Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about cloth nappies

Question Question about cloth nappies

Hi,
    When bubba's born i want to use cloth nappies but cant afford those ones that look like disposables and everyone's been telling me not to use the just normal square terry toweling ones because they leak really bad. Can i please get some feedback on this.

Also, how do you fold them feel like the biggest fool asking that but hey if i dont ask i'll never know

Thanks in advance
    Jessey

Hi Jessey,

I'm in exactly the same boat as you, how expensive are some of those nappies?! They're pretty cute but there's no way the budget's going to allow it! As well as being expensive, you need to consider how much longer they take to dry - particularly as you are having a winter baby like me. I got some great advice about flats reading the sticky thread "Flat Nappy Discussion" in this forum - definitely check that out. You'll be wanting some flannelette flat nappies for a newborn. There are apparently heaps of websites out there that have instructions for folding. I've heard people mention The Nappy Lady site. Try googling that one, that's what I'm going to do.

Good luck!
    Lisa

I am going to start out using flats too. I have some hemp prefolds, some terry squares, and some flanny flats, and am going to try them all out.

I bought a couple of PUL covers for putting over them, and some fleece ones for nightime, which didnt cost too much. Hopefully that should help with dryness. The girls in the flat nappy discussion gave me some good recommendations for covers.

Also, Oz Cloth Nappies is a good website. It has heaps of info, some folds on it, and good links off to other sites for folds too.

HTH

The squares don't leak much as long as you use a good cover. I used flanelette squares and they worked fine. When I used disposables I had many more leaks than with cloth!

If you're worried about the outlay and want to use cloth, you could get some flanny squares and covers before bub comes and put the money you are saving toward buying some MCN later on

I'm not a cloth user but I have seen patterns online on how to make your own cloth nappies like the ones they sell. They looked pretty swish lol. Maybe if you or a family member can sew, that might be an idea?

Try google and see what comes up!

you can always do what I did - use the cheap flannel nappies and buy a great stash of MCN with the baby bonus when you get it...we do get it to use on our babies and you'll be set up with no more then a $500 out lay. well worth it seeing you can spend anything from $2500 upwards on your baby in disposibles...and you can the use those same MCN's for your next child for no extra cost.

Maz & Raven's suggestions are great
    I started Alexander in disposables but i've put money away once a week to buy a new MCN, and am using some of the Baby Bonus for it too.
    We received our first lot of Fluffy Mail today and hope to start with 1/2 cloth, 1/2 sposies next week!

The Flats and Flanny Squares will be great to start with too, as if you do get MCN's and they take their time to dry, you'll always have them as spares.

As for the folding - if your hospital provides cloth nappies for your stay just ask them to show you once you're transferred to the Post Natal Ward. It was almost the first thing they did when i got there!

look out for the sales too .. bbh is having an april sale ... but tt squares are fine , i use them on my toddler .. and no leaks , a snappi and a good cover work well , not the pvc ones ... as for the folding , google cloth nappy folds and you will find many !!!!!

Thank you all for your advice and ideas

Can anyone recomend where to buy nappy covers other than the net? I'm one of those "difficult" people who like to see what it is that they are buying

MCN is mostly only available online. There are a few IRL stores and if you are in Qld and nearby then there is thenappybucket or nurturenappies who are online stores but may allow you to visit and see. If you visit their websites you will be able to ask them from there.
    Another way to see IRL is to have a babybeehinds demo which are great because they come to your house. You can find details about that at their website also.

HTH

don't forget that only a few weeks after bub comes you will get the baby bonus. if you shop around you can get MCN fairly cheap. i use the bum genius ones they fit from a newborn to app a 2-3 y/o depending on how big baby is. its cheaper than having to buy MCN each time your baby grows.

I started with terry flats but they gave DS a bad rash. we have no problems with the BG's. i advise to buy in bulk most web sites offer discounts if you do, i only had 10 to start with and that was enough as long as i kept up with the washing.

Good luck.

pookey Pockets is a MCN store that is located in brisbane

Went shopping yesterday and found some "Fitted Nappies" in kmart, they look exactally the same as some of the ones i've seen on the net for $20+ but they were only $6.78. Was a bit "iffy" about getting them but a lady watching me said they're just as good as the ones on the net thats good enough for me...

Now i just need some covers, the only ones i could find yesterday were pvc and they were HORRIBLE! Anyone know where to get some good covers?

Hi Jessey,

With the ones from Kmar, just be careful with the velcro rubbing bubs.. We have some, but the velcro is a bit rough. We actually got my mum to sew some flannette (about 1/2 inch over the top), just to stop the velcro rubbing when DD moves.

I am pretty slack and only use cloth when I know I am going to be in all day, but I use those ones form Kmart and the toweling ones.

I think the covers we have are call cutsie (Can't check as there are none that aren't in DD's room and I am too scared to wake her). They have PVC to stop the leaking, but are cotton on the outside, and have cotton covering the PVC on bubs side. They are about $4 I think..

Am sure that others may have better advice and I will be watching with interest as I really want to stop using so many disposables..

Thanks heather28 will have to have another look in kmart, either i'm COMPLETELY blind or they were sold out

i got some in big w. they only ever have a few so u have to keep looking but they r def heaps cheaper then the ones on teh net.

IMO You would be better using terry flats then the kmart fitteds in regards to absorbency. Those fitteds have wadding inside of them not cotton (like whats inside pillows or like a sponge depending on brand)....how do I know? I unpicked some to find out . So there is really only a max of 3-4 thin layers of terry or flannelet...compared to a Jo Folded flat that has, well I can't remember off hand but heaps of layers in the wet zone.

Terry squares are a bit bulky on a newborn but flannies would be fine...my boy is 4 weeks and has worn terries a few times...he was a bigger bub so I didn't find them too bad. Bummies Whisper pants are the same shape/style as the PVC pull up pants but they are breathable and soft and best of all don't rip. I bought some 2nd hand and find them great even after heaps of use.

I would think that you could use terry flats and flanny flats and bummies and have a great leak free nappy system.......if you can sew a few metres of bamboo fleece or hemp fleece could make you heaps of trifolds/boosters which would be great for night times.

I got told I was crazy first time around when I planned on using flats and honestly....I gave up .... PND, breastfeeding issues and a host of associated problems didn't help but support makes a huge difference and I don't know why people have to be so negative. You can do it and no you wont have heaps of leaks, once you find a system and routine of changing/washing etc everything will fall into place.

I've used flats a couple of times with Oliver - I use Wonder Wraps covers as they are OSFA. Terry is very bulky though, so you might want to grab some flanny flats too. I made my own AIO's with the Honeyboy pattern, but there are free patterns online - mine work out about $7 a nappy. I have to change them just as frequently as flats though, and they takes ages to dry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast