Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes General Chatter #5

Becci - I've checked my levels at home too quite a few times and all have been fine as well. I am just so scared they are going to tell me that I do have diabetes. God I hated having it when I was pregnant, I can't imagine living the rest of my life with it. Good luck for when you go for your test and please pop in and let me know!!!

I will let you all know for sure and I hope that you do the same when you pluck up the courage too lol
    Take Care

Yeah I'll definitely let you know, thats if I ever pluck up the courage and go for the test.

yeah I'm in the same boat re not wanting to do the test, plus no-one has referred me for the test... even though I had my obs check-up at 6 weeks. So I've just checked some BSL's after a pizza and full-strength coke drink and it was fine. Plus, I wasn't even diagnosed off the GTT anyway, I was diagnosed off high BSL's (cos I vomited in the GTT and stuffed it up).. so really I figure that BSL's pretty much tells you what you need to know anyway... still, be interested to hear how you all go.

I need to lose some weight to reduce my diabetes risk.. was just looking at Xmas piccies... eeep I figure I'll pretend I've got diabetes for a month or two to lose weight - eating healthy should do it, and it reminds me that if a month or two is hard, imagine the rest of my life!!! Good incentive.

I just found out i have GD, this is my 1st pregnancy.

Its pretty scary, you girls all seem so nice, is it okay if i join this thread.

Guess all the bad foods that are yummy are off limits for a while, hoping i can control this thing with my diet

Still cant believe i failed my GTT , dont think it has sunk in yet.

Welcome kellbell! Sorry you have had to join in here though!
    It's pretty quiet at the moment. I think most girls have had their bubs by now.
    I was diagnosed at 17w so have been dealing with GD for 10weeks now (only 13 to go!!). It was diet controlled until about 3 weeks ago when I went on insulin just before bed to help my fasting levels which were always a little bit high. I have been able to keep all my other levels under control through diet though.
    If you have any questions, fire away. I'm sure someone will be able to help you!

Hi Kellbell,

Congratulations on your pregnancy, sorry to hear about your GD though.

I was diagnosed with GD at 29wks but was lucky enough to control it through diet alone. It can be hard trying to find foods that done make your blood sugar level sky rocket. Once I found foods that worked for me I seemed to stick to them, it did mean that I was eating the same sort of thing over and over though but as long as it was working I didnt care. They recommend to stick to a low GI diet. You can google what sort of foods are low GI. Good luck and ask questions if you need to, the girls in here are great.

As for me, Lara is now 11wks old and I still haven't been for my post birth GTT. I was meant to go when she was 6 - 8 wks old. I am still way to scared. I know I have to though. I have a meeting next month with my GD educator and she'll go off if I haven't been for my test by then. I am just soooo scared of being told I have diabetes. It was hard enough dealing with it while pregnant, I don't know how id go having it forever.

Hey Kell, welcome. Im a bit the same a s leigh, eating same stuff everyday, but its getting me through.

beans beans and more beans

baked beans, green beens, 3 bean mix.... they seem to magically lower my BSL like nothing else does. and the family just has to put up with the side effects

hi all i was diagnosed with GD 2 weeks ago but due to my fasting levels being high i now have to go onto insulin at least its only once a night but i am still nervous about jabbing my stomach with the needle.
    i am living off peanut butter multigrain sandwiches and lots of yougurt as i have found these dont effect my levels that badly.
    i really hope to have it gone when she comes - which should hopefully be in 8 weeks.

take care
    treena

Treena, I have had the same problem with my fasting levels and am on insulin at night. Don't worry about the needle though, it really doesn't hurt as much as the finger*****! How many units are you on? I started on 2 for a week and that has been increased to 6 for the last few weeks and my fasting levels are now around 4.5 most mornings.
    Yesterday I started 2 units before lunch. I was really beginning to struggle with lunch as any kinds of bread sends my levels up. I was getting lots of 7's and as I lost another .5kg this week the Dr said I need to eat a bit more so put me on insulin so I can manage a whole sandwich or something similar. So, jabbing myself twice every day now. Haven't had a level over 6 the last 2 days so it seems to be working. I just hope it stays that way as I don't want to go on any more.

Hi To all the new ladies.. Sorry to have to meet under these circumstances.

I'm in the "baby has arrived" group so my GD is behind me. My DD is almost 5 months old now and doing very well. I've had my post birth GTT and all good. I was diet controlled from 29 weeks till birth. DD was 11 days early and I had a natural birth with no induction and no GD related intervention.. Feel free to send questions.

Leigh - It seems to be the thing with all GD girls, too scared to go for the follow up test. I think the stress of knowing I had to take it was worse than just getting it over and done with and getting rid of that "should i be eating this" process eat time i grabbed something to eat. I say just go and get it over with so you can relax and quit stressing about it.

Megan - I had the same problem with bread. In the time I had GD I only had 3 levels over 7.0 and 2 of those were from bread. It took me a few tries to find a bread that didn't spike my levels. Even a LOW GI bread made my levels go higher than the normal wholemeal bread I eat. ANSWER - Try the BAKERS DELIGHT Wholemeal Vienna Loaf. I could eat as much as I liked and it didn't affect me at all!! So i lived on cheese and tomato sandwiches, or tuna, cheese tomato.. I could even had a few slices with my dinner so give it a try. May not work but worth a shot.

For all the new people, might be worthwhile reading over our old threads because alot of us posted food suggestions that worked for us so could give you some ideas to try.

Best thing to do when trying new foods is to try them during your snack time. Don't try a new food during your b'fast, lunch or dinner as you have less time between having that food and when you need to test. At least if you try them during your snack, you essentially have double the time for your body to deal with them.

I actually recorded all my meals for the entire time I had GD so if anyone wants some suggestions I'm sure I could type up some of them and email them through.. Once I found a little variety I pretty much stuck to the same stuff for the rest of the time. I must say I didn't really get bored though and towards the end I was even sneaking in some small treats.. Everyone is different though and a food that might work for someone may not work for another. It is all trial and error!!

Also, I have an unopened box of test strips here for the accu-check performa glucose meter. If anyone wants it please PM me and I'm happy to post it to you. I only used 1 box of the script so the other box is sitting unopened in my draw. I'd rather someone use them than just throw them away.

Good luck all and happy testing (if thats possible)!

hi ladies...

mostly, :yeahthat: just go with what Belinda said , reading the old posts is really helpful, and there's lots of people here to answer questions or just listen to a vent!

I'm also in the "already had baby" group too (can't believe your DD is nearly 5 m.o. Belinda!). I was diagnosed about 29 weeks too, and put on insulin about 3 weeks later. My insulin never went THAT high, starting on 8 units, and topping out at 18 units just before birth (once a day only). I'm also wheat-free and can't eat various other items, so eating low GI was a very interesting journey indeed. Baked beans were a guaranteed high BSL for me (weird huh!), but rye sour dough breads worked well. I also found I could sneak a few treats towards the end as well (or maybe I just became more relaxed! I found I totally stopped putting on weight, but didn't lose any (so only gained 5.5kg total during the PG which was kinda a bonus!

I was induced at 39+1 day, so happy to answer any questions about induction, you're welcome to PM me or ask here. And I'm also one of those wussy ones who hasn't done her GTT yet! But absolutely no-one, I mean no-one has told me to do it either! Guess I am a big girl and could organise it myself....

Anyway, good luck with it all, hope you're all going well - and for those freshly diagnosed, it DOES get easier. Give yourself time to have a whinge and wail and you'll feel a bit better in time.

Cheers,
    Belfie

megan - i am on 6 units but it is having no effect on my fasting level - its actually higher so i think i will have to up it. it took me a good 20min to jab myself on the 1st night, last night was ok i think its cos the needle is so long. i dont have a problem with the 9 grain multigrain bread i can have up to 3 slices without my levels going above 6.7. i really hope this all goes away once she is here.

hi girls,

ive also just been diagnosed with gd. ive been doing the finger test for 3 days now, and eating all the right things and going to the gym for a walk on the treadmill daily, but my bsl seeems to be getting higher not lower! i have only had one or 2 readings under 7. im just wondering how long they give yo for the diet chnges and excercise to kick in before they jump into insulin?
    im truly terrified of the needle...please give me some reassurance as to how bad (or not!) it is! and do you really put it in your tummy? thats where baby is!!!!!
    thanks girls!

Mine too have been trending up this week, dosent seem to matter if i eat healthy, i hope i dont have to have insulin either. Im dreading going back to the doctor next week

Tina - It all depends on your Dr or DE really. And don't stress about the needle (easy to say I know). But trust me you'll hardly feel it. I have always said that taking your BSL is like cutting your finger off (pain wise) compared to taking insulin. You feel the needle break the skin and then that's it! They are really fine needles too and are only short (usually 8mm sometimes 6mm if you're slim and heavily preg). Just remember to pich the skin real well (hard when 9 months at times) and you won't feel much at all.
    I was terrified of having to do it, but wouldn't hesitate to do it again (but only if I have to IYKWIM).
    Good luck and I do hope that your level get better.

Tina, I was seeing my DE weekly when first diagnosed and after about 4 weeks the numbers started creeping up. I had 3 readings over 7 in a 3 day period and she sent me to an endo. From there he monitored more closely and I managed to stay of insulin for another 4 weeks until they started to creep up again. I now take insulin before lunch and bed and honestly the needles are not that bad. As Becci said, the finger ***** is worse and sometimes I don't even feel the needle go in when I do my injections.

Hi Tina saw you in the belly buddy group today, sounds like we are in the same boat. My fasting levels in the morning seem to be getting higher, hoping to stay off the insulin as well.
    Do you girls put it in your leg? or does it go in your tummy?

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast