Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Camping Thread

Romantic spot Alish!

Mrs Bexie - sorry the weather got in the way of your trip.

Audax - Nice weekend! But I get what you're saying about coming and going all the time.

Trish - How did you go on the weekend? See anything you liked?

We had a look at an onsite van in Cowes I thought would be great (it has water views), but we were put off by it's musty smell and lack of light (too many trees and neighbours jammed together). On looking at them we realised it's not what we want. The fees per annum are so high for something we aren't totally in love with. We'll just stick with towing our own caravan down there for now!

Our long term plan is to save up to buy a holiday house somewhere on the Island within the next few years anyway, so an onsite van is a bit of a compromise LOL! We saw a house in Smiths beach that was perfect for us, but we don't have the money yet! It's always fun to dream though .

We enquired at our favourite park about camping there over the Christmas holidays, they are already booked out, but said to ring them in October when they require those who have left deposits to pay in full. They said a few people cancel their booking so we might be able to get a site after all. Fingers crossed!

Anyone else got any trips coming up?

The fees are pretty full on for that sort of thing. Our favourite park is the same, and you're only allowed so many days a year to spend in it. Hope you get into your park over Christmas

Our next trip is at the end of August, where we're hitting the Murray at Mildura to try our luck at some fishing. The van is off the road at the moment anyway. We removed the rear panel we damaged and are getting a new piece cut, only going to cost us about $80 which is great. It'll be a different colour for a little while though, the panels only come in white, whereas the camper is cream, but we'll get around to painting it. We got a new quote on the feet to and thank goodness we did. Our original quote came in at $150 per foot and then $150 for installation. The quote we have now is $50 per foot and we know someone who can weld them on for us. Glad we shopped around. Found a great accessories place on the Hume so we'll be going there for everything. Our long term plan is to gut the camper and start again. Bit excited about that

We got our back panels today on the camper - the guy at the service place had them cut and ready to go......and he didn't charge us! He said he wasn't going to charge us for a bit of tin, we're so grateful! DH put them on tonight, they're white so need to be painted cream to match the rest, but there are no more dints or crushed bits. We bought some new tail lights too, so it's all fresh Got the feet too, so we're nearly back on the road, just waiting to get them welded on

Yay PRM!!!! How exciting!!!

We pick up our new Jayco Eagle outback in 2 weeks!!! Wooot so excited!!!!! Now to decide where to go! Willbe just a weekend so was thinking Marysville which is rebuilding and close to Lake Mtn or Ballarat is the other option! Will be cold wherever we go, am planning an oil heater and electric blankets.... Soft I know!!! Anyone else with weekend suggestions from Melbourne much appreciated!!!

Oh YAY, Tanstar! That's awesome! Love the Eagle, we were looking at it at the last caravan show!

We got a great little fan heater, warms us up a treat - and the best thing is if it's knocked over, it has a switch on it that turns it off if the heater is no longer upright. Our good close weekend spot is Phillip Island. Under 2 hours for us.

I just read through this thread from whoa to go for the first time -wow so many great ideas, and have to say though, miss you Lulu Still so tough seeing her sig and posts.

PRMG - I would have ebayed the camper too You poor things!- touch wood our first time out won't be too eventful! Phillip Island is a good idea - might look into it for next week - it's going to be freezing but I wanna christen it and if the weather is clear we could rug up at night and go to the Penguins - do they come out at this time of year!

Trish - how exciting about looking at places hun, I think you are right though, at least right now you can choose where to go with the van - although a permanent house would be noice wouldn't it!

I feel overwhelmed but what we might need to set this thing up, might just get stuff as we need it and it pops up - we have basics for now, and over summer when we are going more often I will do a stock up on long life stuff like soups etc.

Ballarat is another one on my list - has anyone stayed at any places there??

Tan - When do you pick your camper up? You're going to have so much fun!! If you stay down at the Island, stay at the Cowes Caravan Park in Church Street if you get the chance! It is on the beach and walking distance from the town centre. The facilities are fantastic and so clean. A lot of the camping areas in the park are closed off at the moment, they try and regrow the grass over winter, but I'm guessing this time of year they won't be booked out .

Just make sure you have crockery (plastic of course!), cutlery, cups, mugs, a bucket, a broom, dustpan and brush, washing up gear, a door mat and you'll be right Oh, and don't forget some plastic wine glasses, it's not quite the same drinking out of a normal cup (says I from experience )

ETA - We stayed one night in Ballarat on our big trip last year. We stayed at the Big4 caravan park which was really nice, but quite expensive! The staff were so friendly though. We didn't stay long enough to rate it though.

Tan - Adding on from Trish's suggestions - blocks of wood or some sort of device that will prevent the camper from sinking if you have soft ground! We've seen one sort that you can fill with water - stops you sinking in winter and stops the ants climbing in summer! Penguins will still be coming in - and take the kids to Churchill Island, and out to the working farm. There's a fee to go out to the farm, DD absolutely loved it and it was just a lovely place to be. And you're right, you won't know exactly what you need to make it work for you until you're in it. We've had a few trips now and we've only just figured out the best method for us for storage!

We should do a BB camp

Trish - Finally got the Hema Camp book. It's sensational

Thanks Trish! We get it on Tuesday 12th - it's our 8 year wedding anniversary!! What a nice pressie hey!!! Thank's for your list!! I just can't make up my mind where to go - I want to go somewhere that if it is like today - revolting there might be some indoor things to do but if it's just cool but not rainign we have other stuff to do haha - not asking much! My other thought (of many) was Marysville so we could do Lake Mountain one of the days but might leave that for another weekend! Arggh!

Ohh a BB camp.. ladies trip.. no men
    I've got a tent (which i assemble without male assistance) so the girls and i are ready to go..

I love camping, i miss camping, i loved when we took the girls before easter and then again at our van for easter, DD keeps asking to go camping and fishing, am thinking if we get some ok days i might just put the tent up in the paddock and sleep out there for a night or two.
    Maybe we can turn my paddock into a camp ground, it's not quite flat though

Quote Originally Posted by ~ Zarava Flutterby ~ View Post
    Ohh a BB camp.. ladies trip.. no men
    Fat chance of that! I'd have to run away first. DH would camp every night of the week if we could.

ETA - Tan, when you get your camper, it should come with canvas covers for the end bed bits. They'll either be bags to cover the ends, or tarps that you pull out with poles. This will keep the moisture off the ends, otherwise your bed area will be damp.

Thanks PRMG - it does have bag ends that get assembled and the blocks are a great idea! Churchill Island sounds ace too! ABB trip sounds like fun!!

BTW - Everytime I see your username in my head I say PakRakMegee haahaa don't ask why it's just my weird brain!

I'm subbing!

Looking at buying a tent in a couple of weeks!

I've only ever been camping twice and I was very young but I think the kids would absolutely love it.

So anything to look for in a tent? Things/brands to stay clear of?

Tents - aren't made the way they used to be we lokoed for one of the good old canvas ones on e-bau but missed out on the one we wanted.
    Depends what you really want, most of the newish ones are the flexi poles, fairly easy to setup but most have a lot of netting for air ventilation and can be quite cold.
    Not sure of brands to steer clear of but i strongly suggest shopping around, we got ours, from Big W on special. it's HUGE.. i can check what brand if you like.

How exciting hun!!! We have since bought our camper but we bought a 3 room tent first, it was one from Anaconda and was relatively cheap - around $300 I think. It was good as we could fit our 2 mattresses one up each end and the second night we were there it was raining and we could fit our esky and chairs in the middle section with plenty of room while the kids slept. I also highly recommend Dune 4x4 mattresses, they are big but awesome, warm and no sort hips in the morning!

ETA: Ours is a Spinifex and ZF is right - the canvas are great and warmer but a lot more expensive!

Tan - LOL at PakRakmagee! Whatever works hun!

TMS - We got out tent from Kmart, it's a two room dome tent. Worked well until we had DD and went camping with her and our two dogs - it rained all weekend (50mm) and was a laughing disaster! I think for a family, the more rooms you have, the better. One can be set up for sleeping, another for storing, etc.

Wow you girls are quick! lol

Yeah I've been looking around for about 6 months umming and arrring over them. I think I like the T shaped ones best, biggest room in the middle, slightly smaller room of either side and a mesh sort of room off the front of the bigger room, if that makes any sense haha.

Are you finding the cheaper tents ok? I had a look at Big W today and they "looked" cheap, but maybe they really are ok? (frankly, what would I know). I'm kicking myself I didn't decided to get one last week anaconda had an awesome one for 1/2 price down to $300...but I'm sure other places will have sales between now and christmas.

I read through the list on the first page to get an idea of what we need to be looking at but the biggest problem is how/where do we actually go and how do we go about it....yes tragic I know, neither DH or I are really "outdoorsy" type.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast