Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Caesarean General Chatter & Discussion #7

Oh Monnie.. I am sooo sorry you had that reaction... that is just horrid...

I would be totally making a complaint about that... She sounds like a witch...

I would say a majority of c-sects are not what the mum wants..... & if it is... so what... i would have told her where to go grrrr...... 40 ppl in the room or not... she needs a good talking to..... tell me her name & I will fly over & sort the witch out

ETA... I was not strapped to the table either... I did have to wear the stockings (there is a history of blood clots in my family though) & you couldnt see them under my trackies & they kept my legs warm LOL...

DH was dressed like the surgeons.. I was a bit worried when he asked for gloves to... eh oh... hehehe... but luckily for me he was only allowed to watch the op & not help!!!
    Last edited by *mitch*; June 13th, 2007 at 01:37 PM.

Oh Monnie! What an awful experience! I agree with Mitch - I would also be making a complaint.
    The classes run by my hospital didn't even include c-sect - you had to go to a seperate session on those! During our session, the midwife actually said that she wasn't going to discuss a c-sect because none of us would ever need one! Yes - you read correctly! Guess what - I had an emergency c-sect! Talk about setting women up for a fall

I believe her jokes to be totally inappropriate! If it makes you feel better - I was not strapped to the table. The hats are an infection control thing, I didn't have to wear those stockings, and DH did not wear a boiler suit! The stockings will depend on your surgeon (they don't all make you wear them and it will depend on if you are considered a high risk for DVT's), and the boiler suit is dependent on the surgical attire and protocol the hospital has in place. Some have this "rule" where only the male surgeons wear the boiler suits! My DH wore typical scrub pants and top.

I'm glad you stood your ground and made it clear it was your Ob requesting the c-sect. You have no reason to be ashamed and the mid is wrong to place judgement - espeically in such a public forum! I really would consider placing a complaint about her - you don't have to do it now, you can wait until after you have had your baby if you wish.

Huge hugs to you!

MG

Aww Monnie That's just disgraceful IMO & she should be reported. Whether you wanted a c/s or not, she should never ever have made you feel ashamed. That's just so wrong. If you're interested in what actually happens with a c/s, have a look at this article on the main BB site. My story is in there, last one It's a much nicer read than what you had to deal with last night.

ETA: No stockings here either! I'm not sure what a boiler suit is but Aaron just had to wear blue nurse/doctor type pants & top.

monnie thats totally unacceptable. Personally if I were you and you were able to I would change hospitals.. A complaint would most definetly be made as well. c.s can be just as relaxing as a natural delivery. there are plenty of threads on here about how others have gone.

I only had to wear stockings with my 2nd delivery no idea why and actually they kept my legs warm and I have never been strapped to the bed.. Also a cap is nice cus it kept my head warm

:hugs: same here was not strapped down well not that I remember Jase wore his own clothes and had a cap and slipper things on, I had to wear stockings well I wasn't told I had too till it was too late, I had swelling which may have been controlled by wearing the stocking for a while OH well

anyway I would be putting in a complaint, I was not too posh to push, but I was having a elective c-sect (dr reason) which ended being a induction followed by emergency c-sect, I will be having a elective next time

grrrrrrrrrr I would have stood up said what I thought and walked out

Rach: Jack looks cold in that water might update your ticker picture.. one of the pics you sent me today would go nicely.. where he is all rugged up and warm

ok bossy miss

I will update later just to please his aunty Nic

Hi All,
    Thanks for the info re: bleeding after c/s. I will go and get some maternity pads and also regular ones too. I am not a heavy bleeder (when i had my periods), so i'll get some of both.
    Re: the catheter. I will ask for the catheter to be inserted after the epidural. The reason i am just so chicken about the cathether is that i suffered severe UTI's for about 2 years before having an operation (which cured it) and am absolutely frightened about anything having to do with my bladder and me getting another UTI. I'll try and be braver this time around.

Monnie- I can't believe that midwife! Midwifes are there to care for us, not humiliate us for whichever birth option we choose or a recommended to have. So, if i was you, like all the other girls suggested i too would put in a complaint with the hospital. She has no right. I am so furiated! I too, was not strapped or had to wear stockings and can't remember my mum (who came into the op theatre) having to wear a suit. Even if all the above had to happen, it is for health reasons, not for entertainment.
    Trust us Monnie, you will be fine, all will go alright, be optimistic. Hug and kisses.

Take care all.

Monnie, so sorry to hear about your horrible experience. For what it's worth, it sounds like the midwife is profoundly uncomfortable with the theatre environment and was glossing over it to make herself feel better. I would recommend speaking to the boss of the midwives at the hospy to air your concerns - as the last thing any woman needs is someone being flippant.

Sehra, I understand if you have a history of UTIs that you'd be worried about it. Asking for it after the epidural is good, but also maybe speak to the drs about it before the procedure as they might like to give you some preventative antibiotics or something, given your history. Even if they don't, you will have had your concerns heard and hopefully a useful reply from the dr.

Sehra, just so you know, you do not have to have the catheter. I know it's pretty much unheard of and it probably does make things easier afterwards but I had my c section without a cathertar ever going near me. I had specified too that if I had one it was to go in after the epi, but in recovery when I asked the nurses if I had one she told me no. So yep, it is possible.

Those comments were totally uncalled for, I would be making a complaint, To assume that you were 'too posh to push' is completely inappropriate. It should not matter why you are having a section, those reasons are between you and your OB. I am of the understanding that all health care workers are there to give you the most positive birth experience possible. That sort of rubbish is wrong and only serves to make the mum feel bad which may lead to problems down the track. Sorry to pop in but I just thought I would have a 'sticky beak' and I just had to butt in.

In a section you may have a sheet tucked around your legs to stop them falling off the bed, because you can't feel them, plus the bed is on a tilt. Stockings may or may not be worn depending on surgeon's preferences and your history. Definately ask for the catheter to be inserted after the spinal. You may have arm boards out each side, it may be easier to have one arm straight as you will have a drip, but it all depends where it is positioned. Hats are for infection control as someone said, maybe she was trying to lighten the mood with her comments but it sounds like she had the opposite effect for some. Everyone has to do what is best for them and their baby and it needs to be made as positive as possible.

Anyway, rant over, some midwives really should think about what they say and how it affects others

Thanks so much guys

Your responses were so supportive...

I'm feeling much better about it all now...had a little time to process it...

I think the midwife was probably trying to be 'funny'...which lots of people found funny...but because of our situation, we didn't find it funny at all...just insensitive.

Thankfully we go back to our normal midwife next week...she's a little more boring, but at least she's sensitive...

I think that sometimes it's easy to become flippant in something you see every day...without realising that it's a huge deal for some people...

I'm so glad I found this thread...thanks so much for your support and sharing your experiences...it's made a huge difference just to feel validated!

Thanks guys!

I've got another question...

I've been reading a book about c-sections and one of the things it talks about is trying to make the whole experience less medical and more personalised...

...things like asking to have the lights dimmed, having your own music playing in the background, having skin-to-skin contact as soon as possible, lowering the screen, etc...

Has anyone ever had any luck in these requests being listened to?

And...who would you negotiate this with? Your Ob.? Head midwife?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by monnie; June 15th, 2007 at 12:12 PM.

I think if you don't have a catheter you are more prone to get a UTI. I didnt have one for my first c-section and ended up with a shocking UTI because you cant get up so you hold for longer and also you cant feel when your bladder is full for a while. I really wanted one for the second and it was all good. Didnt feel it at all and had no UTI. Everyone is different though with what they want.

Monnie, Sorry to hear about your terrible time at your class. Hubby dresses like a surgeon and I wasnt tied to the bed but apparently the bed is sloped (you wont fall out though). I'm assuming you would like to have the baby naturally but if it is not possible I think if you do some reading and know exactly what is going to happen from start to end you will be a lot more relaxed about it. My c-section was a positive experience because I talked to the ob about it and did lots of reading.

We must of been posting at the same time Monnie.

The ob has catered for all our requests. I wanted skin to skin contact and got it. Of course if there are problems with the baby's breathing you wont be able to do this ( which is the same in a natural birth). Hubby wanted to cut the cord and he got to do that. Having bub in recovery is something that a lot of people want. I personally didnt want this but if you do you can ask about that too.

Thanks Linda...that's really helpful...and hopeful!!!

I'm seeing my Ob. in 2 weeks and hope to sit down and talk to him about this...

I've been doing lots of reading too...found this good book called "Delivery by appointment" which is written by an Australian journalist who has had 4 kids via c-section...it's really well balanced...

Thanks again for your advice...

Hi Monnie,
    I'm glad you're feeling a little better about it all. Those requests would be best negotiated with your Ob. I asked a Mid for skin-to-skin contact (emergency c-sect) and got told no due to infection control! What a load of bullocks! LOL. Anyway, ask your Ob - they are essentially in charge in the theatre and, although they do have to have to "abide" by hospital policies, they can essentially "rule the roost" in theatre.
    If your Ob does say you can have skin to skin contact - just be prepared that in the unlikely event that bubs needs immediate attention - you may not get that contact until they are ok (just as would happen in a vaginal delivery).

I hope you get your requests!

MG

Quote Originally Posted by Rach75 View Post
    ok bossy miss

I will update later just to please his aunty Nic
    Thanks I notice you have changed it.. He looks toasty now.. now go give my nephew cuddles

only if you give mine big cuddles
    hope to see ya all next sunday

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast