Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have a HCG question!

Angry I have a HCG question!

Hi,

I'm extremely frustrated right now

AF is late, by how many days, i can't exactly tell you, as i'm not 100% sure when i O'd (most probably between cd14 and cd18) however my cycle is usually and has been a 28-30 day cycle. I tested Sunday and got a BFP (pregnow test 10miu)(faint but clearly 2nd line came up immediately). It's my 2nd month ttc. First month ttc ended as early m/c and i am so scared it's going to happen again

Reason i say this, is because I tested again Tuesday morning and it came up BFN. (different brand test (pregnosis) - measures 20-25miu) and again today, BFN (20miu test). different brand again. (LC measures 20miu).

I have been told not to worry and that as long as AF is not here then I have a chance, and yes i agree... however if I was UTD, surely i would be getting some results from HPTs????

Can someone please explain to me why someone who is UTD does not show as being pregnant on HPTs until the BT confirms it???

I'm going crazy with these HPTs its so confusing and draining because i still have my pregnancy symptoms, sore BBs and now and then nausea and cramps...

I am getting a BT tomorrow and get the results probably Monday. But between now and then, surely if i am actually UTD, shouldn't i get another BFP on a HPT????

Does it depend on the brand? IF i am pregnant, i would imagine i would have to have at least 300 miu hcg in my blood or something therefore if i am testing with 10 or 20miu tests, shouldn't they come up with DARK DARK lines???? it makes sense right???

** thanks for the vent also **

Hi Ren. Sorry you're going through this crap again. It's not fair is it?
    Ive been following your journey ( I dont post anymore cause I cant keep up) and Im wondering that maybe the pregnow was a false pos? Im not trying to be negative, and I truley hope you are UTD, but these tests are known for ocassionally (sp) dodgy readings. I know HPTs arent meant to give false positive readings, but every now and then they do...had a coulpe myself 2 months back. I would think if you were UTD and getting a pos result on 1 test, you'd get them on all, BUT obviously a BT will be the most conclusive. The fact that you've still go no Af and a few symptoms is reason to stay positive. If it turns out you're not UTD ( hope you are!!) then Id assume a dodgy test, NOT early miscarriage. Dont do that to yourself.
    Either way, I'll be thinking od you, and I hope you DO get that nice strong BFP.....take care xx

Quote Originally Posted by Renstar View Post
    Can someone please explain to me why someone who is UTD does not show as being pregnant on HPTs until the BT confirms it???
    [/B]
    Hi Renstar,
    The simple explanation is that some women can't get accurate results with a HPT before 6 weeks (some later) because of they just don't excrete enough HCG in their urine. Well, this is how my GP explained it. HCG levels in blood don't correspond to that in urine - depends on your own body's process if that makes sense.
    BT is more accurate.
    Good luck.
    TICKLISH

Ticklish - your explanation makes perfect sense - thank you. I did not realise the levels of hcg in your blood do not match those in your urine, i thought it matched (i know, i know!) i have no idea hence why i posted this... i'm so glad i know that now! Sooo i'll get the BT done tomorrow and see what happens then seeing as no AF yet... and still feel pregnant.

Beaksie
    - yes i'm starting to think those "pregnow" tests aren't all that great now... I won't ever be buying another one. I had heard good things about them at one stage now i only hear bad things.
    It's strange that out of all the HPTs i've used (this month and last month) i've only EVER got a BFP from a Pregnow Brand... HOWEVER, i had a BT done last month and the GP told me my hcg levels were between 3-5 miu hcg that was the day before i started bleeding heavy ( it was definitely early m/c as i had clots & very painful)

** Question **
    Can you have hcg in your blood at any stage of your cycle? OR is that usually only pre-menopausal/menopausal women that have that?? I've heard that before that's all...
    AND
    Do some women avoid HPTs and only get a BT done once their AF is like 2 weeks late?? Because i think i might do this next time!!!!!!!!!

Ren- I got my bfp at 9dpo on lullaby 10miu, then at 10dpo i got a + on a clearblue digital in the afternoon, and went to dr the next day, and my HCG was 24. I thought it would be atleast 100! Then 2 days later they tested again and it was 120, then 4 days later 590.

So sometimes HPTs are inconslusive, its never too early to get a BT, my af wasn't even due yet.

I don't think its possible to have HCG in your system as its only produced when u are pregnant, except if u are going through HCD trigger shots etc which you aren't taking, so if your AF is late then u still have hope, but i'm a firm believer that a 2nd line doesn't come up on a HPT unless there is HCG there, it might just be a really sensitive test?

Good luck

x

Thanks Kailz yeah this 2nd line that came up on Sunday was a definite 2nd line hey... so maybe i just am only excreting the tiniest amount of hcg in my urine (like ticklish explained) and only my bloods will show if i am UTD or not... so unless i get this BT done, it could be going on for weeks like this with HPTs! I don't think i can do that! lol thank you for sharing your story with me. H&H pregnancy!

Renstar - I found some research for you. I've rewritten it as it was a bit long. Basically:

In a study done on 240 non pregnant women many were found to have HCG levels of under 5. One case had a level of 4.6 some had 2.5 but most were under 2.

It then went on to say that only levels over 5 are considered pregnant as it is very possible to have lower readings of HCG but not be pregnant in the latter part of your cycle.

As you head towards menapause (peri-menapause) you can have readings over 5 and not be pregnant.

I also found a site that was all about comparing pregnancy tests. It said not to use anything more sensitive than 20miU as the more sensitive tests can detect this naturally occuring low levels of HCG that may be present in a non pregnant woman. You just may be one of these women that have it occuring in you.

I once had a reading of 3 after having had 3 different brands test positive (including a digital one) and was told I had probably had an early m/c (was bleeding lightly at the time). My gyno told me that there's no way that you can have a false positive from 3 different brands so I would have been pregnant for sure.

You might be better off to use less sensitive tests and only test when AF is overdue, it would save you a lot of worry. I'd also suggest you start to chart so you know exactly when you O then you will know when AF is due, and if you go over you should test.

I've also read a lot about false positives with that brand you used so if I were you I'd be getting more reliable tests for the future. The LC ones are great and I've never had a false positive on them. I used them for the last pregnancy and this one and they were very accurate. I used them on several cycles where I wasn't pregnant and I never got a second line. When pregnant I got a faint line then a darker line the next day, off to the doc and tested positive straight away both times.

Good luck.

Thinking of you Ren... how come you have to wait so long for results?!?!?!? I can't wait that long! I wanna know now! LOL! Sorry, I'm a little impatient. I'll wait quietly and patiently :-)

Hey Renstar,

I also use Pregnow - and find them very accurate...dont stress. The 10miu is more sensitive then the 20. Mine even picked up left over HCG needle in my system 5 days later..
    See how you go with the BT......good luck sweet..

Satya - thanks for all that info, it's really interesting. I always wondered that about hcg levels and how some women do have them in their system. although low levels...
    I DEFINITELY had an early m/c last month... so the BFPs i got on the pregnow tests (all 3 of them) were correct because i knew i had m/c as i had lots of pain, delayed AF and clots (sorry tmi) when i passed the blood. not to mention the preg symptoms!

As for this month, it could be happening again OR that pregnow test i did could have been faulty, it's so hard to say.... but either way, i am choosing not to read into it all as it will only confuse me further
    I saw my GP today and got my BT done - results by 5pm today (she is calling me) otherwise if no call i have to call tomorrow. I'm getting the quantitive beta hcg test done.

Leasha - lol i've learnt patience this month!!! :P that's for sure. Results are in by 5pm today! thats sooo quick... most ppl have to wait 2 days!!

Minnie - thanks so much for the great feedback on Pregnow... i happen to think they aren't too bad either! thank you

* I'm prepared for the GP to say "sorry you're not pregnant" so either way, i'll be OKAY & just have to accept it. BUt if she says YOURE UTD! i'll be sooooo happy!!!!!!!

oh just adding to what i wrote before!!!

Satya - i actually waited this cycle! i learnt from last cycle not to test early!!! and i waited and waited and tested cd15 but that was going off a 28 day cycle, Oing on cd14, whereas now i believe i may have O'd later.... anyway its all very confusing but i really did wait until after 28 days because i thought AF was due cd28 (like it has been last few mths) .... as for charting, i won't bother charting yet for another 2mths as it will only stress me out.... more!!!

We every single night from cd9 until cd18 !!!! (we're honeymooners ) so i can't understand how we would have missed that eggy!!!!

I hope the BT brings good results :hugs:

Not trying to dampen your hopes but dont forget after a m/c your cycles can go out of whack. Mine went from a 28 day cycle with a 14 day LP to a 32 day cycle with a 12LP.. A friend of mine started having 48 day cycles intead of her normal 28. I hope this isnt your case though.

Renstar...... wow thats so long... my FS said have the BT in the morning and we'll have the results by lunch time... I just expected it would be that quick for everyone! LOL!

Yeah also i have had to have a BT once a week for the last 4 weeks and I have it donw in the morning and have the results back by the late arvo.

Renstar - I'm with Lindsay - cycles can go out of whack after a m/c. Prior to my 1st one this year I had a 28 day cycle but afterwards it was anything from around 24 days. I O'd anywhere from CD12 to 17 during my charting time so things can be very different from cycle to cycle.

Oh, and on the BDing. The experts say to only BD every second day when TTCing as if you don't you are it can take up to 48 hours for the little swimmers to regenerate. If you BD every day the supply that is on hand could be depleted and therefore you wont catch the egg.

I agree with you girls, after an early m/c your cycles can go 'whacko' or they may not... its hard to say but until i get the BT result i am not thinking about any of that TBH.... I understand i may not be UTD. BUT i'm hoping (of course, as anyone would). I only m/c at 4.1wks so it was a very early one last month hence it wouldnt disrupt my cycles drastically like someone that m/c at say 7wks... as an example.

Leasha - where i live, there is LOTS of people on the coast here so it's quiet busy but getting results same day is great i reckon!! Lots of ppl i know have had to wait 2 days!!!!

Satya - i don't necessarily agree with the whole bd'ing every 2nd day only thing... i've read recent research lately that suggests you can still do it every day and still have a healthy pregnancy.... it's in recent news articles and was on the news the other night. Besides, we have regular sessions anyway!!! but anyway, who knows, i guess we all just do what works for us and what we ENJOY & sooner or later something will work when the time is right.

I had a m/c at 5 weeks.. did your GP suggest anything?

Lindz - when i had the m/c it was just like a normal period for me, started heavy (except i had a few clots) and painful but besides that, it was a normal period then.... 4-5 days length. So if my cycles are out of tune, i'd say they aren't out by much... maybe only a few days.... anyway time will tell.
    GP also said (and others have said) when you have a m/c at such an early stage like 4.1wks, your body just expells it naturally like a normal AF so no need to worry about d&c etc etc.

Anyway, at this stage, all i am concerned about is whether or not I am pregnant, once i get my results, whatever it is, then i can look at my cycle and trying to get it regular again
    I just want to focus on one thing at a time right now because i don't think i can handle more than that. This month has been hard enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast