Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Caesarean General Chatter & Discussion #7

Monnie, What an awful midwife! I would make a complaint about her too!
    As for the birthplan with a c/s, I'm sure there was a thread about that on here somewhere? Brooke, did you have your birthplan written up in that thread? I mean't to print it out, and keep for future reference one day.

Nic

Here's the thread with the C/S birth plans in it:
    http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...ad.php?t=35046

(I book marked it so I can go back to it once I'm feeling ready).

Cheers...thanks Marydean...I'll check it out!

Oh Monnie I really feel for you I know what it's like to be judged for having a c/s it makes me so angre especially when at the end of the day it's about having a healthy baby!
    I had an emergency c/s with my first after expecting I would deliver like a normal mother, I felt like a falure and it took me along time to get over the emotional trauma, I kept going over it in my head wondering what if I did this or this, I've just come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter my son is healthy and that's what matters.
    I went for an elective the second time around and OMG it was such a differnt experience I was calm, prepared, I knew what was going to hapen. When I went to the hospital on D day I had time to settle into my room then prepare for surgury, I was so excited about the birth I don't remember the funny hats it wasn't something that I focused on, I also wasn't strapped to the bed, I was fully concious unlike my emergency-c dh was there I saw baby come out and they turned her around to show me what sex she was. Funny thing is I saw my ob and aneathatist(sp?) and didn't notice the midwives or nurses although they were all brilliant. recovery was so much quicker too.
    All I am trying to say is that it's still a beautiful experience. Planning and educating yourself on c/s is the best thing you can do, I know it'll be a wonderful experience for you if not exactly what you planned.

SamanthaP Guest

A 98% epidural rate and over 50% caesar rate? Sounds like she should be working in another hospital - that is shocking. I'm sorry she made you feel so bad, Monnie, it was obviously her (bad) attempt at humour. However, it must be tough working in a hospital with such high intervention rates and I can imagine it must be quite frustrating to deal with that on a daily basis. However, I don't believe in the 'too posh to push' label at all, that is not on, and definately worth a comment to someone. Women choose to do what is best for them based on information from their ob - whether that is medically indicated or not.

australicat Guest

I have been out of Australia for many years now. When I left, I was all for natural birth and didn't believe in c-sections unless they were absolutely necessary. I think that comes from the general peer pressure that we listen to every day there.

Now, I have a completely different opinion because here in Istanbul, c-sections are the norm. Many expats here request a natural birth, but the doctor always gives an excuse and says a c-section is required at the last minute.

I feel sorry for Monnie. Why should anyone be made to feel bad about having a c-section, regardless of the reason?

In November, I am planning to come back to Australia for the birth of my baby. I was actually thinking of opting for a c-section. Is that possible now in Australia in the public health care system or can I only opt for a c-section under private health care?

reading this thread especially what happened to you 'monnie' has really scared me. This is my second pregnancy, had natural birth with first seven years ago, this time around I've already organised elective cesarean with my private ob due to personal reasons.

I feel there are a lot of people out there ready to personally attack you regarding elective c-sections and it makes me angry. I've had a lady GP personally attack me about this topic already. I believe its no one else's body and if the mum is happy with that birth plan and her ob is happy the mum shouldn't have to explain herself to anyone else, its no-one else's business. i have heard and also read a few stories about midwives being nasty to mums in hospital if they elected to have a cesarean. I have chosen sjog hospital in subiaco Perth, and hoping i wont get treated nasty when I'm there. I get really intimidated and get upset easily.

I have never heard of this 'wearing stockings'? its sounds strange, why would you have to wear them?

Australicat, it is very politically incorrect to ask for a C/S in the public hospital system since the system regards VB the better (less expensive option). Depending on what state you are planning to be in, you could read up on some hospital/health dept policies to find out what the likely response will be. However, without a previous history or a strong indicative medical indication, you are less likely to be able to request a C/S in the public system. So I'd say it might be a good idea for you to consider a backup plan in the private hospital system, where really they will do anything if you are prepared to pay!!

Casscart, I have had nothing but support and kindness from all the staff I've talked to at TCH here in ACT. They've even written thru my notes my intention that while I'll be there to birth a baby it's also a powerful opportunity to heal my first VB experience and I want a mindfulness of that shown while I'm there. I'm sure I may come across one or two bad eggs who have an opinion, but quite frankly until they've lived life in my shoes, they are not entitled to comment.

BTW, I think the stockings are support stockings, used to prevent deep vein thrombosis (blood clots)..? Anyone else know for sure?

Australicat I think it depend on the hospital it can't hurt to ask nobody is going to think any less of you etc

marydean yes thats what the stockings are

Hey Casscart,

I think you'll be fine at SJOG...I've had a few friends go there with elective c/s and have been treated wonderfully...

Yep...the stockings are for the DVT...I think you actually wear them afterwards...

Hey...has anyone heard of active caesareans? Especially the maternally assisted ones...where the mother actually 'delivers' the baby...I got in contact with Birthrites and they said so far in WA, there have been three maternal assisted caesareans...something to think about....

Hope everyone is doing well...

Hi Casscart

After reading your post I just wanted to send you all my love and support, and to let you know that the stockings also help your blood circulate while you are lying in bed.

I have Monnie. The case I read about, the mother was a nurse which was why the Ob let her do it. The Ob's in the story said they can't see it becomming a "regular" thing and that many women didn't know about it or want to be that involved in it.
    There aren't suppose to be any more (or less) risks involved as the medical staff still do all the technical work - but the mother's hands were guided to the baby and she lifted them out of her womb (with a little assistance) before they took bubs to do what they needed to do.
    It was certaintly food for thought when I read about it.

Hi guys! I just had my monthly OB visit today and was given an unconfirmed date for my C, as it has to fit in with dr's schedule of course he first wanted to do it on the 11/1 EEK! making me 38 weeks but then he thought that the baby could be a little imature at that date so had to go with the 16th at 7am making me 39weeks exactly and as it'll be my 3rd C if I go into labour early I'll have to RUN to the hospital (yeah right!). I was wondering what gestation were or will you be if your having or had a planned C? is 39 weeks normal? I was 39 weeks with my second but I had talked my ob into letting me have a short trial labour should I go into labour naturaly.

With my daughter it was 39 weeks but she decided to make a early appearance and came at 38 weeks 2 days. So this c-section is booked for 38 weeks and 3 days so this should be interesting. My husband has a 2 day bucks weekend on the day im 38 weeks so Im trying not to freak out.

I know my OB does them at 37 weeks why but he trys to schedule electives between 37-38 weeks

ok quick question I had what is called the modern cut and stitch up as in no external stiches anyway I healed real well etc does anyone know what i am talking about so i can explain to my friend who had traditional c-sect

i did too hun - i had a running stitch that the pulled out the day i came home and I had steri-strips and thats it - not quite sure how they do it - stitched from the inside i guess!!

I was told it was soemthing ot do with they dont stich the muscle wall as such they allow natural healing anyway I am trying to find some info for her and thought their may have been a name for the cut and the way the finish besides modern c-sect etc

Not sure - sorry! Hope you find something! I know the old cuts up the belly were called vertical and the new cuts now are called transverse but thats it!!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast