Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat nappy discussion

nope havent seen it -but will look at it now - thankyou

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by hj1981 View Post
    damprye - and does that still fit? sounds small!
    My boy is around 14kgs and has a little pot belly and chubby legs and his nappies still fit great, when he was a baby baby though i used to give the middle an extra fold but it works great with terry flats and a snappi and of course covers.

I use the newborn fold (I think they also call it the chinese fold) on my 5 week old and have done so since he was 3 weeks old. I tuck in the sides, otherwise they would go to his knees. That also seems to help with poo-tainment. Fits great. A little bulky, but no more so than some fitteds. I have bamboo terry squares and looooove them. so soft, wash well, absorbent, just great. a little dear, but worth it.
    do you guys use stay dry liners? i am using microfleece, cause he has a rash. but i'd much rather not use them once i don't need to use barrier cream anymore. i find the terry really holds on to the poo and when you use liners it doesn't work so well (poo sits on top, runs off to the side rather than being caught by the fibres). DS does monster poos. mostly the covers (thirsties and bummis superbrite) catch it, but sometimes we have smallish poo leaks (nothing copmpared to the leaks we had with sposies).

Sasa

I use the blue johnson and johnson liners u get from BIG W - they kinda look like chucks wipes! and i haven't had any probs!

I have a box of those but only used a couple of them. Are they stay-dry or just for poo catching? Are they flushable?

I tried the liners for a bit but also found that when DS done a big one it would make it leak everywhere so I use just the nappy and cover and it works wonderfully

So you don't get rash problems without a stay dry liner?
    I'm not quite game enough to go without a stay dry liner yet. DS is still battling a nappy rash. but once that is well and truly cleared up, I might give it a go.
    Sasa

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine_sieben View Post
    I have a box of those but only used a couple of them. Are they stay-dry or just for poo catching? Are they flushable?
    Not sure if they are stay dry or not - but have never had a problem with them - no nappy rash and no leakage! - they say on the box not to flush, however DH did it once accidently and it didnt block the toilet or anything - but in saying that we havent flushed them again since! u can buy flushable once tho -saw them once while googling!

sorry im not much help i know!

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine_sieben View Post
    So you don't get rash problems without a stay dry liner?
    I'm not quite game enough to go without a stay dry liner yet. DS is still battling a nappy rash. but once that is well and truly cleared up, I might give it a go.
    Sasa
    The only time I have had a problem with nappy rash was when he was first teething and started on solids which was over a year ago now
    When my DS does start to get a little red down there I give him nappy free time or put training pants on him (also cloth) and if he does his "business" I can wipe it up or he will take off his pants depending on which we are using.

Wow this thread has gone dead do not many people use flats anymore

hi everyone! am hoping to get a bit of advice on flats.. like what sort of covers and how many, that kind of thing.. also are they okay to use through the night? this is my first bub so am trully a novice. i figure that mums have been using terrys for years and that seems to have been fine thus far so why not for me and my boy lol? am thinking of getting woollen covers, there is a woman who knits them and sells them online here in nz so are btwn $16-$22 NZD depending on the size you get (nb, s, m, l).

but would this be okay for all the time? also have bought legs as part of bub's clothes so have seperates to be able to chuck on and off without him having to be changed totally.. would you use legs instead of covers? and what about pul? or something like that. bought a pair of 'kushies' from the plunket fair for a $1 yesterday, and is sort of plasticy cover.. would this be pul? agh! so much to learn!

Hi and welcome!
    I love woollen covers but they are a bit of a pain with runny explosive breastfed newborn poos. So you might want to get some pul ones, too. Not sure what that cover is that you have but it sounds more like pvc??? Pul is just like normal fabric (cotton or polyester that has a coating on one side. Although with some PULs you can't see the coating as it is sandwiched between 2 layers of fabric.

I have 8 covers. But you do not NEED that many. If you wash every second day you can get away with 5 or 6. I just like the convenience of having a few spares. I also have a few woollen soakers.
    BBH have very affordable woollen covers thaat are machine washable covers that might be easier for runny poos.

For PUL, I love Thirsties covers. Bummis Superbrite are also good, but I prefer the Thirsties.
    I had DS in disposables in the first 3 weeks and then he went straight into small covers. So I never needed newborn sized covers. He was born 3.34kg, so not a big baby.

I would reccommend either getting good quality cotton flats (not the supermarket variety) or even better bamboo ones. That's if you wanna do flats full time. If they're only for emergencies, the supermarket ones are fine. Bamboo is more absorbant, but not quite as durable.

Of course you can use flats over night. As mentioned, the bamboo ones are more absorbant. And you might have to get some boosters for night time.

Yes, for being at home you can definitely use just the flat and baby legs (I assume you were talking about leg warmers). you'll have to change very frequently, though so it doesnt wick onto your clothes.

Have fun!
    sasa

oo! thankyou! i think you are right that the cover is a pvc one.. what is the difference btwn the BBH (am assuming that is the online shop for BB? or is it something else? sorry am a bit dim when it comes to acronyms lol) and knitted ones? is it a woven wool that is sewn instead? and am totally for having spares lol! the terry sqaures i have bought so far are baby first brand i think, is sold in baby stores and dept stores, haven't seen them in the supermarket. they're about $20 for 6 i think, and just seem to be normal terry like we had kicking around as kids from when we were all babies.. so i assume is just generic cotton terry..? with the bamboo terry, would that be at baby stores? and how much-ish would they be/what kind of packs do they come in (as in singles, or packs of 6 etc)?

sorry! i totally am in the dark here lol..

BBH is Baby Beehinds (google it), it's not related to Bellybelly. They have MCNs (modern cloth nappies) plus PUL and woollen covers.

If you have a little bub, you might one want to look at flannel flats for the first few weeks/months cos they can be a little less bulky than terry. You can use up for spit clothes later.

hey livvy! Welcome!
    I'd definitely recommend flannelette flats or cotton/bamboo prefolds or flats for the first few months, as opposed to the terry, which can be a bit bulky. And bamboo can be used for boosters later on when you're using terry flats. There is bound to be some NZ websites that supply them, maybe have a google around for "greenbeans" I think it is, they sell fabric and supplies for making nappies and might have something useful. If you can sew a bit, it wouldn't be hard to make your own. Otherwise have a look for booroi (au site), they have good cotton or bamboo stuff.
    As for covers, PUL is breathable and PVC is NOT!! Wool is good, but maybe not so much in the early weeks when there's a whole lot of NB breastfed runny poo happening! Who has time to handwash anything then?? But definitely when bubs is sleeping longer and going longer between changes, it's a great option. If there's someone local who knits soakers/shorties/longies that's lucky for you. Just don't forget to check it's 100% wool (I know, it seems silly to even say that, but any acrylic in the mix is going to defeat the purpose) and to lanolise the woollies before using and as required after that. Personally, I think the Thirsties PUL covers with gussets are ace, followed by Bummis. Can't comment on the BBH wool covers, as I've not tried them, but their MCN and fitteds are good. Didn't like the fit of their PUL covers, tho.
    HTH!

Yes, I was referring to Baby Beehinds wool covers.They are a felted type cover with velcro closure, rather than a knitted pull-on style. So when they do get soiled, you don't need to drag the poo down baby's legs and they can go into the washing machine, so no need to handwash.
    As I mentioned, I had no trouble using terry on my small-ish baby from about 3 weeks. it wasn't all that bulky. No more bulky than any of the one size fits all fitted nappies.
    And I found that terry has one big advantage to flanelette: the loop grabs on to the poo so you have a lot less leakage.
    As far as I know you can't get bamboo terry in the stores. Online they sell for about AUD $10 each. So they're not cheap. But very soft (which probably mmade them less bulky) and nice. I swear by them, but I know not everybody likes terry squares.
    Oh, get yourself some snappies if you're going to use flats. They are the best thing since sliced bread! So much better than pins. but won't work on flanelette.

Sasa

snappis will work on flannelette if you're desperate enough! I managed to get it to work, anyway, because there was no way I was letting DP near a NB DS with pins!

thankyou everyone! will look into the baby beehinds covers and the bamboo terrys. the knitted wool covers that i am able to get here are not the pull up kinds (although i had looked at them) they are a wrap with hook and loop closures at the front. my mum said the pull up ones were more of a hassle so am glad i didn't go with them now you mention the poo trail if they got soiled lol! i hadn't thought of that! and i don't have a partner so i don't have to worry about anyone stabbing bub except me, as bub's dad is leaving for australia next year apparently (now isn't that dedication to one's child! ).. i think i saw something online that did the closure thing, was sort of like a three pronged weird looking thing, that i can't remember what it was called.. would that have been a snappi lol?

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast