Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes General Chatter #1

Wel done Mel....sounds like you are going great guns there...are you feeling anybetter in yourself? It all sounds so positive? i hope I am hlaf as good when I finally get there...hehe

your that good now, of course you will be when you are pg...

Thanks heaps... i can;t tell if I feel better or not, I am too tired!!!!

All these things you've got to look forward to Mel...

Bellgirl Guest

Abs - Thanks a few people have told me about that ice cream... do you know the brand? I just always crave something after dinner, I need to 'finish' the meal off with something about 15 minutes after!!!

-- I think Norco brand make a low GI low fat ice-cream, and there may be others.

Wow, just found this forum and thread. I have been having so much fun (NOT!!) adjusting to the whole idea of having GD. It has only been a couple of weeks since diagnosis, and I am still cranky and upset about it. Is that Pathetic? Having been someone who has never had worry about what she puts her mouth, to going to obsessing about what and how much is sending me a little over the edge. I went back to the GD team last tuesday to be informed that before my pregnancy was over that I would proably have to have insulin injections. Which I was oh so delighted about.

Sorry I have just launched right on in here. Can you tell this whole thing is making me more then a little cranky?

Christie26 Guest

Exclamation Confusion

Hi Everyone,
    I had my test done today for Gestational Diabetes and they advised me this afternoon that I am just on the border. I have to go in on Monday to talk about diet and will need to check my blood levels for a week. What I want to know is... should I be able to 'watch' my diet a little bit to change this. Is there anyway I will still be able to have a 'normal' size baby or will he keep on growing big and I will have to be induced.
    I was advised today that he was currently sitting at the 70% and should only be in the 8pound range which is fine with me as I was 8pd2. Yet last fortnight he was 93% so I started watching what I was eating already. I dont know if I am making any sense here or not. LOL....
    Basically what I want to know... if I watch what I eat from now on is there any chance I can have a normal 8pound something baby at the normal time or am I destined to be induced early or have a biggy??
    Thanks
    Christie :eek:

HI Christie, I'm assuming that you are around the 28week mark in your pregnancy? In answer to your questions every one is different. Some women have big babies, some can control the GD with diet and exercise, and some- like me - no matter how strict you are with your diet, will need to have insulin. The best advice I can give you is watch your carbohydrate intake, stick to low GI foods, like mulitgrain bread, brown rice, sweet potato instead of potatoes, weet bix, oats. The carbs affect you the most, and you just have to be careful with the serves you have. and I have had to eat regularly, like breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner, then supper, other wise I end up having a hypo! I have eaten more fruit and veges in the last couple months then I have in my whole life! Lots of salads and stirfries, fruit salad. But different foods affect different people. so it is a case by case assessment. It can be very overwhelming to get your head around, well it was for me, and now here I am with only 5 days to go, and feeling like an old hand at it. I have had to have extra scans to assess the babies growth, and while he is a little bigger then dates (about a week) he hasn't been off the scale. When you have had some more assessment, and if the results show that you are developing GD, i'll be happy to pass on any information that I have. I found some great recipes that were low GI and diabetic specific.

Good luck with it, and I'm more then happy to be an ear for you Christie. Take care

anyone around with GD now?
    i have just been diagnosed & would be great to chat with mums going through this now

HI melbee70,

I know I have had my babe now, but the whole experience of having GD is still very fresh in my mind. in fact I have to take myself off to have my 6week GTT (oops...seem to be running a week late!) Feel free to ask me any questions - it was pretty daunting in the beginning, and I got pretty upset about it all. but being on the other side of it, with a good result as far as my little man is concerned, makes it all seem so long ago.

I have seen another lady posting who has GD now, but for the life of me I can't remember which forum it was. if I find it again I will post it here.

Cheers

Melissa - I found the person - her ID is Confusedegg, name Chris, and she has posted in Pregnancy After Late Loss/ Recurrent Miscarriage/ Stillbirth ~ December06/January07 forum. I really wanted to be able to chat to someone who was experiencing it at the same time too. I hope that it helps...

Hiya Melbee70

I also have GD feel free to ask me anything or chat to me anytime. Have you just been diagnosed ?? Are you diet/tablet/insulin controlled ???

The hardest thing for me was the fact that no matter how hard i tried mine was not able to be diet controlled. But everything is going great for me now.

Im not able to PM but just let me know if u would like my email address

Cheers
    Char :biggrin:

jori Guest

Hi Melbee70

I too was diagnosed with GD, only 2 days ago. i have been feeling pretty down in the dumps. i go and see a diabetic doctor this afternoon which hopefully will put my mind at ease a bit. i wil be 27 weeks pregnant on fri. i didn't get GD with my first pregnancy. i will let you no how i go.

hi girls
    i got diagnosed about a 2 weeks ago - went to the diabetes clinic & did everything right but ended up having to start insulin yesterday - the drs are pretty sure i had it with my first baby as she was 11lb 4oz or 5.1kg - im doing ok with all the testing i have to do though it was really low before lunch & i didnt feel good at all - a bit scary since i live by myself with my daughter so hopefully the insulin will even everything out - im 27 weeks too so a fair way to go still

jori Guest

Hi everyone

Went and seen the diabetes doctor. He was really helpful. He said i will need to go on insulin as my reading was so high. I go on monday to the diabetes clinic. I'm sure they will put my mind at ease even more. Still its scary stuff. Feeling ok. Talk soon.

Hi everyone

Thought I would post in here to let you know my story. I had GD and was testing sugar levels 4 times a day and insulin 3 times a day before meals. If anyone would like to ask questions, go for it, I'm happy to help out where I can!

What I would like to add to this thread is all the doctors were telling me I would probably have a big baby, I was freaking out about that!! Being my first I found it all very daunting, but I had a ultrasound at 34 weeks and it showed my little girl was quite small, then I was induced at 39 weeks 5 days and she was only 5lbs 13oz (2.6kg). Then when the Obs. came around to give her a checkup on the third day she asked if I had got the dates wrong as her genetils looked 3 weeks premmie! I was quite surprised by this and told her I had got my dates exact and during the pregnancy the 19 week and 26 weeks ultrasounds I had showed she was going perfectly for the age. So stuffed if I know what happened, anyone else had this?????

Anyway what I want you guys to know is don't let the doctors scare you about 'big' babies and all that!! You all have enough to worry about with what to eat etc....

Good luck!

im sorry to crash this thread... just a little question...

If you had GD (on insulin) in ur first pg, are you likely to get it again? as in, is it a pretty sure thing?

Quote Originally Posted by emz View Post
    im sorry to crash this thread... just a little question...

If you had GD (on insulin) in ur first pg, are you likely to get it again? as in, is it a pretty sure thing?
    Thats pretty much the case. Each doctor I have seen during and since have warned me it is 98% certain I will have it in my next, due to the severity of it. But i am always one to look on the positive side and hopefully be more lucky next time round, even if that just means I have to finger pri-ck and check my sugar levels everyday, I just want to avoid insulin injections.

Although, they were doing a trial on the pills (instead of insulin injections) at the Womens and Childrens where I had Maya, I didnt want to go on the trial as it seemed a bit uncertain to me and the risks were a bit of a worry. But my doctor said if the trial is successful I will be able to choose a pill instead of injections.

Has anyone gone on the pill trial???

Hi there!

I am happy to help any of you lovely ladies with GD - I have had it each pregnancy (three times) and was on insulin (two types) and am now pre-diabetic but under excellent control with diet.

It is hard to deal with sometimes, but, with advice from others, not impossible.

Anyway, just thought that I would let you know that I am happy to help!

Seeya

Hi everyone,

Well I had my Glucose test yesterday and today my Ob called me to say I needed to have a retest to see if I have GD. I am a little stressed about it as I wasn't expecting it.

I did have a steroid shot 4 weeks ago to mature the baby's lungs just in case I were to go in early labour due to a late miscarriage in 2005. This could give me a false read but Ob thinks that is a little too long to still be in my system. Could I have caused this due to having a sweet tooth for cordials and juices?

I am not allowed to eat anything from now but I was wondering if I could have water? If it is not one thing it's another.

Still a bit confused about the results.

Linda

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast