Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tattoos

Oh Sushee I just adore that idea!! I love all of your tatts! Always have!

Slyder that is a great tattoo and meaning!

I love the meanings behind tattoos!

I have one on my lower pack that is a celtic pattern. Nothing overly special but I got it when I left my XH and it is hugely symobolic to me. One of my New Years resolutions this year is to get another tattoo incorporating Emerson's name.

I am thinking of getting one on the inside of my left wrist, just saying Em's name and perhaps incorporating his start sign. I also would love to have one the middle of my back between my shoulder blades and one on the back of neck and one on my foot/ankle... lol I'll get there one day!

i think i'm with Slyder in loving the meaning behind the tattoo more than the actual ink!

my bro has three tattoos - first was a dragon on his ankle - he and best friend both got them for 21st birthdays

the other two he needed his little sister to hold his hand! he got a playing card on his leg, with his friends nickname - sounds weird, but the friend was killed in a motorbike accident a few months before, and there was an incident with them, lots of alcohol, and a six of diamonds. very few people know what it means and probably look at him thinking "what the??", but it has strong meaning for him and i think it's awesome

his third tat is his three kids names and DOB's on his arm - but the names are written in chinese, and the DOB's are cursive lettering that can't be read unless you're up close and really concentrating.

Butterfly_Princess Guest

I have one, but it has no REAL meaning to me, i just have a obsession with me to you bears so i got my fave pic of one tattooed on my lower back to the right. Ill prob get DP's name put in it at some point soon Ill get a pic of it!!
    DP has one on his upper arm, its his star sign (capricorn) so the goat with a fish tail. he loves it, and i love it too!!
    He wants to get the name of our daughter tattooed on him too. He just isnt just where. I wouldnt mind getting her name put on me too somewhere, not sure where either.

Default my tattoos

i have my sons name on my right ankle, i have a little design that i drew up myself on the back of my neck ( i drew it when i was going through alot of self discovery), i have one on my right wrist which is, as above, one i did myself it is a star with celtic designs on each side, A BIG Sun on the top half of my back because i believe that the sun gives life to everything, so in order to have life we need the sun, and i also have 6 chinese symbols down my spine, FRIEND ( because friends are an important part of my life) ANGEL which is 2 symbols ( because one day i am going to be one and so is everyone else) HONESTY (because i dont believe that u get anywhere in life by lying) FAITHFULL ( because i am faithfull to myself and my son) WOMAN ( because i am female and i believe in myself)

One of my friends brothers had a love heart with a rose and "Your Name" written on it, used to use it to pick up girls by saying "If 'your name' is tattoo'd on my arm will you go out with me?" lol

Quote Originally Posted by CelticMoon View Post
    One of my friends brothers had a love heart with a rose and "Your Name" written on it, used to use it to pick up girls by saying "If 'your name' is tattoo'd on my arm will you go out with me?" lol
    Ack! *gags* Did it ever work?

I've always wanted Astro Boy tatooted on the top of my right hand butt cheek.

shows how deep my tatooing self-expression goes huh!

I have four tat's all with special meaning..

My first is of a small bunch of flowers, it has two large stems reaching up and looking away, and three in a smaller bunch of three facing forwards, when i got it i was only 18, and really liked it for some reason, and now to me, the two flowers facing away are my angels, and the three flowers in a tight bunch are my dreams of having three children to raise... hasnt happened yet, but its my inspiration..

Next i got a symbol of Friendship on my left shoulder, again i was young and got it done with my "best friend" we both got the same symbol- we are now no longer friends as she liked to sleep with my boyfriends.... so um, now it symbolises to me that I know the true meaning of friendship, and i hope she cringes every time someone asks her what hers means...

The next one i got was a half moon with a face and a green eye facing out, with a swirly ring of stars around it, to me its my feedom. I got it done with my DH(then boyfriend) by a friend who had just started tattoing, and i was living in a new city with new people totally experiencing life and feeling good. It will always remind me of being young and free and happy!!!

My next one is a small capricorn symbol on my right hip, a little vs one which is small and cute and i look at like my stamp of Capricornian!!

I am wanting to get another one on my lower middle back, and another to Symbolise my angels better including their names and dates, but i am yet to do it. As i am pregnant now, it will wait till Sprout arrives, and i may look into designing something to incorporate all my children.

Now DH..... where do i start!! LOL I will start at the top of his body and work down!!!!

On the back of his neck is the chinese symbol for Courage which is a two picture symbol

Right under that is a crossbow of fatherhood

And right under that is the symbol of his celtic family heritage

Under that is a long celtic sword running down his spine, with a skull in the handle of the sword- the sword has these cool wings that expand acroos his shoulder blades

On his left shoulder is celtic arm band and underneath that is a love heart with his daughters name in it

On his right shoulder he has a circle with the third eye in the centre- this was actually his first tattoo, and it symbolises someone or something always watching out for him.
    Under that he has an arm band with the male symbol

On his right leg he has a picture of a skull dude with long hair!! It never got finished, so its just the out line and not my favourite, but it was funny having to shave his leg for him to get it done!!
    Last edited by ~StarBright~; March 4th, 2008 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Had to double check Dh's positions and pictures!!! LOL

I have two. One on my ankle which is a bumble bee with a dotted fly trail. My sister drew it for me as a present for my 18th birthday. It is a representation of my name Melissa = honeybee. My dad was furious at me for getting a tattoo, but, being the acountant that he is. I told him it only cost $50 and if I span that out over the rest of my life even if I only live to 70 or so is is only $1 a year. great value!

The other is on my lower back and is the outline of Australia, It is actually the 2001 federation celebration symbol. It symbolisies to me that we must grow and change to reach our Ultimate Identity, this is what life is, the constant change and growing to strive for our goals. It is also a show of patriotisum I love and am proud of being Australian. What other courntry has started from such dodgy beginings and (for the most part) now has a fantastic culture and sense of welcome to everyone.
    .................................................. ......................................
    tattoo number 3 will be;
    Haven't got the design or location yet but i have the inspiration. I'm opening my own coaching business and have called it Ultimate Identity. I want to get a tattoo to Inspire me when working as sometimes it can be overwhelming to relying totaly on myself.

Tattoo Number 4 will be;
    My animal guide. which is a Spider. I want to get this right before i do it, as a spider on a girl could just look terrible.

Others will be any kids I have, Thier names and a picture of their animal guides.

I'm also thinking of something to remember our Tiny Dancers, the grief is still a little new so I'll have to wait for that one.

Warm and Sunny Smiles Mel

Quote Originally Posted by briggsy's girl View Post
    i have a japenese symbol of strength on my ankle
    Freaky! Me too!

I got mine just before my H and I were about to start raising my sister. I was really nervous about how I was going to cope and I remembered that while grieving my Mum's death I would often tell myself "I am strong". It has been an amazing reminder of my strength at times when I really needed it. I love it!!

A string of 13 hearts down my spine to commemorate the 13 embryos angels I had transferred but didn't stay with me.
    Sushee - this sounds awesome, I hope you do it!

I only have one at the moment (but dying for more!). It is a butterfly in a celtic design in the small of my back. I had it done when I was about 22. Nothing really deep and meaningful about it, there's just something about butterflies that speaks to me. I got it in a celtic design to represent my family heritage, thought that would be cool when I saw it.

I am planning another as soon as I've finished b'feeding. It will be a small butterfly on my inner wrist. It will represent the baby we lost, the struggle that came after and will remind me to never give up hope...I am also contemplating adding the words 'meus angelus' (my angel) in cursive.

I also want to add my children's names and am thinking of expanding on the tattoo on my back to do this. I wouldn't mind turning this into a bigger piece, would be very easy to do.

There is also another butterfly I am contemplating on the inside of my hip, would like to put it over some scars from my surgeries...not 100% sure they'll be able to go over them but we'll see.

DH has quite a few small ones all accumulated on his upper arm, they don't really have much meaning apart from one he designed himself, he used to be quite the artist when he was younger, unfortunately I haven't seen him pick up a sketch book in years But he has our DDs handprint with her name and dob on his inner arm and will be adding one for DS too (maybe a footprint this time).

Cool thread!!

Question

Ok I have read this thread and it has reignited my desire to proceed to have one done to commemorate the birth of my little one. DH wants one too - we have been talking about it since we became pregnant but have no idea about where to start with looking for a design etc etc. Also I am totally a sook although am somewhat reformed (I managed accupuncture late in pregnancy and the spinal during my c section both of which I was previously deathly afraid of!)

Here are some questions out here for you who have had your bodies adorned:

1. How did you come up with idea for yours?
    2. Did you wait to make absolutely sure you wanted to go ahead with it? In the case of those having had them done to commemorate little ones did you wait until you had all of your children before you went ahead?
    3. Did it hurt? What does it feel like?
    4. How did you find the tattoo artist who completed the job/s for you?
    5. For the ladies does having the tattoo have an impact on labour/hospitalisation/pregnancy etc?

Thanks for your input!
    Belinda

i will answer what i can.

I started by getting the design I wanted drawn. (This can be done by yourself a friend or a freehand tattooest.) I then put this picture in my wallet and on the back of the toilet door (Sounds wierd I know but i saw it everyday a couple of times a day) I left it there for a year. this is howlong it takes me to get annoyed with things. If i still liked it after a year I got it. I picked the spot on the body based on what bits don't go as saggy in old age.

To find a tattooest I started with a google search for freehand tattoo awards then looked for recomendations, I then went and saw him and asked to see his work.

what it feels like, this does depend on your pain tolerance level. I think it feels like somone drawing on you really really hard with a felt tip pen. (Those ones that have metal holding the tip) Others say it is like cutting yourself with a razorblade. I fell asleep when I got the one on my back because it is a constant same kind of pain. It's like eating chilli, once you've had it it doesn't get any hotter it is just constantly hot.

PS. If your going to get the tattoo on your belly wait untill you've finished having kids. A friend of mine had hers done after each birth. One moved from her pelvis to the middle of her side. another has a strech mark through the middle and looks lopsided and a little saggy.

hope this helps

Mel

smiles4u Guest

Wink

I so so so love checkin out tatts on people

... But I've gotta say until this day I still av not seen a tatt on someone I've met that I could honestly say looked g8 or had a wow factor

Sometimes I think some people either don't carry em off well & then they look cheap & tacky on em or there simply r not enough fantastic tattooist's out there ??

I av 2 girlfriends who av got a ton of tatts done btw em ova the past 2yrs & OMG they look so faint & faded only afta a few mths & the tattoo arrangement looks so nasty & cheap, ... Sadly I use 2 think of em as attractive women BUT these days the tatts jst seem 2 make em look like a couple of rough chicks that wld pic a fight wt u, ... augh but I love em cause they r my gorgeous life long friends & OMG wld neva breath a word of my thoughts 2 em about their tatts If anything I encourage em 2 get more tatts as I can c it makes em happy

... Gee, I'd b savin my money up 2 fly 2 the States 2 get em done at Miami Ink ... Now, there is real art in their tatts wrk

Going to reignite this thread because I love hearing the meanings behind peoples ink.

I have a small daisy design on my hip, this was my first and celebrates my independence. I was 18 when I got it done.
    The other is across my lower back (tramp stamp ) and is a vine type thing with my star sign in the middle.

My next one is my daughters name on my inner wrist (over my lifes blood)
    and the other is to extend my back work up my spine. I'm needing help designing this one as I have zero artistic ability but have a vision in my head of what I want. So if any one would like to take pity on me..., I am more than happy to take offers.

I have a phoenix, the bird of fire, on my groin area, I got it when I was 17-18, as it is a creature of endless life and is constantly dies and is reborn, it is my insperation to never give up and it doesnt matter what life dishes out I will rise above it.

Yes I have 2, both on my left ankle/foot. One is my hubbys signature & the other is a tribal butterly!

I have a Butterfly with tribal around it on my lower back It a symbol of me being free and well flying the nest... ( i got it when i moved out of home) and recently added my kids names and DOB under it.

I AM and was pertified of needles but its so not that bad... I just sat there didnt flinch, cry or pass out like i thought i would... I'm planing my next one for my wrist... Not sure what it'll be just yet... something meaningful i'm sure...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast