Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding when pregnant Chatter Thread

Starangelk: Firstly, congratulations!!!
    My supply dropped enough that I noticed around 10-12 weeks (I can't remember exactly). DS was sick and rather than wanting to feed all the time like he had in the past, he flat out refused me. I thought he was going to wean there and then, but he didn't - he kept going, but my supply was getting less and less, until I think it got to the point where DS wasn't getting anything. He continued to comfort suck for a little while, but did eventually wean on his own.
    I think supply drop is pretty normal, and it depends on the baby as to whether they'll keep wanting to feed. I know a few girls here had their LOs feed all the way through, even with their supply dropping, and then picking up again when colostrum kicked in.

Hi Guys, I hope you dont mind be posting in here as i am not pregnant but i do have a fear, i guess i am scared that if we do fall pregnant that something will happen to my supply , or DD will want to stop feeding as my milk will change , my most important thing is DD atm and i dont want her to wean or stop feeding if she doesnt have to i want her to do it when she is ready ifkwim? So i guess thats one major thing stopping me from TTC as the money my milk will change..Any Words.thoughts anything would be great

Thanks Sterla - that is pretty comforting I was a bit worried because I mostly express but I am just going to persevere and hope for the best! I'd love to be able to BF/express for her until at least 12 months so that I don't have to use formula but we'll wait and see. Thanks again for your response.

Hi Shell, I will let you know what happens with me as I go through my journey.....totally understand your fear though.

Can we get this stickied please?

I am 10 weeks pg and breastfeeding my 14 month old bub. She has always loved her breastfeeds, would never take EBM from a bottle or cup, and took awhile to get into solids.

My first sign that i was pregnant was a change in her feeding. The same thing happened earlier this year when i had an early miscarriage. She would come off and give me a stra ge look like i had done something to change the milk. Then she seemed to be ok again for a couple of weeks, but i am pretty sure my supply is now dropping. I really don't want to stop BFing yet, she is too little.

Couple of days ago, she was feeding from the right side (used to be the fav). She had a small feed, then came off, poked my nipple and said 'no, no'. I swapped sides and she had a feed from the left. Don't know if it is taste that is different or if there is not enough milk for her.

The other night she also drank 100ml of cow milk from a bottle at night time. THe most she has ever had previously was about 10ml. I am happy that she was ok about drinking it, but sad that my milk wasn't enough. She had been on and off having a bf for an hour or so when i offered the bottle.

My boobs feel heavy like she is coming off before they are empty, but i expressed yesterday (cos bub was away for a few hours) and only got 25ml when i used to get 60-80ml. I know expressing isn;t an indication of how full you are but i felt full (that's why i was expressing) and was dissappointed that i only got that much.

I am going to get ingredients for lactation cookies and give them a go.

Actually, over night she seems to be getting more out. Was working on getting her in to her own bed, but kinda don't want to stop nightfeeds if her day feeds aren't that productive.

How is everyone else going? Any new breastfeeding pregnant people?

HotI, my milk supply reduced dramatically when I was pregnant as well. My son went from 10-12 feeds a day gradually down to 2-3 towards the end. Also, at the end of the pregnancy I don't think I was making much more than colostrum, but my son still wanted to keep going which I was thrilled about.

Once my daughter was born and my milk came in my son has increased his feeds again. Actually, at the moment it's a bit of madness because he's asking for it all the time (sometimes every 10 minutes!). At least it's free and makes him happy, so I just limit him to one side so there's always some there for my daughter. I tend to swap breasts each day because he seems to keep one constantly drained lol.

Also, don't be surprised if you go through a stage where breastfeeding is excruciatingly painful. It's pretty common for your breasts to get really sensitive in pregnancy (as I'm sure you know, lol) but a breastfeeding toddler can make it much worse. Rest assured that it certainly passes though

Hi HotI! It's nice to see you here
    I am bf my 2 yr old and I am 5 wks preg. I haven't noticed any changes yet but I am familiar with this journey as I have breastfed while preg twice before. I am hoping that my DS continues to bf into my third trimester, as my other children did. My supply definitely dropped off both times though. I am not looking forward to the nipple sensitivity that I experienced both times previously. Are lactation cookies effective? What ingredients go in to them?

Hi Mylitta! My DD self-weaned 4 days before my DS was born. When DS was a few weeks old she started asking for milk again. I was happy for her to have occasional feeds, and she did so for about a year (there was a two moth gap between her second last and her last feeds).

Hi Ladies! I am 28 weeks pregnant and BF my 18 month old. Over the past 2-3 months her feeds have increased during the night and day, I did try to night wean her a couple of months ago as she was feeding so much that it was getting rather painful, that has since past and although it no longer hurts it is very draining getting minimal sleep then being unable to sit on the couch during the day without her dragging her pillow over to me while sobbing for a feed. I wonder how she will cope when her little sister arrives as she definately thinks that my boobies are hers!

Hi DD! Oh, I can relate to the tiredness of night feeds while preg. I am still night feeding DS2, but I am hoping to move towards night weaning soon. I consciously night weaned my DS1 when he turned 2 and I was 4 months preg. We had been co-sleeping until then. I moved him in to a room with my DD, which he was excited about. He woke the first few nights and my DH would settle him. He continued to bf during the day until 6 weeks before his little brother was born.

Woohoo, there are a few of us!

Mylitta, oh yeah, got sensitive nipples now. Still coping ok, but i'm not up for any marathon feeding sessions atm. She has been cutting down feeds slowly since 12 months, but was still having 8+ a day. I would love to be able to keep DD interested til my milk bumps up again.

*Ash* i will post the link to the cookies, i've never made them before but thought i'd give them a go. just have to get to melbourne to find a health store for couple of ingredients.
    http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...supply-116517/

DD, there is a post on page 2 i think where someone practised feeding a doll to prepare their older child for when baby arrives and they might have to wait for feeds.

Thanks for the link HotI. I have read most of the comments. Most people seem to think they are effective. They are definitely worth a try at least once. I don't eat eggs so will just sustitute- they are not a vital ingredient anyway.

i think Audax uses egg replacement in hers.

Hi girls!! I'm almost 19weeks pregnant and feeding DS who is 12months.

I think my supply decreased for a while, but now my boobs are starting to feel really heavy and full again. I also don't think it bothered DS too much, as he hasn't gone off it. There are days when he will go 8hrs between feeds, then some days he wants to feed every 2hrs! But I think it just depends on how busy he is and the days he is feeding constantly he is clingy and wanting lots of mummy cuddles.

My nipples are all over the place, being okay one feed to super sensitive the next and it is making feeding 'fun' I have also noticed that when DS feeds for what seems like ages, I get a lot of cramping like when they first start to breastfeed and your uterus contracts. Does anyone know if this is an issue whilst pregnant? I don't want to cause bub any unnecessary discomfort

I am also copping (indirectly via DH letting me know) [email protected] from PILs about still feeding DS, moreso since being pregnant. Apparently I'm not getting fat enough I was 65kg when I fell pregnant, and now I'm 62kg - which I'm assuming is a combination of breastfeeding, morning sickness and no appetite. When I fell pregnant with DS, I was 69kg and put on maybe 10kg max and that was all in the last 6weeks, and lost all bar 3kg when he was born.

Anyway, if you made it through all that, hi

Ooo forgot there was a thread for this!

I'm almost 12 weeks pregnant and breastfeeding my 27 month old DD. I was worried recently about a supply drop when DD didn't poo for two days -- freaked out she was getting constipated because I was running low on milk and she was going to dehydrate as it is her main source of liquid but the next day she did two HUGE normal poos so who knows, definitely not constipated though! Just one of the many reasons for loving the booby juice; DD has never been constipated, even when she went through a fussy 'I will only eat bread, pasta, noodles, potato' phase haha.

I would be happy for my DD to wean during pregnancy as she has had a really good run, my goal was always around 2yrs so anything now is a bonus but if she chooses to continue then that is okay with me too. As we approach 12 weeks I am starting to wonder how my DD will react if there is a supply drop; less interest or more interest in the hope of encouraging more milk production!! My nipples are definitely experiencing sensitivity, especially in this cold weather... it feels like when we just started out, uncomfortable for a bit when first attached but generally improves as the feed continues.

We are still feeding a bunch overnight (her bed is in my room and she usually ends up in my bed at some point) and a couple of times during the day generally; just following a 'don't offer, don't refuse' kind of motto. It would be good for her to at least night wean before the next bub arrives and I might try to encourage that by moving her bed next door at some point, just logistically it will be tricky trying to night feed two but I'm sure whatever happens we will make it work. DD still feeds to sleep but has started sleeping through here and there so thinking that she might be less disturbed by me coming to bed etc if she is in the next room and waking might be a less frequent accurance. The main problem at the moment is if she does wake once, she is generally 'on the milks' on and off for the rest of the night because she is right there in bed with them so might start by just trying to move her back to her own bed after wake ups and see how we go.

I'm feeling way more exhausted this pregnancy but I think that is just having a toddler to run after and get up to overnight rather than the breastfeeding. DD doesn't have day sleeps which I'm really missing at the moment, could use a few day sleeps myself!

Sorry for the huge 'all about me post', am going to go back over the thread to catch up a little now. Hope everyone is going well

UntoldAngel - My obstetrician recommended that I wean my son when I was pregnant with my daughter. He said the risk after 12 weeks of pregnancy was that the uterus develops the receptors that react to oxytocin and causes the uterus to contract. Because you release oxytocin when you breastfeed the risk is that you cause mild contractions and it can result in pre-term labour, late miscarriage etc. Being an obstetrician he has to worry first and foremost about the baby in my tummy, whereas, as a mother we have to worry about the wellbeing of both our babies. My DH would have been happy either way (he was so proud of how long I'd already breastfed anyway), but I decided to keep breastfeeding my son after doing a lot of research. I figured that every time I give my son a hug, or a kiss, or even just look at him, I'm making oxytocin anyway, so the added amount from breastfeeding didn't seem like it would pose much of an added risk, and the benefit of continued breastfeeding seemed to outweight the very tiny risk in my eyes. In the end my daughter was born at 37w5d which was actually a day longer than my son who was born at 37w4d.

As for "not putting on enough weight", well that makes me laugh. In both pregnancies I lost a rather large amount of weight before I started to put it back on. Yes breastfeeding takes extra nutrients from you, BUT I also find that breastfeeding makes you more conscience about your food and water intake.

I must admit that I thought this extra 3kg I still have would have disappeared faster seeing as I'm breastfeeding a baby on demand and a toddler almost hourly at the moment! LOL! I guess I'll still have to do a little *gulp!* exercise...

This sucks. my supply is really down, and my little one is getting frustrated. i hate that i can't give her what she wants/needs. She doesn't want to feed as often, and is wanting more than i have when she does feed.

But her night sleeps have been longer - is this related? Her feeds in bed are probably better than the day ones, maybe she is happier to stay on hoping more will come out?

i hope supply picks up because i really don't want to wean yet. i feel so sad at the prospect, especially cos the feeding has changed so much just in a month.

HotI my supply seemed to drop at 10 weeks too, but ds seems to bw a lot more satisfied now and my boobs are feeling a lot heavier. Hang in there

Had anyone else noticed their boobs are super sore? I have checked his attachment and there is no issue, but I cam be in excruciating pain for the feed I've also noticed if I am cold, our walk in the fridge section at the shops my boobs get really sore and I walk around holding them to relieve the pain

Sorry phone did a double post

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast