Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes General Chatter #4

today i'm trying salad (lettuce, tom, cheese, carrot, capsicum, cucumber) with can of tuna in it. And half a Low GI Multigrain wrap (full wrap is 16g of carb) so i'm hoping the half piece might be ok. Seeing a dietician this afternoon. Hopefully level today will be good.
    Dinner last night i tried small serve (1 cup pasta and 200g mine) of spag bolognaise with side of heaps of vegies. Got 7.7 after that.

I have been busy the last few days so only just getting here now to update you all on my visit to FMC on Friday.

I saw the Medical Registra and she is a little concerned that my fasting bloods are a little over the mark. Not drastically but a little (still usually under 6). And seeing that as my pregnancy progresses there will be more demand on the insulin she wants me to take a long acting insulin (protaphane 6 units to start with) at night.
    So I have an app on wed to get me all set up with the stuff.
    Not that happy about it, but it's the best thing to do. She comforted me in saying that the lancettes hurt more than the insulin needles, so that's nice.
    Also the dr there wants to induce me in my 39th week if I haven't gone before. So bubs will be born no later than 7th August now.

Well it's almost Monday again and I have to say i've had a good weekend.
    Since i began testing, last Tuesday night, I've only had 3 readings over 7.0.
    I've discovered, with great surprise that i can eat:
    - Weet Bix with banana & strawberry
    - Beef Stiry Fry with hokkein noodles
    - Tea with real sugar at snack time
    - Vegie soup with salad (can add a piece of bread to this as only got 4.4)
    - 1/2 cup porridge with banana & strawberry
    - Homemade chicken soup with a multigrain dinner roll (Great recipe, easy to make, VERY filling and the best tasting soup I can remember in a long time. Let me know if anyone wants the recipe)

THE BIGGEST SHOCKS:
    On Saturday I had a good friend's baby shower.
    My after lunch bsl was 4.4 so I indulged and had a small cupcake (size of 20c piece), jam shortbread biscuit, half a multigrain sandwich with cheese and tomato and some fruit. My fabulous friend and her mum made sure there was diabetes friendly food for me to eat, and made sure there were plenty of huge strawberries for me the eat.
    For dinner the same night we went out for another friend's birthday and I had chicken snitzel, with chips with vegies.. I thought for sure my levels would be out after dinner due to sweet things in the afternoon and then the restuarant meal and the fact that i had a few extra chippies as they were really good, but it was only 5.7 after dinner. I was SOOO happy.
    Then to top things off, i grabbed a loaf of Wholemeal Vienna bread from Baker's Delight today in another attempt at a sandwich (last two sandwiches have sent me over 8).. And today I managed a sandwich with this bread and only hit 4.4!!!!! I am so cheering.. I'm slowly finding more and more things to eat and it's been good so far. I'm still preparing myself for the next high reading during this trial and error stage but so far so good. So out of 17 readings, i've only had 3 over 7.0... I hope this is good...

Question: If I can keep my levels at this (i'm averaging in the 5 range) does that mean i should not require insulin??

This week I want to trial the "no added sugar" cordial and also Diet Coke.
    Last edited by snowchickie79; June 15th, 2008 at 10:30 PM.

Sound excellent SnowChickie!!
    I would assume that you wouldn't require insulin. However, as our pregnancies prgress there is an increasing demand made on the insulin, so things might get a little more difficult then.
    Keep up the good work, your doing great!

Got my Novapen and insulin today. The insulin wasn't cheap either. Oh well I need it.
    The DE made me use a disposable syringe to show her that I could actually 'inject' myself without a problem. There was nothing in it and I didn't actually inject anything into myself, just pierced myself. Wow, I didn't feel a thing! Very surprised at that.
    So I will check my bsl and give myself my first real injection in about an hour and a half.
    Feeling much better about it all now.

Just found a great list of food ideas with 1st choice, 2nd choice options and brand names for each category.

It is for diabetes in general and does have some foods listed that you shouldn't eat during PG but thought it was useful for ideas and brands we see on our shelves. May give you some options to try.

URL www.diabetesoutreach.org/des_shop.pdf
    Last edited by snowchickie79; June 19th, 2008 at 05:31 PM.

Becci - Great hear everything went well with your insulin. xx

Snowchickie - Thanks for the info. I'm going to check it out.

How is everyone going?
    I'm still plodding along, blah blah. Trying to think of new things to have for dinner that I can actually have. I'm struggling with it.

Has anyone tried the fruit loaf/toast before?
    If so how'd it go? I've kinda been wanting to try it, but I'm not sure. Lol. I might just wait 5weeks and have it after the baby is born, just like juice and everything else I've been passing up on for the past 25weeks. I can't wait.
    Last edited by Jewel; June 19th, 2008 at 07:47 PM.

Tennykins - I've been wondering about the fruit loaf also. We had a thick cut loaf of it in the house the week I got my GD diagnosis and the smell of it and not being able to have some was shocking. That link I posted to the list has a few fruit loaf listings in it. Just give it a try for breakfast and see if it affects your levels, if not then brilliant but at least you'll know. Personally I've really felt like some Chicken Twisties today.. I have a packet in the cupboard, wonder if a few would really hurt??
    I've been struggling for ideas also, I just got a diabetes cookbook online so when it arrives i'll let everyone know if there are any good dinner ideas. So far the only dinner i've had a problem with is spaghetti bolognaise. I've had stir fry, steak/chicken with vegies, chicken schnitzel, homemade chicken soup (which I'm definetley cooking again as it was so yummy), italian chicken casserole..I'm going to give meatballs & spag a go over the weekend. Even lunch has surprised me, baked beans on toast was AOK, I had vegetable soup (which is actually quite nice) with salad and a multigrain wrap and again AOK.
    I'm going to buy a few things from the list I posted earlier and see how they go. Give me some other options. I've even been having a sip of Diet Coke here and there during my snack and seems to be ok. Just been a sip or two so nothing dramatic.

Good question though - If your levels are good, is it ok to have these little things occasionally, like a little diet coke, or 1 x choc biscuit (i haven't had a choc biscuit yet but I've been tempted), or like half a handful of twisties??? Or does that run the risk of potentially ruining the good levels over time?

I saw my OB on Wednesday and he was really happy with progress. Has anyone lost weight with GD??

I haven't had a good week in other areas. On Wednesday I found out that the company I work for is being relocated to QLD and so unless I wish to move I've been given 4 weeks notice. I only had 6 weeks of work left but this has thrown a bit of a spanner in the works. This will mean I'll be off work at 35 weeks PG. I am quite happy about the leave part but this will be the first time I haven't had a job (I started with the company straight after my final HSC exam and have been there almost 12 years now).... I also have a company car so in 4 weeks I loose that so last few days I've been arranging finance to get my own car, which I knew was coming but was not expecting to have to give the car back till early December due to long service leave & annual leave. Bit daunting and scary.. To top it off I have a cold so i have a sore throat, sneezing and blocked nose. Hubby said i've been snoring which I don't normally do.

How is everyone else's week going?

diet coke has SFA calories so go for it...just watch the caffeine as with normal coke. try sprite zero, solo sub zero etc...they are all good. for a fruit toast, bakers delight does an apricot delight which is low GI..you can get them to toast slice it.
    i just got the latest diabetic living mag in the mail as I subscribe and there are some yummy stews and pasta dishes I am going to try. oh and a pumpkin and sweet potato soup that sounds pretty good too. oh and for the sweet tooth a rhubarb and apple crumble...all low gi stuff

My week has been ok so far.

As for the good levels and having some not so good foods here and there, I know I've been doing that. Lol. I think I'd go insane if I didn't.
    I switch between Coke zero and diet coke. The zero sprite is nice too.

With the weight gain/loss dealio... I lost weight at first, then I it didn't show I'd gained or lost any, which I think was cause I'd lost my own weight, but the baby weight was replacing what I'd lost ( if that makes sense )
    I've only just started to show some gain in this last 2 weeks at my OB appointments.
    I'm pretty happy about it.

Sorry to hear about your job and I hope you feel better with your cold.
    xx

hello Every one

snowchickie79 I have lost weight with GD still think I am as long as baby ok I dont mind as long as it stays off after I have her Ill be happy

Have to make my booking in a ppointment heading up to Nambour any one know what they are like for GD bit nervous I was very well looked after in my old hospital so a bit nervous to how it will go now

what levels do they start to get fussy with mine are creeping up after breckfast to 8 or 9 the odd 10 fasting is ok mostly, lunch does be fine but Im on insulin at lunch time Im trying to leave it till two hours after I eat to test as it was 1 hour back in ireland

I have to say I dont feel so deprived here in Australia food taste so much better as in fruit and veg Im in heven so plain meat and two veg taste so good instead of bland used to depress me so much at home.

only 10 weeks and 4 days left now and hopefully GD will be gone for good

hi all

Glad to hear everyone is going well - my levels are OK - and I haven't had to put the insulin this week (week 35 supposedly a hard week to get through). Today is my last day at work, so I have been a bit busy.

When I needed something diferent for dinner I found the wholemeal tortilla's and made soft taco's. Each tortilli has about 17 grams of carbs and SFA sugar (so I had 2). Add in the mince and heaps of lettuce, tomato, avacardo, and some cheese... my levels were fine after this, but check out any sauce you add..

I lost a bit of weight at the start and have only just gained it back, all bub's, I know from measurements and my clothes that it is not landing on my butt. On the upside the GD diet I decided to share with my husband (we are in this together) has got 2 kilo's off him!

Way to go with your husband losing weight too!!!!

If only my DP would do the same.
    When I found out about the diabetes, I felt so alone, he didn't change his diet to help me through it at all, he didn't even do any exercise with me either (even though he needs to lose weight).
    It was the perfect opportunity for him to get healthy and all that for himself aswell as helping me cope with it all.

tennykins - Same here, two days after i found out, hubby cracked open the last of our cadbury easter eggs from easter and into the fridge it went. Not a good move.

Question: I'm a bit stressed at the moment due to work issues and being given 4 weeks notice, I also have a cold which is making me feel crappy. Last night I got 4.8 for dinner which was great, this morning i had my normal porridge with banana & strawberries. I didn't have a tea with it but my level came back at 7.6 which way high. Normally with this bfast I get early 5 range. Would it be that i'm sick, or the stress, or was it probably just the banana was overripe?? I seen that banana is medium GI but it has to be just ripe to be medium GI otherwise i'm assuming it jumps to high GI. It really didn't help me this morning in terms of how i'm feeling (sick and worried) so i'm wondering why the high reading with the normal breafkast i've been having.

What do you guys think?

Could be just cause you're not well and stressed.
    I know when I had a cold a few times my levels were different then the usual.
    I'm sorry I can't help anymore.
    Hopefully it was just a one off.

xx

I can't believe your husband did that with the easter egg. I would have been soooo sooo mad.
    I was suprised with Easter. I had some easter eggs, a few more then I know I should have, and I was having ice cream here and there too. It was the recommended one, but still. Then I had to have that Hbac1 BT. I was so worried about the results.
    Turns out they were fine. They were 6.0. I cried with relief I was so worked up over it. lol.

Hi guys. I've had two mornings post insulin now. The first morning was 5.9 too high, and todays was 5.3 so just under. I was meant to see the dr this morning but he's sick so don't see him til next thurs. I could have seen someone else today but thought it can wait.
    I lost 1kg in the forst week on the GD diet, but most of that week I had no idea what I could eat so I wasn't eating too much. Now I've been the same weight for the last two weeks, so loosing it in myself I guess. Tummy's getting huge now.
    I made a yummy veg, legume and pasta soup the other night and was naughty and had two lovely slices of pasta dura bread with it and my levels were fine. I'm wondering if the bread is made with a different wheat so makes it ok? Soup was lovely so will be making that again. Something I can have for lunch too.
    Going to be a little naughty tonight and have some microwave popcorn (I need the butter fix lol) as we are having a dvd night on our NEW LOUNGE SUITE!!! Yay!
    Have a great night everyone.

snowchickie - I had some really bad readings when I had a head cold and stress does not help - hope you can relax a bit on the weekend and that will bring the numbers down.

My hubby didn't get much choice re the diet since I do all the shopping and most of the cooking. If he decides he wants bad food then he can have it at work for lunch and not in front of me!

Becci - hope tommorow mornings reading are better.

hiya

well, i'm back. some of you might not remember me but i had GD on insulin with my little boy isaac. I had him on the 23rd of July.

I'm pregnant again due around the 20th of Feb. My question is - ladies if you had GD on insulin with a pervious pregnancy did you have it again with the next and was it better, worse or the same as before. Oh and when did they test you for it?

i dunno if i can go through the injecting four times a day, hypos and finger *****. i'm nervous about it, but when it gets down to it i will.

angel

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast