Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jaffle-style or flat-cat? Toastie makers...

Default Jaffle-style or flat-cat? Toastie makers...

Ok, after a decade with flat-only toasted sandwiches, I'm on the cusp of going out and getting me an old-style jaffle maker. You know, it fits your spaghetti/egg/whatever in, crimps the edges down and chops it in half, so all the juicy goodness stays inside. I've got my eye on the Breville on, seems like it would fit a decent size of bread in it.

What do you have/prefer...jaffle-style or flat-cat?

We had a jaffle style but it gave us the irrits! The fillings always came oozing out where it had cut the bread. More often than not the cheese would stick to the sides so when you lifted it up the jaffle would be stuck to the top, if you get my drift!
    Have upgraded to a flat cat style & LOVE IT! I don't think they make them like they used to as I have very fond memories of heaping baked beans in Mum's jaffle maker...

We've had both. I like the flat toasters a bit more than the jaffle makers, but thats because I really hate how much 'crust' you seem to have with jaffles. I like the flat ones because ven with the crust the flavour goes right to the end.
    Don't get me wrong, I like crust, but only on fresh bread. I'm not a toasted crust fan!

definatly jaffle-style. I love my spaghetti in them, and the cheese oozing out with the steam with that first bite .

I love the jaffle style ones! Doesn't leak out all the sides and you can put heaps of filling in! I did start hating ours when the bread all started to stick, even if you put butter on the outside, so that's when we got a new flat (think they call them "cafe style") one. Toasted sandwiches just aren't really the same... but I think it is a bit more versatile than the plain jaffle one.

I have one of each and it depends on what I'm making as to which i use.

I like Jaffle irons that don't have a cut through the middle, my one like that broke and i haven't been able to find another one like it.

:yeahthat:
    Whatever takes our fancy or who is making - I prefer Jaffle and DH prefers flat, but if you have a fancy sandwich like cafe style, the jaffle maker doesn't work but you can put ooozy stuff in the flat.

I like a jaffle style if I am having baked beans or spaghettie or left over bolognaise. I just had to throw one out and then I saw Big W had them for $9!!
    I quite like the old fashioned cheese and ham under the grill with butter on top after finishing. I find the flat squishy ones ok, just not quite as satisfying Lol.

I like the flat style, so much easier clean!! It really used to irritate me cleaning the jaffle one once I was done with it!

Jaffle!

Having said that though, I prefer my ham cheese tomato toasties to be flat cat lol We have both. We actually have a really cool fire jaffle iron for camping - sooo good from the fire!

We make toasted sandwiches in the frypan/skillet! Butter on the outside and toast one side & turn it over. Doesn't make it squished like the flat cat type, but gives a nice toast on the outside.

We've got a jaffle style one too (but not the triangle cut-in-half type, the one that does the square) and we use that for the runny fillings like spaghetti or baked beans!

We've got the jaffle one, but ours doesn't cut it in two - so perfect for putting an egg in it. I love it, but we need one that does 4 at a time and I don't think I can get a jaffle one with 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
    We've got the jaffle one, but ours doesn't cut it in two - so perfect for putting an egg in it. I love it, but we need one that does 4 at a time and I don't think I can get a jaffle one with 4?
    I'm sure you can (or you used to be able to anyway!) - my IL's had one.. Maybe if they don't have one in the stores, check op shops.

Hmmm, didn't expect to find such a strong current of pro- or anti- cut-in-two sentiment among the jaffle lovers LOL.

We have both but I prefer jaffles... especially with creamed corn & cheese!

We have both! I use the jaffle one if I want baked bean toasties and the flat cat for ham and cheese and other feelings. Baked bean jaffle toasties are the best! We have them almost every weekend

with jaffles, I remember spreading margerine on both sides, so more fattening. I fondly remember making a jaffle, u sliced some bananas, and add a bit of sugar. yummo, both sides buttered of course..

If it's the Breville Futura Snack Maker you've got your eye on, BUY IT!! It's so awesome. DH and I bought one a while back and it gets used at least twice a week! It fits quite a lot of filling in there and the super-sized plates mean you can get away with those big loaves of bread without having too much crust I'm a jaffle-style girl through and through, though I have been known to make ham and cheese toasted sangas under the grill at times... I much prefer the jaffle-style for no leaks My favourite is triple-smoked ham, tasty cheese, thinly-sliced pineapple and just a touch of BBQ sauce... yummmm! If I didn't have a big roast in the oven right now, I'd be tempted to make some for dinner!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast