Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes General Chatter #5

Snowchickie, good to hear your GTT results came back ok.

I am back at the endo tomorrow for him to see how I've been going. I was still getting high levels until Monday night when I opened a new box of test strips. Since then, my highest has been a 6.4 and all the others in the 5's. Interesting...I had been getting lots between 7-8 with the other box of strips. I dunno whats going on.

hiya

congrats on having Jaylan - love the name. Will read your birth story soon.

Sorry i haven't been around but things have been hard around here. I've been put on modified bedrest and threatened that if i dont rest then they will put me in hospital for total bedrest. Then i've had the pain of an unstable pelvis as well. The joys.

I've also had the 1 hour GTT done still waiting for my results which i don't receive till 9th - i'm thinking of giving the midwife a call and seeing what they are.

Welcome new comers to the thread. I have 3 boys and only got GD with my last son. Was diagosed at 24 weeks and was on the diet for 2 weeks before being put on insulin. Started of having it at night because my fasting BSL were high then in the morning and then 4 times a day. I was told to increase my insulin by +2units or +4 if i had BSl over a certain amount. Just before i was induced the amount of insulin i was taking was around 20-28 units before breakfast, before lunch and before dinner then 80units before bed. It was classed as a very high amount.

I was induced at 36 weeks due to high insuling, GD, borderline Pre-E. Isaac stayed with me for about a hour before being moved to Special Care and stayed there for the 3 days i was in hospital. His BSL were low. Took him home and then he ended back into special care due to jaundice for another 3 days. Otherwise now hes a happy healthy 16mth old.

With your readings if you are finding you're getting different readings - makes sure your hands are very clean and try again. What glucose metre are you using? Can you test on two different machines maybe? I think you can test at a pharmacy maybe and then test using your one to see the difference. Try not to stress because that can effect your levels.

Oh for the new comers - i'm 27 weeks pregnant with twins and at high risk of getting GD again along with PROM and Pre-E. So far my GD tests have come back negative but still waiting for the results of hte last one. Ask away any questions i will try to answer them.

Hi to everyone else.

Angel

Hi everyone,No news here from me. My levels are going just fine. i've bought a box of chocs for myself for Christmas Day that are sitting on the bench just taunting me. I should've waited a little longer before buying them but they were on special and I couldn't help myself. It really is a test of willpower but it's for the best for the baby so that's what I keep telling myself. Bring on Christmas though! Hahaha. I don't normally eat much lollies or chocolate but if I'm told I can't, that's all I want! Raisin toast is a craving at the moment too but bread really sets my levels off so need to avoid that too.
    CONGRATULATIONS TRAC and WELCOME JAYLAN! I have a friend who called their son Jaylen. I really like that name. Hope everything is going well xx

Belinda - YAY on your results coming back normal! What a relief!!!

tennykins - I know what you mean about it being hard to keep it up for your own sake. hang in there!

Angel - hope your next result is clear.

Hi to everyone else that I've missed xx

Hi Ladies,

Trac - congratulations on the safe arrival of Jaylan!!

no big news from me - levels are ok, highest ive had is 8.3 but that was because i had stir fry hokkien noodles then didnt do my usual walk after dinner - since then have averaged anywhere from 5.6-6.8 after each meal and my morning bsl is always between 4.7-5.4.

Leigh - insulin shots are ok now, i just dont think about it - just do it now - i go back to my endo on Monday so he can check my levels but im hoping at this stage i dont need to increase my insulin - 12 units is good for me at the moment but i know as the pregnancy progresses the liklehood of dose being increased is high

Have just come back from seeing my OB and then the endo. Both are happy with my levels since increasing my walking to 1+hrs per day. Hope they can stay where they're at for a while longer so I can avoid insulin.
    Spoke to my OB a bit about induction. He said he generally doesn't induce his GD patients unless they are on insulin and having trouble controlling their BSL's. Even then, he is likely to leave it until 40w. If I end up on insulin, I can expect a scan at 36w to check the size of bub but hopefully I can avoid induction.

Hi lovely ladies. I have peeking in here occasionally but as of today I actually belong here

This is my 3rd bub and 2nd time with GD. I just got all the info and a test thingy today and have to monitor levels for a week and go back for another check up. Its been 8 yrs since my laast PG so I will probably have lots of questions for you all as I get used to whats going on. Just praying that I dont need insulin cos for me its scary enough just getting the drop of blood out.

Anyways, take care, looking forward to getting to know you all a little better.

Myson, sorry to read about your diagnosis. I hope you are able to keep it under control and don't need insulin. It's been about 4 weeks since my diagnosis and so far so good. I hated doing the tests to begin with, but don't even think about it now. Walking has definitely been the big thing for me....I walk all the time now and my levels have improved heaps.

im thinking of getting into a swimming routine. prefer that to walking and its starting to heat up here. if i got in the pool and did laps with a kick board or 'jogged' sitting on a pool noodle how long would everyone recommend? doc says i should walk 45 mins a day! is 45 mins swimming the same? so not looking forward to it. i am not athlethic at all, i hate exercising.... i prefer things like horse riding and gardening for physical activity but doc says it has to be a cardio workout.

Myson, how have you been going with your levels?
    I would think that 45 minutes of swimming would be equivalent maybe even a bit better than walking. If I had easier access to a pool, then swimming would be my choice as I'm not a fan of walking either....especially around here in dandy ranges.

Hey Megan. Not too bad. Its been a week now of monitoring for me (6x a day) and my levels have been slightly over a few times but not too drastic. The strange thing is even when my last reading for the day is good (under 6) i am still getting a higher reading the next morning (around 6.5). I went to dietitician/diabetes educator and she told me to have a small, low GI, protein snack just before bed to help with this. But it hasnt changed to morning reading yet.

She was very helpful with some other tips that I didnt know though... ie.... caffeine puts your result up even if its suger free, so wait after tea/coffee/dietcoke before taking blood. Also exercise puts the result up if you do it too soon after cos all the sugar is stirred up in your blood before its gets used up, so do the reading 20 mins after exercise.

So its all early days for now, and it looks like I will be able to control with diet and exercise only, if try hard!

How is everyone else doing?

Myson, I often get higher readings in the morning than in the evening. Have tried a before bed snack and it doesn't seem to make a difference. My DE says it's just hormonal and there isn't much that can be done. Suddenly in the last week or so it has been in the normal range. My endo seems to think that it is due to losing a couple of kgs which has probably helped insulin production and the fact that I have now being doing this for about 5 weeks and am starting to get good results.

I was told to exercise an hour after eating. I have found that really helps. If I miss a session my levels are a bit higher than usual, and if I miss a couple of days (like early this week when I could barely walk!) then I notice all BSL's start to creep up a bit.

Sorry this is a quick post as I'm part way through some baking..

First in best dressed here!!! I have an unopened box of testing strips to suit the Proforma meter.. If anyone wants them just PM me your address and I'll post them to you.. The box is completely sealed and unopened..

Saw the endo yesterday and he has put me on insulin for my fasting levels. I'm only on 2 units before bed, so I did my first shot last night and had a normal reading this morning so that was good. The injections don't bother me at all, used to them after a few rounds of IVF, and the finger pr!@king hurts more. Still holding on to the hope that I'll be able to control my levels during the day through diet. so far so good.

FREE TO GOOD HOME - TEST STRIPS

I have an unopened box of test strips to suit the Accu Check Performa glucose meter. My script was for 2 boxes but i only used 1 of them before i had DD so the other is sitting unopened.

If anyone would like it just PM me your postal details and I'll post it to you. Would rather give to someone than them be wasted.

Default Breathing

Gestational diabetes would be really a tough one ! breathing, and meditation would help and relaxation techniques add to the benefits

Hello Ladies
    I am so sorry that i haven't posted for such a long time but i have been thinkin gof you all.
    I am hoping that all your levels are going well and that you are all not needing insulin bu tot those who are on insulin remember that it is medicine for your baby (that was the advice i was given and i foloowed it all the way through my pregnancy).
    AFM - I have been very busy here with Jaylan and Brearna. Jaylan has been pretty good most of the time, he is now on formula as bf was just not working for either of us, so he has been on formula for about 2 wks now and things are definately better than what they were.
    For those who do not know me this is my story.
    I have one daughter who was induced at 39+6 days due to Preclampsia, i have had 3 mc one prior to her birth and 2 after. i fel pregnant with Jaylan in March08. I was diagnoised with GD around the 30 wk mark after my blood test came back at a 9.2. I was sent off to do the GTT (3 hr test) but was unable to do it as when they checked my bloods before testing my fasting level was already a 6.something. SO they sent me home and i was diagnoised with GD. Within a week i was put on insulin as diet did not help with my levels at all. I started at 10 units and 12 units by the time i had Jaylan i was on 42 units and 46/48 units. I was induced at 38+4 days as my levels would not settle and they thought in ahd a big bub. After 31 hours of 3 lots of prostien gel, having an insulin fusion and nothing happening and sitting around a hospital, Jaylan arrived after a 1hour and 10 minute labour. He was not good when he arrived but they got him breathing as apparently due to the quick labour he went into shock. He satyed with me the whole time we were in hospital, he had low blood sugars for about 24 hours but they topped him with formula which didn't help as he threw most of it up but eventually his levels went to normal and all was good. He was jaundice and we went home after 3 days were we were able to get into our own routine at home. Jaylan was born 8pd 11oz, 52cm,with a 37cm HC. He was a biggish bub but not overly huge.
    If anyone has any questions about GD, inductions or anything please elt me know i will be happy to help out where i can.
    Take Care everyone and have a HAPPY NEW YEAR

Hi Girls,

I've been thinking of you all as well. Hopefully you are all managing your GD ok and not letting it get you down.

I was meant to go for my post birth GTT at 6 - 8 wks. Lara is now 9 wks and I still haven't been. I didn't want to go before xmas in case I was told my GD hadn't gone away. I am a nervous wreck and dont want to go. I am so scared it wont have gone away. I know I need to go so I am going to book myself in for the test either next week or the week after. My family is still here and don't go back until next week so think I'll wait until they've gone. Excuses, excuses I know. My DH keeps telling me I will be fine coz I managed my GD with diet alone but it I'm not confident. I've been really thirsty lately and I am scared its coz of diabetes, although I do live in Far North Qld and the temp is like 34 degrees everyday.

Sorry for my vent girls. Hope you all had a great xmas and have a happy new year!!!

Leigh don't stress possum. Ethans 5 months old and I still haven't been! Naughty I know but I'm worried too, but shouldn't be. I have checked my levels at home a number of times and they are all fine (even after a huge potato chip and choccie binge!), so should be ok, but what if?...
    I guess the dr will smack my hand when I go for Ethans 6 month check up lol

Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast