Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding General Chatter #13

I'm such a dag.
    You know how I said DD hadn't gained any weight...? I got all confused about how much she weighed the last time... Went again today and she was 200g heavier than on the other scales. Thought cool, it's a gain. Looked in my book and realised that she's actually 1.2kg heavier than nearly 2 months ago
    So never mind me. At least she's putting all that night feeding to good use

LOL madb

DD has no increased her feeds to 1 1/2 hrly during the day and 1hrly by the afternoon and 2hrly at night! I'm exhausted but she's happy so I keep doing it.

Em, hang in there, you are so not alone I'm exhausted too lol.

MadB - Yay thats an awesome gain!! Definately makes the night time feeds worth it.

Does anyone have advice on getting baby to feed in the cradle hold position? I find this position to be a bit awkward as she squirms around, goes stiff, and kind of arches away from me. I would love for her to snuggle into me. So we have always fed with her laying down the middle of my body. I would like to try feed her in the cradle position as I think it looks more discrete and comfy in public. Anyone had similar issues?

DD doesn't feed that often during the day em, but I have that song "All night long. oo yeah" stuck in my head No idea how much she feeds during the night but it must be at least 2 hourly.

Not sure Is. I can't really get DD to feed at all unless lying down. which is why she doesn't feed so much during the day - can't really do that when out and about.

Is, do you have a fast flow? Ds and dd both did the back arch on my left breast while in the cradle hold, because it comes down faster with gravity...you could try feeding lying down until after the initial let down and then sit up. Ds also does the back arch if he's not really hungry but wants to suck for comfort.

Ds is now over 7kgs...he's off the chart and has doubled hid birth weight in 2 months...he's also grown 9cm.

We do 2 hourly feeds round the clock here, with dome 3 hour stretches at night occasionally. *yawn*

Dd has dropped her day sleep too mostly because I stopped feeding her. It's been 2 weeks since I last fed her and I feel really happy about how long we managed it. I'm sad I ended it so abruptly, but it was because of severe pain with breast and nipple thrush...dd was so understanding and just said 'poor mummy, boobies are sore'.

wow he's hge arcadia! well done.
    Taht's so sweet that your DD was so understanding. I'm glad it worked out ok for you both.

MadB - So because she isnt feeding much during the day, is she playing catch up at night? Do you mean you actually have to lie down? We are up 3 times a night, exhausting. She slept better as a newborn!!!

Arcadia - Sounds like your boy is well and truly thriving, thats great! Thats very cute and understanding of your daughter.

No, dont seem to have a fast flow. She has always arched away from me slightly. Not as if she doesnt want to feed, she is just an archer I guess? Wont snuggle in. Its no big deal, I just would like to be able to sit on a chair in a cafe and just look like I'm cradling my baby and not that I am obviously feeding her.

The little diva also has a habit of latching on and then turning her head sideways so that her cheek is pressing hard against the breast. Dont know if I am imagining it, but when she does this the flow seems to be faster. Has she figured this out and thats why she does the head turn (and nipple twist!!) ?

Arcadia - you must have super boobie milk, and DD sounds very cute

Isadora - DS does the head turn as well sometimes, but usually when he's trying to look at something. Maybe she wants to be close, but not lay down itms? Could she maybe have silent reflux and the cradle position aggravates it?

DS turns the big 1 next week, and we are still feeding I'm sure there will be comments made that he will be big enough now to stop, and being pregnant I should stop, but I love our special cuddles and I'm not cutting him off anytime soon. He's recently been dropping a day feed, randomly, and started sleeping through the night again.

yeah, she makes up for it and then some! 3 times! that would be heaven.

Congrats Untold and happy birthday to your little one!

Well 16 weeks feeding here... I am feeling pretty proud because it's been a tough 16 weeks. Have the appointment with the oral surgeon tomorrow to see if dd's problems are definitely a tongue tie and to get it snipped if need be. I'm feeling really bad about it because dd is thriving, she doesn't need it. I'm doing this for me because my nipples hurt so much. I'm going to hurt her for my benefit. Makes me feel sick.

On another note I am still having issues with really bad engorgement every couple of days. It's a major pita. Will it ever settle down? My flow must have sped up again too because dd has been pulling off choking every couple of minutes again. She gets so upset about it.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Mumof2boys, you have really had a tough time and you have done so well sticking with it. You are getting the tongue tie snipped for her. Breastfeeding is important. It will make a real difference to her health and well being for her whole life. But if it is so painful for you that you can't breastfeed, then she loses something very significant - you both do. So don't let anyone tell you you should just *put up with it* or it's not necessary because she is thriving. My son had his tongue tie snipped when he was 14. It took seconds in the doctors surgery. I wished I'd had it done when he was a baby (I was advised not to - he was feeding fine) well, if you call feeding every hour and never gaining weight fine....

Is anyone feeding a 17+ month old? How long are they feeding for?
    I had weaned DS1 by this stage so i have no comparison, but DS2 feeds 3 or 4 times a day and he wants to feed for HOURS! Well, it seems like hours. I often find myself detaching him myself because it is becoming very uncomfortable. I guess it's normal, but it's a becoming a bit of a bind.

Lenny - DS is 17months and when im home he feeds morning, noon and night, and however many feeds overnight as well. They are not long feeds except the night one before bed but i think thats just because hes feeding and comforting at the same time. When im not home he has just the night feed and however many over night, i do like to feed him in the morning though before i leave but sometimes theres not always time.
    He was feeding for ages there for awhile but it was just after he had cold so im assuming he was just making up for it, perhaps hes having a growth spurt? If hes not complaining when you take him off maybe its just a comfort thing?

mumof2boys - Wow I am so impressed at how you have stuck it out. Dont feel bad about the possible tongue tie snip. This is for her in the long run, so you can continue to feed her and she can continue to thrive. Thinking of you and good luck.

Mum of 2 boys - it is important to get the tongue tie ruled out or fixed. Your DD is only going to get stronger, which may increase her nipple-mangling ability if it's not fixed.
    All the best for today!

Thanks minny. I think it is a combination of comfort and hunger. It's just that I normally bf after dinner and he hangs on for ages! But he rarely cuddles during the day - in fact he is never one for hugs, unlike his brother who was a big sooky. I guess he gets his comfort other ways. Lucky me .

All the best mumof2boys. You should NOT feel guilty!

m2boys - breastfeeding has to work for BOTH of you. Really hope things go well with the surgeon.

Lenny - IS this always or a new thing? It may be a spike in separation anxiety and this is how he's coping. Or he's just super-charging his hugging quotient.

No go at the oral surgeon it's all tissue holding her tongue down, she doesn't have a frenulum at all. He can't cut into the tissue without the possibility of hitting a vein and if that happened their is a possibility she could bleed to death, so it's just to dangerous. He said the movement in her tongue isn't too bad but her tongue is quite short which is why it doesn't extend past her gums. Basically he can't do anything, she just has a strange tongue, and feeding will most likely always be difficult.

I honestly don't know where that leaves us. I guess I either have to just suck up the pain and put up with it or feed her ebm out of a bottle.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast