it seems like nothing because she feeds so quickly now. I still haven't got AF back yet either, is that normal?

E, I didn't get af back till 16.5 months with DS. That was after night weaning at 14 months and cutting back day feeds to 4-5

I got AF back properly around 7 months and we are still feeding day and night about 12 times. I think 'normal' is different for everyone, unless it's a problem for you it's not a problem.

On hot days, especially if we are out driving, my LO is getting dehydrated and it's affecting her poos. I offer her water lots as well as BFs. She loves drinking water but a lot gets dribbled. SHe feeds lots but does get distracted when we are out. And it is usually an hour in the car for me cos i live in the bush. I think i just have to be conscious of offering drinks at every opportunity. She has a sippy cup in the car and usually a wet face washer to suck on.

Feeding to sleep is not working as well as it used to, so working on other methods as well. Hoping i can get something to work soon. I am thinking about working for 1 or 2 days, so it would be good if there were methods other people could use to help settle her.

Hotl, DS is fed to sleep. But when my mum has him she puts him to sleep with a nuby turtle. It's a little plush turtle that plays lullabies and it's face lights up. He will snuggle up to it and fall asleep. It's really quite cute

Girls, does anyone know what oral thrush looks like? My DD's tongue is caked in white stuff and its a little bit on the inside of her lips. I also had a burning feeling on one nipple last night while feeding and this morning I noticed both nipples have the slightest little white looking bubbly rash - its hard to explain but I cant find any info online about it?? Apart from that no major pain and DD is feeding fine.

Dh rocks DD to sleep if I'm not there, sometimes there's tears but mostly she's quite good.

So, is it worth night weaning? Or should I just keep going with it? Not really sure because DS was sleeping through at this age. Really have no idea what to do. I'm happy to breastfeed as she just comes into bed with me at her first wake up. Half of it's comfort and half of it I think she needs it but then again she eats and drinks well during the day....

DD sleeps 8 hours most nights lets hope that doesnt change lol but that probably means she wont space out her feeds for a while yet but oh well shes easy to work around
    i was gonna be really selfish and put her on formula so i could have a job but i can wait to work i'd rather her bf for longer so i passed

Quote Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
    Girls, does anyone know what oral thrush looks like? My DD's tongue is caked in white stuff and its a little bit on the inside of her lips. I also had a burning feeling on one nipple last night while feeding and this morning I noticed both nipples have the slightest little white looking bubbly rash - its hard to explain but I cant find any info online about it?? Apart from that no major pain and DD is feeding fine.
    Oh no. Not another BFing drama for you! I'd say see your doc, or at least a pharmacist if you can't get in.

I had ongoing thrush issues. It does sound like your DD has thrush and that you do too. It's such a PITA. For me I did the following: switched to disposable breast pads and changed them EVERY feed day & night - went through them like toilet paper (you can switch back to cloth or not changing as often once you are totally clear), wash nipples after EVERY feed with a mixture of bicarb and water (dipped a cotton ball in the water and wiped, then patted dry with a tissue (not a towel because then you'd need to wash it after each use), used oral dacutarin (sp?) on my nipples, kept my nipples exposed as much as possible (I hated this - walking around the house without a top with leaking breasts - not fun nor attractive) and if you can, step out into sunlight for 5-10 minutes without a top (I'd hang the laundry topless), wash your bras as often as possible and dry in sunlight. This all helped me but didn't do the full job, I needed diflucan which is a pharmacist only medication - the pharmacist will tell you not to take it without checking with your GP. My GP had me take 3 tablets over 6 days (alternating days).

For my DS I used daktarin oral gel as well - in his mouth. you need to be careful not to put a glob in there despite the instructions to use a pea size amount. I'd smear it on my clean finger first and then rub it around DS's mouth as best I could. I can't remember the frequency, but it was pretty often (as the pharmacist).

My GP really wanted me to pump and feed for a week but I refused (too time consuming and I did not want to use a bottle for every feed for a week although I do use them occasionally) - I am sure that if I had been willing to do this, it would have cleared up faster - I had it more or less for 3+ weeks and just kept up with the regiment above.
    I was able to find lots of info online through google searches although none of it really helped me anyway.

Hello Ladies.

My DD will be 4 months on tuesday (15th) and I honeslty didnt think i'd be BF still... i had a early stages of masitis(sp?) but luckily i have a fantastic sister (tk1999) Who came and sat with me and showed me how to hand express.. We havent had anything else happen since that... She doesn't feed over night anymore i think she cut that out herself between 2mnths-3mnths.... she goes to sleep anywhere between 8:30pm-10:30pm and wakes between 6am-7am sometimes abit later... She doesnt really have a routine... She runs it herself, so i go on what she wants... Is that everything i'm meant to say lol... don't know what else to say but

why hello retrogal - fancy seeing you here! I know I have said this to you but wanted to say it here too... I am so proud of you and all that you have done with your BF relationship with Miss E - and her weight gains and happy content little self show that your milk is doing her wonders. My DD didn't really have a routine - which I considered to be our routine ITMS.

Hi everyone - DD fed whilst I was having a pedicure today... she fell asleep it was so relaxing for us both

Thanks girls for the tips. Its definately oral thrush. Just want to friggin scream right now!!! Just cant get breastfeeding right, seriously.

Also another question - DD starts off with a good attachment and its comfy for me. But around 5 mins into a feed seems to become tired and slips up against the nipple, which in turn hurts and damages my nipple. I have been taking her off and trying to re attach but she doesnt open nice and wide like she does at the start. If she is happy enough can I just keep her off the boob and switch to the other? Just dont know if she is getting enough...

Sorry, its all dramas with me, and I have no clue about breastfeeding

Ah no Is! It's best not to let her continue feeding if the latch isn't right. Have you called the ABA or got onto the LC again for advice? Might be best.
    But you do have a clue, because you're doing really well feeding your baby.
    I avoided thrush first time, but couldn't get attachment for 11 weeks. This time we had thrush for abut a month. takes forever to budge.

Quote Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
    Sorry, its all dramas with me, and I have no clue about breastfeeding
    sweetheart your not being dramatic at all and you will get the feeding thing its just that BFing can be incredibly difficult!!!! And I, like you, had absolutely no clue and interestingly enough DD wasnt much better for the first 5 months but you are sticking at it and your DD is feeding, so you are doing so great. It just takes a while to get over all the initial fiddly bits I had my midwife say to me when DD was 9 weeks, you will still be feeding when shes 6 months and I literally laughed at her and told her not to be so silly. Guess she's the one laughing now

Hi all!

Thought I'd stick my head in this thread and have a poke around and see if I can get some advice

My DD is only 1.5 weeks old, and from the beginning we've had troubles feeding, shed attach, have a couple sucks, arch back, scream, then try again and the process goes on and on in a vicious circle.
    Anyway, the midwives suggested that maybe I had a very strong let down, (of which im still not sure, but it wouldnt surprise me) and suggested we try the nipple shield. So we did, as we were resorting to feeding via syringe and even then shed scream and scream and turn bright red. And it worked a treat!! She feeds awesomely with it and has put on 200g in a week and only lost 20g from her birth weight! so we are naturally very pleased with that! inkcheer:

However, recently, as in the past couple days, she's started acting funny with her feeds again? I can now only feed her lying down, whereas before I used to have her in the football hold sitting up usually, but was fairly lax with whatever, and shed sleep pretty well too, and finish eating within about 45mins.

Now she takes AAGES to feed at just about every feed, (sometimes upto 2hrs! Is that normal?!) and usually now around 1-1.5hrs! And she occasionally pulls off and has a cry for about 2secs and jumps back on and sucks a couple seconds and does the same thing again! It's getting very tiring! Occasionally shell surprise me and do a fairly quick feed (around 45mins) and sleep really well for ages, which is what she always used to be like!
    And then with sleeping shes now usually fairly unsettled! She stirs alot and won't sleep in her bassinett when she usually prefers it to sleeping with us! (we want to cosleep, so it's not a big deal her being with us, just unlike her is all!)
    Pretty much every time I pick her up to put her in, shell wake and be hungry again! Even if I just finished feeding her! Either that or I'll just have her in the bassinet and same story! I dont know what to do!?

Just thought if anyone could give suggestions I'd be so so grateful, I'm getting so tired and frustrated as I know she's not starving!

Thanks girls

Xxxoxxx

Oh, it might also help to note that I am currently on Keflex AB's ATM, for a suspected UTI or slight infection of the stitches from birth as I had an anterior Labial tear... If that may have anything to do with it??

It's so hard to describe what she's doing and remember it all without people seeing it

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast