Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Caesarean General Chatter & Discussion #6

Yep I agree with the others. You actually have to be sitting upright for the spinal / epidual to go in so nothing to see there. When I had to be shaved the only on there was the female midwife, so I don't see why you couldn't request that. Then as the others said, the anaesthetist sits just by your head while the operation is going on so you can tell him if there are any concerns during the op. The screen is up the entire time and I am quite sure he wouldn't be able to see anything.

Have you thought about looking into whether there would be a female anaesthetist in your hospital?? You never know!

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Helen - maybe you can request to catheterised in the ward -that was when I most exposed and I understand it isn't the most pleasant experience . I was shaved my MW in the ward before I went for my c/s actually - but only to just below the bikini line not further down.

When I had the spinal -my bottom was exposed at first -till I think they over the sterile drape.You can request for those paper undies maybe to cover you up.

If it for religious reasons you can maybe ring the hospital and speak to someone to advise them of your special needs.

Just a quick Q - does anyone else's scar get itchy? Mine was itching heaps ther other day & I was so embarrassed because I thought it looked like I was scratching somewhere else It's not all the time either...

Melinda Guest

Linda - yep, mine did for quite some time actually.

hhhmmmm,....any ideas on how to scratch it discreetly? LOL

Thanks guys for all your help. I had an ob appointment today and had a talk to her about it. She said that she will make sure that they put the screen up straight away to help me conceal myself and that she will get the midwife to do the shave up on the ward. She also let me know that she will do the cathetar which doesnt take very long and then cover me with the cloth thingys. She completely understood and was fine about it. She even rang the hospital to let them know my worries and to make sure that I have a female midwife. Apparently there is a male midwife working at the hospital where I am having bubs.
    Also DH apologised for making me feel bad about it all. He said that he understood that I feel extremely uncomfortable but that he knows that he shouldnt be making me feel bad for his feelings about the matter. He also has fears about a c/s and has let me know that they are his fears and if I need to talk about how I am feeling then I can feel free to talk to him about it without thinking that I am making him worried etc.
    So I think he got the message that he upset me a bit and he is being an angel now. I feel a lot better and more confident about having a c/s now.

Again thank-you for all of your help, it has been without a doubt needed and very much appreciated. Roll on 17aug.

Linda-sorry sont know how you can itch without looking obvious. Maybe just rub against a few things, or bump into them. LOL

Love

Linda - My scar still gets itchy and I had my c/s almost 7 years ago. I also find that if I brush against the bench while doing the dishes or if DH gets in too close for a cuddle, that it irritates my scar quite a bit as well.

Nic

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

helen - glad you got it all sorted out - bring on the 17th and you get to meet your bubba.

Melinda Guest

So glad you got it all worked out Helen. I know the male midwife that your OB, Lisa, is talking about - I had him at the HPH also on a couple of occasions.

Just an interesting thing for you guys to chat about -I would be interested in your feedback without it turning into the whoel VBAC debate!
    One of the women in my mothers group is pregnant, and its her second. She's very small and exceptionally fit (is a personal trainer) and her last baby was 8lb2oz which isn't huge by any means, but then isn't small either!
    Anyway, she went into labour naturally, but had all sorts of trouble and ended up with a c/s for various reasons. I should also mention she's 40.
    So this pregnancy she went to her OB for the pregnancy confirmation, and she asked about another c/s or vaginal birth. Apparently on her file she has this written "VBAC - *NON NEGOTIABLE*" He has told her he only does this to remind himself next time that there is no option of VBAC.
    Do you think thats interesting? Not that she really, really cares, as this will likely be her last (she will be 41 at the birth) but do you think that its really non-negotiable, or perhaps with another OB there might be another opinion?

I think another OB may have another opinion, but it can do with the incision as well. If say it was a life or death minute by minute c/s and they had to make a cut without planning they could have done the incision differently which would mean that they wouldn't allow a VBAC afterwards. Maybe recommend she read "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth" by Henci Goer for information on everything related to birth. It never hurts to have a second opinion, that way if they say the same thing, than it will be easier to accept emotionally too.

Hi,
    Thought i would put my experience forth regarding c/s.
    I had to have a c-section after 15hours of labour and my cervix has still not began dialating. When Ob told me this i burst into tears. Never in a million years did i think i would have to have a c/s. I cried so much i made DH cry. He was just supporting me and upset at how upset i was.
    Anyway i was taken into a room to get the epidural put in while my husband was taken to get his overalls etc.... so for this time i was alone... I was having gas when i had contractions but naturally this was taken away. I had to go through 4-5 contractions with no pain relief (which was what i was getting used to) and no support. Oh and thought i might wet myself because i needed to pee.
    once it was in i felt no pain. But i also felt so tired (because had laboured since 1am and was now about 4.30pm)
    After Nixon was born i didnt see him much, mainly because he was premmie. taken into recovery room was a loney feeling...
    The worst was yet to come though, the epi started to wear off i think and i started feeling the most intense pain in my life. It took almost an hr to get it under control, the whole time i was moaning, crying, screaming, i just wanted them to put me to sleep or i thought i would die i was in so much pain..... so because of all that i was not allowed to go to see my son in NICU that night and the following day i could barely even stand to move to the wheel chair.
    it wasnt until the following day i could start to shuffle but even then just felt like i had been hit by a truck.

just my two cents by why anyone would elect to have a c/s before trying vaginal or for medical reasoning is beyond me. However now i am faced with the fact that i prob will need a c/s for any future children.....

Helen- glad the Ob etc have been caring to your needs, that must feel very re assuring to know they will meet your needs on the day. Good luck for the 17th wow so close now!

Helen, very relieved for you that everything is now sorted out. Thinking of you for the 17th.

Nickers - I know choosing a c/section seems beyond comprehension but oddly the reasons I elected to have one right off is that I wanted to avoid finding myself in a situation like yours. I knew when I chose to do it that most people wouldn't understand it and I didn't expect them to.

I had watched my sister go through a failed induction, ending in caesarean and saw how exhausted and devastated she was. Her next caesarean was elective and I noticed how different the whole experience was. She was up and about straight away and recovered well. When I found myself looking down the barrel of an induction under similar circumstances, I felt my choice was clear cut. I believed I knew myself and knew what my recuperative capacity was and I was proved right. There was nothing traumatic or difficult about the procedure or the recovery and I remain happy with that decision.

The other thing was that the baby was much much bigger than expected ... nobody had any idea before he was born. It was only once he was out that I realised what would have happened if I had decided to try induction first. I don't know if that helps any, but it's just one reason why someone might elect to do a c/sec rather than go the other option.

Interesting conversation girls! Well i'd have to agree with Nic based on my own personal experience and feelings towards my c/s. I would be extremely disappointed if i discovered that a VBAC was Non-negotiable in my next preg!!!!!!!! Perhaps it does have to do with the incision but i'm sure this woman would like an explanation...it is her body afterall! If it's not a big issue then ok - but if she did desire the opportunity to try a VBAC she should get a 2nd opinion.

Helen - best wishes for the 17th...will be thinking of u
    Linda - yeah my scar definately gets itchy at times. If i'm wearing a belt i just pretend to be adjusting it - lol.

I actually saw her today at our Best and Less opening in town. She knows the area manager so she got us some freebies and stuff - it was pretty neat!
    Anyway - she says because of her age she's not going to push the issue. She's OK with it, and she knows she will be haivng her baby without all the stress from last time. I keep remembering what Sarah and Christy have said about going through one labour, and then doing it all again, and I think she just wants to keep it simple. So thats her right, but interesting anyway huh?

Very interesting Fi. I personally am fighting tooth & nail to try for a natural VBAC this time, but I am still fearful of being devestated as I was last time. I have fear not of anything going wrong, but that if it happens and I need another c/s.

A quick question ladies. Will I be able to wear my glasses into theatre? I am short sighted and would freak out if I couldnt see things around me properly. I wont even go to the pool without another adult as I panic.

Plus I need to see the baby when it is delivered.

Love

Helen, I have no idea! I don't see why not? But have never thought about it before.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast