Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes General Chatter #1

Thanks MelBel - I have seen the book, I will get a copy though... I forgot about it to be honest.

Skorpy - GL mate... I hope that you don't have GD again, although this time with new research you might find it abit easier!

Abs - Thanks a few people have told me about that ice cream... do you know the brand? I just always crave something after dinner, I need to 'finish' the meal off with something about 15 minutes after!!!

We are employing a diabetes educator at work she starts on Monday, so I will be speaking to her, and our dietitian is sending me some info (we are based at different sires) so that will be good...

Thanks for all the support guys, it's only 9 weeks to go!

Oh one more Q... What's the go with induction? I have read all the articles on main site and that, but was wondering what your personal feelings/experiences were!

Mel

skorpy Guest

Well here gos...result time later this morning. Think i will stuff myself with choc and sweets all this morning and make the most of it just incase.

Skorpy....fingers and toes are pretzeled for you hope it all goes well for you.

Mel...There is a trend with a lot of doctors that is slowly changing but not quickly enough in my humble opinion: They will tell you they want to induce at 38 weeks, but if you are healthy and the baby is healthy there is absolutely no medical reason for this. It used to be that there was a risk of macrosomia (big babies) or placental degradation leading to stillbirth which made induction a sensible thing to do but today with better methods of sugar control these risks have become much less and if your sugars are under control and the baby placental blood flow is still good and all other medical indications are positive then there is no real need to induce early. If they do push for an induction keep in mind that at 38 weeks your cervix etc may not be ready for it and there is a much higher risk of emergency caeser from failed induction. I know that I have made the personal decision after much research that if I am pushed towards an early induction I am going to go straight for a scheduled caeser because quite honestly I believe if your body is not ready for induction it is priming it to fail anyway and why take the risk....just my opinion though based on my research as a still not pregnant woman.....I amy feel very differently as a 38 week pregnant mum to be!!!

skorpy Guest

I can eat choc and drink coke untill my hearts content.It came back all clear

Really thought seeings i had it in my last pregnancy,i would have it again because the Doctors said that the chances would be high to get it again.

But i am having a scan this afternoon because i said i was worried about the size i was and i actually thought the Diabetes test was going to come back Positive.The Doc said my Fundus height was normal for what week i am.My Fundus height is 27 at 31 weeks pregnant.So i will see my bubs this afternoon

Skorpy - I hope all is ok... but it is normal for the fundus measurement to bo out a little!

Melbel - Thanks for that, I am so in two minds about it all... I will wait and see what happens a little down the track... if there is any medical reason to induce though I will do it. the safety of bubs outweighs anything else!

Melinda Guest

Just popping in to say hello.....I got a call from my OB this morning to say my GCT reading was a little high at 8, so I need to have the fasting GTT done. I'm having it done tomorrow......since I get so stressed and anxious about these things, I figured the sooner I did it, the better.

I didn't have any issues with the GCT when PG with Jacob (my reading was 5.something) so this is all a bit new and I must admit I'm a bit scared and freaked out.....

^ Good luck Melinda, many people fail the one hour and pass the longer test - an 8 isn't too bad so I would think your odds are good of coming through the 2 hour just fine

I went for my 2 hour test this morning - I have previous history of GD so we went straight for the long test. I feel like crap after it. I've been monitoring at home for the last few weeks and my levels have been ok so I'm hoping I might dodge a bullet with this preg (like Skorpy - congratulations btw! I would be OVER the moon! )

skorpy Guest

Thankyou Flea and mel It was a lovely surprise,seeings how big i am.But had my scan and it seems im carry slightly increased Fluid.I had this problem with my son on my first pregnancy.

The problems that may be causing it apprently are:

The baby isnt swollowing the amnotic fluid properly
    My kidneys are producing too much urine and with the babys unrine too.

Problems that MAY occur:

My waters may break early
    The umbilical cord could come out before the baby (Eek!!)
    Baby having breathing problems.

But like i said all was fine with my first pregnany when the ultrasound said i had increased fluid and i suppose they have to give you problems that MAY occur as a precaution.But i am having another scan in 2 weeks to keep an eye on it.

Melinda Guest

Can anyone tell me what your levels should actually be, i.e. what range is considered normal???

For a"normal" person a random test should show levels between 3 -7 mmol/l. 8 is borderline but you are pregnant and all pregnant women hit insulin resistance so you won't get a definitive answer without a full GTT. All people can throw a spiked sugar every now and then which is why they want to do the long test where they get a series of results which gives them a curve graph to look at. This shows them how your pancreas is responding over time if that makes sense. For example a fasting level might be say 4.2, the one hour eeading might be 8 but then the two hour reading which is when you have maximum absorption of a meal might be 6.3. You get a normal post meal spike at one hour but at two hours you should be recovering. It is if you are not recovering properly that shows your pancreas is stressed...or in my case totally stuffed...hehe!! A GCT reading of 8 is nothing to worry about on its own so try not to stress too much...I am sure you will be fine Hope this the info you were looking for

abs Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel09
    Abs - Thanks a few people have told me about that ice cream... do you know the brand? I just always crave something after dinner, I need to 'finish' the meal off with something about 15 minutes after!!!
    Hi Sorry for the delay in getting back to you

It's Peters Light & Creamy

97% Fat Free, Low GI of 46 or 48 (writing is pretty small) - Melbel can give a better indicator of how low that is... I think the mid-range mark is like 55 ???, and 13.5g carbs per serve, which is less than one slice of bread (15g) - at least if my memory is correct it is

And best of all, it taste pretty good.

The figures above are from the Caramel Triple Swirl container... other flavours might differ a little

Enjoy - we did tonight

Thats' pretty much right Abs....is at the higher end of the low range...medium GI starts at 50...so is a good one to pick......bread used to have 15 grams of carb Abs but these days is all those new high tin styles so most are 20 grams a slice....they've even had to design new "big" slice cheese to fit...hehe

Melinda Guest

Can I just say that I always eat the Peters Vanilla Light & Creamy!! I actually prefer it over full-fat icecream!!! I always have low fat milk etc too because I have a bit of a lactose intolerance that upsets my tummy if I have too much dairy. I'm ok with full strength yoghurt and some cheese (but cheese only in small doses IYKWIM).

So yeah, I can recommend that ice cream! LOL

Melbel - thanks SO much for that info. I found out today that my readings were 5.5 pre-drink, and then 2 hours later, it was 6.6 - so I guess I'm on the higher side of normal, but still within range, yeah?

yeah....you're fine at those levels.....congrats!!

Congrats Melinda!

Thanx Abs, I bought the Bulla Light one last nihgt and it's got a GI of 34... was a great treat!

Melbel - Is the new Low GI white bread ok?

abs Guest

Mel09, we've had it - tis not to bad at all, just that Jen prefers the local bakery bread to any pre-packaged one

Yeah...it should be fine.....don't know about the fibre content...we get the 'country grains loaf' from bakers delight but that's just because i get indigestion from all the preservatives in supermarket bread.

Well I am just SOOOO proud of myself at the moment...

I have been controlling the GD very well, I have not had a high BSL reading yet! and last night when we went out for dinner for a friends b-day, I ordered a chicken dish, minus the cream and the chips!!! I also was fine saying no to the pavlova b-day cake!!!

I thought this would be a lot harder, but really it's quite easy to controll... I think that knowing that if I don't do the right thing, it can in turn affect my baby and the type of labour/birth that I have, has given me the right foot uo the a$$ that I needed...

Mel, Skorpy and abs... thank you for the support and advice!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast