Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Caesarean General Chatter & Discussion #7

Hi,

Just wanted to pop in here as I had my second c/s (elective) a week ago and it was a great experience. Jessica was stuck with the cord around her neck. When they got her head out and she cried when still stuck in me but there were no problems. I am glad my husband insisted on an elective c/s because of this as this birth would have ended in an emergency c/s. First one was an emergency with the cord around Amy's neck twice and 26 hrs of labour getting nowhere. Jessica fed for 3 hrs (on and off) in recovery and back in the room and the checks were done after that. I was so happy that the hopsital was so relaxed about when she was weighted and measured as the first time my DH went with Amy to get them done while I was in recovery. Will write a birth story soon as there were so may positive things to this birth. Good luck to everyone that is close to your baby's birth, will catch up properly with you all for a chat soon.

I am glad everything went well

Hello anyone home???????

Am I the only due to have a c/s in the next month?????

What date are you due to have yours?

I just had one almost 5 weeks ago

My c/s is scheduled for the 8th of Jan but ive bene having tightenings all night 15 mins apart...just hope their bad BH....still to early for my liking and I dont really want to take christmas away from my other kids. I had Vyolett at 37 weeks (emergency c/s) so anything is posible with me. Hav eyou had c/s with all your children??? This will be my 4th one and i am so not looking forward to it. I have a general too.
    Did it take long for you to recover? I had no pain, nothing after having Vyolett...it was the best c/s I have ever had...I justhpray thats its the same this time round.

This was my 3rd c/s. Only my first bub was natural.. I always had a spinal..

I never look forward to them as I hate the spinal but this last time it was great they used a different mixture and did a few other things and it made the spinal go away faster. I took longer to recover this time but it was less painful kwim? I think when I felt great I got up and did to much so thats why I took longer. I am all good now though

I hope your little bub stays put till at least after Xmas

Quote Originally Posted by monnie View Post
    Hey...has anyone heard of active caesareans? Especially the maternally assisted ones...where the mother actually 'delivers' the baby...I got in contact with Birthrites and they said so far in WA, there have been three maternal assisted caesareans...something to think about....

Hope everyone is doing well...
    I know this was posted a while ago but I'll be going into hospital very shortly to have our 3rd little boy and will be having a maternal assisted caesarean.
    I'm in Melbourne and as far as I know ours will be the first in this state...and hopefully not the last.
    Will let you all know how it all goes...very excited...extremely nervous and anxious.

Hey Mamaduke

I'm so excited for you!!! How wonderful!

Can't wait to hear about how it all went...I'm sure it will be just amazing!

I'm hoping that next time, if I have a c/s that I can do the same thing...

Wishing you all the very best!

Jacob Louis has arrived!
    Our birth story
    http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...76#post1095376

Congrats again mamaduke!!!

Hey ladies, I have been pondering over what questions to ask at my next OB appointment regarding my next c/s.
    He read my hospital notes from DD, and even though he encourages VBAC, he said I will have another c/s. So I am trying to compile a list of questions to ask at my next appointment in 6 weeks..
    So far I have,

* Can the cathether be put in after spinal/epidural? (whichever one it is they use)
    * Can DH be with me while spinal/epidural is being done?
    * Can DH and baby be with me in recovery?
    * Can we take photo's/camera in theatre?
    * Is DH able to cut the cord?

Not sure what else to ask? I know some of these will have to be asked at our hospital tour when we meet with a midwife.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be muchly appreciated

Nic

NIc - i think yo have all the right quetions to ask there matie.
    Just for a some reasurance this is what has happened to me in regard to your questions

* Can the cathether be put in after spinal/epidural? (whichever one it is they use)

I think they only really do this in an emergency as they like you to be 'preped' before going into thearter.

With my second son, I was going to have a spinal block and be awake so hubby was there with me. He was the one who saw the needle and how they put it in. So the answer to this on is Yes...but it also depends on your anethatist, who you'll have to see a few days before your c/s

Write this in your birth plan hon. I did it with both my last 2 babies. The hospital I am at encourages skin to skin contact asap after spinal or general C/s. I had Vyolett straight on my bb's 1/2 an hour after her birth but had to wait with Mataeuz as he went straight into a hummi crib

Defently, but if there are complications be ready for them to say no pictures.

Yes - Jed cut Wilhelms cord - the only one as he was in theater with me for.

Good luck hon let us know how you go

i asked that one and was told no.

I forgot about this one but I hope your DH can be. I find that the nervous time

I was told no here. hospital policy

I think you are allowed photos but not Video. Depends on the hosp tho

I am pretty sure he would be able to. My d declined.. He did it once was his excuse lol

A tip though. Express some milk before hand. I did this before my last c.s and it was so worth it. I only got 2-3 mill but it was enough kwim. I think most c/s babies go to special care for a few hours or more for observation.. SO if bub gets hungry there is food waiting

Good on you for being prepared!

this will actually depend on the anethetist and where you are on the list. If you are towards the beginning, they may be happy to do the anesthetic and then have their anesthetic nurse do the catheter. If the theatre list is running behind, they will probably get a nurse (usually their assistant if you're already in the waiting area for theatre) to insert it before they come and do the anesthetic. Most are pretty accomodating so just ask when you have your first meeting with them but it will ultimately be up to the anethetist and not the Ob.
    * Can DH be with me while spinal/epidural is being done? This is actually a preference for the anethetists I know because a). DH can assist in getting you into the right position (supporting your shoulders in a rolled position which makes it easier for them) b). DH can comfort you if you're concerned about the process of the epidural/spinal which frees his assistant to help him c). DH is a good distraction!!!! But, it will of course come down to personal preference of the anethetist
    This is always going to be dependent on hospital policy, staffing numbers of the day, and whether or not your Ob has enough "sway" to get that for you (if they're willing to go into bat on that one)
    Some say yes, others say no. You may be asked to sign a disclaimer. Because Ob indemnity insurance is so expensive these days and because of the general increase in litigation for their field, many say no as they are concerned any footage could be used in a litigation suit (not saying that is your motivation). Of course, some hospitals have a blanket rule on that and don't allow it. If you are permitted to take a camera, make sure you have the permission of anyone who might be in the photo to take THEIR photo...
    My DH did a "mock" cut because ours was an emergency section and they had to get DD out in a hurry and get her to the paed in the room but once she was stable the paed got DH to "cut" the cord

Some other things to think about is the use of lights in the theatre. They have to have the surgical lights on but you can ask them to be dimmed when they are about to bring bub out (some people feel it is less traumatic on the baby that way) but also ask they don't shine them in your eyes!!!!
    Ask for skin to skin contact as soon as baby is out (unless there is a reason they have to go straight to the paed). Weighing and measuring of bubs can wait.

HTH and good luck!

MG

Nic -
    My cathether was done after my epidural. They didn't allow DH to be with me while the epi was being done - he had to go sit in their staff room and a nurse made him a coffee . Afterwards I realised this was probably better for me - it made me a bit 'braver', I tend to be a bit sooky around DH if i am scared. This way i could just concentrate on their instructions and I was helped by the most wonderful midwife, Ricki. She held onto me and didn't let go. Bubs and DH were both in recovery with me (our hospital actually encourages it unless there is complications). We could take a camera but no video - for reasons that MG said. Our midwife actually took photos for us, which was great. Good luck with everything!

Hi girls im having my 3rd c/s with the spinal on the 6th of May so only 9 weeks away.
    My OB made a statement at my last hospital visit by saying i'd hat to be the one
    doing your op!!!(old mole). Why would she make a statement like this!!!
    And i was also wondering if any one in here has had more then 3 c/s and how
    they got on?????
    Last edited by Mumof8; March 1st, 2008 at 05:15 PM.

I had my 3rd c/s 14 weeks ago.. All went fine.. I did take a little longer to recover, but I think that is because I got out of bed way to soon.. 5 hours..

I asked while they were doing the op if I had a lot of scarring and the answer was No. They said plenty more babies can come from here Still had my tubes tied but always good to know I can have more hehe

em honey - i had my 4th c/s wih Mateuaz..doc told me I could have had more but I got my tubes removed as I personally think 4 kids for me is enough...especially now that i have 2 with special needs. dont worry though, that 2 month post baby cluckyness is creeping in

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast