Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy Moly...........tired Mumma!

Unhappy Holy Moly...........tired Mumma!

DD is 8 months old. Has 4 teeth through.

Sleep round here used to be fine, waking once a night for a feed, sometimes not at all. Then the teeth started coming and it has all been out the wondow since then. DD began waking 2 times a night. I could cope ok with this, but last night, OMG.
    Her longest stretch was 1 hr, the shortest 15 min. She woke crying every time. She would settle easily enough with a cuddle or sometimes a feed. But I feel like i didn't sleep at all. At 2am i gave her some panadol, but it didn't seem to help. She is getting another cold, but she doesn't have temp.

She seems to know a little grizzle wont get my attention, so now she goes straight to a distressed cry, so i go straight in to get her. I'm not into CC, but i need some sleep. We have tried co-sleeping and neither of us (DD and I, Who cares about DH!! )sleep very well.

It seems slepp is just getting worse and worse, am i doing something wrong?
    Is there anything else i can try, or do i just suck it up and ride it out?
    None of the other teeth have caused this kind of sleep pattern. Makes me wonder if it is someting else..... any ideas?

Wish there was an icon with matchsticks holding eyes open!

I feel better just telling ya'll!

Ange- is it the 2 front teeth coming through? my lulu was sooo bad when they were coming through but now that they're here he's heaps better.
    um....not sure what to suggest...
    what if you moved her cot into your room for a while so at least you didn't have to walk as far???
    i'm clutching at straws here aren't i?

Oh Ange . Sorry you had such a bad one last night. I can't offer you any words of wisdom because I had a near identical night last night! Was it a full moon? Maybe something in the air?

I feel horrid today and I have a yucky cold too, why do they always do this to us when we're sick?

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I have a lot of sympathy and understanding for you today .

BTW - No you haven't done anything wrong, I'm sure it's just one of those developmental things. The guni will probably start walking tomorrow or something!

Well you two made me smile at least!

Gracie- She has two top and two bottom, but still has lots of teething symptoms, madly rubbing things on her gums..... i was thinking maybe another top one.... Has L got more than 4?
    I did think of moving cot, but i have to actually dismantle it! Maybe it's worth it....

Trish- i am sorry to say this, but it does make me feel a little better knowing someone else was paddling the same canoe as me last night! Hope tonight is good for you too.

Worst thing is we have a friend and her 18 month old coming to stay tonight, and although she wont mind at all, i will worry about guni waking her DD! Fingers crossed tonight is better.

Ange, I'm sending lots of hugs your way. I now how it feels. I was at the end of my tether a few weeks back. We do co-sleep and DD was sleeping really well for the first 6-8 months. But then the exact same thing happened. The front teeth (top and bottom) seemed to pop out without giving her any grief, but after that she started on some horrendous sleeping patterns. Waking up every 20 minutes some nights. It drove me insane. I am ashamed to admit, some nights I lost it. I even pinched one of DHs cigarettes one night, just to have something to calm me down. I hadb't smoked since I got pregnant. I almost puked after 4 or 5 drags. Needless to say, I haven't picked up a smoke since.
    I ended up just riding it out. Whenever I tried to do something to fix the problem, it failed and I just got more frustrated. So I gave up, tried to sleep with her during the day to make up for the lost nights and on the weekend ordered DH to do night duty sometimes.
    She has just fallen into a much better routine in the last couple of weeks and sanity has returned t this household. We have cut out one of her daysleeps and although I don't think it was the only reason for improvement, I think it has helped. But mainly, I think she just got through this phase. No new teeth, though.

Please believe me that you're not doing anything wrong. Sounds to me like you're doing an amazing job, I know how hard it is at times. Keep up the good work and don't blame yourself. Unfortunately they just go through stages like that and there isn't much you can do about it.

All the best, hun
    Sasa

Hi.

First of all...it's the teeth, Not you!

2nd, with my girls they got more irritable as they got more teeth. 2yo molars were the worst. DD1 had the diorrhea that burns the skin off their bums & had blisters going down her legs. What made it worse is that she was 13 months old & ran away everytime I tried to change her nappy. I had someone make a comment about DOCs seeing it. I felt bad enough!

ange- lewis has 6 teeth now, but the 2 front centre ones were definitely the worst in terms of his moodyness! we have his cot in our room with one side completely taken off and stuck right up against my side of the bed. it means i don't have to get out of bed in the middle of the night so it has really saved my sanity.
    it's not you at all and you've done nothing wrong

Ange rest assured I have BTDT. I found that it passes after a few days of madness though Caleb was still waking once a night for ages after. I'd just take him back to our bed for a feed and transfer him back to the cot later.

Thanks for your replies Sasa and Skye. (Sasa is your user name pronounced Sabine? I love that name.)

Sas- you've given me a light at the end of the tunnel!

BJ- Are you telling me it is only going to get worse??????? Your poor DD1, blisters would be painful, i'd run away too!

Gracie- hmmmmmm doesn't sound like a bad set up, might have to give that some serious thought. 6 teeth, has he bit you yet? She has munched on my nipple twice, OUCH! Last night i was having a bath with her, she was sitting on my tummy, lent forward and i thought she was going to give me a nice sloppy kiss, as she does, but nooooooooooooooooooooooo, she bit me onthe nose! I jumped about a foot i reckon!

ETA: More light at the end of hte dark tunnel! Good to hear it will pass Sam. Once i night is ok with me. Just not 25 times!

A few more days, just a few more and hopefully it's over.

Maybe its a case of Holy Molars I kill me!

lulu! Don't make me laugh, a sleep deprived mother might just cry!

No no no, dont cry. You gotta stay laughing. Although you can do the laugh/cry combination which is especially effective when you still have your jarmies and crappy old dressing gown on...

Hey Ange

My DD did exactly the same - went from being a fantastic sleeper to waking every 40 minutes. Not fun.

I found the Brauers Teething Relief much better than panadol or nurofen. It takes about 20 mins to kick in but she then has a long block of sleep.

Good luck - it will pass.

we've been through a bottle of brauers in the last little while Fiona! It is on my shopping list for this am. Hopefully we'll have some luck with it tonight. Thanks for the encouragment!

Lulu- have you got a spycam at my place?!

Hugs and sympathy from me Ange Must have been something in the air, because although we co slept for most of last night, DS still woke OFTEN. I wasn't looking at the clock

I hope you're not doing anything wrong, because that means I did too PMSL! DS used to sleep fine, but then it just spiralled out of control, I don't remember when. I can tell you now, I got so desperate when he was 8 months that I tried a form of cc for a week. It made things soooooooo much worse, and I still feel terribly guilty for doing it. Each to their own, but it definitely didn't work for us.

I would suggest that this is a temporary thing though, I doubt she'll be keeping you up all night forevermore. Maybe in a night or two things will settle down again (that's what usually happens here), and you can catch up. Even better, have a nap today when she does! I know that the prospect of a nana nap always cheers me up immensely LOL. I really think that there's usually a reason why they have nights like this (teeth, whatever, who bl00dy knows!) but they just can't tell us.

Here's to tonight being a better one

ETA If you're after teething remedies, try Hylands teething tablets. They're great!

Oh Ange...how I feel your pain!!

Our nights haven't been toooo bad (not as good as usual though) this week but last week SHEESH! Days this week have been a nightmare, he's averaging about 1.5 hours sleep a day, depsite me trying and trying to get him to go down.

I also gave in to temptation and tried CC for a night or so (and yeah, I feel pretty crap about it now) - it didn't work for us either. If anything, things are worse now than they were before, so it doesn't always work out.

I've just taken all three of us to the GP, ABs for me, DD seems OK so just sticking with the Brauer's Cold and Flu Relief for her but after checking his gums, GP reckons L is teething again....ahhhhhh, that kinda explains it then I was starting to suspect it because this is exactly what he did when he cut his first two teeth - day sleeps went to pot.

I must have been very lucky with DD, I remember weeks of bad nights when she cut her first teeth but then she cruised through it after that. DS seems to suffer a bit more.

PS I've got the Hylands tabs too, going to try them tonight.

Have you tried a teething gel? That can take the pounding away...I would say it is just teeth. In my experience there is always a reason for constant waking away from the norm & in this house it's mostly been teeth. And yes I didn't notice the first 4 teeth but the rest really made their mark...Charlie gets the worst cold when he teeth's & it's not much chop at all. I've been looking on the bright side...he's just over 1 and only has one more to go!!!
    Teething gel, some panadol or nurofen & a feed is what's done it in this house...that gets us a couple hours between wake ups LOL....I hope it gets better for you soon.
    The good thing is with Charlie, once the tooth is through he's back to norm sleep again like nothing happened. I used to stress I'd given too many night cuddles that he'd wake for them all the time - but not so.
    The other thing...just a thought - if not teeth could bubs be cold?? We had a few wakings before we realised we needed the heater to take the chill off.

Charlie gets the worst cold when he teeth's
    Funny that, DS has one too...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast