Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to return to BF

morgan78 Guest

Just a quick question to those in the know how long would i take Blessed Thistle (capsules) for - the lady at the health food store was a little on the dopey side and had no idea

Still going hard at this and yesterday DD had 100ml less formula than normal but was still fairly well settled

Morgan, you sound like you're doing a fabulous job - well done!

Just a note on the Blessed Thistle. It has not been shown to have any great effect at increasing low milk supply. Taken in conjunction with Fenugreek it might have some effect, but not alot. And on it's own it's not worth it.

I only found this out at a seminar the other day, wish I had known earlier, I took the stuff for 9 months LOL. I never really felt that it was helping me, but I was too scared to stop in case it was . Well, when I stopped taking it I noticed no difference.

I think Fenugreek would work better, but you need to take about 3000mg/day. Make sure you get the 1000mg capsules, not the 600mg.

Good luck hun, and here's to not needing any supplements at all!

Morgan - I hope you're having better luck with the chomping today! Just a tip - make sure DD is correctly attached at each bf and if it starts to hurt, take her off and carefully reattach her. It shouldn't hurt you and it would be awful to go backwards now you've come this far!

Good luck!

morgan78 Guest

Thanks Jennifer she seems to have got the hang of it again except if shes tired then shes a little lazy but i have been removing & reattaching.

Janie - i could of got the 1000mg Fenugreek tabs but it said nothing on it about milk wheras the Blessed Thistle says that it is for that - well will keep taking them for now & will try the others next payday (thurs) - cheers for the tip tho

morgan78 Guest

Well have had the LC come and visit and she is really happy with how things are going.
    She recommended that i take Motilicim (sp?) to improve milk supply - does this stuff work any better than herbal remedies???
    Also she wants to see 180-200gm of weight increase a week is this a lot i thought that around 150g would be normal??

Yep, Motilium is an anti-nausea drug that also increases prolactin levels. Most people find that it works very well. I took it for almost 7 months, and found that it worked very well for me. Most people only need it for a short period of time though, maybe a month or so. The idea is to wean off it VERY slowly. I would still take your herbal remedies as well.

180-200g does seem like a bit, but maybe there is a reason behind it. Has you baby been putting on much weight up until now?

This is just so awesome - hope you don't mind if I quote your situation to anyone who finds themselves in the pickle you were in...seems like ages ago now, doesn't it? It was a close call, though, so good to read about you back from the brink
    I know people for whom motilium is the reason they are still BFing - and like Janie says, you may not need to take it for the rest of the time you are BFing.
    Howzat? Now you're a shining 'example'

morgan78 Guest

Janie - Vicky had only gained 900g over the first two months which was the reason we put her on FF - i got so stressed out about it and instead of getting in LC knee jerked reacted . Anyway in the 2 weeks of being completely FF she gained 1.2kg so is now looking like a little buddha.

Mayaness - Thank you so much for your post it came at a perfect time to as we had a pear shaped morning today - the joys of having a 2yr old boy at home as well - & please feel free to quote away if it helps even just one other woman it would be wonderful. BF so important in so many different ways and i know that there is many women out there who dont realise that relactating is possible and then live with the guilt of having FF for a very long time - i know i did with DS. But it is not easy to do and without the support of people like yourself and everyone else here on BB i wouldn't be doing it. So thank you again
    And thank you to everyone else

And just a general woohoo - i got letdown 3 times today

Quote Originally Posted by morgan78 View Post
    And just a general woohoo - i got letdown 3 times today
    Well done Morgan! Sounds like you are on track.

Wow Morgan, you are doing a GREAT job. Well done.

Hi, Morgan,

It seems like you are doing a great job. Good on you for giving it another go, seeing an LC and so on. funnily, 900g in 8 weeks isn't too bad. You would expect her to lose 10% of her birthweight and regain it in 2 weeks - so, I would tend to think that she has gained 900g in 6 weeks if you know what I mean.

Michael, women can relactate at any age. Women who adopt babies can produce mil, even if they've never had a biological child. And if they don't, there is more to breastfeeding than just milk - so it's still worth while.

Warm Regards
    Barb

Quote Originally Posted by Barb Glare View Post

Michael, women can relactate at any age. Women who adopt babies can produce mil, even if they've never had a biological child. And if they don't, there is more to breastfeeding than just milk - so it's still worth while.

Warm Regards
    Barb
    Barb, I stand corrected.

I think what I was getting at is that I've heard that up until 6 months, the process is considerably easier. But of course, you are right, I have heard of women who have adopted a baby and have lactated.

morgan78 Guest

just another update
    Today Vicky has dropped from having 880 - 1000ml of formula a day when she was being FF to 660ml today & 9 BF's and has so far been asleep since 7pm. the last feed she actually had half a bottle and then refused it but jumped back on the boob for half an hour and went to sleep - i love her so much & i know she is loving me doing this for her.

Congrats! That's fantastic that your doing that you should definitely be proud of yourself!!

you're a gun!! She sure is thanking you, and she will later, too

Congrates Morgan and Vicky, what a great job.

I have been trying all week to re-introduce breastfeeding but my little miss just won't take to it at all.

Bekz, from what I understand, it's more miss than hit with relactation, and it takes some perseverance...sometimes with the goal remaining unattained. In that case, you can always tell your kids later that you gave it a red hot go!! Look, if you don't achieve it, you did what you knew to be best at the time, given all the information you had at that time - no-one can ask for more than that, can they? Meanwhile, keep us posted with how you go and be kind to yourself :hugs:
    The ABA forum has got a section for relactation, and you can also call a counsellor about it, too, if the going gets tough (though I suspect, Barb, that the counsellor on the phone might refer a caller to you!), to chat to others who have tried and succeeded/not succeeded. Just remember that it's not only a matter of you wanting it badly enough - there's a kid with a volition of their own, and some just decide they won't be going back. There's only so much you can control.
    Thinking of you both

morgan78 Guest

I just wanted to update and thank everyone for their support.

We are now just passed the 6 months and we are still BF (although not fully)

I know that if i could have dedicated all my time to DD for a couple of days when we reestablished we would of kicked the bottles completely, but it wasn't possible so i have been able to accept that at least she is getting some of my breastmilk and we will keep going as long as possible. Bring on 12 months.

Thank you again to the lovely ladies who offered me their support & wisdom.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast