Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Younger Couples Chat ~ January 2008

Kass I say that he is 10 months, then if i get a comment about his size or not doing thigs ect, i say but he was early and is only actually 7.5 months. Try to make people understand that he may be 10 months old, but developmentally he is 7.5 months.

I'm actually worried about his speech, he's not making any defined noises. He just makes sound. according to my health book he shoulda been making ooo and aaa and bbbb and gggg and dddd sounds months ago

becky sleep apnoea can be hereditry, but I think that you would know if the kiddies have it. They would be tired and grumpy all the time, because the brain is waking them up when they aren't breathing. Info on Sleep Apnoea

Hmmm heres a random thing:

Brendan was given CAFFEINE in hospital... to treat Apnoea of Prematurity. Interesting huh? it keeps the brain awake. Works different in infants than adults though!

becky Guest

Oh ok thanks sally. One thing though. Chels does tend to sleep a lot! She is almost 3 months old now, but only stays awake for an 1 - 2 hours at a time. I dont remember Liam sleepiung quite as much as she does. Is there any other signs to look out for?

Whew, much reading to catch up on hehe.

Thanks for all your advice on whether DH takes full-time or not. I think we've decided for him to stay on casual for now. like you said, its 56 hours extra for $350 a fortnight, plus i really need him around for the next few months. Also when things have settled down with the new baby he may even go for a job elsewhere, at the moment he works as a kind of baggage handler for the interstate trains and since he has experience in that area he prolly wont have a problem getting a job at the airport and they pay about $22 an hous as opposed to $17 he gets where he is. So we'll see what happens. Even if he stays where he is, his boss likes him and knows that he doesn't have any other commitments (no second job or uni, alot of the guys that work there go to uni) so she may turn around and offer him another position when one pops up in a few months anyway.

Ali, we had Dylan in daycare when he was younger and it went great, i haven't really thought about it for Shane though. I have to admit i'm a bit more attached to Shane, i mean not that i love him more, its just he's such a sweetie and he's my baby and he's much more attached to mummy and daddy then Dylan was. Dylan loved going out and playing with other kids (still does) but Shane really freaks out if we aren't nearby. We left him in the creche at Flinders so i could have an appointment, it went for about an hour and when we came back they said that he'd only just stopped crying, but of course Dylan was there having a great old time and didn't want to leave. I know its a good idea to get him used to the idea of leaving us for a few hours but also i think it hurts me even more then it hurts him to see him cry like that. Have to think about it for a while.

Welcome Tiff

bredansmum: Every bub devalopes differently, its great 2 read up on thingsbut dont take it as gospel, Brendan will do things at his own rate he may have been prem, but hes also got his own personality and he just might not want 2 make those noises yet. I dont know from experience but I can imagine being a mummy of a prem would b scarey and it would b easy 2 worry if he's developing at the right pace. But all bubs r different and thats what makes it great. Heres something 2 build ur confidents: my cousins DP was born 3months prem and they said he would nver catch up and if he does in height he wont in his brain, goes to show much they know, in grade 2 he was the size of a grade 6 boy and in yr 12 he graduated with a enter score of 95%. :-)

Jo: im glad u worked out whats right 4 u and ur lil fam. :-)

Welcome Tiff!!!

OMG have I been sleeping a lot! Monday I fell asleep on the couch at 8pm, then went to bed at 11pm and woke up at 11.45am. Then last night I fell asleep on the couch again about 9am and MIL rang this morning at 10.45 and woke me up. Plus having naps during the day.

We are getting a chocolate labrador puppy on Sunday. And its got a great temprement when it comes to kids. The breeder has an 8week old. Only down side is its 2 1/2 hours drive to pick it up then 2 1/2 home, and the car makes me sick at the moment.

Sally, Charli is being treated with caffeine as well.

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Morning all!! (Or good afternoon to some!!)
    There is this huge bug on my wall! Its scary!!
    Im feeling in a better mood today hopefully it sticks, and doesnt jump to a emotional day like the last two...
    Umm, yeah, ill be back later to catch up!! Hope everyone is happy and healthy!! :hugs:

Hey girls,

Jade It is normal for a bub who hasn't had tons of time with other people to be suffering separation anxiety. Be strong and he will become more independant. 1 of the boys at playgroup was enrolled in childcare and cried the whole time but when his mum dropped him off she had nothing planned that she couldn't cancel or do with him, so she went back and picked him up after half an hour. make sure u have something you can't get out of or take him to.

Becky, Chels could be just a good sleeper. brendan sleeps all the time. On a typical day he gets around 18 hrs sleep. On a "bad" (some of you other mummies are going to yell at me for calling it bad, hehe) day he sleeps 15hrs. On a really good day he can sleep up to 21 hrs!! He's just a sleeping and eating and growing!! Babies are likes puppies, they need their sleep to grow.

Jade, great to hear about your decision, I think it is for the best

Kass, I realise bubs develop differently and brendan is going at his own rate anyway, he's made his own "curve" on the growth charts. the reason I am worried about his speech is because for almost 6 weeks he had tubes down his throat, for the first 1-2 weeks of that there was breathing tubes as well, and that has to have some effect on his vocal chords. I know he will do it in time, and it's not bothering me that hes not doing it now, even though it would be nice. It will however bother me if the health nurse or Paed picks up on it. I have his Paed check coming up and that is always a difficult time for me. I'm always worried that they are "looking" for something wrong, iykwim?

Sal, hehe the tiredness of being PG has hit get the sleep now while you can!

Ash, it spun me out when I learnt of the caffiene... it's quite strange really the down side though is it is a drug and like drugs, it needs to be weaned. brendan had major "crashes" and some bad spells of Apnoea and Brady's(low heart beat) and desat's(low oxygen level in the blood) once he was off it, really scary moments. He was almost 5 weeks old when he came off the caffiene...druggie lol

I think that everyone, sorry if i've forgotten someone :d
    Take Care

Jade- No problem about the advice. Glad you've made a decision, for now its for the best.

Sal- Get as much sleep as you can now honestly, the last 2months i've felt more like a night owl haha. Finally going to sleep at a "decent" hour and sleeping until after 9.30am most days unless i have to get up early. Cool on getting the puppy, but bummer you have to travel so far to pick it up and then travel back home, is there anything you can take to ease the travel sickness??

Meg- Did you kill the bug?, yuck i hate bugs. good to hear your having a better day today.
    Last edited by JCE0810; January 9th, 2008 at 11:58 AM.

Jo- I'll just make DF pull over every half hour or so, so I cant get out and walk around. Or I'll sleep the whole way!

Sal- I was thinking you could have a few "pit stops" along the way but thought it might just drag out the trip, but it your DF agrees to then you'll be able to stop & have a breather or yeah you could just sleep the whole way seeing as your so sleepy lately.

mummycate Guest

Hey girls!

Ellie's spots have almost gone, have no idea what they were. She's doing well, but can be difficult to get to sleep, but its much much better than 2 weeks ago.

She has taken to yelling. And squealing but mostly just yelling AAAARRRHHH!!!! at the top of her lungs. And we have no idea of how to get her out of that habit.

Other than that, its all going well. Just a few days until she goes to her dad. Hmm how to get her to remember him. I haven't mentioned him to her the whole time here, in case she gets upset she can't see him.

mummycate Guest

Oh, sorry I've been so selfish!

Sal, take some nibblies and ginger tea with you. Most nausea is caused by hunger in pg.

Sleep is good in babies. Its a worry when they don't wake for feeds. But lots of sleep is fine. I wish Ellie slept more. Oh well!

sal i agree with mummycate i still get really bad motion sickness and ginger helps, ginger t. Also make sure ur in the front seat and r looking at the road i find this helps alot and also helped when i was pg.

mummycate: im glad 2 hear that ellie is doing well, squealing, Bella does that all the time though shes much younger then ellie, iv heard its when they want ur attention.

Bredansmum: thanx 4 explaining that 2 me, poor little man with tubes in hes throat, do u think they would b able 2 tell if it's going 2 affect him? Good luck with hes appt at the Paed.

Cate- Glad that Ellies spots are almost gone, i wonder what they were.... Good that shes doing well apart from being difficult to get to sleep & yelling/squealing, maybe as Kass suggested she just wants attention?. I'm sure she'll remember her Daddy, i think you did the right thing in not mentioning Daddy as it might have just upset her & you that she couldnt see him & if your X finds out that you havent mentioned him hopefully he understands your reasons and doesnt take it wrong way.

Butterfly_Princess Guest

Howdy all!
    Sitting here munching away at a family bag of popcorn, yummy
    I didnt get rid of the bug, he is on my roof now. He isnt hurting me lol and i cant be bothered climbing cahirs to get him, plus wouldnt be too safe either. Ill wait till DP gets here.
    Cate i think not mentioning daddy was a good idea, im sure as she gets older she will start to understand and it will get easier. Im sure she will remember him maybe on the way to dropping her off or him picking her up you can talk about daddy and how she is going to see him very soon!! Not too sure how that would go??

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast