Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding when pregnant Chatter Thread

Welcome ubba, I have stalked that thread too but I am 17th July so just waiting for that one to appear, as expecting to go late again, and dont want to be last one waiting to give birth! Just realised DD gave me big scratches this morning on BBs so maybe she is not so happy with supply at mo. Am sleeping badly which does not help, I don't remember having symptoms this early last time. Waiting for docs to phone me back, most frustrating - normally work goes really quick but today is taking forever.

Docs confirmed pregnancy HCG - 600 on day 30 from LMP - so all looking good, and my endocrinologist has been in touch about what to do with my thyroid levels now - so that is all sorted. DD funny on BF'ing tonight, but it is hot here in MEL and hasn't been hot for ages so is probably just that.

...where jumping on the bed is mandatory!

Hi ladies, i have posted here before, but not for a while, i have read back over a few of the posts and sounds like everyone is doing well. DD is down to three feeds a day, morning, afternoon sleep and night sleep. and none over night. We are about to start working on not feeding to sleep anymore, ive been talking to her about me feeding her then putting her to bed and just sitting by the bed and holding her hand while she goes to sleep and she seems ok with that idea, so we will see how that goes, eventually my plan is to move further away from the bed and out the door!!!

I had a question and thought id pose it here..... i was wondering if tandem feeding your toddler could lower your chances of mastitus?! my logic was that when newborn the baby cant drain the milk properly all the time...being so little or maybe your attachment isnt quite right etc, but if you have your profesional BFing toddler feeding too and draining the milk properly would this help avoid mastitus...just thinking of other advantages?

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Hi all I thought I would post in here and say Hi as I did post when you started thread but then got lost in the 2 weeks lost of all posts!

I have a 28 month old and a 10 month old (tomorrow). I BF through all my preg with DS2 and I am tandem feeding my boys.

SO can answer any questions you have on being worried or just curious about.

Hi! I wish I'd seen this thread earlier, we've just had DS2 arrive (nearly 4weeks ago). We breastfed all through the pregnancy and didn't look like weaning at any stage even though millkwise there was almost nothing at times. DS was just very committed..and needed boob to go to sleep.I found having such a big boy on my boobs while pregnant quite irritating a lot of the time though. Gotta go but yes beckoes DS came in handy when i was engorged! And he loved to help out!!

May as well stick my head in here - nice to see you Shanti and Heaven! I'm currently about 8 wks along and DS is 25 months and still going! I do have the tender nipples thing, some days worse than others, but usually if I can get through the first few minutes it's not so bad. He is still a bedtime, naptime, and morning feeder, and will sometimes amp up the feeds during the day and wake at night for them if he's sick. But so far so good!

Hi everyone, how are we all going?

So, we are quite close to weaning - though whether it will be me or DS that makes that final decision I'm not sure. The only time DS might have booby now is either before his day sleep, or before bed, and even when he does it's not for long. I think the sensitive nipples you girls were talking about have kicked in here, and TBH I am really not enjoying feeding DS anymore. Seriously, I'm in his room feeding him, but my toes are curling and I'm pulling some pretty interesting facial expressions. I get him off as soon as I possibly can, and if I can, I avoid feeding him. I never thought I would get to the point where I felt this way, but the way it feels now just makes me skin crawl!
    DS is coping fine with less feeds though - it seems to be only when he's overtired or already grumpy that he demands a feed, otherwise he can mention it, but not care either way if he has one or not. We have had a few days here and there where he hasn't had a feed at all. Considering how often he was feeding and how demanding he was about having booby when he asked for it a few months ago before I fell pregnant, now he seems fairly indifferent to having it! He still loves having cuddles and kisses though .
    I always wanted to get to at least 2 years b/f with DS, but I honestly don't know if it will happen unless the sensitive nipples go away. Maybe if I start getting colostrum and DS is actually taking something from me... maybe it will start feeling normal again . I'm really torn - I don't want to force weaning on DS and I'd really like to get to 2 years with him, but he's barely feeding now and I'm really not enjoying it anymore. I think I could probably wean him completely without too much trouble... but I think I'd always feel bad about it... oh I don't know!!!

So, after talking about how sensitive my nipples were feeling and how I didn't think I'd be able to go on with it feeling like that... well, it stopped feeling so bad, but, now I think DS may have weaned on his own anyway.
    I didn't push anything on DS, I haven't been offering a feed, but he hasn't been asking either. Today will be day 5 of no booby. I mean, he could still ask for it maybe - but he's gone this many days without even thinking of it or mentioning it, so this could just be it.
    I think what may have helped it happen was that I was no longer feeding him to sleep - he'd sometimes have a little feed before bed, but it wasn't for long, and then he was getting himself off to sleep anyway.

If this is it, I think I'm okay with it. He has been gradually weaning for a while now, so it's not some sudden shock. The main reason I feel okay with it too, is that he did it on his own. I never refused if he asked, the most I did was cut his feeds short when my nipples were feeling very sensitive. And now he has gone this many days without asking for it, and he is coping just fine. He's not clingy, he's not upset - he is his usual, happy self . So, all that certainly helps. I'm a little disappointed we didn't make it to 2 years, but I guess with there being no milk for so long, DS finally gave up trying, lol. And anyway, who knows - he may make a comeback when Twinkle arrives...

I hope everyone else is doing well - it's been very quiet in here.

My nipples are a bit sensitive but not too bad - just like they were when first breastfeeding that is all. DD seems to have become obsessed with holding them since I got pregnant - and wants her hand down my top all the time. She often kisses them before and after a feed now too which she never did before. Sometimes she refuses the first side, then takes the second then will go back to the first - so her feeding has changed since I got pregnant but not sure if she is less interested or not - she has never really demanded anyway and I think if I stopped offering she would give it up - but am not ready to stop offering yet.

Sterla - Sounds like your DS is doing well - I have also always thought 2 years but I think if I get to March time will be happy.

Well, it's been 7+ days - I think it may be safe to say that DS has weaned.

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...wn-150435.html

Sterla - awwww... bittersweet! Sounds like it was the right thing to happen for now, and like you say - who knows what'll happen when the next one comes?

We're still going on... he went most of last week without asking for a feed during the day at all, then suddenly went back to three or four - that's typical him though, does things at his own pace and schedule. I don't know that hes actually getting much at all though - I paid attention last night to his feed, and it was a lot of sucking and very little swallowing. I still see milk inside the nipple shields though (yes, we still use them - long story) so I know there's something in there...

A question do your boobs change in size much if bf when pregnant? Just wondering when I should expect any increase if any - went from a DD to a H with DD 1 but are pretty much back to DD now. I seem to remember them growing pretty early last time but just wondering what might happen this time.

Hi all!

Sterla- Congrats! What a great achievement BF for this long and through a pregnancy and with nipple shields the whole time too!! And a great ending with DS weaning himself! It's not long until bubs comes, I wonder if DS will remember BF and what he will think of the new bub having his boobies, lol!

wysiwyg- My boobs deflated when I got pregnant, lol. Because my milk supply went way down. And then in early second tri they grew again like when I was pg with DD!

Still going the same here. DD still having 3 feeds a day, unless she's busy and we're out or something. Don't see her weaning any time soon now that there's some colostrum there. After christmas though I think I might try and cut out 1 or 2 feeds slowly. Depending how it goes and how hard it is to get her to sleep, lol. Would be easier if she was only having 1 feed a day when the new baby comes along I reckon.

Sterla - My personal goal is to get to 2 years, but I've said for a while now that if DS make the choice to wean, then while I would be a little saddened to lose that special part of our relationship, I would be happy that he had made the decision himself. I think it's safe to say that you have done a wonderful job for as long as your little one wanted

Vic - Like Heaven, my BB's shrunk when my milk supply dropped. They now seem to be bigger again, but not "full" feeling like when pregnant with DS. He seems to suck the life out of them and they remain a little deflated looking, lol!

We're still going here and Kyson is still loving it. He has between 1 and 3 feeds a day in general. Sometimes a "feed" consists of him climbing up on the bed when I'm getting changed and have my top off, sucking for 20-30 seconds each side (sometimes swapping back and forth haha), and then jumping down. He still gets a giddy, happy look when he gets his "mama milk" Even when feeding he stops, looks up at me smiling and repeats "mama mk doo", which for him means "mama milk drink". Lol, we still have no idea why he calls a drink "doo".

Oh, thought I'd also mention that the sensitivity in my nipples has increased quite a bit again and one side in particular can be a bit painful during feeds. Still nothing like it used to be though thankfully!!!

Hi all...

sterla...you have done an amazing job feeding your ds! You should be so proud.

I agree with the others about boob size. I went down to a c cup early this pg, but am back up to a dd now. I have colostrum, and tender breasts a lot.

I am still feeding to sleep, but no other times. I feed her for a set time and then she rolls over and goes to sleep. Some days I use the pram for her day sleep so I only have to feed once a day.

I am starting to consider tandem feeding because I find feeding to sleep waaaay too convenient!!

Are others planning to continue?

I'm definitely hoping to tandem feed Arcadia. I'm hoping it will be a lovely bonding experience for the babies (yup, ds is still my "baby", lol). Fingers crossed ds doesn't find it frustrating that bub gets to feed more than him...

Thanks girls .

I didn't notice any change in my cup sizes... they went from massive to massive *sigh*, LOL

I had hoped to tandem feed... and you never know, DS may decide he wants in again when he sees Twinkle feeding!

Hi ladies, may I join here? I have just found out I am pregnant with #2, very early only 4 or 5 weeks. What actually triggered me to take the test was that DD refused to feed from me. She did that last cycle (my first AF since her birth) but only when AF arrived, not before. I've just been letting DD go without her BF's as I only BF her morning and night and express for her during the day at work. She refused to BF until tonight when she finally fed - woot woot!! Did anyone else experience this?

I'm also a bit nervous about my supply dropping even though so far it is all good. I have been using fenugreek to boost supply in the past but I read that you shouldn't take this while pregnant. Did anyone else experience a significant drop? When did it happen?

Congratulations on your pregnancies and look forward to getting to know you better.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast