Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else out there wanting to loose weight and get fit before TTC???

Default Anyone else out there wanting to loose weight and get fit before TTC???

Hey Girls,

I thought I might start a thread so those of us who want to get fit, healthy and lose a few Kilo's before trying to conceive can encourage either other on our mission

To give you a rundown:
    When I fell pregnant with DD, I was 12 kilo's heavier then when I got married 2 years earlier. I put on 13 kilo's with the pregnancy and 2 weeks after the birth I was down to my pre preg weight. Yippee! - so I thought. But then when breastfeeding failed I promptly put on 2 kilo's then since I've been on medication for PND I've wacked back on another 3 kilo's

I'm wanting to start TTC # 2 in September but I desperately want to lose weight and get fit to help avoid getting PE again and to increase my chances of having a healthy pregnancy and a successful VBAC.

I want to lose about 20 kilo's all up but at least have lost 15 kilo's before we start TTC.

I have just joined Curves and I plan to start counting calories ( allowing myself about 1500 per day).

Is there anyone else out there???

Hi Charli'smumma. I'm in the same boat as you. I have PCOS so any extra weight can make our journey more difficult so I am on a campaign to drop a few kgs before TTC in June. I know i'm going to reach my goal of 9kg before then but anything I can lose will help us.
    I too am counting calories, exercising daily and drinking heaps of water. I have a great website that can help you count your calories if you are interested.
    There was a thread for weight loss support I think we need to find it to give us some extra support.

LET'S GO TEAM WEIGHT LOSS!!!!!

Ok so I'm not technically wanting to lose weight before TTC but we are going to a wedding in Thailand in June and will start the TTC thing then. However, to look remotely presentable in my frock and also in my bathers I probably need to drop another 4kg before we go in 6 weeks so I will joing you girls as well.

I have lost 1.5kg in the last 2 weeks so am on the way.

Hey Nurse Dan & Nai,

Good to hear from you both

Nurse Dan, that website wouldn't be calorieking by any chance? It's a great site isn't it!

I have heard that it's tough to lose weight when you have PCOS. I've actually got Graves disease so you would think I'd be thin (and I did lose heaps of weight in the beginning, but lost a lot of muscle too unfortunately) but once I was put on meds I gained weight faster than ever and it's been a struggle ever since.

Nai, the wedding in Thailand sounds great.

Will let you guys know how week one goes for me!

It sure is Calorie King, LOL! After a discussion with DH tonight we have decided to start TTC when Af arrives so I had better get a huge wiggle on with my weight loss. Will let you know how I'm going when I weigh in in the morning.
    I've been tossing up doing one of those shakes diets for a few weeks to get a kick start but am so unsure whether to or not. What are your thoughts?

Personally I don't like anything that encourages you to eat "meal replacement" as once you stop them you tend to put the weight back on plus more. You don't really know what is in these shake things either especially if you are TTC you want to putting the least amount of rubbish, preservatives etc into your body as possible.

I would go with a more whole food approach that you can stick to throughout your pregnancy. Try to eat foods as close to their natural state as possible eg. lots of fuit and veg etc.

Thanks for your thoughts Nai. I decided against them for basically the reasons you mentioned.
    Well I weighed in this morning and so far I have lost 2.5kg. I am going to kick into gear with my exercise hopefully in the next few days when I shake this cold. Just don't have the energy at the moment.
    How's everyone else travelling?

Well I had a shocking weekend as far as eating and drinking goes so back on the wagon now. I need to pick up on my exercise this week as last week was a bit of a wipeout with illness etc. I only weigh myself once a week on Fridays otherwise I tend to get a bit obsessed....

Hi Guys!

Nurse Dan, how exciting that you are going to TTC soon

I've been tossing up about doing optifast for a few weeks just to get a head start too. But as Nai said, if you are going to start TTC soon, it's probably best to avoid the meal replacements anyway. I know that with Optifast you are not mean't to take it if you think you may fall pregnant.

Nai, I had a shocking weekend too. We had a belated birthday dinner for me and so I ate yummy Thai, had mudcake and I was also given a box of chocolates.

I'm setting myself a 15 week challenge - 15 kilo's in 15 weeks. I can't wait to start TTC (I so loved beiing pregnant) but I've really got to get this weight off!

Dan, out or curiosity, what type of nurse are you?

Charli'smumma - I'm a midwife. Just finished my qualifications, YAY!! Before that I was a surgical nurse which I was doing when I joined BB. Good luck on your 15 week challenge. I know you can do it!!!

Nai - Monday is my weigh in day. I get to disheartened so I'm only allowed to stand on the scales on Monday's. DH is very strict. But Friday is great idea. Weigh in before the weekend and you have a few days to correct it if you have a naughty weekend. I might need to swap weigh in days, LOL!!

Thanks Dan, I hope so!
    Sorry to get a little off the weight loss track here, but congrats on being a midwife! That is my ambition! I was at a couple of births when I was 18 & 20 and thought it was amazing but I got sidetracked, and 12 years later the dream has been re-kindled since having had Charli last year and I was a follow-through for a student mid. I got into the Bachelor of Midwifery through ACU but have decide to do the nursing first then do the post-grad in mid. I'm starting nursing part time next semester. Can't wait!

Hey ladies I read an interesting article in the Slimming mag.

It said that women with a BMI of more that 40 had a 46% less change of falling pregnant.

The article then went on to say that every BMI point above 29 decreased your chances of falling pregnant by 4% for each point. Pretty Scary hey.

I have lost about 30kg and have 20 to go until I am under that magical 29.

Good luck everyone

on the 30kg Kylie. That is an absolutely amazing weight loss. Well done!! I've heard about BMI affect your fertility which is why I'm trying to drop a few kilos. Do you know how to work out your BMI?

Charli'smumma - Good luck starting nursing studies next year . It is a great idea to do nursing first so you can learn about the human body before you learn the effects of pg on the body.

Hi guys, just wanted to wish you luck on your weight loss journeys!!!!! Just thought I would share my story... I was a little bit (just a smidge) chubby when fell preggers with DS - and gained about 22 kgs with him - which took me up to 96. After got home from the hospital I was about 89 - and then by the time he was 6 weeks old, was back up to 92. I devised my own diet plan - including menu plan (which included a bit of chocolate every day) and went down to 68.5 in about 5 months.
    Of course I'm back up to the late 80's now, but got an excuse - pregnancy weight
    So if anyone is interested in having a look at my menu plan, I'd be more than happy to share. Its based on a diet of 1200 cals a day, and I think I exercised for the first three weeks, and the weight kept dropping off!!!!! (I'm not one that loses weight easily either). As soon as this bub is out, I'll be going back onto the diet because its really easy to follow.
    Sorry to crash your thread - but just wanted to share my story, and if I can help at all, just let me know!!!
    Good luck to all of you!!!!

Hi Mel,
    Never apologise for sharing such a fantastic story of weight loss. That is amazing that you lost all that weight. It's fantastic. If you don't mind I would love to have a look at your meal plan. It is my diet that I am struggling with. I really struggle with knowing what to eat and what not to and how much.
    What kind of exercise did you do and how often?
    TIA,
    Dan

First of all Kyliekd, that is awesome, well done! And keep up the good work.

Mel, that is absolutely fantastic too! I would love to look at your meal plan. Thanks for sharing! I was a little similar to you. I was about 77 kilo's when I got married (still a bit chub but I was really fit and a comfortable size 12-14 which I was pretty happy with) but I got slack stopped excersizing and 2 years later I was up to about 90 which was what I weighed when I fell pregnant with Charli. I put on 13 kilo's during the preg and 2 weeks after having Charli I was back down to 90 but since i stopped b/feeding and started taking meds for PND I'm back up to 95. I really should get down to about 68 too but if i can at least get to 80 and also be fit again (just started exercising again) I'll be happy to start TTC then.

Dan, to work out your BMi, it's your weight in kilo's divided by (your height in meters squared)

EG: mine is 95kg divided by (1.67m x 1.67m)
    therefore it's 95/2.7889 = a BMI of 34
    And if i can get down to 80 kilo's it will put me down to a BMI of 28.5

Anyone who wants a copy of it is welcome to PM me their email addy and I'll forward the plan on to you. Its in Word format, so everyone should be able to open it :-)
    No viruses I promise

Well done Mel & Kylie on your weight losses - it's great to hear positive stories

Dan, I found that Fridays worked best for that very reason, if you have a bit of a slack weekend you can make up for it during the week.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast