Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blended families chatter

Default Blended families chatter

Hi everyone

I was wanting to start a thread for Blended families to chat and get to know each other
    It would be great if we could introduce ourselves and 'our brady bunch'

I am not very experienced at conducting this type of thing but any suggestions/help would be great

I will start by introducing me and mine

I am married 5 years together 8) 1 son(23) 2 stepsons (19 16) 1 son together (9 months) yes all boys thank god 2 cats and 1 is a girl! and we all live together most of the time with the stepboys spending time with their mum also

Its a challenging role at the best of times but we are committed to making it work

I look forward to you posting here

Hi marlin

My DH and I have been together 4 years (married for 3). I have a 21 month old DD, 2 step DDs (8 and almost 13) and a step DS (10). We live in another town to the stepkids so only get to see them every second weekend and a week each school holidays. The kids are great, looking forward to having them for a week on Saturday. They love our DD, it's so beautiful to see - and she adores them of course!

We're just starting to come into the teen years with the eldest SDD so it will be interesting to see if/how things change. She is a wonderful girl but I just remember how I was in my teen years - my poor mum! I think we were lucky in a sense that DH and I got together when the kids were quite young. They were amazingly accepting of me from word go, but I imagine it may have been harder for you with teen stepsons?

thanks for replying Claire_A

I am in victoria too Melbourne

My stepsons were 8 and 11 when we met so one on the verge of the teenage years and my boy was 15 so an awkward time for him

It has been a bumpy road at times and never a dull moment
    I found it mostly goes well but 1 of my ss is not so open to it all
    We have a 9 month old too and so its a new challenge again for them all and for us as parents and doing it together my son and 1 ss love the baby but the other ss is not very interested

As you have said being a teenager is hard for most of us I found that letting my husband take the lead with the his boys is great but if we are not on the same page it can be tricky

we also did the weekend stays and holidays but as the boys got older they wanted to live with us which is good but constant too

We try to always do the best we can for the kids

Hi Claire and marlin, I have 3 children from a previous relationship/marriage and 2 and a bit lol from my now one. My poor DF didn't have any children of his own but now he is well on the way to being a dad of 6. He has a DSD and 2 DSS and for the most part they get on fine. We also have 2 DD's of our own and my other kids have no problems with them. We do have some interesting times lol as eldest DD is 15 (OMG) and a typical teenager.

It will be interesting to see what else will happen as DS1 gets older

Hi KimB

Wow you have a big bunch how great
    It sounds like you are doing fantastic with it all

Those teenagers are a challenging job mind you I have only parented teenage boys!
    I do have some teenage nieces and I see they have there own set of teenage issues too

nice to have you here
    lets try and drop in and keep in touch if we can
    have a nice weekend all

wait a minute whos in the house this weekend?? never a dull moment in my brady house

Our house is relatively quiet this weekend. My 2 boys are at their dad's and stepmums and DD1 is at a friends so all we have at home (until this afternoon anyway) is our 2 youngest DD's. Mind you they can make as much noise as all the other put together lol.

I just wish I could get some more sleep. I so tired but I keep waking up during the night and have so much trouble dropping off again. Hmmmmm I wonder if it's the pregnancy???

KimB congrats on the pregnancy how far along are you
    I had some sleeplessness throughout pregnancy

Our weekend was fairly quiet too

hope all is well in your places

We've got a full house this week! We spent the weekend visiting my sister and her family - her kids are similar ages to my steppies so they get along really well. This morning we went to a great playground and walked around the lake chasing the ducks lol! DD is now so pooped from running around with the older kids that she's fast asleep while the others go visit their granny. All in all it's been a great few days - DD loves having the kids around, and it's a great help to me as they keep her very entertained!

Hope you're all having a good start to the holidays!

I am enjoying watching the older kids playing with our baby its nice to see and it has made a connection between them all
    We have school hols too but all the big boys have left school so I borrowed my nephews 7 and 9 for a fun day out at scienceworks great day out

Do anyone else feel like the have 2 families I do at times as the changing shape of the household
    Hope you had a enjoyable week with the full house Claire_A

Hi to kimB
    Last edited by marlin; September 25th, 2010 at 03:05 PM.

Hi all, I'm joining late, but would love to join in. I'm very much a mum to a blended family, though the step kids live in various places. Between me dh and I there are 7 kids. I have 4 steps kids, dss22, dsd20, dss18 and dad soon to be 16. We have the 18 and 16 yr olds every 3rd weekend. Then I have 2 girls from previuose relationship who are 10 and 7. They go to their dads every 2nd weekend. Then we have an ours she is 26 months. When they're all together it can be a hand full but it doesn't happen that often any more as the older two are pretty much doing their own thing.

Will be nice to chat to others in similar situations.

Welcome sweetpea - wow you definitely have a full house when everyone is at home! You must need a good calendar to keep track of who is coming and going at your house lol!

Marlin I love watching my steppies play with DD too - it's great isn't it! I know what you mean about it connecting everyone.

Hi Kim - hope you're pregnancy's going well & you're getting a bit of sleep.

Well our week turned out to be a bit more eventful than anticipated. DSD who is almost 13 fell off her skateboard and broke her arm!! So we all trekked off to the emergency dept including our niece and nephew who we were looking after for the day. The kids actually got a buzz out of it - at least they'll have something to report back on when they go back to school lol!

Hi all
    checking in again
    welcome sweetpea so nice to have you here
    wow you are a big bunch it must be hard keeping track of everyone
    I find it hard keeping track of 4 let alone 7 you must be one busy woman

claire nothing like a good drama to keep all entertained

Well we have a wayward teenager DSS 16 at the moment he is testing out the water and pushing the boundaries mostly my dh deals with it but it does impact on the household in general

Well its end of holidays here not that it affects this house alot as 2 elder boys past school and 16 yr old in tafe
    before we know it will be xmas time

hope everyones places are running smoothly

Hi marlin,

It can be hetis at times. I reli on my calendar alot for organization as without I would have no clue who we had each weekend etc. My dh also shift works so kneed the calendar to be able to plan anything he needs to be at to. I don't find it to hard as we really only have my two and ours mostly.

Hope everyone is well with you all.

Morning girls

My DH and I have been together 8 years I have 2 children from my first marriage and we have 2 gorgeous little girls together. He took on my other 2 without even blinking and always says he has 4 kids which is wonderful. My DD 15 and DS 12 go to their sperm donor oops sorry fathers house every second weekend and on xmas hols. We have a great family and are really happy most days lol. Back to school today thank goodness love them dearly but they just get bored at home and thats when the fights start, I am sure you can all relate. Look forward to chatting soon

Sorry ladies for being MIA but school holidays are here and I took my girls camping. My boys went to their dads for a week and they went camping to lol. Everyone came home yesterday so we have a full house again. My house looks like a tornado went through it but I'm to tired and nauseas to clean it. Wish I could pay for a cleaning crew to come through and make it sparkle DF and DS1 have undercoated the bathroom last night and while it looks good it makes our bathroom look so much smaller. I will have to get some accessories to make it look better.

Hi and welcome to sweetpea and nina

OMG Claire hope your DSD is ok my DS has had 2 so I know what you are going through

Hello i just found this thread so decided to say hi as well
    Im 40 married and expecting my 3rd any day/week now. We have DS 10 DSS 19 (off at unit interstate) DSS 16 nearly and ours 28 mths DS .
    This is my first marriage and DH second and we have been together since Jan 2007 and married for 18 mths so not that long at all.
    My son goes to his fathers every other weekend and half the holidays and like others thankgod school has gone back as they do get bored and want to live inside and hover around us grrrr
    The DSS did live with their mum but that didnt last long with their mum going a tad mad and throwing them out to live with their dad (so here they are). We have had some rough moments in the past 2 yrs with trhe oldest DSS but hopefully he is growing out of the attitude etc etc slowly but surely being away at school/uni . I have hps of stories re me and the boundaries with the DSSs......

welcome nina21 and bubno.3 great to see you here
    nina you sound like a happy household thats great!
    bubno3 your place sounds a bit lke mine goodluck with the baby any day now and if you dont mind sharing your stories about boundaries that would be great as my situation of late is very much being driven by what my husband says and its frustrating for me as we need to agree on boundaries i think as both my dss are pushing the limits lately

kimb hope the bathroom is sorted soon how far along are you in the pregnancy i suffered nausea also not nice

hello to everyone else and hope the return to school has been smooth

ps we are shaping up to being a good blend of different types of families
    Last edited by marlin; October 4th, 2010 at 01:13 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast