Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes General Chatter #4

Hello All,
    My levels have come back down thankfully.

My lunch yesterday was in the mid 5 range and then last night I went for dinner, and tried Pad Thai with a side of vegies. I figured if i was gunna blow my reading I'd at least enjoy the meal so I ate quite a good portion of the Pad Thai and my level was only 5.8.

This morning I had weet bix with sultanas and got a 4.7 so all ok. I'm thinking it was the banana but who knows.
    I just had lunch, I had multigrain wrap with tuna, corn and capsicum and a mandarin. See what that comes back as, i haven't had this combo before so be interesting.

On the other hand we just bought a car!!! Got a Holden Commodore (2003 model) so now have our car situation sorted in plenty of time for end of work in 4 weeks. Got a good price with low Km's and got extra rego included so we are happy. Nice big car for baby to go in and heaps of room in the back seats for car seat and also in the boot for the pram.

Anyway I'm off grocery shopping now (oh joy) so chat later.

Angel - I had to check the date for a sec there, I thought you had only just had bubs lol not that there is a problem with that lol
    Can't help you with your q, But am very interested in the answer. We are planning on trying for our next one early in the new year. Have until October (my 35th b/day) next year to get preg with next bubs or that's it. I am currently on insulin at night, so would liek to know what happened with others.

With subsequent pregnancies you have statistically have a slightly increased risk of getting GD again. As to whether you need insulin or not that is so individual. It is like how all pregnancies differ from each other...the stress that each baby places on the pancreas is diff so it is really hard to tell.
    One thing that is a bonus is that with modern knowledge of the past 5 years or so, if you know you are at risk you can follow a low GI diet throughout the pregnancy and that has shown to help lower the stress on the pancreas overall and may help prevent you from getting full blown GD.
    Low GI does not have to a PITA. If you look at the recipes in the diabetic living magazines etc what you can eat is awesome food and really is a diet that everyone should follow for good health.

hiya

sorry about that - i had to update my signature because it was still counting down for isaac, who i had 11 months ago

thanks for that information Melbel & Becci. I was on such high levels with Isaac - it's concerned me that it will happen again. All the other ladies i have talked to were on very low dosages of the same stuff.

i can't remember if i posted it in my last post. My dosages on the night before i had isaac were 22,20 & 26 units of novorapid. THen before bed 82 units of protaphane.

Food shopping is this friday so i will be starting the low gi diet on monday week. And i hope to start gloucse testing as well.

interesting stuff...

angel

So there is an increased chance of getting GD in other pgs after you've had it once, yeah?

Interesting stuff.

Good luck with your low GI diet and the testing, Angel. Hope it all goes great!
    hope you have a H&H pg and the GD stays away for you this time.

xx

Hello All,

Angel - Make sure you keep us posted on your progress, I'm in my first PG and very interested to see if and how to approach subsequent pregnancies and avoiding GD.

My weekend has been good. I went out on Friday night for dinner and managed a good helping of Pad Thai with some vegies and was mid 5 range. Then this morning I tried 2 slices of Fruit Loaf and again yep in the mid 5 range.

I have quite a few more things to try this week so I'll let you know how I go in case others are curious.. I say the more food ideas the better really. The Fruit Loaf I got is the Mighty Soft (Buttercup) Fruit & Spice.

Does anyone know where to get Buckwheat Flour? I have a recipe for diabetes friendly pancakes that uses it but I couldn't find it during my grocery shop this week. I got Wholemeal flour but no buckwheat.

Chat soon.

Hi Angel - Congrats on your pregnancy!!

Although I am only on my first pregnancy, I asked what would happen next time, they said a 60% chance of getting it again and that they would test at 12 weeks and if clear at that stage, again at 26 - 28 weeks. (that assumes I get the all clear at the 6 weeks post this baby test...)

My levels have been pretty good so for the past few days so it seems that I have a good balance of food and insulin for the moment. Have an Ob appoitment on Wednesday, so will see what he has to say.

Congrats on the new car snowchickie!! sounds great.

petas - thanks about the new car. Should have it by about Thursday.

Had another triumph tonight with shepherd's pie. I didn't eat alot of the potato topping but was still very yummy and had with a few slices of bread and vegies. hhhmmm

I had some low readings today so I thought I'd give dinner a real go. My bfast & lunch today were both in the 4 range. After dinner was 5.2. See how I go tomorrow now having said that.

My levels have been great the last few mornings, so hopefully eberythings settles down for the time being.

SnowChickie - do you have a healthfood store near you? or have you tried the healthfood isle at the supermarket?

Hi all

Day 2 of Maternity leave for me, so I went and had my legs waxed and now need to get some of my volenteer job done.

Becci - the heath food isle of our supermarket is full of gluten free things that are full of sugar. The only good thing I have found is the "well naturally" dark chocolate with no sugar and not may carbs. Snowchickie - hope you can get a better selection.

I saw some wholemeal crumpets yesterday and I was tempted they had no sugar and only 16 grams of carbs each, but what can you put on them? I doubt that there is a sugar free honey anywhere...

hope everyone is still getting good readings!

My fasting bsls have been doing really well the last few days.

However, I checked my bsls after a late brekky and it was only 3.4! So had a couple of biccies that I baked yesterday and then a mutigrain roll with lean chicken and light cheese. Checked my bsl with in 20 minutes of having the biccies and it had risen to 4.6. Phew! Just took my 2 hour bsl and it was 6.3. On the higher end, but at least it wasn't through the floor!

I was feeling a little lightheaded, but was in the middle of cleaning out the bathroom cupboard so just thought it was from bending down, etc.

Will have to keep an eye on them I guess.

Hope you're all doing well.

Same ol' stuff for me. I
    'm so over this right now but I need to get really strict with things again.

If I make it to at least 38weeks with no insulin needed, then I'm home free and won't need any for the rest of the pg, cause if my levels do rise then I can be induced from 38wks+... well that's what my OB said today... So 2 weeks.

That's excellent Tenny!
    I have just had a really naughty morning tea at a GFF house and my level after two hours was only 5.9! I was totally amazed!

That's a great level!
    How's the insulin going?

Going well, now.
    Have drs app tomorrow arvo, will see what he says

Fantastic to hear. Good luck with your appointment tomorrow.
    xx

pachamama Guest

Hi All
    I just found out yesterday that I have GD. I'm so surprised. Like many of your stories I've got no history of dietary problems, no family history of diabetes, am not overweight, already eat very healthily and get a good amount of exercise. Such a bummer. I do feel very disappointed in my body which never lets me down. This is my second pregnancy. I didn't have GD with my first but did end up having a 4kg baby (not overdue - bang on due date) and a very long, arduous labour...So I'm trying not to be paranoid about having an even bigger bub this time round.

Can anyone who has had GD in a previous pregnancy tell me if they had big babies and if they were able to go to term?

I'm also really confused about low GI diet...For example I'm really surprised that Basmati Rice is better than brown rice!!! And that fruit isn't necessarily that good...I have a sweet tooth so I think I'm going to struggle with all this...Is it ok to have the occasional cake or muffin? Or is it not worth the higher readings?

Thanks for any info.

Welcome Pachamama!

There are a few of us who were pretty surprised to get GD - I have a similar story to you, the only risk factor I had was age..

In terms of diet it does take a bit to get used to and it is trial and error with what works for your body. I can't touch any sort of bread (without insulin) but spuds were OK for me. I would see how you go with levels before you start cheating too many people will be looking at them!

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast